Anonymous
Years ago

Who is the Worst Coach in the NBL?

There's a few candidates, especially when it comes to recruiting and retention. But for te sake of this discussion, I'm going to limit the criteria to their ability to win games with the squad that they have.
Realistically there are four or five candidates:
Dan SHAMIR has had a rocky start, but has started to do okay with what he's got. PASS.
Dean VICKERMAN. Considering the squad he has, questions need to be asked. H really needs to rally his troops, and at least make the playoffs, but for now gets by on his record to date. CONCEDED PASS.
Simon MITCHELL. Started well but has faded badly. His squad is undersized and maladjusted, which maybe should be blamed on him, but for the purpose of this discussion will let him squeeze by. CONCEDED PASS
Matt FLINN. Indisputably the worst performer all round, and I sincerely doubt he'll be coaching next season. He probably deserves to take this gong. Except I did say it was based on performance wit the squad given. Even Goorj would struggle with that misbegotten bag of cast-offs. FAIL.
Will WEAVER. Just like with Gaze, Sydney assembled the strongest squad the NBL has ever seen. And (just like with Gaze) that strength saw them storm out of the gats and dominate the first half, plus will get them into the playoffs and possibly beyond. But (just like Gaze) he has shown an inability to adapt or rally the troops when things go bad, and (JLG) has crashed and burned in the second half. You can't really fail somebody who leads his teams to the playoffs, and may yet still win a title. But I did say it was based on performance with their given squad, so. FAIL

Topic #46751 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey. Then daylight.

Reply #787503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dislike Joey but he is far from the worst coach in the league.

Reply #787507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And?

Reply #787511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load shit re Sydney, they have spent less than Perth, Melbourne, and probably a few others. Considering the injuries Weaver has had to carry they've done very well.
Maybe you should change the title to who is the biggest flog off a coach and that’s easy. Gleeson.

Reply #787515 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Prettt tough.Especially on Flinny.
Ironically I think if every other coach in the league (bar 1) had our Hawkies squad, the Hawks would have an even worse record.

I think Joey would be the only one that may have been able to get more out of the young squad & squeeze us more victories.

So in reverse order, I'd say Kelly is #1. Done a remarkable job with what he's got.

Gleeson #2. Despite having a stacked roster, they get Ws. & will likely finish on top.

Weaver #3. Got all his players buying in & playing at their peak (bar maybr Casper) & has had plenty of cattle out injured.

Flinny #4. The fact that the Hawkies are largely competitive with littlw to no import production & the fact that NONE of their starters would start on any other team in the league.

Joey #5. Has his knockers, but has done a prettt good job to have this squad on the edge of the top 4.

Mitchell #6. Handled adversity with Wesley out & Benson beinf garbage & created a good culture.

Shamir #7. Similar to above.

Lemanis #8. Has finally got the squad rolling & the rotations right, but his ignorance & arrogance persisting with Braun & Singler has cost their team.

Vickerman #9. C'mon. You gotta be kidding me. No excuses here. Can he only coach teams that have the best roster? Hang on UTD arguably do! Has all the resources. Bought Melo. Bought Long. Snagged Ili. Can't win. Proof in the pudding here... if he coached Illawarra, would they have even won a game this season?

Reply #787518 | Report this post

I want to say Wright but Adelaide fans are a bit sensetive.

Reply #787519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it air D,

now that makes sense.

Reply #787524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joeys gone no doubt If no finals.

Reply #787525 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Thanks Anonymous fan! : )

Reply #787529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney spending less than melb, Perth AND a few others? How about no.

Reply #787531 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Agee with your summary, Air Delay

Reply #787533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah who are these "few others"? You can't be serious...

Reply #787534 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think AirDelay has knocked the nail on the head.

There's several factors to look at:
1) Talent - is it being used effectively. Are they punching above there weight?
2) Plays - can they seal a win where they are 5 down with 33 sec left on the clock?
3) Culture - when they speak, does the team listen with respect, or is it verbal diarrhoea?

You would say that Mike Kelly should be the nominee for COTY, Dean Vickerman's team definitely punching below their weight and I'm trying to work out what their playing style actually is.

Reply #787537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with Perth fans thinking Cotton, White, Kay, Steindl , Martin, Norton, Wagstaff, and now Plumlee play for nothing. They paid overs to keep Steindl, fought off United to get Kay and Norton. They lashed out top money for Cotton and White. Martin and Wagstaff were supposedly to take less money but I don’t believe it as so was Newley, Lisch and Kickett and no one believes that.

Spending order Melbourne, Perth, NZ, Sydney. Phoenix, Adelaide and Brisbane also have spent close to Sydney.

Reply #787540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way NZ have spent more than Sydney.

Reply #787543 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"Spending order Melbourne, Perth, NZ, Sydney. Phoenix, Adelaide and Brisbane also have spent close to Sydney."
Pass the spliff this way

Reply #787545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol there is no way NZ has spent more than the Kings, and Adelaide/SEM/Brisbane have spent 'close' to the kings.

I'd have it as Sydney, United, Perth.

Reply #787547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spending order Melbourne, Perth, NZ, Sydney. Phoenix, Adelaide and Brisbane also have spent close to Sydney.

You're just completely making stuff up. Please stop.

Reply #787549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The assumption that vets in theie 30's with young families and roots in a city would up and leave for the biggest dollars and even play those cards is interesting to say the least.

