Anonymous
Years ago

How’s the NBL going?

With all the external owners and internal owner of the NBL, has anyone heard of any impact that the NBL may have?

We must support the league in order to have a good one!! I think that we should all band to together as fans/hoop community and do what we can. Having a professional basketball league after the virus passes is much need for all the community.

Stick together, and support your team (if you can) I have decided to buy an extra membership from my club, as my workplace hasn't yet been impacted. If it does, I was told I could get it back.

Work together,

Topic #47136 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Which club?

Reply #802738 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The league is going to look different next year. I expect all teams to survive, with LK's help or otherwise. However I think we're going to be looking at team's running under the following scenarios.

Either:

a) No imports
b) Cutting squads to 10
c) a later season
d) possibly no international flight, putting question marks on New Zealand

or e) we actually manage to be the only country not to be completely fucked over, international travel bans ease. Imports looking for jobs in a stable country come here. NBL starts before everyone else and catches international eyes by doing so. League continues to go from strength to strength.

Any of these are possible but the league will look different.

Reply #802740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 imports, 10 man rosters, I'd think there would be salary reductions but I’m hoping not, one less player is a small reduction. A lot depends on what happens in Europe, if they recover and still have money to pay players Australian players will look to go there if nbl not paying and so will imports. I’d say Perth, Sydney, Melbourne will still be financially strong, Adelaide, Phoenix, NZ, not to bad, even Cairns could be ok but no one knows re Illawarra till new owners in place.
Cost savings could be scheduling more doubles, like Brisbane, Cairns on same weekend, United and Phoenix, Perth and Adelaide type doubles would save on accommodation and travel perhaps.
Let’s not turn it back into the bush league it was not that long ago. Hopefully for once we got one on the afl where they are all get pay cuts but the nbl is still strong.

Reply #802741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sponsors are going to pay for a no import NBL. None if they are smart.

Reply #802742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sporting leagues are looking at centralised tournaments operating out of a single quarantined venue, then relying on broadcast. Scheduling might mean the NBL doesn't need to panic about that yet.

Are there NBL1 imports still in Australia that might cope at NBL level?

Reply #802743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A sponsor that wants their logo on the only sport being played at the time I guess? Aquim, Coles, Woolworths etc etc

Reply #802744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any European players come back home to escape the crap going on there or were they too late. If they are in italy or Spain they would definitely be wishing they had. Would imagine a big pay cut is better than no pay and living in a nightmare if nbl goes ahead.

Reply #802765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The euro leagues start around end September, all the lower divisions have been called off, the top division in Italy called off this week. Angus Brandt has arrived home and is in isolation. Some of the other top leagues are still on hold like the nba. I'm not certain any of these competitions will get finished. Lots already planing next season.

Hopefully most countries have something sorted out by September including Australia.

Reply #802766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are there NBL1 imports still in Australia that might cope at NBL level?"
Nope, all gone home afaik or didn't even arrive on our shores.

"A sponsor that wants their logo on the only sport being played at the time I guess? Aquim, Coles, Woolworths etc etc"
Strange that they aren't already sponsoring.
If the NBL are playing then all other MAJOR sporting codes will be playing as well. An importless NBL is a bust.

Reply #802768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only imports but best Australians playing abroad.

Reply #802772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary cap cut, maybe as much as 50%. Next stars will earn more than most the players.

Reply #802776 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The teams themselves wont be losing a lot of money at this particular time. The owners of course, may. But I don't think we're going to see salary caps halved. The NBL was lucky the season ended while it did because it only lost a week's worth of ticketing income as opposed to a full season like the NRL, NBA and AFL.

Reply #802778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the nbl goes on with no financial cuts it will show it's in a strong position, if they cut deep it will show it’s a house of cards.

Reply #802779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of aussies and kiwis to fill import spots

Reply #802780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man someone is talking Next Stars. Seriously? Then someone says plenty of Aussies and Kiwis to fill import spots. PLease name a few. 100% sure you can't. Are people seriously that deluded that they will think everything will go back to normal immediately?

Reply #802785 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I really don't think imports will be the problem.
IF we have a competition, its likely we'll be ahead of many others.

We could well have players back from Europe, and unable or unwilling to go back there.

