Anonymous
Years ago

Players changed rooming arrangements behind my back: Joey

In an interview with SEN, Joey Wright has said that he knew this year's Sixers team didn't have the required commitment when they defied his rooming arrangements on the road.

Joey had paired players together based on particular personality matches, but they changed them behind his back so that players could room with players they preferred to room with.

Interesting.

Topic #46959 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This probably didn't need its own thread.

Reply #795600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean the team that Joey Wright put together himself??

Reply #795604 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Joey should go on a holiday and shut the hell up!

Talking is making him look worse and worse!

Reply #795606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How controlling telling a bunch of adults who they can room with.

Reply #795607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Always 2 sides to every story

Reply #795608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It isn't really controlling, it's actually quite common. It's also to prevent toxic personalities from linking up, as well as to help some of the ones who don't fit in to feel more included etc. Another reason is to put a more positive influence in with someone who may be prone to negativity and so on.

Reply #795610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Joey ordered cornflakes for breakfast but one of the players brought him rice bubbles. It was at that moment he knew they didn't have what it takes to succeed in this league.

Interesting.

Reply #795613 | Report this post

Bill Beaver  
Years ago

Are you implying that he might be a cereal killer? Defamatory and disturbing.

Reply #795628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the HC had so little authority he couldn't even manage to get these blokes to adhere to sleeping arrangements.

Sounds like a leadership failure to me. You know... The thing the HC is responsible for.

Reply #795634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey also said on the interview that he brought Kevin White in to be a leader of the team but he just stood back (for reasons he didn't want to disclose but that he indicated would be uncomfortable for Kevin if he revealed them).

Reply #795635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So the HC had so little authority he couldn't even manage to get these blokes to adhere to sleeping arrangements.

Sounds like a leadership failure to me. You know... The thing the HC is responsible for."

This example actually shows petulance from the players. If they can't follow a simple request of rooming with certain teammates then it speaks a lot about their own maturity.

Reply #795637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Kevin can now go back to Waratah league and play at his level now. The whole episode as sad for both sides of the argument.

Reply #795638 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Joey also said on the interview that he brought Kevin White in to be a leader of the team but he just stood back (for reasons he didn't want to disclose but that he indicated would be uncomfortable for Kevin if he revealed them).
Is it just me or does that sound like a threat?

Reply #795642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This example actually shows petulance from the players. If they can't follow a simple request of rooming with certain teammates then it speaks a lot about their own maturity."

Then punish them for it appropriately. Don't just be a passive aggressive dick. This wouldn't fly at any other club.

Reply #795643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he did punish them. He isn't being passive aggressive by telling people what the players did wrong.

Reply #795645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe everyone should look at the players themselves.

Randle - no defensive knowhow and lazy
Froling - unfit and plain lazy
Griffin - no D and all about himself on the offensive end
Moore - just at the end

Team just didn't play for one for each other and weren't professional

Club needs to get rid of all four

Reply #795653 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ha! I'm sure Joey is getting a good laugh out of today's events.

Reply #795665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man players change rooms all the time. They usually have a buddy and they often like to switch it up. If anything it's a more positive thing that they did. Joeey, bye bye. Let's hope is never on Australian NBL soil again.

Reply #795670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the ABC:

Wright and the club "mutually agreed" to part ways on Wednesday evening, after seven years at the helm.

Yesterday he spoke to the ABC about the club's culture.

"Everyone that knows me knows what kind of culture person I am," Wright said.

"If there was anybody setting culture rules there and wanting to abide by them, it's me.

"That's probably one of my downfalls.

"I'm too hardcore about keeping culture the way it's supposed to be and doing the things you're supposed to."

Reply #795691 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just my opinion but I think Joey should be careful about what he spits to the media; I don't know if it realises it but these types of stories actually reflect worse on him more than anybody else. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Reply #795707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naughty boys.

Reply #795724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, it seems the Frolings have issues everywhere they go.

Reply #795726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#726, Sam seems to be fine but the rest have trouble written all over them.

Reply #795732 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Thought players would get their own rooms these days? I guess it could be a bonding thing, surely not related to saving money?

Reply #795735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classy to the end.... Good on you Joey!!

Reply #795736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big fat harry frolling. Let of the hungry jacks

Reply #795748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is like the time Isaac and Oscar switched room on their unsuspecting folks

Reply #795762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all seriousness what coach in theyre right mind would have teys and white on the same team? Self sabotage at its finest

Reply #795774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like the time Isaac and Oscar switched Ferrari's.

Reply #795775 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Was Wright wrong re his rooming combinations and culture stopping with him. He implied he was fine with players being out at the night clubs into the early morning when that incident came out. Not too many other professional sports that have players still heading out to clubs when on road trips anymore etc etc. Interesting day all round.

Reply #795814 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know if Wright was wrong but if White was right then I don't want to be Wright

Reply #795818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ haha gold

Reply #795835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This whole thing stinks...
Lots of people with axes to grind it appears.
To be honest, I don't think either side has handled things well...

Reply #795836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was so lame.

Reply #795837 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If wright is right and he is right then white is wrong. But if white is right then wright is wrong. But I thought if right is wrong then it's left. So white is right and wright is left. But everyone says wright is gone guess because he is left. But if wright is right then white must be left.so that be white left right out.

Reply #795885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you make more sense than anyone in this thread thus far

Reply #795886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Interesting. I've asked on here before about the bags under his eyes which had developed over the last few years. No one else mentioned or noticed it. Didn't look like he was healthy but lifestyle could also explain it."
So is there a point here? Are you a Doctor? "Lifestyle could explain it? Oh you mean stress coaching and NBL team?

Reply #795889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm now really glad that this didn't all bubble up in Cairns when Fearney left. I get the feeling that it had the potential to.

Reply #795906 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Joey also said on the interview that he brought Kevin White in to be a leader of the team but he just stood back (for reasons he didn't want to disclose but that he indicated would be uncomfortable for Kevin if he revealed them)". How accurate is this though???

Implicit character assassination right there. Either by Wright towards White, or by poster towards Wright.

Reply #795911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Implicit character assassination right there. Either by Wright towards White, or by poster towards Wright."

The interview is online at sen's website. You can form your own opinion

Reply #795921 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Everything to me sounds like a few certain players just did their own thing. the results on the floor speak for themselves. Look at the loss to the Hawks. They beat the breakers in NZ, thought they were world beaters and they lost to the Hawks, they couldn't even get a rebound. They also had their pants pulled down by the Breakers at home too. Then when Randle and co decide to play team ball they go and beat Perth. I can remember hearing rumours of whinging when it was announced home base for training at Bearcats courts. The poor little pampered players wanted 5 star venue and treatment. I think some of these players are a bit soft and got together and just undermined everything. We'll see which players disappear I suppose.

Reply #796167 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I be keen to hear the other co captains thoughts. Teys surely needs to be asked questions and you think KB observations be interesting too. Also who in Admin was knowledgeable about the events. Reaction and actions. The ramifications just get more intriguing. .
Thought getting new coach would be the off season focus. Seems like now that's least of problems. Need a mother hen. Is situation beyond repair to the brand. Pity marketing trying to get naming sponsors. Trying to recruit players. Local and imports. And we laughed at the kiwis woes... fuck this be huge joke if wasn't so serious. No winners here. Like the season it's one complete fuck up. Fuck up more because of own doing.

Reply #796242 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Glen Rice who?
What a circus this has become.

Joey Wright needs to hit the mute button on his mouth and hope he can get another job let alone in sports.
This has quickly become a trainwreck for all involved.
No one who is speaking publicly from the organisation is salvaging their reputation in this. There are no winners.

Reply #796247 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754