James Harvey fan
Years ago

New Gems coach - David Herbert

Basketball Australia have appointed former WNBL Coach of the Year, David Herbert as the head coach of the Australian U19 Women's team, the Gems, for the next two years.

Herbert brings a wealth of experience to the role having had stints in the WNBL with Townsville, Perth and Canberra and more recently having been the assistant coach of the 2019 FIBA U19 Women’s World Championship team.

Currently working as part of the Basketball Victoria high performance network, Herbert has held key development roles in Queensland and Western Australia.

He will take the Gems helm from Deanne Butler, who led the team to two World Championships, including the 2019 event, which saw the team finish second after a heartbreaking loss to USA in overtime in the final.

Herbert said he feels extremely honoured to have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of some of Australia’s best coaches in Ray Tomlinson, Phil Brown, Paul Gorris and Deanne Butler.

"The Australian Gems U19 Women’s program has such a rich history of success," Herbert said.

“Representing my country has always been an ultimate goal of mine as a coach and is something I will not be taking for granted. I know the hard work, sacrifice and effort required for success and I will be pursuing this head on.

“It was an amazing experience to have had the opportunity to work with Deanne and Claudia Brassard and we were so close to achieving the dream of a world cup gold medal.”

The Gems will start their quest for a return to the world stage with the FIBA Asia Cup later in the year.

“Our aim will ultimately be to qualify through the tough Asia Cup, with planning to commence straight away. No stone will remain unturned in the pursuit of putting Australia’s best U19 Women’s team on the floor to compete as hard as we can for our country.”

The Australian U19 Men’s team will once again be led by Head Coach Darren Perry.

Topic #46685 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U19 men - Perry
U19 women - Herbert
U17 men - Schueller
U17 women - York
Opals - Brondello
Boomers - Brown

Reply #785226 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Finally they get rid of Butler, and a good choice in Het wet too

Reply #785231 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Oops Herbert not het wet lol

Reply #785232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can do alot better than the current 6 aus coaches.

Reply #785239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an excellent appointment and is good news for the future success of the gems and the development of the individual players. Congrats Herbie.

Reply #785245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guessing the pool of players is something like...

02/03
Melbourne / Henderson / Hanafin / Deeble
Swain / Valenti-Paea / Riley / Morgan
Price / Notoa / MacDonald
Potter / Dunn / Pollerd
Prior / Rees / Sewell / Dunlop

Who else is there? Who have I missed that's a possibility?

Reply #785260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We can do alot better than the current 6 aus coaches." I get so sick and tired of some numptie making an assinine comment like this without qualification.

Reply #785291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brondello has had a terrible year, poor performance in Tokyo and she's gone.
Brown has had his chance already and will be gone from 76ers soon. terrible offensive sets.
Schueller failed at the WC, again outside of top 5. 6th place.
Perry also outside of top 5 in WC, 9th place.
York’s first shot. Time will tell. Has done poorly with Bendigo.
Herbert upgraded from assistant. Has done well with Geelong.

Reply #785295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, who exactly is better and available?

Reply #785296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have the list of applicants, who’s available? Not sure.
Plenty of better young coaches though. Not sure if they apply.

Reply #785301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the Crocs finishing 6th at World's a failure??

Reply #785316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2010 6th - Molloy
2012 2nd - Molloy
2014 2nd - Watkins
2016 7th - Watkins
2018 6th - Schueller
2020 ? - Schueller

He needs a medal.

Reply #785321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You make it sound like coaching is the only variable that dictates success.

Reply #785399 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754