Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Breakers Dec 22

So far I'm 0/4 in this round. I'm making worse choices than Scomo going to Hawaii.

Today, the much improved Hawks host the Breakers. Both teams have had wins earlier in the round, so this one could go either way. This is a bottom of the table clash, but it couldn't be more interesting.

Is it just me, or have the number of brain farts committed by AJ diminished of late? He just seems to be a different player last couple of games, talking of which, how good is Sunday Dech? So good they named a day after him. Maybe Flinny's Boys are making a stand.

I should have known not to underestimate the Kiwis, even with all their troubles, but with Finn back. Just when they looked done, they must be secretly getting Jacinta Ardern hugs to fuel them up before the game.

Picking a winner is harder than a Mongrel Mob member. Breakers are 0/6 on the road, but have smashed the Hawks (with Ball) twice at home. They seem to have their measure.

Breakers by 6

Topic #46593 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully NZ can string another performance together like they played against SE Melbourne on Friday.
Hawks new players will be much better with some time together on the practice court so this should hopefully be a cracker.

Reply #782027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This should be nice and close. I've got a soft spot for the hawks and don’t respect the way the Walsh led breakers are behaving off the court, so hawks by 2 I think/hope.

Reply #782031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday Dech's hard work and extra training with melo is paying off, he’s turning into a real ball player maybe nba bound.

Reply #782037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there going to be any players left in Australia, there is so many nba bound.

Reply #782038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech needs a fringe boomers call up, Asia cup qualifiers.

Reply #782041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is 26 next week, a bit old to develop into NBA quality

Reply #782043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Breakers stay out of foul trouble they will win this.

Reply #782045 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Was that sitar music playing before Blanchfield's ft???

Reply #782050 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Refs over calling this one

Getting a bit over the constant whistle blowing this season

Reply #782053 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

15 fouls on NZ and it's not even half time yet

Reply #782054 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shane Heal vs. LaVar Ball at half time.

Reply #782055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Entertaining game after shit start by the hawks.

Reply #782057 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Was that sitar music playing before Blanchfield's ft???

Why is this a surprise? They've been playing sitar music at the Sandpit for two decades, it's a staple of theirs, although it kind of disappeared for a while recently.

Reply #782058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobson has replaced Singler as the new worst import in the league.

Reply #782060 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I've honestly never noticed the sitar music before. Even went to a few games when I lived in the Shoalhaven mid 90s

Reply #782061 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Shane Heal vs. LaVar Ball at half time."

Pure beat up. Interview at half time, Heal interviewed Lavar.

Reply #782062 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We have Derwayne to thank for that.

Re: sitar music - you can't be serious? I can't remember back that far but since the old stadium was nicknamed the Snakepit I assume it has its origin from there? Since the move to WIN it's always been played until recently. Good to have it back.

Reply #782063 | Report this post

Herve Villichaize  
Years ago

Glover has had 3 knee reconstructions.

Reply #782065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the hawks bring back AJ and Blanchfield or re sign the the young guys

Reply #782069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. USF on Loe.

Reply #782070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing in the Loe incident.
Ogilvy has been good for Illawarra this season

Reply #782072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much going right for Preston at the moment, but at least he looks like he gives a shit. Hobson on the other hand...

Reply #782075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 point game

Reply #782076 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Amazing stuff from Dech.

Reply #782077 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dech should've passed that.

Reply #782078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too hungry

Reply #782079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What a game. And not done yet

If this is our bottom 2 then it illustrates the strength of the NBL

Reply #782080 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Dech didn't see Naar (I think it was Naar) open under the basket, but oh well - solid showing. Is Dech signed beyond this season? Hawks need to lock him down for 3 years if not.

Reply #782081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats will offer him a contract the hawks can't match because that's how they roll

Reply #782082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Hobson hater must be mad now haha

Reply #782084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobson and Hopson are different players bud

Reply #782085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ are a decent point guard away from a top side, Henry and Weeks are not good enough. Hopson and Ashleigh certainly should be brought back.

Ball won't be here next year and the rest of there imports should be gone. Hawks look ok if they can keep their young guys.

Reply #782086 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Sunday get offensive rebound, should of kicked it out and run a set play rather than driving to the basket for an off balance low percentage shot.

Illawarra should of taken AJ off and had 5 guards to shoot the game winner. Poor judgement by the coach.

