Culture builder
Years ago

Is it time to move on from homicide in the commentary

It was a good novelty at first to have an opinionated loud mouthed American to bring some attention to the league but now might be the time to take the next step into some proper nuanced professional analysis if we want to be respected as a world class product.

He feels a bit bush league relative to world class leagues like the NBA and EPL

Your thoughts?

Topic #46627 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it I think. He has served his purpose, but at this point, he is repetitive and is simply clickbait on Twitter etc the commentary as a whole needs a massive overhaul. There is a few really annoying voices, homicide is the worst by far.

Reply #783377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep his time is up and take a few more with him. Heal, Hooley, Anstey straight off the top my head gone.

Reply #783380 | Report this post

Culture builder  
Years ago

Just to be clear I have no issue with him speaking his mind on Twitter but I don't feel like he cheapens the overall product by being the in game tv analyst

Reply #783381 | Report this post

Culture builder  
Years ago

The above should read that he *does* cheapen the product

Reply #783382 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Yes please, then I can unmute more games.

Reply #783384 | Report this post

Yes,

Please,

Yes!

Reply #783385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's fine

Reply #783386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He adds nothing to the commentary. He has little expert opinion, and his analytical input is next to nothing.

Reply #783388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide - gone.
Rosen - gone.
Russell - gone unless he can learn something about basketball.

I actually enjoy Anstey's analysis. Although his voice is not the best for commentary.

Reply #783389 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep Anstey is very good he gives really astute analysis I've been pleasantly surprised by his commentary.

Reply #783390 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Don't be surprised or anything. He's a smart 'cookie'
Been on here a few times telling us things well before it's confirmed...
lance armstrong.... opals coach and etc.....

Reply #783391 | Report this post

How long until this thread gets locked.

Reply #783394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll have some of whatever Camel is smoking

Reply #783397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another multiple duplicate topic. Merge them all please Isaac.

Reply #783398 | Report this post

Culture builder  
Years ago

I don't agree on Anstey. Feel like when I hear him and heal commentate I understand why they were poor coaches

Reply #783402 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lamelo Ball $100,000,000 shoe deal and a plane.. ..homicides latest..

Reply #783405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liking Gaze but Hooley has now gone to to much talk, I'm thinking these guys like the sound of there voices.

Reply #783408 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think a big part of the rabbiting on is because they're not actually at the games and can't get a feel for the atmosphere. They're all watching the games in a studio on the same screen we are so it becomes like a group of mates sitting around watching games in the lounge room there's never really much clear air.

Reply #783410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lamelo Ball $100,000,000 shoe deal and a plane.. ..homicides latest.."

Apparently this confirms LaMelo will be the #1 pick. So bush league. Like when he announced during a game that the cats had signed Shaun Livingston

Reply #783415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey although a very hard voice to listen to, makes decent comments. Hooley is ok, refreshing and doesn't try and over do it.

Rosen is painful beyond belief, be truly is the worst. Russel cam just annoying nuff nuffs, and homicide has lost any respect he had from the nbl community with his antics, now daily.

Reply #783417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely love Rosen' and Anstey. They call the game as they see it. Homicide, Heal’ and co-need to go.

Reply #783441 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't agree on Anstey. Feel like when I hear him and heal commentate I understand why they were poor coaches

Someone gets it - I'm sick of ex-players who are only involved in commentary because they are one hit wonders who can't or failed to transition to another career - that's what these two are. In their defense there was one game both were commentating in and they laughed about their 'coaching careers'.

Reply #783444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Keep him on overtime or other shows but not commentating games

Reply #783446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Keep him on overtime or other shows but not commentating games

Reply #783447 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes!

Clearly if we want to sell more product into the USA, then the only way to do this is to get rid of the only commentator they like, and replace him with more idiots like Gaze, that they have never heard of, and can't understand anyway.

Whilst we're at it, we should probably switch the telecasts to Black & White. And go back to playing in footy shorts

Reply #783459 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think homicide should be gotten rid of, but in commentary he is being misused. Homicide is great at creating banter and hype, but he's not really a basketball analyst. Having said that, who is? Who out of our commentary team knows more about the game than any random person watching it? Very few.

With courtside announcers gotten rid of, and basically no courtside input anymore, the role Homicide is best suited for is non-existent. But I feel like hiw ability to appeal to certain crowds and makes him invaluable. They should find ways to use him in coverage without it necessarily being commentary, such as a bit of a half time show or in pre-game shows.

Rosen, Ugghh... the guy is a complete nerd. Just cringey. Chris Anstey needs to have his throat checked. Dwayne Russel is irritating. When it comes down to it, is Homicide really THAT bad?

Reply #783466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to James Harvey?

Had the requisite charisma and analysis but without the arrogance of Heal.

Reply #783467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There treating Hooly like he's an nba player in commentary, please can we get Tragath, Worthington, and a few blokes that don’t talk shit and quietly commentate the game.

Reply #783468 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Tragardh talks plenty of shit, it's just all pro-Cairns and thoroughly uninteresting so the average viewer doesn't care.

