Isaac
Years ago

Bit of noise developing around 76ers woes

Windhorst:

"But anyways, one of the conversations people are starting to have in the league is 'will they move Embiid? What's the price? Where would he go?'

"I'm not going to get into that, but my point is people are talking about that. I don't think they would do that without making an adjustment to the head coach. It's such a radical thing, but the fact that we're in mid-February and the people who work in the league, who have to prepare in advance, are mulling over Joel Embiid potentially coming to market, whether that's true or not... I mean, Josh Harris can come on this podcast and deny it if he wants, but the fact people are talking about it, is not good. It's a symptom of where they are."
Some fan chatter about Brown copping it instead. And then r/NBA gets pretty keen on trading Simmons for refusing to shoot threes like his coach has publicly instructed.

On that last point, I don't know if the public instruction counts - there's every chance privately he's not fussed and figures Simmons is sticking with what is efficient for him. Simmons' EFG% is .608 to Embiid's .507. Surely Brown and Simmons have enough rapport that if Brown literally wanted a 3PA/g, Simmons could manage it.

At home they're a league-best 24-2, but their road record is not great at 9-19. Same as the Knicks. Worse than the Wolves. Does that imply they're coddled? Checked a few players and couldn't find any dramatic differences between home and road. Harris is 5% worse from three on the road? Korkmaz 13% worse from three on the road. Any good sources for team splits?

They had their first game with Robinson III added (12 minutes for 10 points on 5/6 FG), but you'd hope to see better than 7 point wins at home to Chicago given Philly had their main five guys playing while the Bulls were without Markkanen and Porter Jr. DNP for Burks, but Richardson was in, Milton had played well the previous game, and Korkmaz in form.

One thing I don't get about the surround-Ben-with-shooters thing is: aren't those other starters reasonable shooters? They all shoot threes. Off the bench, Korkmaz, Neto, Thybulle, Scott all shoot threes. As a team, they're middle of the pack with 3P%. Nuggets, Thunder, Rockets are all below them. Bucks only one spot ahead.

Topic #46868 | Report this topic

Rod  
Years ago

It's much easier to replace a coach than a superstar player

A. you wont get 70c in the dollar in a trade
B. the GM is going to save his own face first
C. Brown has shot himself in the foot a number of times with a few things he's said in the media about players tuning him out

Reply #792168 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

My concern is this is the next Boomers coach. Is he actually a step up from Lemanis?

Reply #792169 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As he's our Boomers coach - we want him to say friendly with Simmons etc.

Appears to have a few issues:

#1 - Leadership issues amongst stars: Simmons & Embiid both want to be "the man" - Simmons is no where near being that, Embiid doesn't really exude it the right way. This is where losing JJ Reddick was COSTLY.

#2 - Simmons needs to be less stubborn - confidence is not an issue, he needs to jack up some threes, he has the green light. We've discussed the benefits of keeping defenders honest on here before. It's odd to straight up ignore your coach, we haven't heard WHY he is doing that.

#3 - 76ers have "shooters" but not "reliable shooters night-in-night-out" and not "knocks-down-the-shot-when-its-most-required", some shots are worth more than others in terms of timing/importance, i.e. to arrest the struggle, to keep the score chugging along when they can't find anything down low, when Simmons/Embiid are being tied up/stifled, or to keep momentum - put the hand on the throat of the opponent/put the foot down.

#4 - Lack of general effort and lock down defense

Reply #792170 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ME not really - Brown's last stint in the NBL with the Kings was pretty poor from memory. It's worrying but BA are going to BA so this is what we have now.

Reply #792176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Isaac to replace Brown?

Reply #792184 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Elton Brand:

"But as a point guard, he wants to make the best play every time and the higher percentage play. That's just the way his motor works."

Reply #792185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is a four man but wants to play point. He had his fathers mate as coach in college and now in nba family friend. Which other point guard in the world doesn't take jump shots and three point shots. He’s a good player and young but he’s got get out of his limitations.

Reply #792188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Simmons is a four man but wants to play point."

No, he's a point guard with a four man's body. His strengths are his mobility and ball-handling. yes he needs to shoot the open shot more but he would regress if he didn't have the ball in his hands as much.

Reply #792191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #792193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to Miami and be the villains there. Will probably take a package of Bam and maybe Herro or another young piece, but would expect Riley to make a play for him.

Reply #792200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe they don't have until the off-season to swap out Brown? Best to do it before the situation weighs heavily enough on Embiid that he bails?

Reply #792201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly to sign Gleeson to a five year deal.

Reply #792202 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm surprised Brett has lasted this long.

As for comparing his results in the NBA versus his likely results in World Champs or FIBA tournaments, they’re very different games and with different types of players and rules. We can only wait and see.

Reply #792233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point guards don't shoot. He’s a modern 4 man that handles the ball.

Reply #792243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when will all the genius's realise that shooting 6/6 from 3 feet away from the basket is better than going 0/3 from the three point line.
Embiid 7 foot tall hangs around the three and doesnt like to bang bodies, he is soft and injury prone, you would trade him in an instant this off season because some stupid club like would give you heaps for him.
Embiid will be like dwight howard, big guy with heaps of potential who never got anything out of it

Reply #792385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754