Anonymous
Years ago

Kestelman is a G

G is for genius in this case.

The league was on life support. Tigers were about to fold. Sponsors walking out the door.

Now I sit here watching a thriving United and Phoenix on FTA while I've got the app for when I pop out in a min.

Ratings at highs.

Next stars a huge success. Generating great exposure.

Expansion a success.

ESPN, twitch, Facebook, NBL app. Never been so accessible.

Office talk is not limited to off season AFL talk and weather. There’s a genuine interest from people.

Talent is at an all time high.

Coaches are calm aka Will Weaver.

What a time to be alive.

Topic #46229 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

inb4 Cram reminds us that LK sucks.

Reply #771745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget tier 2 nbl1 now in 3 states, Hobart nbl team on the way.
Need to get wnbl sorted though under the same banner.

Reply #771747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #771757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone else drink the cool aid.

Reply #771760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone else drink the cool aid.

Reply #771761 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What the actual fuck are you on about?

Is Bogut a "Genius" too becuase he's good at Basketball?

I think maybe you should invest in a Dictionary, because I don't think it means what you think it means.

Besides, in ascribing any of this to "Genius" you completely miss the point.

As the saying goes, "Good Ideas are Cheap."

What LK has done, I would say is broadly threefold:
1) He has understood what it takes to have a successful NBL (and I'll give you a hint, its not a 500 member community club in buttfuck NSW.)
2) He has put his money where his mouth is. Bigtime, we're talking 10's of millions. And credit where its due, I think a lot of the money is basically a donation.
3) He has convinced others to do the same.

All of those media outlet for NBL have only come about because LK put the money into developing and producing the product, offering the networks a finished product at a bargain price.

Now detractors may say that he can afford it, and I suppose that's true, but it's still been a massive and sustained investment.

And unlike others who have backed individual teams, he hasn't pissed off after a couple of years.
Also, whilst he effectively controls the league, he hasn't been a dick about it.

People slag off his efforts in Taswegia, and obviously he is trying to milk the State Government for whatever he can, but it will still be a massive investment of HIS money.

Reply #771764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL well done dazz on totally missing the tone of the OP

Reply #771766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of BS. All LK has down is bank rolled a basket case. At some point he pulls out and either breaks even or makes a few bucks. For NBL to survive, again, it is to stand in its own two feet without an benefactor holding it up. We are starting to see some cracks this season with LK pulling back. We will know whether it's sustainable by mid-late 2021 season. No G, just plenty of $.

Reply #771777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You f..king knockers get life, yes he invested his money but he's changed the whole way the nbl and basketball in this country is managed. I for one hope he can make a dollar out of his investment. The league was just about to fold till he got there, even Gaze said close it down, yes Perth always had wealthy owner, they could’ve played themselves every week.

Well done LK and good luck with it, and I think anyone that has the foresight to take a dud product to where it is today is a genius.

Reply #771781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has improved the NBL in every key performance indicator. That is beyond just bank rolling it. The NBL has improved in every facet.

The man is a saviour.

Reply #771838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also what is D2.0 talking about? Did he even read my original post?

Reply #771840 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

There's stupid and then there's real stupid with D2.0
League needed cash injection, as in all leagues big markets outspend little ones. Tv deal needed to be done, exposure globally has happened with Bogut returning to warriors in cameo and next stars signings. Damn, we got nba back on fta. Wasn't a one man job but he had a major part to play. Have to say I'm very happy with state of things, people went out and did things instead of bitching the sky is falling.

Reply #771854 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also what is D2.0 talking about? Did he even read my original post?

Don't take it personally as he tends to do that in every thread.

Reply #771861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's stupid and then there's real stupid " Yep you are the Captain of that team, Nostraballmus.

Reply #771871 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Also what is D2.0 talking about? Did he even read my original post?"

Yes, sadly, I did, and as I explained you're wrong.
There's no "Genius" involved.

It's not even especially "clever".

I'm sure that over the years many smart people have had great ideas about how to improve the NBL. What they always lacked was the money and clout to make it happen.

Nick Marvin is a smart guy, and he did a fantastic job with the Wildcats. And to his credit, I would say that he was very in-tune with the Perth Community and what was needed here.
But that doesn't disguise that he was hired by Dr Jack to do the job, with the backing of Dr Jack's money and considerable clout.

Frankly, if it comes down to it, I don't think JL is as sharp or as "in-tune", but that doesn't really matter. He's doing the job asked, with LK's considerable wealth behind him.

Self-sustainability for the whole league is perhaps still a pipe-dream, but as long as we have deep pockets prepared to back individual teams, I think the league itself can be made sustainable, and that's what he doing.

Reply #771885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for bed Justin!
Go work on first ever

Reply #771895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks LK shouldn't be praised for what he’s done for the league and the sport in this country is an absolute dim wit.

If Larry hadn’t stood up, put a plan in place, and executed that plan of continuous improvement year on year, the league may have folded by now. In this tough business environment where investment and sponsorship isn’t easy to attract, he’s led the league towards a sustainable future where big name businesses have lined up to support the league.

