Anonymous
Years ago

Expansion to tassie.

So it's a done deal, the new stadium will be upgraded to around 7,500, with the new tassie team coming in will the season be longer ?. And where and when will the next 2 teams be added?, I think 12 is the ideal number for this country.

Topic #46615 | Report this topic

Blerg  
Years ago

Wellington after Tassie

Reply #782726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a brilliant idea!
Why has nobody thought of this before?

Please start another dozen threads to discuss

Reply #782730 | Report this post

Does anyone actually know when Tassie are joining NBL.

Reply #782741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington Saints - team 11, after nz become Auckland Breakers.
Canberra cannons ? - team 12, already have a 6000 seat stadium.

The next 4 teams beyond that likely...
Geelong(vic 3), Newcastle or Western Sydney(nsw 3), Gold Coast, Townsville or Sunshine Coast(qld 3), third nz team, South Island perhaps.

Reply #782746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The official announcement is supposedly mid January.
No we don't need another topic for this.

Reply #782754 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

We don't need another team after Tasmania. If the league wants more games and revenue it should look to have some sort of Asian championship with teams from China, Japan, Korea and the Phils.

Reply #782755 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Asian championship won't happen as those teams are shit

Reply #782761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tassie team will enter in 2021/2022 where have you found out it will be upgraded to hold 7500,i know the current capacity for basketball is about 4 to 5 thousand,allthough including standing capacity it currently holds 7000.

Reply #782763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must say that condidering they are now putting 40 million into the upgrade now,i would of thought they could afford to increase capacity to 10000,not just 7500,allthough with standing room the capacity will still come close to 10000 no doubt.

Reply #782770 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

The capacity of the stadium is not the issue to me. The focus is around making both the precinct and franchise not only sustainable but positive for the whole state and league.

This has been a long time coming but details like transport to the the area have been the recent focus ie both light rail and ferry's.

I am part of the local basketball community and to say we need new facilities is an understatement (growth has increased more than with one stadium needing to be closed when it rains to much as it leaks). This will also include development of courts, that are needed.

This franchise is in line with the growth of the Tasmanian economy, what needs to happen as public $'s are being invested is the demonstration that it benefits the whole economy - prevention ie getting people involved in preventative health while still investing in hospitals etc.

My kids play, ref and coach basketball the development of this franchise is positive and intriguing......bring it on.

Don't care how many threads there are on this, if it annoys you don't post and scroll on past!

Reply #782777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Light rail and ferries are years away as is the development if Wilkinsons Point.
Afaik there is $20mill on the Dec redevelopment, and now they have added an extra $10mill. To the already promised $10mill. (Election promise) for extra courts across all sports. Who will run that is a serious question yet to be addressed.
Let's get the deal done and get the DEC refurbished so in 21/22 an NBL team will be playing.

To me the rest is incidental other than new courts out the back and a renovated DEC with offices for the new NBL team.

Reply #782801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its 20 million for the new sports centre and 40 million for the Dec upgrade.

Reply #782811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It ain't a $60,000,000 deal what so ever.

Reply #782822 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

It ain't incidental it is all needed for it to work. The council has been pushing for the transport options to be locked- in understandably so

Agree the question on who will run the new courts is important.....sure some local clubs / cams would like to do so over btas

Reply #782834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the mercury articles are indicating its a 60 million dollar deal,so im not sure what to beleive.

Reply #782848 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Trust the hoops community of auditors and actuaries. Us random anonymity's know far more than any local journalist would.

Reply #782871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there are a few posters here who do know what's going on and who the media may call.
For some inexplicable reason The Mercury has upped the original $20mill plan to $40mill and now it's gospel it's $60mill.
How that has occurred I don't know. Unless the Fed's are going to tip in more then expected.
Don't forget the Local Lib government has already agreed to a separate $10mill for new courts out the back.
Perhaps in all the discussions they have rolled it all into one price.
Even so that's still only a $30mill deal. Time will tell once the Government gets back to work and hopefully only a few weeks to go.

Reply #782896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mercury is reporting that is 40 million for the Dec and 20 million for the community sports centre next door of which 10 million has allready been pledged.

Reply #782909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I did point that out. Many times. Go back and look at the original articles. It was 20mill. Now $40mill.
That makes me edgy with wh I will pay. The feds may pick up the gap hopefully.

