Isaac
Years ago

Joey Wright to leave Sixers

Per Boti's site - Joey Wright will wrap up at the Sixers after seven seasons. Must’ve been paid out to leave with two seasons left on his deal.

Topic #46843 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was time.
Forde I think deserves a shot.

Reply #791045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti:

I believe after seven years at the helm, Wright and the club - which has been under new ownership for the past two seasons - have mutually agreed to sever ties with the final siren in Perth.

Wright would neither confirm nor deny the speculation when contacted, and with me having been in the 36ers' doghouse for the past two seasons after shining a light on the Mitch Creek saga which didn't have a smiley face on it, leaving a message is a waste of a phone call.

But Wright's extensive support team has been less tight-lipped, the Sixers' mentor believed to be worn down and ready to take a break from basketball.

Reply #791046 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Boti might not be the most popular bloke but surely its a bad sign to put a journo as credentialed as Boti in the doghouse

Reply #791049 | Report this post

Go Joey Go  
Years ago

Time is right.

Thanks for your efforts over the seven years.

Good luck in what lies ahead.

Reply #791051 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Adelaide need new blood with a new plan.

Reply #791053 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Adelaide is averaging an attendance of 7,449"
Nice

Reply #791054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The past two seasons have been a bit ordinary after shedding Australian talent, but on balance he's been a very good coach for Adelaide. Most coaches have an expiry date, particularly those with the aggressive style of Wright. Pushing the team and players hard can work but also takes its toll on relationships. A good servant of the club.

Reply #791055 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Time is right.

Thanks for your efforts over the seven years.

Good luck in what lies ahead."

Well said. Completely agree. He's a good coach, but its time for a different direction.

Reply #791057 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm glad it appears mutual and the owner isn't going to do the dirty on him.

It's been a very good run these past seven years Joey's done a great job but it is time for a change all the best for his future.

Reply #791060 | Report this post

Bradley  
Years ago

All the best for your future endeavors.

Reply #791062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze spotted at Adelaide Airport. Coincidence?

Reply #791063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JW has done a fantastic job at Adelaide. Some so-called fans have short memories or struggle to see facts.

Pre-JW era across 3 coaches:

11-22
14-16
15-15
10-18
9-19
8-20
8-20

Total - 60W - 115L
52%

JW era:

18-10
17-11
14-14
17-11
18-10
14-14
TBD

Total - 90W - 78 L
140%

Reply #791065 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm curious as to why Boti believes Beveridge wouldn't be interested in the gig? Anyone got any insights?

Reply #791066 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Joey is a hothead, but has always done well with what he's had at the 6's. Plenty of Respect.
I think losing Creek and Sobey, despite what he said, cost him the ability to keep on challenging. And for whatever reason, attempts to start rebuilding didn't really kick of this year.

With Johnson getting older, and even his imports getting on, he was looking at a complete rebuild. Tough to do quickly at Adleaide, especially if you're not on the same page with ownership.

Reply #791067 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Gaze spotted at Adelaide Airport. Coincidence?"

Hopefully.

Reply #791069 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah I think losing Mitch and Sobey are big losses in the scheme of things. I mean the 2017 Finals team had markedly more Australian talent than the 2019/20 team, that outside of Johnson, had literally nothing on the Australian front. Drmic would be a bench player on most teams. Teys wouldn't get minutes for most teams. I think a lot of the blame for subpar seasons can go on the management as well. If they didn't fuck over Creek, we'd at least have him.

But having said that, it's time for a complete retooling of this team. I'm fine with keeping Johnson but everyone else should have an asterisk against their names, even Randle. Moore should never have been signed to the kind of deal he is on and I think he needs to pack his bags. Joey was great for the Sixers at one point but it's time for a new direction. The only problem is the Sixer's management have a bad name now, so hard to see anyone of note wanting the position.

Reply #791070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall he's done good, little bit of luck in the semi against Illawarra a few seasons back and they probably have that premiership, and even the Melbourne GF series was close but still no cigar.

Nielsen, Forde, Bevo come straight to mind.

Reply #791072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be the reaction if they hired Smyth?

Reply #791073 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Wright to the Illawarra?

Or wherever that licence is playing out of.

Reply #791074 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"What would be the reaction if they hired Smyth?"

I see your Smyth and raise you Ken Cole! Bring back the King!

