Mike Kelly
Dean bickerman
Trevor Gleason
Matthew Neilson

Any 2 or 3 of them would compliment brown and weaver well

Topic #46432 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He indicated he would bring his own supporting coaches and keep 1 australian coach as an olive branch token

Reply #777417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers culture crumbling before our very eyes
:(

Reply #777419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fill in the potential blanks. Who are the best for each position in the nbl or abroad?

HC Brown - Philadelphia 76ers

AC Weaver - Sydney Kings
AC Forde - Sydney Kings
AC
AC

Strength/Conditioning

Physio

Doctor

Manager

Reply #777422 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm expecting Brown - Weaver - Neilsen and then maybe it wouldn't surprise me if he brought along a 76ers assistant coach given all his talk of bringing in his guys.

Reply #777423 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's understandable for Brown to want assistant coaches that are already on the same page as him, but how much of his system is he really going to be able to implement in a 6 week period? If the Boomers retain many of the plays that gave them such a strong offensive system, an assistant or two familiar with it might be useful. It's a worry if the plan is to completely disband the system in place of familiarity for Brown.

Reply #777425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Boomers culture crumbling before our very eyes
:( "

boomers culture under lemanis sucked. lemanis picked players according to team fit and familiarity, not based on ability which was ridiculous.

lemanis also pissed off a few nba boomers, notably Simmons and Bolden. Brett brown taking charge of the team is the best thing ever for the boomers.

Brown will pick the best players available,( which means no nbl players) which is what lemanis should have done.

Reply #777426 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

I don't mind Longley no longer being involved. He and Lemanis seemed on the same page with selections, culture and so forth. With Brown coming in and a new approach to how the National program operates, better to change it up if Longley felt he couldn’t buy into coming changes.

In his own words from article on Pick and Roll "a clean break from the previous staff is what we’re after, as opposed to a half-pregnant situation where there are echoes of stuff"

Reply #777428 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm just looking forward to gloating when this blows up in BA's face next year. I feel sorry for those who will have to deal with both the Boomers' failure and the shattering of their world view.

Reply #777431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I'm just looking forward to gloating when this blows up in BA's face next year.)

Wow what a sad existence you have.
What are you going to do if the boomers do well, get angry?

Reply #777466 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

You guys realise we have never medalled right??? So who cares who he brings in....Lets watch this space and see what happens... Ben Simmons wasn't going to play for Lemanis anyways...

Reply #777515 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

This all seems to be based on 2 diametrically opposed views.

1. The NBA is the epitome of the sport and therefore we should only use NBA talent; and

2. The NBA is not the be all and end all, tournament play is under FIBA rules, so we need to be ready for FIBA games.

Personally, think we need NBA talent where possible in the playing ranks, but with FIBA coaching and strategies. Most NBA-based Australian players can adapt to FIBA games, so they should play the big tournaments. Some don't adapt well, and we might be better off with Euro or even NBL based players in a few positions (Motum, Landale, Bogut, Kay, Creek, Goulding but not necessarily all of them). Some NBL players will need to represent in qualifiers, so should at least be invited to trainings to stay within the system.

Reply #777552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum and Landale are doing ok in Europe but nothing great. Motum had a dnp in last night loss in euro league and Landale been coming off bench mostly.
Other than Baynes, Simmons, Inglis and Mills our other nba guys are not travelling that well or not playing much or in g league. It will be a fine balancing act on who to take.
I don't think nbl form should be just thrown out the window when picking the side.

Reply #777554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh green much better than lamelo. Be staggered if he aint in the boomers team for Tokyo. He is the dynamic scoring guard that is needed.

Reply #777569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I would draft in both Josh Green and Makur Maker for the 2020 Olympics. Youth is relevant if you are good enough, look at Lemelo and Doncic, both dominate their league at such a young age.

Reply #777575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is JG australia's first ever comparison to MJ?

Reply #777578 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Yes, I would draft in both Josh Green and Makur Maker for the 2020 Olympics. Youth is relevant if you are good enough, look at Lemelo and Doncic, both dominate their league at such a young age.

"

Except neither of them are LaMelo or Doncic. There are always going to be outliers but neither of those guys are proven to be better than adult professionals and I wouldn't waste an Olympic spot on them.

"Josh green much better than lamelo. Be staggered if he aint in the boomers team for Tokyo. He is the dynamic scoring guard that is needed."

Above who? Patty Mills? Chris Goulding? Potentially Bryce Cotton?

Reply #777586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

(I'm just looking forward to gloating when this blows up in BA's face next year.)

Wow what a sad existence you have.
What are you going to do if the boomers do well, get angry?
Not saying I want them to fail, I just think it's vastly more likely than the alternative and therefore gloating is the only thing I can look forward to.

And frankly if they do medal the Lemanis bashers are going to be insufferable.

Reply #777593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green got more size than patty. Patty was taken advantage of at times defensively. Green much better in transition than Goulding and would be better defensivley. Cotton is class. Green likely to be a top 10 draft pick

Reply #777632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is not ready imo, shooting is our go to and he has everything we need bar a consistent outside shot.
Mills, cotton and Goulding in, Sobey and Gliddon are out. Exum doesn't make it. Simmons and Delly running the point.

Yes, green played very well today against Pepperdine.

Reply #777637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

( Except neither of them are LaMelo or Doncic. There are always going to be outliers but neither of those guys are proven to be better than adult professionals and I wouldn't waste an Olympic spot on them. )

They are good enough and should be in the 2020 squad. And Brett Brown is no lamanis who picked players based on relationships (eg sobey, gliddon )

Reply #777680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo

Brown
76er assistant
Nielsen
Weaver
Forde

Strength and conditioning coach will also be super important. Physio also.

Reply #778333 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Brown not smart enough to keep any old coaches. I predict no Nielsen , no Forde and sadly no Weaver. The man is arrogant and foolish and doesn't realize how much he could use those three. Also no one talking about which NBA Australian s won't sign back up for this upcoming disaster. Why as a player would you sign on for a coach you don't know after he got everyone you liked fired. Definitely won't medal. Why go embarrass yourself.

Reply #778334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lemelo and Doncic, both dominate their league at such a young age."

Doncic, yes. LaMelo is close to the worst starting point guard in the NBL. Mind you, give him a year and he'll be challenging the best, if not surpassing them such is his development curve.

Reply #778336 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The wheels on the BA bus are shaky, very shaky...

Reply #778340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Rush is available. Hahahaha

Reply #778348 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"They are good enough and should be in the 2020 squad. And Brett Brown is no lamanis who picked players based on relationships (eg sobey, gliddon )"

I can guarantee you, assuming full availability, Josh Green wont be on the team.

"Brown not smart enough to keep any old coaches. "

Will Weaver has already said in a round-about way that he will continue on as assistant.

Reply #778352 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754