MD
Years ago

Ideal team acquisitions for 20/21?

Just in terms of what would be your ideal lineup changes and acquisitions for next season for each club. Feel free to research players you think teams should add from other leagues and what players teams should go after to suit their style of play. Make sure to add what league they are coming from and if they are reasonable for our league and affordable.

I'll do Perth.

Machado (Cairns) / Norton
Cotton / Grida (Hawks)
White / Steindl
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Mathiang (BSL Turkey) / Majok

Topic #46714 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

TBH I think Melbourne United would be far better off with a Machado type than a Trimble type.

Reply #786350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Trimble will go, so too randle.
Sobey will go to sg.
3 new pg imports.

Reply #786351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think Trimble will go, so too randle.
Sobey will go to sg.
3 new pg imports."

You didn't read the OP did you?

Reply #786352 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle signed a 2 year deal with the Sixers, doesn't mean he will definitely be back but it's likely.

Reply #786353 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Randle year 2 is a team option. He won't be back.

Reply #786354 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Randle will def be back btw. He is loved by Kelley, the fans and the organization. No chance that offer isnt taken as it is also worth less money...

Reply #786357 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who are likely free agents?

With the way Adelaide plays, they need a run & gun style guard a bit like Sobey when he was in form.

Mudronja will be elevated to a full roster spot. I don't think 36ers can keep Teys, McVeigh, Dillon AND White. At minimum one has to drop, probably Dillon.

Wondering whether Froling will be at Adelaide next year....

Given it's tough to acquire players when Kings/Wildcats/United snap players up, Adelaide could hope for a major ripple effect by replacing Moore with a defensive big man.

C Defensive Import/Griffin
F Johnson/Kyei
F Drmic/Froling
G Teys/McVeigh
G Randle/White/Mudronja

#1 Avoid Griffin AND Johnson at the same time
a) Defensive import/Kyei are the key rebounders/compete in the paint defensively
b) Johnson and Griffin both have good foot work and a shot, they can draw bigs out or force defence to collapse in on them down low

#2 Drmic, Froling, McVeigh to shoot threes whenever they get a decent look
If a team has to contend with Randle or a driving Griffin or Johnson whenever he has the ball, then there should be plenty of open looks for Drmic/Froling

#3 Ball movement will open up the lanes and give shooters open opportunities:
a) Randle needs to either drive and kick, or kick the ball, move and trust he will get it back
b) Johnson needs to pick his time for his turn around jumpshots - he is effective at them BUT it also stifles the movement and means the other defenders will go for the rebounds

Reply #786360 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Adelaide:

Randle / White / Dillon
Bryce Brown (Maine,G-League) / Teys
Deng Adel (Long Island, G-League / Drmic
Kyei / McVeigh (Moved to PF)
Johnson / Donta' Hall (Grand Rapids Drive, G-League)

Donta Hall has the potential to be a great import in the league and is the athletic rim protector and rebounder Adelaide are missing. Hall could play either with Johnson or off the bench. McVeigh has the potential to play the stretch 4 as Deng Adel starting moves Drmic to the bench (if Drmic is retained). Brown is a much better on-ball defender than Moore and has a nice shot from deep and the ability to score off the dribble + can also create for others.

Froling is not worth re-signing as he is a defensive liability and will likely turn to Europe or an NBL team that starts him anyway...Illawarra? Drmic is worth a 3yr deal and Deng Adel would be great to build around as Johnson nears retirement age.

Reply #786361 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adelaide

FA: Griffin, Moore, Drmic, Froling, Teys

Under contract (likely player options): Johnson, McVeigh

Under contract (likely team options): Randle, Kyei, Dillon, White

Guaranteed under contract: Mudronja (2 years left, full roster)

Reply #786362 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

White has another year. Dillon a team option and Teys' deal is worth next to nothing as far as salary cap hits go. Adelaide will spend abit more with the success of the Entertainment centre.

Reply #786363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canaan (G-League) / Naar
Jenkins (China) / Dech / Glover
Blanchfield / Coenraad
Froling / Harris
Chriss (NBA) / Ogilvy

Reply #786364 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Anon #364 LOVE it. Would make Illawarra scary as hell. Only issue is Chriss IF he falls out of favour with NBA teams he will command probably a million dollar CBA deal our league couldn't afford to match. Canaan is PERFECT for Illawarra and gettable as is Jenkins.

Reply #786366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember the hawks will receive 500,000 from the NBA team that drafts him

Reply #786368 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

SE Melbourne

Roberson / Gibson / Adnam
Xavier Munford (G-League) / Madgen
Creek / Stephens
Pineau / Wesley / Trist
Isaac Humphries (G-League) / Boone (Illawarra Hawks)

Reply #786370 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Honestly imagine having to face Phoenix with Humphries and Pineau gobbling up rebounds... Pineau would be suited better at the 4 I reckon. Munford gives them a 3rd scoring option and allow Madgen to come off the bench. Boone could be used better on this team and Phoenix have a very experienced bench unit fearuring Gibbo, Adnam, Madgen, Wesley and Boone.

Reply #786372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United

Martin / Norton
Cotton
White / Steindl
Kay / Wagstaff
Plumlee / Majok
Gleeson

Reply #786373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if randle is back, Joey won't be. The money they will save on a cheap randle deal in year 2, they may justify in paying out Joey. A 5 year deal at nbl level for a coach was always a stupid contact. That being said, I hope randle isn’t retained. His style is flashy, but kills his team mates ability to get involved.