Reply #787552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson and wright. both should be t'd up and kicked out within 10 mins of the start of every game.

Reply #787563 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The anon claiming Kings' spend is lower than a third of the league must be their idiotic owner finding new platforms other than Twitter.

Reply #787567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is the best coach in the league and its not even close.

Reply #787568 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cheers Jack! : )

The dif with Gleeson conpared to the others is consistency. They may pay big, but the team always comes up big.

Sydney & Melbourne, not so much.

Reply #787571 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

There's some comedic posts in here.

Reply #787593 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

It's Dean’s to lose - unbackable favourite!

Reply #787641 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Shamir has had a pretty rough season.

An assistant tells them at the airport when they're heading home from NBL/NBA that he’s quitting.
Chris Obepka is carrying an injury and has to be replaced with Brandon Ashley.
Delaney, Hopson, Loe & Hampton all miss multiple rounds due to injury .
Weeks & Henry have had to play through injuries and missed a few games each.
Glen Rice Jnr couldn’t stay out of trouble.
Webster gets loaned to the CBA with a buyout.

Despite all that he has managed to keep his squad together and fighting to make the playoffs even though they have spent most of the season keeping the Hawks company at the southern end of the ladder.

Reply #787645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson should have got it last season. Vickerman very lucky.

Reply #787646 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Lemonass easily. 4 years of stench in Brisbane. The number of players he's marginalised and/or chased out of town is the cherry on top.

Reply #787656 | Report this post

Black and White  
Years ago

Scott Butler - head of referees?

Reply #787660 | Report this post

Vickerman.

Reply #787662 | Report this post

B-ball  
Years ago

Yeah, whatever you reckon Ben!

Reply #787677 | Report this post

Still some Lemanis love on here.

Reply #787679 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Pretty clear they are the worst team in the league

Reply #787684 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

An assistant tells them at the airport when they're heading home from NBL/NBA that he's quitting

It's an assistant, and it was at the beginning of the season. The Kings have cleaned out their coaching staff and are now on top.

Chris Obepka is carrying an injury and has to be replaced with Brandon Ashley.

This happened at the beginning of the season, bring BA in early gives the Breakers plenty of time to

Delaney, Hopson, Loe & Hampton all miss multiple rounds due to injury .
Weeks & Henry have had to play through injuries and missed a few games each.

The Kings have had these and more and are at the top of the Ladder.

Glen Rice Jnr couldn’t stay out of trouble.
This is a choice by Shamir et al, and his record of trouble was already laid out before the NBL, yet you make Shamir look like a hapless victim.

Webster gets loaned to the CBA with a buyout.

The Breakers are 7-2 since Webster's departure, and got a nice pay out.

Do you have any genuine tales of woe to share with the forum?

Reply #787685 | Report this post

Well said Lovebroker.

Reply #787688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts on Wright is influenced by my thoughts on his predecessor in Marty Clarke, therefore Joey is the best coach in history.

Reply #787702 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm disagreeing with the sentiments on here Flinn has got to be the worst, it's a massive shame that Brooks injured himself but this is such an exciting team he has at his disposal and it's great seeing them all but it is Flinn that has chosen not to make the roles of each player easily identifiable, it's why say Froling or Glover can do some good things one game and barely be seen the next whilst somebody else shines.... I love seeing 10 or 11 players seeing court time but he'd be way more successful using maybe 8 like Cairns, giving them identified roles where they know they will have their share of court time and the ball.

As for comments of Goorj not being able to do much with the Hawks team... maybe I'm stuck in the past and locals getting it done vs all these imports won't happen but this years Hawks reminds me of the Magic as the brought up Anstey, MacKinnon, Drmic to play with all those other locals.

I will say something positive about Flinn, whatever he's done with Dech has been brilliant as he is so close to being a star of this league when he was such a low key signing for them... great work all round.

I'm not sold on Mitchell or Shamir yet as I feel like their superstars (Roberson and Hobson) really are great team mates and humble and Shamir didn't have that same success with Rice Jr. and Mitchell would struggle with a less coachable superstar (but probably speaks for Phoenix core values too a bit) but im not sold on either of them as coaches yet and feel Bevo is a great loss to the league and I was intrigued to see how well Braswell could go with another season as he does well in NZNBL

Reply #787710 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Braswell has only coached stacked teams in the NZNBL, that Saints team could have coached themselves to a title the year they went undefeated

Reply #787714 | Report this post

Hopscotch 50  
Years ago

Joey Wright by a looooong way. Has there ever been a coach last this long in the NBL with just one (overpriced) championship. and can no longer relate to fans and terrible role-model - if don't make finals, simply has to go.

Reply #787762 | Report this post

Go Joey Go  
Years ago

Nicely put Hopscotch.

Coach Wright been around a long time for only one long gone championship.

And in seven years at Adelaide, nothing to hang from the AEC rafters.

He's got 2 more years on his contract? Is there any chance of him not seeing these out?

Perhaps LK could woo him to Melbourne?

Reply #787844 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

The jungle drums are certainly beating for Coach Wright - lots of player discontent - if dirty snitchers don't beat Brisbane this weekend, the end might come sooner then later

Reply #788264 | Report this post

Pug Dug  
Years ago

Joey Wright gawn. And about time.

Reply #788771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754