Reply #782087 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

2x game win streak, only 8 more needed lol

Reply #782088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra should go with next year
Import/Naar
Dech/Glover
Blanchfield/Import/Harris
Import/Froling
Ogilvy/Andersen

Reply #782089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are much better than their position on the ladder. Too many injuries this year. Next year if they can sign an import point guard, bring back Ashley and Hopson, they will be looking good. Henry isn't bad, but they already have Webster who is a similar player (and better shooter). Need a true point guard.

Reply #782092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks purely a development team for Perth. Cats to come in and take back Sunday. $400k should do it.

Reply #782093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" That Hobson hater must be mad now haha"

That's how bad D. Hobson is. No one realises he’s even on the court.

The Hawks player well in patches. But you need better production from your imports.

If RJ Hampton comes back soon the Breakers are looking tough. He is their purest PG. Hopson is also getting better game by game, same with Loe and Delaney. I still don’t think they’re a finals team but they are going to trip up other team’s ambitions.

Reply #782095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Grida is a future cat. Does whatever it takes to win even play dirty a la wagstaff, Redhege

Reply #782101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only watched second half. Shamirs coaching poor.

No offensive execution.

What is Ngatai and vodanavich doing on the floor while rusbstch and majok sit?

Reply #782145 | Report this post

Hawkhead  
Years ago

An astute observation on the Hawks FB fan page...

'Found this in the official FIBA Basketball Rules -

7.5. Either the coach or the assistant coach, but only one of them at any given time, is permitted to remain standing during the game. They may address the players verbally during the game provided they remain within their team bench area. The assistant coach shall not address the officials.'

So how does NZ Breakers' Mody Maor get away with being on his feet constantly alongside Shamir, barking orders to players and complaining to officials?

Reply #782147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

. Cats to come in and take back Sunday. $400k should do it.

Are they blind. Stupid or both?

Reply #782149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is already better than Martin and the gap is growing by the day as Dech improves and Martin deteriorates.

Reply #782153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks now should do
Force Anderssen to retire
Cut Boone
Not re sign AJ Blanchfied next yr
Let Grida go to Perth
Re sign Dech,naar Forling Glover 3yr contracts
And spend there money on signing a new head coach and move FLynn back to assitant

Reply #782185 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Majok didn't travel Anon, Deng Deng went as injury cover.

Reply #782188 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Illawarra should go with next year
Import/Naar
Dech/Glover
Import/Froling
Ogilvy/Andersen"

I'm not convinced.

Although I don't know the contract situations, and don't know whether this was even possible, but I'd try to blow it up and restart fresh as much as I could. Keep Dech and Harris. All the rest should be fair game though.

Don't think the Hawks can keep relying on imports as I think that their local contingent just isn't up to it for what they are asked to do.

Their locals are asked to do big things when in reality on other teams they wouldn't start/would be deeper down the bench.

I know its linked to money though and a lack thereof which makes it hard to go out and get a really good local contingent and still get really good imports.

Reply #782193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously the Hawks need to keep the younger core Dech, Naar, Glover,Grida & Froling.Not convinced with Harris but happy to be proven wrong.
To say to move some of these guys on would be wrong by the Hawks when they have given them time to develop in the league. Other teams with bigger budgets will be lurking around waiting for their contracts to end.
The Hawks need to act now to tie them up to longer contracts & build off them like Bevo did with Martin, Wagstaff & Knight. The Hawks will take some losses now by given them time but in the long run they will be better for it

Reply #782195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Illawarra should go with next year
Import/Naar
Dech/Glover
Import/Froling
Ogilvy/Andersen"

I quite like this, the difference I'd make is go with top shelf one and four and just run two imports and find another other local three. Spend more money on two great imports instead of three average

Reply #782196 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

Would there be room for Grida at Perth with Steindl, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk and Travers ( although he might be a DP in 20/21).

Reply #782199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still a good chunk of season to go but not certain Grida will end up anywhere. Poor season. What's his spot, two man ?

Reply #782221 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Warming to Zac Henry. Hopson classy. Comeback of Delaney has taken pressure off Abercrombie and he is contributing as we know he can. I like Bradley, he is athletic and if he can stay out of foul trouble. Loe is a tosser. "Headbut' what a dreamer. Hawks are terrible. Imports woeful. Hawks have to focus on defence..

Reply #782246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

His name is Sek as in Seketoure.

Reply #782247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Warming to Zac Henry. Hopson classy. Comeback of Delaney has taken pressure off Abercrombie and he is contributing as we know he can. I like Bradley"

I think you need hearing aids, Tom. Or need to lay-off the autocorrect.

Reply #782282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754