Reply #791076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting how some players may now step up with a new coach. Some of the names listed have more to give. Maybe a change of coach will be good for them too

Reply #791078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news.

Reply #791080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only coach in the world that would play Eric Griffin off the bench in 15 limited minutes a night. Dude is clueless and stubborn.

Reply #791081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The only coach in the world that would play Eric Griffin off the bench in 15 limited minutes a night.

Griffin is a crap import he wouldn't start on most NBL teams either.

Dude is clueless and stubborn.

No he's actually the best developer of talent in the league by a country mile.

Reply #791084 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"The only coach in the world that would play Eric Griffin off the bench"

Sorry, but Griffin's defensive lapses were horrific. He forced Joey to play him off the bench because he and DJ kept getting torched when on the floor together. It's a shame Griffin couldn't stay focussed. His athleticism, blocked shots and free throw shooting (for a big) are top notch.

Reply #791085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis surely has to be front runner. Boti saying he wouldn't be interested is just lunacy(doesn't even back that statement up with a reason) and obviously is advocating for KB. Now is not the time Sixers for putting in an unproven head coach.

Reply #791086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does this mean for the existing player contracts?

Reply #791089 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Coach leaving doesn't change anything in regards to player contracts.

Reply #791090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Joey was great for Adelaide, but position with the owner seemed untenable. Best for Joey to get out, and owner to try something new.

Reply #791091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither Dennis or KB should be options.

Reply #791094 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I really don't want to see us go even cheaper and just promote KB but given how much the owner has tarnished the club these past few years I doubt there would be much interest in the position.

Reply #791095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This owner seems to be difficult socially to say the least. Joey was ok, but for all his talents, he was one stubborn type who didn't have the tactics for a plan B

Reply #791096 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

One coach I hope they would speak to would be Ian Stacker. He's just dipped his toe back into the NBL by becoming an assistant at SEM and did a pretty good job in Townsville. Stacker would also start focusing on defence too.

Reply #791098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joeys 122 match up zone may be the worst defence this country has ever seen

Reply #791099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't usually rate Boit's stuff to highly, but PRAYING he's right this time!

Reply #791105 | Report this post

Evans  
Years ago

should have gone long ago - good riddance

Reply #791106 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't know who is available and WOULD sign with the Sixers that is better than Joey. I don't see Bev or Goorj wanting to come to Adelaide.

KB probably the lead option?

Joey had a very good coaching period at Adelaide, as Isaac said, appears the situation is untenable. It says a lot about the situation where apparently:

36ers at odds with Wright, Creek, Boti
Wright at odds with ownership, Randle, Sobey
DJ and others at odds with Randle

Reply #791107 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why not KB. Incredibly experienced. Served very long apprenticeship. Very switched on. Communication well. Success driven. Would bring solid defensive focus and expectation... a rebuild with KB as mentor- be very enticing for next group of talent to be part of... going back to has beens like Gaze /bevo/smyth - can't be serious... KB deserves opportunity or be another one that bite us on the bum. Open purse strings to bring in quality imports to build competitive team. Eric be very handy 6th man in role joey devised with right balance...
Sixer nation - incredible...

Reply #791109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET Boti is a blog/podcast retired journo. He's no longer an actual employed journo.

He gets what he's earned over years of bashing to take the side of his mates.

Reply #791110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young hungry coach like Forde might be what this team needs.

Reply #791113 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Could be fireworks in the final round in Perth against the Wildcats.

Reply #791115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats by then will most likely be resting guys, so doubt it. Fireworks would be if the game had any real meaning of positions etc

Reply #791118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KET Boti is a blog/podcast retired journo. He's no longer an actual employed journo.
Completely valueless distinction.

Reply #791119 | Report this post

Tommy Boy  
Years ago

I personally think Joey leaving will be even bigger for the 6ers than the move to the entertainment centre. Onwards and upwards for the mighty 36ers

Reply #791120 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yet another troll post by an anon, hope you start doing something about this stuff soon Isaac.

I understand why you allow anon posts but the trolling on this board now is so off-putting.

Reply #791121 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"In his first season at the helm of the 36ers in 2013-14, Wright remarkably took the club from its last-placed finish of 2012-13 into the Grand Final Series against Perth Wildcats, losing the best-of-three championship 2-1."

Yet somehow Gordie McLeod won the Coach of the Year award despite the Hawks finishing with exactly the same 13-15 win-loss record as they had recorded in 2012-13. And 2013-14 saw them drop from 3rd to 4th on the ladder.