Reply #783471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, what are you on about? Homicide isn't popular with the US audience, the audience is watching purely because of the product and the players involved. Muppet.

Reply #783473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

US basketball audiences are far more conditioned to listening to commentators who know their stuff. If anything they would dislike Williams even more than we do.

Reply #783476 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Yes let's move on, please!

Reply #783477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But ....... then how will I be reminded which city each American import is from after they make a great play?

Reply #783483 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Let him loose, get a grip he's harmless!

Reply #783484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha he loves some south philly shoutouts! It's so tacky

Reply #783485 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I hope Larry has the awareness to understand the commentary bunker, and the assembled squad alike, have been distinct failures his season.

Pay up and get teams back at the actual games again. The amount of times they've missed something because they haven’t actually been at the game is disappointing. Get Case and Carfs back regularly too. And ffs no more Rosen, Screen, Hooley or Santa.

Reply #783491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley & Santa good
Corey & Dwayne bad

Reply #783495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is horrendous.
Santa is reasonable.

Reply #783499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Casey not being a core member of the commentary team, says it all. He is legit, never over steps and knows what the game needs.

Reply #783501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen and Santa great

Heal and William crap

Reply #783509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting how some find Rosen good, like, at all. He is like an under 12s coach explaining every play. No feel for the entertainment side of the game. Him and homicide are terrible. Homicide will never be Stephen A smith.

Reply #783511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like an under 12's coach?

That is the idea. He explains to the non basketball people. In other words trying to explain what is happening and attracting more non basketball fans. I and my non basketball friends live him as he breaks it down

Homocide is just a screamer.

Reply #783514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Rosen and Santa are very similar as is Anstey. Very astute callers. Love the 3 of them.

The call they did the other night was great

Reply #783517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't need a guy explaining at nbl level commentary, the basics of the sport. None of the other big sports do this. I don’t watch the EPL and expect them to explain the offside rule.

Reply #783518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the sports and viewers are growing more and more???

Maybe the other sports (which are getting less and less viewers) should adopt the same???

I heard Mark Jackson on the Lakers game today say "to all the kids out there what what happened"

Says it all to me

Reply #783519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Jackson is the worst example of a good nba commentator... with all due respect.

Reply #783520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god we have playmakermopy to tell us what the average viewer thinks! Can't think of anyone more average.

Reply #783552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watch all his commentated games on mute.
Cringeworthy

Reply #783561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love him

Reply #783567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally like our commentators, America does too, you just need to scroll through lamelo's YouTube highlights, lots of glowing reviews of people getting hyped because of the commentary.

Reply #783569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally like our commentators, America does too, you just need to scroll through lamelo's YouTube highlights, lots of glowing reviews of people getting hyped because of the commentary.

Reply #783570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you provide a link to one such comment?

Reply #783572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing how we all have so many different views on commentary, personally I think they all talk to much, just inform us of what’s happening and cut out all the crap talk.set up three commentators in each venue, all locals like in NZ, one on sideline and two in court side booth. Yes it will give us slightly home bias commentary but it’s better than total bias we get now for there mates and favourite players. I’m sick commentators talking up players who have done one or two good things but been crap most game or don’t play defence. I could name a list of players but I’ll refrain but I’ll just say Brisbane certainly has one.

Reply #783574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree when I watch highlight packages, Dwayne Russell is absolutely outstanding because of his excitement and summary of the play

Reply #783578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't mind Anstey, he makes a lot more sense than others. His voice isn’t ideal but Dick Vitale has had a long commentating career with his annoying voice.

Reply #783581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite simple really

Anyone with a basketball brain, that watches alot of basketball nba/euro hates homicide.

Anyone who loves hype and smoke and mirrors (insta generation) and just tunes in now and then as its the "in thing" would like homicide.

As noted by the comment above re (melos youtube highlights)

Reply #783588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see the link to homicide being applauded by the YouTube faithful lol

Guy is trash.

Reply #783590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I agree when I watch highlight packages, Dwayne Russell is absolutely outstanding because of his excitement and summary of the play"

Now imagine how much better he would be if he kept that excitement for the top plays but toned it down the other 95% of the time rather than pretending that every run of the mill basket just blew his mind and should be blowing our minds as well.

Reply #783591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What a lot of people don't seem to get with Homicide is that he's there as a glorified hype man. Everyone else does vanilla commentary Homicide buts in starts yelling stars making silly statements and pronouncements he's there to keep people tuned in to get them talking.

Which fortunately/unfortunately however way you look at it he does quite successfully getting in spats on social media with the likes of Bogut (whether real or fake) he keeps things ticking over that other commentators are incapable of.

Is he a great analyst? No, but that's not his role. He's there to bring attention to the NBL and to try and keep people there once they tune in. By the book vanilla commentary isn't going to do that.

Reply #783595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac. Totally agree. Which tells us the NBL can't market and let the talent speak for itself.

Every week he says something controversial. Its plain and simple bush league by the NBL and not something a so called "professional league" should allow.