The USA is going to be in trouble, so the the NBA could also be delayed in returning. Meaning we could even see ex-NBA guys coming home.
And if international travel is possible in limited situations, then Americans and their families will be queuing up for chance to come here.
Keep in mind that if you're a professional player, coming out for a season, buying tickets on the limited flights and serving a 2 week quarantine period on arrival, are not too big a hardship.

IF there's only a partial "solution" the most likely problems are the regular flights and the crowds.
Airports & planes will remain a huge problem until the virus is thoroughly eradicated. Even if restrictions are relaxed, if there is still a call to limit non-essential travel and/or self-isolate for 2 weeks, then interstate comps remain impractical.
They might need to look at something like the AFL proposal. Bring multiple teams into one city, serve out the isolation period, then play round-robins for several weeks, then mix and repeat.
Thing is that potentially works for the AFL because they can sell the games on tv. Without crowds, the NBL may be too expensive.
I suppose in part it depends on how much they can cut costs, how cheap the players are, how much pain the stadiums will wear, how deep the owners pockets are, and how much the government chips in.

Reply #802788 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Does anyone know which imports stayed behind in AU?- besides- Bryce Cotton?

Reply #802790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee stayed. Kings guys went home, probably want to get back the way it's tracking over there. ::))

Reply #802791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't the imports come here on cruise ships? A bit longer but apparently passengers can get in even if they do have the virus!

Reply #802792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cruse ships and ou pairs get in on a phone call. Just got know the right people. :)

Reply #802793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Dazz. The Cruise ships loonies are out it seems. What's an ou pair girl? These people think they are serious!

Reply #802794 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The updated answer to this question is 'not well'. It's been revealed by the CEO of Sportando that the NBL is telling players to accept 50% pay, no health insurance and no end-of-career insurance, and anyone not accepting of that can be stood down. This indicates to me that the NBL isn't coping as well through this pandemic as we had hoped.

Players with other qualifications and businesses are unlikely to risk it, I would think.

Reply #802809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah just saw this rumour/leak. Brutal. The quality of the game will immediately diminish. Better leagues will offer better deals and the best will move on.

Reply #802810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If correct, as the nay sayers have been saying it's built on BS.

It was a chance to show how strong the product was but as usual re basketball it never lasts.

Reply #802812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Better leagues will offer better deals"

In which countries?

Reply #802814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think euro league clubs, and the top European countries would still have a few billionaires with good financials. Some Asian markets might still be ok, South Korea, Japan, China, even Asian league teams could start spending more than nbl if the cap is cut in half.

What would happen to players like Cotton, Ware, Machado, etc if there wages were cut in half, even the Bogut, Kay, Goulding and these types of players plus guys in Europe would not be in rush to return if there is no money in it.

A lot of questions not many answers yet. Nbl might be better letting it play out, let free agency happen as is with the knowledge there could be cuts if normality takes longer.

Reply #802815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can go to South Korea and get Corona Virus twice!! Great idea. The NBL has been struggling since LK too over. Now in tough times they have to pull the purse strings in. With ridiculous salaries alegedly been paid all he has done is run 4 teams of his own and pay for them and the rest of the League out of his own pocket.
Something has to give and with the last 4 or 5 players sitting on the bench yet again getting paid ridiculous amounts. Time to intoduce a hard cap and for once in the NBL's history police and enforce it. Caught cheating lose championship popints.

Reply #802816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm you can go to anywhere in Australia and get it twice? Not sure what you're on about. Like stated above, euro leagues with owners with deeper pockets is where guys will go/risk lifestyle.

Reply #802819 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I thought that by escaping the brunt of the pandemic the NBL was going to come out of this okay - I was wrong. If this is what they're already asking of players, it wouldn't surprise me if the league is relegated to a glorified SEABL.

Reply #802820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the old days, maybe LK should get on the phone to Paul Smith, he seems to to have real money. Sell him 49%.

Maybe it is time to go to a hard maximum cap but you are not getting any of the Boguts, and quality imports hear. No way Cotton would've turned up in Perth for peanuts a few seasons ago.

Reply #802823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you want the NBL to survive of over pay (many over rated) players far more than they are worth and have no NBL? It's been looming for years and I would be pretty sure that LK is now bleeding money like so many of us are.