Joey had a much better year taking the 36ers from 8-20 and dead last to 18-10 and second. He should have won that award.

Reply #791122 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Cats by then will most likely be resting guys, so doubt it. Fireworks would be if the game had any real meaning of positions etc"

Always a chance of fireworks when Joey is involved.

Reply #791123 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I forgot to say above.....

Thanks for a good (not great, but good) seven years with the 36ers Joey Wright and good luck to you and your family in whatever you decide to do in the future. After the Marty Clark debacle Adelaide needed someone like Wright to come in and restore some pride in the club. We might not have won a championship under him, but for the most part we were back to being contenders and a couple of Grand Final appearances is nothing to sneeze at in any league.

Reply #791124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this another game set up by Joey - I suspect he's trying to get sacked to he can take the money and run

Reply #791125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG have anything to do with this ?? What's his position now ?? Maybe that’s why Gaze was in town.

Reply #791126 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good result in isolation but at what cost? Now Sixers are stuck with a dud GM in JvG. It feels like this franchise can't catch a break.

Reply #791128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club has created its own breaks!!! Joey was good, was odd for me, he made 2 GF series, but realistically those teams, getting to a decisive game, was never a real chance to win wither series.

Reply #791132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they hire Gaze to even hand out water bottles then I'm officially done.

Reply #791133 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So.... can we have please have one more "Sack Joey" thread for olde time's sake?

Reply #791134 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Given Gaze posted a pic of himself in Vietnam on Instagram 22 hours ago I highly doubt he's currently in Adelaide.

Reply #791135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done on your time at the 36ers Joey. Although we didn't win the title while you were here, we were exiting with our up tempo offence a few years back.

One thing I want to know is does this mean we won’t be switching on everything and leaving DJ on the 3 point line with Casper Ware or Shawn Long posting up Randle down low

Reply #791145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye bye. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. Australian basketball won’t miss you. Over the last few years you have not been a good advertisement for the game.

Reply #791146 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I reckon a lot of the joy of Wright leaving is from the Perth fans opposed to the 36ers fans.

There's definitely a feeling of needing things to be afresh - don't get me wrong, however Joey did a lot of great coaching and good results.

Reply #791148 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Sad if true. If it is, need two things:

1. Fresh blood/mindset, which means NOT KB. Lovely guy, but has never seemed to impact positively on the 36ERS program and has never been very successful coaching at Premier League level. Given that history I wonder why anyone would think it likely he would be any more successful coaching in a [much] higher-level comp than he has been in PL.

2. Owner/admin to get out of the way and let the coach recruit and coach. [I believe the likelihood of this NOT happening is the 'background' to Boti's suggestion that several good/top-level coaches would not be interested in the position.] This season provides a ready example of what happens when owners start to make decisions about players/team composition. With Taylor at the point the 36ERS had the potential to be a team. Replacing him with Randle had the expected effect - more sizzle but much less sausage in terms of team chemistry, cohesion and heart; exactly the same as happened the last time he was here.

If we could be assured the coach would be left to run the team I'd be keen to see the 36ERS have a deep and meaningful conversation with Mike Kelly. While I don't know him personally I actually like the guy, so wouldn't want to see him brought into a dysfunctional set up, like that of the 36ERS appears to be at the moment.

Reply #791149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I reckon a lot of the joy of Wright leaving is from the Perth fans opposed to the 36ers fans."

You said this last time there was a thread bagging Joey. Such an odd thing to say.

Reply #791150 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I couldn't see Mike Kelly leaving Cairns for anything other than a giant oversized novelty cheque and think it's more likely we'll go down the cheap & malleable route with KB.

Reply #791151 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's odd about it?

Reply #791152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportsbet paying $1.01 Joey claims racism on his way out!

Reply #791153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For one, there is hardly any "joy" in this thread. Secondly, I don't know why it would be so hard to accept that the joy is coming from Adelaide, or that it would have to be coming from Perth. Seems like a bit of projection to me.

Reply #791154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Perth fans care about a irrelevant franchise such as the woeful Sixers?

Reply #791155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans just love sticking the knife in.

Reply #791156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans are too busy polishing trophies to worry about Joey

Reply #791157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Ten news understands Saturday is Joey Wright's last home game and will stand down as 36ers coach due to friction with the owner'

Reply #791159 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Brian Goorjian anyone?!?!