The nbl Commentary spot hardly would be a high paying gig I guess so cant ask for ferraris with a budget of toyotas

Reply #783597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once the NBL becomes more secure within itself and what it bring to the table, they'll move on from homicide. As is, they’re a insecure league copying the nba at every turn, not quite sure what it can be, just yet. The league is great and only getting better, so imo homicide is probably on borrowed time.

Reply #783604 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, I am loving the NBL 2019-20 version, absolutely the best season yet so far, hope the entry to finals and finals matches live up to what I am experiencing so far because it is world-class entertainment, great crowds, close games, talented players, drama and everything else that goes with this season's league.

Corry Homicide Williams and all of the other commentators are part of the theatre, part of the fun, the excitement, the drama and of course the crazy results and things going on extend to them too, that's a big reason why it's so good this season and why we are being recognised internationally as a league people want to play in...

Love him or hate him, you can't deny the fun and entertainment he brings, so I for one would like him to stay and keep the league where it is, building nicely thanks very much!

Reply #783634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not fun and entertaining when he says stupid things over and over.

Reply #783639 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, do you watch the AFL, have you heard Brian Taylor, he is still there after years of saying dumb, stupid things, 'nuff said...

Reply #783648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, it's easy to deny. He is terrible.

Reply #783649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm actually the opposite, I hated Homicide but have grown to actually not mind him now.

You need to just not take him too seriously and just remember he's there to say controversial things, have different opinions and be a hype man.

He can help keep things a bit interesting by having different views, and i don't mind some of his hype in the right moderation and circumstances.

Reply #783654 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My 2c: I've gone from muting games he commentated to largely stopping watching NBL games at all because he's hard to escape. I now mostly check live stats or box scores after the games. Can respect his persistence in establishing himself and think it's good enthusiasm to have around the league in some capacity (highlights show or whatever) but don't like his commentary.

Reply #783814 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, record numbers attending and watching, so not everyone seems to be triggered by the fun and games every now and then, sure he is hot everyone's cup of tea, but he doesn't commentate every game either...

Reply #783817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel he cheapens the league. Annoying or not annoying, ear of the beholder type stuff. But his delivery and what he says or lack of what he says to be precise, it's cheap talk.

Reply #783836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators are to commentate, homicide and heal the worst two should just do media, keep them away from the microphone.

As been note by others last nights commentary was great, Rosen, Gaze and Russel. LK should be telling the commentary to commentate, I'm sick to death of hear how good there mates are. Pick the best and get rid the rest.

Reply #783841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators are to commentate, homicide and heal the worst two should just do media, keep them away from the microphone.

As been note by others last nights commentary was great, Rosen, Gaze and Russel. LK should be telling the commentary to commentate, I'm sick to death of hear how good there mates are. Pick the best and get rid the rest.

Reply #783843 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Williams is awful. Dwayne Russell somehow gets overly excited by someone attempting a 3 point shot - not hitting a big one, or even hitting at all - just attempting a 3 point shot is enough for Russell to lose his mind. He is truly awful.

The NBL has some good commentators. Rosen, Hooley, Gaze, Santa, Tragardh. These guys are all fun and know what they're talking about. There's plenty of good guys around, no need for the trash like Williams and Russell.

Reply #783860 | Report this post

Get rid of him or give him his own panel show.

Reply #783868 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bring back John Casey

Reply #783871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the best (pick a position) player this week according to Homicide?

Are Nz still his champs?

Reply #783874 | Report this post

Homicide  
Years ago

I dont appreciate all you haters talking about Homicide disrespectfully.

I am the NBL. Without me no one else be breaking news. I be putting my balls on the line predicting mvps! I am never wrong and yall just wanna be seeing a black brotha down!

Reply #783925 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Love him or hate him, you can't deny the fun and entertainment he brings"

I can, and I do. Homocide is not entertaining, he's annoying.

Reply #784111 | Report this post

Homicide  
Years ago

My name be homicide, not homocide. Better remember the name and where I be from.

Reply #784159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram is on the money. Why is Russell on air? Crack up at the end of every quarter because you know he is going to roll out "a 2 for 1 chance"!!!

Reply #784924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Russell’s 'rims’ out’ call, which he uses no matter if the ball is short, long, or actually does ‘rim out’. He is absolutely clueless and a dreadful caller, not just NBL. Unfortunately he’s in Melbourne, so if they continue the Hub for the playoffs (which they will), there’s no doubt it will be Russell, Gaze and Homicide for the semis and GF. The only bonus with that is no Shane ‘to be able to’ Heal. Can’t stand that egomaniac. Plus he’s a terrible commentator who loves the sound of his own voice.

Reply #784932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Heal is a good commentator. He knows his stuff and can actually hold the commentary together with good flow.

Homicide on the other hand is just a hype man and he should not be allowed to have "analyst" or "expert" anywhere near his job description.

For a LOL, check out Homicide's website. He says Wikipedia lists him first on their most notable streetballers page. It actually doesn't - its in alphabetical order by surname.

Reply #784934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754