Reply #782940 | Report this post

If 2021/22 is correct I estimate Goulding to be about 33. Will he still be good enough?

Reply #782964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better Tassie players around by then. Good benchie and mentor for sure. Must be looked at.

Reply #782974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Yes I did point that out. Many times. Go back and look at the original articles. It was 20mill. Now $40mill.
That makes me edgy with wh I will pay. The feds may pick up the gap hopefully."

I believe the money from the sale of Wilkinsons Point is going towards the redevelopment. The management of the venue will be leased, and given it will be a modern venue by that point it should draw a good ongoing fee. Of course the devil is in the detail, but if done right it should be a financial positive.

Reply #782979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Paul. I can read too.
The gcc were originally going to put in 5mill.
Now the Government has control of the Dec deal it seems the original deal has changed. If the proposed $60mill deal gets up and the current Gov has to foot the bill the deal may not get up. The feds have to pick up the slack or the deal may not transpire.
The health crisis, traffic and homeless issues are all demanding financial help.
No matter how much I want it the original deal was perfect with the Libs tipping in only $5mill.

Reply #783046 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can read, but can you comprehend? ;-)

The state govt will now own the DEC and Wilkinsons Point, meaning it holds the cards in terms of how much Kestelman puts in for both purchase and lease. They have been able to negotiate the deal on their terms and are unlikely to have agreed unless it was politically palatable.

Reply #783056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lease back is incidental as it would be only nbl stuff. Minimal. The repirted buy price is approx $20mill. That's still a $30mill shortfall of the the alleged $60mill DEC deal. So where is the extra $30mill shortfall coming from.
Comprehend?

Reply #783059 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I believe the money from the sale of Wilkinsons Point is going towards the redevelopment."

I'm a little confused. Can somebody please explain the bones of the deal, keeping in mind I can only read the headlines and not the paywall articles.

Reply #783073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a nutshell no one knows what the final deal is m or how it will be funded.

Reply #783082 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

anon 3082 yup dead right

Reply #783087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone does say they know the answer then they are talking shit.

Reply #783088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one knows about anything governments do so let's see how it play out.

Reply #783090 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think 12 is optimal generally in terms of variety etc but for the next 5-6 years it needs to be 10 teams and make sure sustainability is there including good Phoenix, Tassie, Hawks crowds.

IMO Wellington would make for a good NZ derby in the future, but can't see any other locations being reasonable for a 12 team: 3 would be too many atm for Melbs, Syd caters for only 1 team, Canberra, Darwin too small, North Qld or GC avoid avoid avoid.

10 teams hopefully means 36 games and a top 5.

Reply #783264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally want more games once we get 10 teams, doesn't mean the season needs to be longer.

Reply #783356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 teams = 9 matches x 4 = 36 games, start season a week earlier and play Thursday to Monday. Three imports plus eight locals and one next stars if available should be fine. The better eighteen year olds might stay in Australia instead heading to college.

Reply #783365 | Report this post

I would agree with a top 5 finals.
4 v 5 in an elimination game with the winner playing semi against top team.
Standard 2 v 3 in other semi final.

Reply #783367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The lease back is incidental as it would be only nbl stuff."

Do you think the govt is going to run the venue, or lease it to someone who knows what they're doing to manage and get guaranteed income into govt coffers?

Reply #783371 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Lease to someone who knows what they are doing

Reply #783372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the is anyone in Tas who knows how to run the DEC properly. Maybe Qudos :)

Reply #783375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly. I believe an option on the table is leasing the venue to LK to operate. It would ensure govt income to pay back their investment but also allow LK to generate revenue from the venue.

Reply #783378 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Paul .....yup you are on the money

Having the blitz here showed how it should be run

Reply #783379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl don't run stadiums. The put on a good show that's all. The day to day running of an entertainment facility is not NBL related nor should it be.

Reply #783393 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

anon 393 -- heard of subcontracting?

Reply #783395 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The nbl don't run stadiums."

LK has far more business interests than the NBL! The NBL don't do developments like the one proposed for Wilkinsons Point either, but LK does.

Spot on Scout, although it could also be a partnership arrangement if that lease option did happen to eventuate.

Reply #783418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man don't confuse the nbl deal and the Wilkinsons Point deal. Basically Kestleman is getting Wilkinsons Point for free.