Reply #802824 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I want the league to survive but some sort of league will exist regardless. If it's going to end up a bullshit bush league then I don't really see myself watching it too closely.

Reply #802825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke, would be interested bu the bush league option lol

Reply #802828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, till LK took it over even Gaze was calling to shut it down, no one is going to pay to watch rubbish. Oh well back to bush league and no interest.

Reply #802829 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What type of league or business can handle such a drop in revenue and wear all the pain by itself?

Even a powerhouse like AFL is doing it.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's a House of Cards BS. If that is the case then the AFL and NRL are a House of Cards...who would have bravely said that?

Reply #802830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nrl has been a house cards since the early nineties and the packer, Murdoch war over pay tv. It was only time before it collapsed, certainly once clubs shut down and no pokies money. The afl will survive because it has been set up better but relies on tv right. The nbl hasn't had massive tv rights and I don’t see Bunnings, hungry jacks, chemists warehouse and some of there main sponsors losing money even now. It’s either a house off cards or they are trying to cut cost far more than is required.

If it returns to a bush league which it was you will get the same support as before which was poor at best and all the progress will be lost.

Reply #802833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL have borrowed $600mill to pay players $50% of their over priced contacts, for NOT PLAYING FFS. THe NRL are trying to proceed with a competition starting May 28th without a braodcast agreement yet to be put in place.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/04/nine-lashes-out-at-nrl-mismanagement.html
Where have their Billions of revenue gone?

LK is a mere small fish comparered to these behemoths. He has interests in 4 NBL clubs, therein lies the problem, plus running the NBL. Tassie has already been "dropped" for 2 months. So more outgoining with no revenue if and when that starts again. Enforced salary cap is the anser and maybe 1 or 2 imports only and No Future players. Knuckle down and make some hard decisions LK.

Reply #802835 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What?
Obviously players will have to take pay cuts, unless EVERYTHING is completely back to normal, which seems unlikely. Even if the threat has past, there will be less money from fans and sponsors.
And I'm pretty sure guys like Cotton would be happy with half the money and living in Perth. (Just hope his mum was able to stay.)

If the threat has been completely eliminated throughout the world, then yes those leagues with huge tv revenues will bounce back quicker.
But I still think a lot of guys will think twice about playing in China, etc.
And that's some pretty big assumptions, in some countries its going to be a long time before things get back to normal.

Reply #802836 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If we are stuck with some restrictions, a problem might be trying to ensure balance within the league..

What happens if Perth has access to 2 or 3 gun imports, and other teams can't get any.
Or your star import gets injured, and even after you find a replacement, he has to wait for a flight, and then serve 2 weeks quarantine.

Or what happens if a team is able to legitimately sign ex NBA players for only $100k per year, because the NBA is shut-down and they're just happy to home.

Reply #802837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are talking about a 14 day lockdown with Covid. We are talking about things back to normal, sorry.

Reply #802839 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's the point of discussing things being back to normal when it's over a year away?

Reply #802840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doom and gloom.
Doom and gloom.

Reply #802842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame to see theat the message hasn't sunk in yet with a stupid comment like above. Bury your head in the sand one of the many many more idiot posts here.

Reply #802843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"no one is going to pay to watch rubbish"

Ratings are not that large now, in the scheme of such things. I actually think they wouldn't drop much under a so-called bush league scenario. The problem's more likely to be that the advertisers and sponsors won't be in positions to stump up the cash to cover the production costs.

Posters above are saying Euro leagues will be running alongside the NBL. How likely is that and how much impact might that have? The restrictions in place in the Schengen region, the rest of Europe and Russia are so much tougher than Australia's in most cases. Even so, they're still in a way worse position than Australia is, in terms of COVID-19 impacts. And in the USA the daily rate of new cases looks like it's resumed increasing, after a few days of decreases.

Doesn;t NBL have a better chance of getting going by October than any of those countries' leagues? Unless the countries adopt the strategy of letting the virus run through the population. In which case, who would want to go and play there instead of Australia? And why would Australia let in imports from countries with such a policy?