Reply #791160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a Aussie for the job.

Reply #791161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Arsego....really Boti? Really??

Reply #791164 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Everyone thought Young was coming to the NBL to play.

Reply #791167 | Report this post

Big Country  
Years ago

Wonder what involvement JVG had with this...

Reply #791169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Frank Arsego....really Boti? Really??"
Guess you don't know a lot about FA then.

Reply #791170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti isn't the only one who has heard the name frank Arsego mentioned along the pipe line. Just saying.

Reply #791172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelley and Arsego based in Singapore and he has people in his ear telling him Frank has another run in him.

Reply #791173 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"With Taylor at the point the 36ERS had the potential to be a team."

I'd have them pegged to finish equal with Illawarra if we went down that road.

Reply #791176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need new owners

Reply #791177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible move. Young players come to Adelaide to play under Joey. Be prepared to go back to Marty Clarke years and finish Botton. DJ will now go to Perth; Drmic to SE Melbourne; Froling signed to play under Joey so will walk. All the people happy to see Joey gone I hope you will stand corrected when you see next years roster.

Reply #791178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how's that team going that came to play for Joey? Yep out of finals again!

Reply #791181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Total - 90W - 78 L
140%"

Say whaaaaat??

Reply #791182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering how tight the ladder is this season and the talent of Sydney, Melbourne and Perth just missing finals is no disgrace. Get your wooden spoons out for next season.

Reply #791183 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For one, there is hardly any "joy" in this thread. Secondly, I don't know why it would be so hard to accept that the joy is coming from Adelaide, or that it would have to be coming from Perth. Seems like a bit of projection to me.

Projection? What the hell are you talking about? Projecting what? As a 36ers fan it's "he was a good coach, now is the right time to start a fresh" - not saddened by him gone, but no ill-will or joy to see him gone either. What is there to project!

There are a hell of a lot of Perth fans who have been sticking the knife into Joey on here for a long time.

Reply #791184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest blow will be to the owners pocket. Players came to play under Joey at a discount to their market value. Joey attracted success and only in the last 2 seasons when he was throttled by others that his teams were mid pack.

Even this season he was a couple of wins away from a finals run with a team roster that some say was amongst lowest paid in the league. Perhaps Ramone being able to play at capacity was all it would have taken for a different result

36ers fans have next season to look forward to where Jerome will dribble the ball for 20 seconds then throw up a wild shot

Reply #791186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players went to play under Joey at a discount rate. LMAO. It's the absolute opposite actually, he attracted the young Australians because he paid overs and on potential, that’s been a disaster the last few seasons.

Reply #791191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No player ever took a discount to play for Joey. Sorry but that's a troll comment surely

Reply #791194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly 2 posts above don't know reality. Players have stayed when offered more. Players have come here when they have been offered more interstate.

Players have left here and had their pay DOUBLED and still debated leaving.

Sorry reality doesn’t match your narrative

Reply #791195 | Report this post

sman  
Years ago

while getting the team to the grand final once, not many coaches last 7 years without a championship. and really joey has only won 1 title in 18 years, his recruiting at the 6ers especially imports has been absolutely terrible

Reply #791196 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think you find KB had strong success at PL and best experience including NZ and Illawarra. Coaches if I am correct Norwood men's to unexpected championship.Has taken on tough assignments so not afraid to get hands dirty.
Succession planning at its best. Needs to be supported from top down. But so does next coach to have half a fighting chance.

Reply #791199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Frank Arsego was offered, but turned down, the SA High Performance position last year.

May be interested in returning to SA?

Could be a good opportunity to think outside the box - re Will Weaver or any mid level euro coach.

Reply #791203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arsego would have been the perfect guy for that role. Obviously BSA didn't get their first choice.

Arsego's NBL Head Coaching days are long over. Boti just looking after his historic mates as he normally does, seeing the game through his 1980s perspective.

Reply #791206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sman 2 grand finals actually

Recruited

Sobey
Hodgson
Adnam
Childress
Ervin
Randle
Motum
Drmic
Froling
Ferguson
Wiley
Deng

To name a few. Wow people post some shite on here

Reply #791209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Arsego, dear god no...

Reply #791210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for next years roster and start hearing the same people complaining who are happy with Joey leaving. Next they will start blaming the owner.

Reply #791214 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I am neither Coach Wright's biggest fan nor critic.

