Essen
Years ago

Walsh: Breakers could look like Tall Blacks

An interesting point: Kiwi players based offshore may come back and play for the Breakers.

Similarly, could there be a flood of top Aussie players based in Europe playing here next season (provided we have one at all!).

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/basketball/breakers-could-field-all-kiwi-line-up-due-coronavirus-impacts-owner-says

Topic #47120 | Report this topic

Alex  
Years ago

Possible with COVID19.

Reply #802387 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Definitely possible. If NZ can sort the community transmission in the next 4-6 weeks, there could be a New Zealand Basketball league of some description in July/August.

For a Breakers roster..

Fotu / Loe / Salt
Delany / Ngatai (as long as its not Vodanovich)
Abercrombie / Te Rangi (Brisbane clearly don't need him)
C.Webster / Rusbatch
T.Webster / Weeks (in NZ for Southland)

Fotu and Webster filling import $$$ would be a boon for Spark Arena for 2020-21.

Reply #802396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster / Weeks / Li(DP)
Webster / Rusbatch
Hopson / Abercrombie / Ngatai
Delaney / Fotu
Loe / Salt / Wynyard(DP)

Only 1 import.
Henry and Ashley's money to get Webster and Fotu

Reply #802399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's the case I hope Henry and Ashley get picked up by other NBL teams. Both are quality players who the Breakers should have re-signed in my opinion.

Reply #802419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fotu would start over Delaney

Reply #802420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it way too early for the Breakers to be making these calls? If I were them I would wait and see how this pans out.

Reply #802421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with a bit of hypothetical chat.
During these tough times it keeps us going.

Imagine a Sydney lineup without imports.....

Reply #802425 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Is interesting to consider an NBL without imports (seems like countries will lockdown their borders except to those with minor levels of community transmission - hopefully Aus and NZ can get to that stage to open borders between one another) - unlikely Americans will be allowed in with their statistics.

Reply #802427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

T Webster/Henry
Hopson/C Webster
Delany/Abercrombie/Ngatai
Fotu/Ashley
Loe/Salt
+ Next Star (Second round draft pick from this years draft). Also Cut Weeks.

DP Li & Wetzell

Reply #802429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^that would be a championship winning team.

Reply #802433 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

That's why New Zealand desperately need two teams!

Reply #802436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would any of the NZ players be recruited by any of the Australian NBL teams? Or Australian players recruited by the Breakers?

For there to be a 20/21 NBL season with the Breakers in it, the borders between the two countries would have to be open. So these scenarios would become possibilities.

Reply #802439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian NBL teams should be looking at these NZ players as well.

I think the NBL is looking at number of scenarios for next season. Including delaying the start of the season, or even playing a shortened season. If the borders aren't open then I’m not sure how it will work for the Breakers.

Reply #802440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should be using this s time to get wnbl folded and rebuilt to align.

Reply #802443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane have reasonable Australian squads, Perth lead the way though with good Australian players plus Cotton and Plumlee still here. Prather could be still here as well. The other sides might struggle a bit.

Reply #802444 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Will see what will happen.

Reply #802459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NZ and Aus can keep the spread of coronavirus under control, i imagine they might open borders soley to eachother.

USA though, i cant see border's opening for a year, or until there is a vaccine.

Reply #802531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot will depend on if some of our Euro guys can come back.
Also plenty of college based guys would want to come back I would imagine....who would want to be in the U.S right now.

That would help bolster some rosters as only a handful of imports are still here in Australia.

Reply #802536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754