Anyway, it's all hypothetical and so much hinges on finding effective, low cost, mass producible treatments - most likely pharmaceutical - for COVID-19.

Reply #802846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China is already easing sanctions and Italy and Spain shortly.

No point having a league that's equal to nbl1, be better strengthening those leagues and have play off series at the end, between top two in each league. Lot less money for all round.

The main sponsors of the league should’ve been isolated by the virus, Bunnings, chemists warehouse, hungry jacks probably even doing better.

Reply #802847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think the Euroleague will run this season you are dumb as dog shit. NBL has a higher chance of running as we are doing a fantastic job flattening the curve. Europe is a total mess if anything we will attract more of our Euroleague guys back home.

Reply #802848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope our Euro based guys come home.
Money isn't everything, Australia is a safe country compared to many others, this virus has highlighted that.

Reply #802849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you better go over to the euro league site and see how Russian, Greek, Italian, Spanish teams and see how they are already chasing and trying to get players for the 20-21 season. Other countries as well if you read back a bit.

You can then find the dog shit and probably eat it because it shows how dumb you are.

Reply #802854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China is already easing sanctions and Italy and Spain shortl

So will Australia. Except for international travel, and you'll find all countries will be in the same boat.

Reply #802855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

School holidays attract low quality posters like the kid making dog shit references.

Reply #802856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will australia. Bullshit.

Reply #802857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think Australia will still be in isolation mode when other parts of the world open up?

Reply #802859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe you better go over to the euro league site and see how Russian, Greek, Italian, Spanish"

LMAO yeah mate like those are the only country that play in the euroleague you dipshit they wont play there 2020/21 season

Reply #802861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having watched many Euroleague games live and knowing the league well and also spent time living in parts of Europe if you think that Euroleague will play this season you are next-level stupid. all good they can contact players to re-sign that doesn't mean shit till they're on the court. Look at the top Euroleague nations and look at the confirmed cases in those countries. Italy, Spain, Germany, France are all in the top 5 all over 100k cases. Turkey not far behind. Russias numbers are around 13k however that's up for you to believe. Do you honestly reckon these multimillion-dollar clubs will risk their players and business safety to play with huge amounts of cases in the country? Say they resume and one player gets it they'll shut the league down again. Sponsors will pull out and the league will lose a shit load of money. You're literally an idiot if you believe they'll be playing.

Reply #802862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can then find the dog shit and probably eat it because it shows how dumb you are."

Says the guy going onto the Euroleague website and seeing an article about a player re-signing and believing cause a contract was signed the whole league is about to begin again. You, sir, are the idiot.

Reply #802863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The euro leagues don't start till September for 20-21, yet you expect the nbl up and running. You work it out, play in Australia for peanuts or Europe for real money. That’s of course if any league starts up, which no one knows yet.

Reply #802867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread has derailed.
Thanks covid19.

Reply #802868 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Dazz you are talking about a 14 day lockdown with Covid. We are talking about things back to normal, sorry.

fair enough, I'm trying to cover all eventualities, but it's hard.

We are 6 months away from season 20/21, which means 3~4 months from pre-season activities.

Even if we put aside the lingering economic effects, the world will not be back to normal in that time.
America is the centre of the basketball universe, and they are fucked.

Furthermore, yes, many affluent/Western nations may well have the virus under control, but many countries will not.
And its like everything the government does, they are too slow to enact measures, and even slower to repeal them.
International travel will be the last ban to be lifted. If we've learnt one thing, its that banning travel from the epicentre is almost irrelevant once it has spread to other cities and airports.
So if the virus is still present in say Burma, and China has recommenced flights to Thailand, that means we can't risk flights to China, etc, etc.

As for Europe, they are going to be a clusterfuck for some time to come. The problem with the EU is that once they lift travel restrictions, it becomes a free-for-all again, and their lack of border controls means that the disease can still re-enter from Africa & Asia

Reply #802871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australians won't be able to fly out till new year and you would think fly inns the same, but Australia should open up with caution, so if you are in Australia you should be able to play in the league. If as reported that Cotton and Plumlee are still hear Perth will get the three peat. Machado in Cairns will be useful as well, Prather to if still hear.

Supporters smarter than me that know teams list should try put sides together. Be good while we are in lock down.

