D2.0
Years ago

R Vague Future

On the one hand he's done well to progress his career. After representing Australia as an Emu, he's progressed from a DP to a full-ime contracted player. In the off season he's progressed from being an improved SBL player, to a decent SEABL player, to being able to play as an import in the NZNBL.

On paper he has a lot to offer. Big enough to back up Centre and with an impressive wingspan, and yet able to stretch the D with his 3-point shot.
It seemed he was destined to fill Wagstaff's 6th man role.

But it's never really clicked for him at NBL level.

The Cats must soon replace Damo and Wagstaff. Perhaps at the end of this season, or perhaps the next. And between the players they need and the players they're signing, there's not enough slots to go round.

Vague will be out of contract, and whilst Wagstaff will probably play out the 2nd year of his, there must be doubts over who will ultimately take his spot.

Perth aren't shay about poaching Aussie talent, and could easy be eyeing off others.
And likewise Vague could probably land a bench role for Cairns or the Hawks.

Topic #46800 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

He looked competent in the past, but has struggled to get minutes at all in the box scores I've checked. Has he regressed or been pushed down the rotation by the coach?

Reply #789416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bit lacking in size , athleticism & scoring prowess. Theirs guys on benches at other teams showing more spark for the minutes they get.

Reply #789428 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"He looked competent in the past, but has struggled to get minutes at all in the box scores I've checked. Has he regressed or been pushed down the rotation by the coach?"

Correct.
What I should have gone on to say, is what has really got me wondering is that he seems to have lost the confidence of the coach.
Only gets rubbish minutes, or put on when there is no other choice.

I would have assumed that if Wagstaff is playing on, they'd give him another year, but seems like the writing is on the wall.

Hopefully he gets invited back to the NZNBL and has another good season, and that leads to an NBL opportunity.

Reply #789435 | Report this post

B-ball  
Years ago

His future is very vague.
I'll let myself out

Reply #789455 | Report this post

Raas  
Years ago

Its a shame he doesn't seem to have the basketball mind for the NBL.
It frustrates me when Gleeson plays Vague instead of Majok.

Majok didnt return in the second half against Melbourne, and he is a solid player. This entire season Vague has done nothing more than turn the ball over. I hate to be neg on the guy, he is a person after all trying his best, but he isnt contributing. No rebounds, no points, no blocking out even.

Reply #789489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague looks like a guy who just needs more minutes to show what he's really capable of.

In only 7:51mins per game he averages 2.5pts 1.9rbs .2 assists
his average in turnovers is only 0.04 per min (same as Majok)

Hardly doing nothing but turning the ball over.

Reply #789540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just not very good really.

Reply #789541 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I expected him to morph into a ginger Wagstaff, but he is not the knock down shooter that I've seen him billed as over the years in the spotty opportunities he's had anyway. He should make his way to Cairns, some guys just need consistent minutes.

Reply #789542 | Report this post

Illawarra a possibility but hasn't progressed in 6 years with Perth ( was a DP for 4 years).

Reply #789544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can he play quality D, if so Gleeson will keep him around, if not could be gone.It all starts at the defensive end and Gleeson understands it more than most.

Reply #789551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's still got potential as a 9-11 man.. he seems to be low on confidence when he hits the floor. Hes always looking to pass it off or move the ball on. Which is good but means he isnt a threat

Reply #789581 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

He has progressed, in the off season. Played very well in the NZNBL.

Hence I think he be like Dech, and would benefit from getting solid minutes.

He was looking a lot more confident at te start of this season, but it seems to have deserted him.

Reply #789603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japan is the latest rumour .

Reply #820035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played his first game last round, might have been injured in early rounds, had good stats but side still lost. His team in last position 1-6 if I recall correctly.

Reply #820040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754