I think letting Wright go is like hitting whenyou have a 16 in BlackJack.

You could get something better but you are more than likely going to lose out.

But if you do nothing you are also likely to lose but less likely.

Reply #791216 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha spot on analogy

Reply #791219 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kelley and Arsego based in Singapore and he has people in his ear telling him Frank has another run in him.

Hilarious since Arsego never had a 'run in him' the first or second time he was a NBL head coach. In fact he only got in initially by being the promoted assistant after Jeff Green was fired mid-season by the Breakers.

Reply #791221 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Scott Ninnis will be speaking to Joey on his next podcast so stay tuned to the next edition of Sixers Fix with Scott Ninnis.

We might get some insight into what Joey believes is a "budget" playing list and what ownership believes is a "budget" list!

Reply #791222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The absolute elephant in the room?
Any coach with half a brain would not want to live in Adelaide!
Maybe a Gaze Syd type deal where he flies to Melb every chance he gets?

Reply #791225 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Shades of Fearney leaving the Taipans here. Moderate success but seemed to be running out of ideas and steam. Good luck to Joey, he liked a bit of banter with the orange army mid-game.

Also listen to the latest Aussiehoops podcast for an hour-long interview with Shawn Dennis. No way he's in Adelaide next season.

Reply #791227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe stop for a moment and consider that maybe it is Joey who wants to do something else. He has had great support from the owner all the way. Maybe Joey just need to do something else like many other people who have a stressful and demanding job.

Reply #791228 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

With his daughter in Utah

Reply #791244 | Report this post

gawn  
Years ago

I hope the rumours are true - might be able to get Shaun Bruce and Majok Deng back

Reply #791287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And maybe Sobey now he has no fear of his own coach assaulting him......

Reply #791291 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Majok Deng signed a 3 year contract with Cairns.

Reply #791292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He has had great support from the owner all the way.
Hmmm.

Reply #791305 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think the 36ers could be accused of having support for Wright all the way.

Reply #791306 | Report this post

Were they supporting him when the tried to get another well known basketball identity in to run training , do scouting and run game day strategy?

Reply #791311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh really, who?

Reply #791313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This person has been at trainings, refused to undermine Joey from what I understand.

Reply #791314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is in it for Joey...and that's not the way to coach in Adelaide.
Hopefully JVG will understand that SA is different to all the other states in the culture and mindset of the basketball fan here. SA used to have the most knowledgeable crowd, that's not there anymore. Yes whilst numbers are better moving to the Ent. centre, the dynamic of the crowd has changed to your everyday punter, not diehard basketball fanatic. Those people have disappeared. They have no connection with Joey and his bunch of blow in mates that he brings in from everywhere else. Throw in another losing season and it further alienates. You don't just represent the 36ers when you play for them, you represent South Australia. Get people who understand and are proud of that, cos Joey Wright didn't give a shit.

Reply #791317 | Report this post

Thankfully Mr X told them where to go after they detailed what they wanted him to do

Reply #791318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I gained a lot of respect to Mr X over that fiasco, he could have personally profited but instead acted with integrity.

Reply #791321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think Joey is only in it for Joey, you have no idea. Joey is out in the community quite a bit, and has taken time to try to create links with local juniors.

Reply #791323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All you need to do is walk in the St Clair in the offseason and you will have seen him working out kids in the community I assume for no personal gain and SA kids back from college over their breaks.

Has had some elite kids and also some not so good ones come in and train with the team.

I even heard that when his daughter was at Norwood their U12 boys coach asked him to help out practices each week and Joey obliged.

He knows all the good kids coming through and all the local coaches around town. IN the past with 6ers coaches they were totally removed from it all.

Not sure you can accuse him of not linking with the community.

Reply #791328 | Report this post

To the anon above , you have no idea. I have seen Joey at Forrestville go up and say hello to a number of parents by name. He tracks kids from a young age so when they are ready or close to ready he is already connected with them. Motum chose Adelaide because he had known Joey for a decade before playing in the NBL.

Reply #791329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask a few state coaches when his daughter didn't get picked in the state team. Then you'll see the true colours come out......

Reply #791332 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed, Joey is a brilliant recruiter & developer

Reply #791333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has been let down by the players if above is to be believed, maybe time has got something to do with it. To many egos from imports and even local young guys who think next step is nba. Change is required some where, if not coaches at least half the team. Always easier to sack the coaches.

