EssenX
Years ago

Breakers looking to reinstate Webster

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/119243409/corey-webster-returns-from-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-breakers-explore-options

Topic #46829 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean sit him at the end of the bench perhaps as some sort of insurance for injuries foul trouble. But this team is balling and I wouldn't risk messing that up for this guy.

Reply #790517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

king should go after him

Reply #790519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's available, I think he should be on the bench at least. Especially with Jarrad Weeks carrying a shoulder injury.

Reply #790520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is his man, it's exactly what the wildcats do bring in winners late to make sure they win. Cotton and Plumlee good examples. Maybe they could get Goulding over as well since his season looks like finishing early.

Reply #790524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or like last year, when they made no roster changes and still won...

Reply #790525 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Unfortunately Hopson returning coincided with Webster leaving so I can't say which lead more to the revival.

I would guess its a combo of both, They play much better with more movement without Webster.

But if Hampton out and Weeks a maybe, Webster may be a viable option.

Reply #790526 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

To me has always been a bit overrated

Reply #790527 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie and Delany are getting more touches without Webster and it's showing with their form.

Reply #790531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson's return was a big factor in the revival, but what people forget is that NZ never really had their full team together due to injuries to Delaney and Loe as well. Webster leaving had less to do with it in my opinion. If they had everyone together from the start they would be a playoff team.

Reply #790533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never forgot. I just don't think he has as much up side as opposed to down with the core group

Reply #790536 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I wouldn't be messing with the chemistry and continuity by bringing him back in. Sek Henry and Hopson have been delivering as starters as have Abercrombie, Delany and Loe.

Reply #790540 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would imagine if they're successful in bringing him back it would be in a reduced role maybe a like for like replacement for Weeks i.e. back up ballhandler type role.

A bit like that season for the Sixers when DJ went to play in Poland got released and re-joined the team mid-season in a reduced role due to Motum already being the starting PF.

Reply #790546 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Wildcats will be having a look at him for next season at the SF position.

Reply #790547 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's signed till 2022 I think but Walsh is always open to buyout offers

Reply #790549 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

If he's available you add him but only to play Weeks minutes.

Reply #790553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is signed for the next 2 seasons. If he's in the NBL it will be for the Breakers.

Reply #790554 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's actually signed until 2023. He still had one year to go on his original 3 year deal and signed a 2 year extension with the Breakers before leaving for China.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-accept-buyout-for-corey-webster

Reply #790563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breakers are playing better with out him.

Reply #790571 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gees, long plane trips must be a drag for Webster.
By the time he gets to his destination, he's changed his mind about going there.

Reply #790610 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

No commitment from this loser

Reply #790611 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Poor form from those attacking Webster. You guys realise this wasn't Webster’s decision alone - the CBA has postponed its season and most foreign players and coaches have left already?

Reply #790626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Hamptons departure, Webster would be the perfect player to reinstate - familiar with their system and can score in bunches. NZ were only worse with Webster cause Hopson was out the majority of the time as well as Delaney and Loe

Reply #790627 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Webster can't replace Hampton.

Reply #790628 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Breakers are way better without him.....

Reply #790632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone take his roster spot when he left? Just demote them and reinstate Webster

Reply #790652 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

World class pure scorer but yes agree that they look better (or more cohesive) without him. If he on-board with a reduced role off the bench that would be super dangerous and great to watch. I hope they do it.

Reply #790655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the two are linked?

NBL
@NBL
·
3h
"RJ leaves the NBL as a projected top ten pick in the NBA Draft."

@NZBreakers
Next Star RJ Hampton (
@RjHampton14
) is returning to the US where he will continue his rehab from injury and prepare for the 2020 NBA

Reply #790659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Webster can't replace Hampton."

Why would you say that koberulz?

Reply #790660 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because Next Stars players are not on the 11 man roster, Hampton was effectively a '12th man' for NZ so with him departing they're still left with their actual 11 man roster.

Someone from that roster would need to come off (someone said Weeks is currently injured) and then Webster could step in as their replacement.

Reply #790668 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cut Ater Majok, it's not like Shamir plays him.

Henry/Weeks
Hopson/Webster
Abercrombie/Ngatai
Delany/Vodanovich
Loe/Ashley

Reply #790669 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Keep Rausbatch as the 11th man and 3 and D

Reply #790670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Webster didn't want to play for the breakers if Hampton was playing for them, just seems a bit odd to me. How did Webster go in China? Did he play many games?

Reply #790671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No he got offered big money in China and the Breakers got offered a $150k buyout fee for him as well.

The reasons he's coming back right now are because the league in China has been shut down due to the coronavirus and if he delayed his return to NZ by a few more days he would have to go into quarantine for 14 days when he came back.

Reply #790673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if he doesn't play, I hope he is at the game cheering on the team (providing he isn't sitting in one of the 21 seats on the frontbench).

Reply #790682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(No he got offered big money in China and the Breakers got offered a $150k buyout fee for him as well. )

He didn't want to play for them before the World Cup

Reply #790691 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lol has he been cleared of Coronavirus? He might decimate the team in more ways than one!

Reply #790693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Na its cool. he got vaccinated.

Reply #790695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He didn't want to play for them before the World Cup"

Source? I understand that there was possibly a misunderstanding between Walsh and him, but I don't believe he wanted out. As an aside, Walsh's comments at the time - that Webster was the worst starting 2 guard in the league the year before - were probably correct.

At the end of the day, this could be a high risk / high reward play. But it's moot if the Breakers don't make the playoffs.

Reply #790696 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Na its cool. he got vaccinated."

Lol, joking I hope?

Reply #790698 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That vaccination was for infidelity.

We're still waiting for the results.

Reply #790707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey requested a release to play in Turkey prior to the start of this season - it was a big money offer and you would be stupid not to consider it. I don't think he had any issue with the Breakers.

Also he was playing injured last season, and it was pretty obviously affecting him. He was playing well this season before he left for China.

Reply #790708 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

rumour is that smoking weed protects you from coronavirus.

no connection implied, just putting it out there.

Reply #790723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster played really well in the World Cup and was also playing well for the Breakers. The issue, I think was that Hampton made their backcourt extremely crowded especially at the 1. The Breakers look much better with Henry and Weeks running the 1. If Webster plays only 10-20 minutes off the bench with the second unit, it makes their 2 man game incredibly dangerous. But I wouldn't want him messing with the starters minutes or shots - those guys are rolling.

Reply #790727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking back at his stats, Webster was having a career year in terms of rebounds, assists and his best FG% since 2012 and best PPG since 2015. If the Breakers go 2-0 and sneak into the playoffs, Webster helps them close the gap on Perth and Sydney.

Reply #790729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754