I am quite surprised at how little you
People seem to know about these deals.
Subcontracting? Wtf does that have to do with anything? Maybe they should sub it back to the GCC?
As I said earlier someonee like Qudos would be a perfect fit. Yes that means subbing it out for those that don't understand.

Reply #783420 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Subcontracting? Wtf does that have to do with anything? Maybe they should sub it back to the GCC?
As I said earlier someonee like Qudos would be a perfect fit. Yes that means subbing it out for those that don't understand."

That's a very confused statement right there!

Reply #783424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't comprehend again Paul? Qudos could run the arena. Ie. The Tas Govt subs the DEC running on a day to day basis. The new Tassie side would lease it for a night. New training facilities built out the back.

The only reason LK is doing the deal is to get $20mill of land for nothing and develop it. Nothing confusing there at all.

Reply #783460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, it's really simple, I'm just enjoying your comments making it seem more complicated, especially the subbing bit!

You do realise LK has partnered with that group in the past? Any deal with them is likely to go through him. The Tassie team will be owned by him, he's not leasing it for a night! The option of leasing stadium management to LK or a partner of his makes good economic sense for all involved.

Reply #783486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be leasing the stadium for night. Get it? It's not his stadium to do anything with! He may have partnered with other stadium people in the past but it's not their core business. It would be like a local government running the Dec. That went well last time didn't it.
Anyway hopefully only a few weeks to go. There will no overtime here that's for sure.

Reply #783496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things quiet on the DEC front but this from The Mercury today.

"The Tasmanian Government and NBL owner Larry Kestelman are close to finalising a deal that will see the state fund a $40 million redevelopment of the Derwent Entertainment Centre and build a $20 million new indoor multi-sport facility while in return Mr Kestelman will give Tasmania a league licence and invest $200 million in surrounding Wilkinsons Point.

However, Mr Kestelman has set a deadline for the end of February to agree to the deal so work can begin on the DEC redevelopment and creation of a team in time for the 2021-22 season.
"Talks with the State Government are progressing and we hope we can finalise an agreement soon," Mr Kestelman told the Mercury.

“As we've said, there is a lot to do if we want to have a team in Tasmania in time for the 2021-22 season so it needs to be sorted as a matter of priority and we remain committed to doing so.”

The change in premier from Will Hodgman to Peter Gutwein has caused a slight delay in negotiations but it is also believed Mr Gutwein is a strong supporter of a Tasmanian NBL team."

Reply #789896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing very positive noise about a new licence for Tassie.

Reply #792222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been hearing positive noises for months, nothing seems to happen. Afl down there now talking about a team, afl don't like competition. I’ll believe Tasmanian team when it’s all official, till then I’m not believing.

Reply #792229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alf is at least 5 years at the minimum. If the bball doesn't get up the AFL wiĺl ñever get up. The afl report says they need 30000 members snd a subsidy of $8mill a year. That will never occur. will

Reply #792258 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The AFL question is a simple one.
It will happen if the AFL wants it to happen. Evidence in the past says they don't. They seem to like the current arrangement which allows them to send money to Hawks and Norf through the backdoor.
Realistically, only way it happens is if Norf continues to embarrass everyone, and the AFL decides to permanently fuck em off to Tassie.

Reply #792525 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

North Melbourne were supposed to relocate to Gold Coast. The players came up for a "home game". AFL Queensland staff showed them around. They asked about schools for kids and good suburbs to buy in. Players wanted to relocate. Some diehard Melbourne based fans objected. Rest is history.

Reply #792592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on topic.

Part of The Mercury's article late today. Paywall article.

"NBL boss Larry Kestelman has outlined an aggressive timeframe to get the Derwent Entertainment Centre refurbished to world class standards should the state be granted the 10th league licence.

However Glenorchy City Council mayor Kristie Johnston has declared current bookings — including the Southern Tasmanian Dance Eisteddfod and Disney on Ice in July — will go ahead around any upgrade.

Kestelman is hoping for an answer from the Government within the next fortnight on a deal for the state to fund a $40 million redevelopment of the DEC and build a $20 million new indoor multi-sport facility....."

Reply #792639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/1073505913005362/

NBL delays negotiations with Tas Gov't for 2 months.

Reply #802631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the NBL drop Tassie for a season?
https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/1191867597817668/

Reply #803300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754