Reply #791334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean those state coaches who walk around like they are gods gift to basketball?

Reply #791337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Randle returning (and Taylor getting removed) a Joey decision or a team owner decision?

Reply #791340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After this years results it looks like he needed it.

Reply #791342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle over Taylor was definitely the correct decision whoever made it.

Reply #791345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Randle is the source of the tension amongst the playing group, then I don't agree it was the right decision.

Reply #791347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor took time to settle but has ended up very reasonable at kings, certainly plays team first and can defend. Randle is well three years past it.

Reply #791348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Randle who won some games off his own hand, the Sixers would be battling Illawarra for last spot. He may be a bad locker room presence (don't know), and you won't win a championship with him, but he can certainly score and takeover a game at times. Sometimes that's enough to win a game against the middle pack teams. No way Taylor can do that.

Reply #791377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor with good coaching maybe able to help you win games as a team, isn't that the first thing required in team sports.

Reply #791378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sometimes that's enough to win a game against the middle pack teams. No way Taylor can do that."

No doubting Randle is more talented but he's also not a team player. How can anyone be sure that Taylor playing a team-first game wouldn't have resulted in contributions across the board and more wins?

I thought it was telling that after the spat between Mcveigh and Randle during last weeks game, Joey had McVeigh in the press conference after.

Reply #791381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cos the talent surrounding Randle is shite. He can pass the ball as much as he wants but if the other rabble can't do anything with it what's the point?
And defensively they are ALL crap.

Reply #791382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Mr X not being named? I know who it is, just curious why it's not being mentioned

Reply #791388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerome Randle is without doubt from numerous sources, a very selfish basketball player. On and off the court. Has been moved on numerous times throughout his career. My issue is, Joey didn't seem to have any idea how to reel the mans big personality in and he’ll him mesh with his team mates. Both should go imo

Reply #791389 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably out of respect for him I would imagine, I suspect I know who it was too.

Reply #791390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr X has previously caused issue with his name appearing on here

Reply #791391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screw Joey. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I hope we never see him coach in Australia again so he cannot destroy any other franchises. The move came 12 months too late. Look at what he did to Hodgson, Sobey, Froling and so many others. People crap on about him being a great coach and great recruiter, but it is all smoke and mirrors. He should have been gone 12 months ago so we had a chance at salvaging Drmic, but Joey has destroyed him too. There is a reason why RJ Hampton and his family did not come here, and that reason is Joey. Snake Oil salesman who finally has had everything catch up to him.

Reply #791392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^must be a Perth supporter, hey KET.

Reply #791394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has this been confirmed yet or is it all BS, till it's confirmed Adelaide supporters had better not get to excited or disappointed, depending on your point of view.

Reply #791396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Boti would have wriiten such a massive obituary if it wasn't true.

Reply #791398 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Honestly I thought the Sixers would give the current coaching staff another 2 years.

We are about 70% of the way to contending.

We need 2 more decent pieces and we are there and I thought that having the increased revenue from the new stadium would provide some of that.

I am willing to stick with Joey for another shot.

Reply #791400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hampton wanted to start Joey didn't think he was ready for that so they chose NZ. Simple as that

Reply #791401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker. Sorry, disagree. That teams lacks any identity, and to say they're 2 pieces away could be said for every team. Current situation swaps no longer tenable. Time for a fresh start.

Reply #791404 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

sevennews gave the story a coupla minutes.... owner doesn't wanna pay the full 2 years
joey did not want to comment while 2 games are left
smyth , kb mentioned

Reply #791407 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#791394 - Why must that be? Let me guess - you like to read in absolutes instead of what is actually posted?

Childish! Must be a Perth fan ;)

Reply #791409 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mr X has previously caused issue with his name appearing on here

Mr X = Voldemort?

Reply #791488 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hmmmm. Joey has 2 more years on his contract and should serve out those 2 years. Good enough to extend good enough to honour... organisation needs to support by looking purse strings and get some real talent into the town. Typical Adelaide - if want joey out then pay him. Sort it out and announce. But send is a no plan except hoping... Sixers get 2 boys win next 2 games to boost the coaches W/L...

Reply #791495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Richards

Reply #791496 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That extension looking real dumb

Reply #791512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac hasn't watched Joey Wright coach defense. Lowest IQ coach in professional leagues

Reply #791518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeya Joey.

Reply #802890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do NBL players read this forum?
Asking for a friend.

Reply #802891 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754