Reply #802872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supporters puttings fantasy teams together. Meh.

Reply #802873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*here.
Covid19 affecting grammar.

Reply #802874 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Australians won't be able to fly out till new year
That's absurdly optimistic.

Borders won't open until there's vaccine, which is over a year away.

Reply #802876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz knows his stuff.
Respect.

Reply #802877 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

This virus is going to have many of the effects of a full blown war. Thanks China!

Reply #802879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Me, ME

Reply #802880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ ME you cam say that again brother.

Reply #802882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*can

Reply #802885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be able to save money on cutting a few highly paid commentators.

Reply #802923 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They may not have necessarily saved much money in the situation. Having people like John Casey and Shane Heal courtside is probably more expensive than the people they had doing the courtside stuff previously.

I wonder what dictates who commentates what game, there never seemed much consistency: you'd have someone not heard from from a month then suddenly they’re doing a few games or Hudson.

Last year there was more consistency and the consistent teaming up was straight up bad. I can handle Dwayne and Matt Russell, can’t handle Corey and Screen. Cam Luke isn’t an anchor worthy commentator sorry.

Reply #802924 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Good point KET, maybe the inconsistency with the commentators could be because some of the AFL/NRL commentators could be taking their end of season holiday which is taken during the NBL season. Which leads me to believe they are only doing NBL calls because they're employed by Fox Sports and still under contract.

Its just a speculative thought and could be wrong. For example every year Dwayne Russell would call a bunch of games early, then dissapear for a large chuck, and then return towards the end. Same with Matt Russell who isnt seen at the start, but does all the games at the end including the playoffs. Then Huddo would do random one-off games here and there to fill in.

Last year was a bit more consistency though, which is probably a result of the commentating hub out of Melbourne.

Reply #802925 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which leads me to believe they are only doing NBL calls because they're employed by Fox Sports and still under contract.
Despite the fact that Fox Sports had literally nothing to do with the NBL broadcasts this past season?

Reply #802929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide would not be cheap.

Imo anything more than 20% across board would be a massive backward step. The quality of the league is good, let's keep it that way.

Reply #802931 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Ah yeah, thats true, thanks KR :) These guys were Fox commentators though, so even if the NBL hired them for their exclusive coverage, they were likely due for their holidays during the NBL season/footy offseason, which was the point I was making regarding how consistent they were used during the NBL season.

Reply #802936 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha there was definitely a nicer way KR could have said Fox Sports don't play a part in NBL broadcast.

That smiley face had "wanker" written all over it!

Reply #802937 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have a look on social media while a game is going on and see how many people are tweeting at the Fox Sports account to complain about commentary, graphics, etc. I've lost all patience with that.

Reply #802939 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's completely understandable given virtually all the commentators are Fox guys and the NBL was on Fox the previous season.

Reply #802940 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even when it was on Fox, Fox itself still had nothing to do with the production.

Fox Sports hasn't been the correct avenue of complaint since 2016.

Reply #802941 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wouldn't expect the average punter to know such acute details of NBL broadcasting information.

Bloody hate the hub, anyone want to predict when that virus will be vaccinated?

Reply #802944 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least Heal got relegated from the commentary booth to sideline only towards the end of the season. Homicide next? Baby steps.

Reply #802950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame you aven't been. The few days hiatus was commented on by several. ^5

Reply #802951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shame you aven't been. The few days hiatus was commented on by several. ^5"

Quality contribution...

Reply #802957 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bloody hate the hub, anyone want to predict when that virus will be vaccinated?
I'm fairly sure the cricket already uses a hub. The footy is looking at a hub. The trend is towards the hub, across all sports, not away from it.

There's every chance that in five or ten years in-venue commentary is very rare.

Reply #802960 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

If all sports are leaning towards a hub, would that then make the NBL hub more acceptable from fans? Or will everybody start hating on it from viewers of all sports until everyone is used to it?

Is this an innovation the NBL has pioneered, or cursed across all sports?

(BTW, for koberulz in particular who will no doubt point it out, i know the NBL didnt pioneer this and its been used well before the NBL tried it this year). Although I believe it may be a first for local sports here though.

Reply #802963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw an expert saying there might not ever be a vaccine, like aids etc.