Regardless of what anyone says, LK is an absolute legend and he will go down In history as one of the great figureheads of our sport

Reply #771907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have agreed until he did the following:
-Owning A team whist owning the League
-Gave his sons "First Ever" brand the apparel deal for the league (which is absolute overpriced shit)
-In an attempt to cut costs is televising games from a bunker and we all know how that is going.

I loved his initial messaging about not doing this for money, and growing the game blah blah

All 3 points above show otherwise

But yes, he has put his hand up and opened his wallet, having $ in his account he has done well!

Reply #771908 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"I loved his initial messaging about not doing this for money, and growing the game blah blah

All 3 points above show otherwise"

Show otherwise? Because those things are likely to give him a profit that will in any way negate his spending?

-

I think anyone who watches the NBL owes Larry a debt of gratitude, whether or not they agree with everything he does. Without Larry, there is no NBL. Period. If you have watched and enjoyed any games since 2015, then he's why.

And I am not sure what you think Larry is getting from this exactly. People seem to talk like he's somehow getting something from it that outweighs his enormous investment. The NBL is clearly a product he genuinely cares about so he is giving to it. He doesn't have to do that. We didn't have to have a billionaire fall out of the sky and save our league. And that is what he has done whether you've come to terms with it or not.

Is the league sustainable yet? No. If Kestleman leaves the guts of the whole thing falls through. But there is no evidence of him wanting to leave any time soon. And it seems every season there is some new idea or venture he's trying out to help make the league enjoyable and sustainable. What else do you really want from the guy?

Reply #771917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't cut costs on petty silly thing like a bunker for commentary when you do something really well (next stars) which means the WORLDS eyes are on you. One step forward, two steps back. Thats more the issue.
No one is arguing that he has single handedly kept the league afloat with his $$$. But he can do better.

Reply #771918 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The bunker is becoming less of an issue for me now. It's not as though other sports out there don't do similar. Everyone wants the league to be sustainable yet no one wants them to cut costs. You kind of can't have it both ways. Visually the bunker doesn't look as bad as it did. And I don't think the commentators sound any different. It's not ideal but it hasn't become a deal breaker for me.

Reply #771920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you love the score being added on before the basket is actually scored because of the delay, then yeah, bunker is great!

Reply #771922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God there's some straight losers on this forum! I try and stay away from name calling as much as I can, but losers is the only way to discribe some here! If you're not happy with the direction the league is going it's time to jog on! You are not the fans the league wants! You are muppet who will find a problem with every solution, and move te goal posts to ridiculous positions. We are ok without you bro! Keep it moving and take your ideas (more complaints) with you. Catch ya

Reply #771928 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The bunker isn't about cost cutting as I understand, it's a requirement of the ESPN deal.

Reply #771939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% this is Justin Kesselman posting! Hilarious.

Reply #771940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the original poster and I’m not in anyway tied to Kestelman. I didn’t even watch the NBL all that much a few years back. I’m an NBA guy. But I love it now.

And I reiterate my point Kestleman is a G. The man saved the NBL and took it to new heights.

There’s a lot of miserable people in this forum.

Reply #772041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The bunker isn't about cost cutting as I understand, it's a requirement of the ESPN deal."

It's an initiative which makes it a lot more affordable to produce, whether you call it cost cutting or something else.

Reply #772062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin, just concentrate on making first ever a brand
You can wash more than once without shit falling off or shrinking. To this point it is a brand which is laughed at and well known that daddys money bought his son a little project.

Reply #772081 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Has anyone said that it actually costs less?

It's a bizarre thing to implement in that 1) loses commentators carrying atmosphere, 2) commentators make wrong assumptions that the viewer makes because the cameras don't catch everything, 3) We have John Casey not commentating relegated to sideline reporter and that is absolutely bullsh*t.

I know ESPN and to an extent Fox Sports for boomers games, putting the commentators in a hub and not at the game, but it is super obvious and taints things a little.

Out of interest, what is the difference between a courtside reporter and commentators that are courtside? Any reason why we can't have two "courtside reporters" in Casey/Maher in Adelaide for instance, who happens to "courtside report" as if they are "commentators" the entire game?

Reply #772118 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Reply #772123 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

ha. my HTML skills suck

*Insert my standard response here*

Reply #772124 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Thanks for dropping by Larry.

Reply #772204 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

My money says Cram isn't LK ;)

Reply #772206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THanks KET. NO idea what you rambling about.

Reply #772355 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everyone, 2014: "Basketball need a Frank Lowy type."
Everyone, 2019: "It's horrible having one person behind everything."

Reply #772377 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's right however the majority on here don't seem to remember what happened in the NBL outside of maybe three seasons ago.

Reply #772493 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

^ yep. Most Aussie basketball fans are insufferable assholes with tall poppy syndrome who think they deserve the world from players and leagues but give nothing in return. A bunch of load mouth Clinton Gardiner types. We're lucky to even have a league. But we now have a league that is basically thriving and people want to complain about where commentators are?

Reply #772495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is the epitome of tall poppy syndrome.

Reply #772586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754