"Is it just me or do things just seem chaotic with the Breakers - guys are remonstrating, all the Breakers coaches are up and running the sideline, guys are complaining and biting at eachother on TO's etc. I have leadership concerns about this Breaker team and whether the coach really has control of this group?"
Absolutely! They've gone from the best run club in the league 5 years back to a complete shambles
Shamir looks like he’s completely out of his depth.
He’s definitely lost control of the playing group... not to mention is assistant who is constantly up pacing the sideline screaming. None of the players seems interested in listening to him with their attention all over the place during timeouts, especially Rice Jr.
But, none of it surprises me. Here are some observations from the Breakers season thus far, in order...
- Appointed new coach (and director of basketball operations!) with zero local experience
- Their best local player (Webster) who is a bit of a head case, asks for a release to go overseas but is refused and forced to stay!
- Sign Next Star RJ Hampton and promise he will start in the point guard position (the key on court leadership role). Team is being led on court by an inexperienced 18 year (albeit a very talented one) with a head case chucker (Webster) on one side, and another overrated import chucker (Henry) on the other
- Their pre-season preparation was extremely disjointed and included a distracting US tour where they got comprehensively thrashed... twice
- Their best and most experienced player (Hopson) goes down with injury... obviously not his nor their fault
- Coach (Director of Basketball Operations) Shamir during post game interviews appears relatively inarticulate while also having zero answers on why their performances are so poor and what they are going to do about it
- Replace Hopson with A-Grade stoner, headcase and well known distraction Rice Jr who is clearly a world class talent but is not the sharpest knife in the drawer nor a leader
Overall, it’s been an outstanding start to the year by the Breakers!