Reply #802964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hub was ok, just need the right neutral commentators. No bias coverage, call the game, you only need a caller and one expert plus one sideline commentator. Less is sometimes more. Keep it simple and on track, I don't need Heal telling me the Frolings are nba ready or Cadee is in the top five players in the league.

Reply #802966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary in the major sports doesn't come from the Hub. The video reviews do.
LK's just saving mmoney by not flying commentators around the country.

Reply #802971 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think they say it's about production side of things opposed to flying people around.

Otherwise they could have come up with better local commentary teams I.e Lachy Reid and Redhage in Perth, Casey and Maher in Adelaide

Reply #802978 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Commentary in the major sports doesn't come from the Hub.
Would you know if it did?

Reply #802985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not going!

Reply #802989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course to do, you see them at the grounds it's obvious they are there. Not in a room. If you were at the ground/s you can use binoculars to see them idiot. Stop being such a twat (as usual)

Reply #802991 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

ESPN tend to do a bit of hub stuff in the past on March madness before switching to the cbs commentary for the later round games, same for Fox Sports when doing boomers games.

Cricket they have commentators at the ground for both Fox and Seven. AFL seven in its entirety commentary team wise and Fox for their core team are done from the stadium (Fox also utilise their studio/lab)

Winter Olympics they've done via hub in Australia before, not in Vancouver but they did for Sochi. I think Seven were likely to head in this direction for Summer Olympics - send a few core people over to Tokyo and have the rest do it from the hub in Australia

Reply #803006 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have never seen, on TV, any footage that would indicate AFL or BBL commentators are clearly at the ground (and in the case of the BBL in particular it very much looks like a hub, and several had difficulty identifying rain this past season). The AFL has indicated interest in a hub.

We're at a point now where the tech is clearly there, at which point broadcasters simply aren't going to want to waste the money. More and more broadcasts are coming from hubs. Anyone suggesting otherwise is essentially like someone saying in 2006 that iTunes would never catch on.

Reply #803007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man you really do have blinkers on KR. Go to your local BBL AFL, cricket game and see the commentators on the ground. The same for cricket and AFL. You post a lot of crap but this seriously has me scratching my head that you really indeed don't know what you are talking about.

Reply #803010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The end of the month is approaching fast, the clubs will need to know how the cap works and so will players. Let's get on with it as by September when training starts the virus should be in control and society at least in Australian boarders can get back to a bit normality.

Reply #803011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the end of the month got to do with anything? Long way from doing anything anywhere yet.

Reply #803055 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As of now, free agency starts on May 1st.

Reply #803056 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It'd be super tough for roaming Brian Taylor to be done from a hub haha

Indeed I’ve seen them on the ground and you see them pregame often on the ground.

Cricket it’s more clear because they spend a substantial amount of pregame on the ground

Reply #803057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We knew that already Koberulz re free agency.
Old news.
#stayathome.
#panicbuy
#fearthepandemic.

Reply #803059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free agency for a start, keep with it.

Reply #803060 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It'd be super tough for roaming Brian Taylor to be done from a hub haha
The NBL broadcasts had sideline commentators in the venue as well.

The AFL have said they're looking at it, which I assume means they haven't done it, but it's still heading in that direction.

We knew that already Koberulz re free agency.
Old news.
"What does the end of the month have to do with anything?"
"That's when free agency starts."
"We already knew that."

Fuck off.

Reply #803061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch your foul mouth please.

Reply #803063 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hahahaha you don't watch AFL do you

Brian Taylor ain’t no boundary line commentator!

Reply #803069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO all the commentary in AFL is from a bunker because Koberules says so and said " have never seen, on TV, any footage that would indicate AFL or BBL commentators are clearly at the ground (and in the case of the BBL in particular it very much looks like a hub.." When you sit in a little booth at the ground KR (at the cricket) there are times when its hard to tell if the mizzle is indeed rain. Even at the ground as a spectator the same thing applies. The ground lighting makes it difficuly. But I guess you wouldn't know that because you clearly have never to been to a live AFL, cricket of BBL game Idiot. Fuck OFf.

Reply #803093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobeisdead being called out. Excellent.

Reply #803102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754