Reply #786374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / Naar / Dent(DP)
Import / Dech / Glover
Blanchfield / Grida
Import / Froling / Harris
Ogilvy / Boone

Coenraad and anderson gone. Retired probably.
Imports/NS Brooks, ball and hobson gone.

Reply #786377 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The money they will save on a cheap randle deal in year 2, they may justify in paying out Joey.

I doubt the likely option on Randle for next season is 'cheap'. He was on $400k a year at the Kings likely took a paycut at the Sixers this season (would be surprised if less than $300k) and next season would be similar money perhaps small cut for the security of a second year.

Not much chance they sack Joey IMO and if Joey quits no need to pay him out.

Reply #786379 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I won't quote all of them but :

- Grida is not a shooting guard.
- Harry Froling is not a small forward.
- Jack McVeigh is not a Shooting Guard.

KET...I love Teys, but no championship aspirant should start or give starter minutes to Teys.

Reply #786382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see Froling brother play together at the Hawks

Reply #786383 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Tassie team - Gibson, Krebs, Goulding, Walker, Stanwix plus some imports and add ons

Reply #786385 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

LoveBroker - Grida can play the 2 or 3... players aren't pieces off a chess board, they can play different positions. Anyone 6'5" in the NBL can be a 2 or 3.

Reply #786387 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Because positions matter that much Lovebroker?

It's not the 90s

Who’s backup SF at the 36ers to Drmic?

Reply #786394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers should blow it up

Reply #786413 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Love it how people just ignore inconvenient facts in order to make their favourite pet argument.

Grida will NOT be coming to Perth next season, can we please just move on.
In addition to re-signing White, or another gun import, we already have Steindl, WLSLB, and Travers all contracted for next season.

Our most pressing need will depend on whether Damo retires, and if so covering that slot.
Otherwise re-signing Plumlee or his replacement.

Reply #786418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol you have 4 imports in your team MD

Reply #786427 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Adel isn't an import nor is Humphries. Might wanna check my teams again...

Reply #786431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roberson
Munford
Boone
Wesley

Reply #786432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh you might want to check your team ay

Reply #786433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of folks just treating Boone like he's a local. That’s how poor his form has been this year, people just totally forgetting he’s an import.

Reply #786434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone managed to appear on both SEM and Illawarra lists as the fourth import. Maybe people have him pegged as a Next Star given the fragility of the requirements to be considered one.

Reply #786435 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Wow. I always assumed Wesley was a NZ local! What the hell! Honestly never thought he was an import. Crazy.

Reply #786436 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is the first season Wesley has been classified as an import. The five seasons prior to that he was classified as a 'local' player due to the Oceania rule as he was deemed to be of sufficient Guamanian heritage (despite being born in the US) as he spent some time growing up in Guam.

I think his father was born there and was a pastor of some sort there for a period of Tai's childhood but he was US born played his college ball in the US etc it was a very dodgy 'local' player classification but both the Breakers and United benefitted from it.

Reply #786437 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He's registered under Guam with FIBA. In fact Boomers play Guam starring the trio of Wesley brothers in November.

Reply #786444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

List time again, some really crappie threads lately.

Reply #786446 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

Brisbane has the easiest list to sort, swap Braun for an import PG and their squad is very good.

Import PG/Cadee
Sobey/ Gliddon
Patterson/Singler
Magney/ Te rangi/ Vukona
Hodgson/ Harrison

Reply #786452 | Report this post

Perth with Cotton as an import
Machado (or similar), Norton
Cotton, Travers
White, Steindl, Lo Buluk
Kay, Wagstaff
Mathiang/Reath, Majok

If Cotton is local keep Plumlee or another import big.

Let Vague go.

Reply #786457 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

List time again, some really crappie threads lately.

Tell me about it. Let's join the party by creating a new topic with a list of the crappiest list threads. If you can't beat them join them.

Reply #786557 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

For the Breakers:

1. Re-sign Scotty Hopson. Healthy Hopson plus a decent roster equals playoffs, provided he plays the 3/4 (not the 1/2/3).
2. Insert import big to play the 4/5.
2. Bring Tai Webster home to start at the Point, who surely is an upgrade on RJ Hampton.
2. Look for a sharpshooting import who's really a 2, but who can initiate offence and doesn't have the same game as Corey Webster. I'm going to say James Blackmon, currently in Eurocup consistently in high 30s/low 40's from 3. Webster plays the Lou Williams role, sixth man/closer.
3. Recruit a NCAA senior as the 11th man so we can stop seeing that Vodanovich fellow.

Loe / Import* / Freeman
Delany / Abercrombie
Hopson* / Rusbatch
Blackmon* / C.Webster
T.Webster / Weeks

Reply #786949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide: Weightloss program for Froling, McVeigh to get his shit together, a shit-hot import SG.
Brisbane: An actual PG and actual PF
Cairns: Depth
Illawarra: Fold and move to Hobart
Melbourne: Gun PF, Healthy SF
NZ: Actual PG, Gun Import PF
SEM: Better Coaching, Naturalise Wesley, Gun Import PF
Sydney: New Coach, New Sponsor, New Name, New Colours
Wildcats: Cotton Naturalised, Gun PG, Plumlee to learn how to shoot freethrows

Reply #788487 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754