Years ago

Joey Wright on the Derek Rucker podcast

Tomorrow night at 8pm EST on Instagram Live

TheRuckStar Instagram

Topic #47181 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Winter is coming, brace for it!

Any chance of them hot tubbing Wright and White?

Reply #804164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two flogs on a podcast. Should be riveting

Reply #804166 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Rucker can talk about how he wrecked an association after he defrauded them.

Wright can talk about how he wrecked an NBL club with his coaching style.

Should be a great listen.

Reply #804182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

birds of a feather flock together

Reply #804183 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

#norespect

Reply #804197 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

What association did Rucker defraud?

Reply #804203 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gladstone.

Reply #804205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slow thread day.

Reply #804206 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Other podcasters have done worse

Reply #804215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazes me how people still support Joey wright and give him a voice. I'm sure will spin how he wished his players would commit suicide as much as he can. But luckily we’ve seen the screenshots already.

Reply #804231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a private conversation posted on twitter with no other context about how the players had made Joey's life difficult. It was a dick move from all parties.

Reply #804233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it was just typical asshat Joey. Got what he deserved, just a few years too late.

Reply #804234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made joeys life difficult omg lol

Yeah was one too many chit chats, and finally one of them was exposed. If you think it was some one odd incident and not more of a general vibe, you're being very naive.

Reply #804237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely bad taste by Joey especially in group chat context, call me a prick, never wished suicide on anyone, but have said things in private that would get me crucified publically as has a lot of people.
Should have kept mouth shut instead of spouting off in media, that's what caused White to bring things in open.

Reply #804239 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Exactly. Kevin White hasn't exposed anything about Joey at all. I don't for one second think that what he said in the message was particularly nice but no one else should ever have seen it. It was a poor choice by him to vent his frustration in that way but no one else needed to know. Joey isn't advocating that these players should really do this. I actually felt sorry for him and I think White was out of line. Just to defend myself In advance, yes i do care about mental health and take awareness and sensitivity of these things very seriously. But it shouldn't be the point. What he said in the message is not the point.

Did anyone actually hear what Joey said about a few of the players? I agree, it probably wasn't necessary, and Joey was probably trying to save some face, but he hardly said anything bad at all about anyone. He probably had a point or two in regards to a couple of them. And he always made sure that he balanced this criticism with taking ultimate responsibilty for the decline of the team.

Reply #804240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" If you think it was some one odd incident and not more of a general vibe, you're being very naive"

If you think this is an isolated incident and that the players themselves hadn't said and done some very ordinary things in private, you’re also naive. Crucifying Joey because White decided to post ONE comment is idiotic.

Reply #804249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can make excuses either way for both sides.

This was set in motion the moment Randle was recruited by the front office not the coach.

Reply #804253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the message to Wright is 'pick your assistants a little more closely'.
Just like dubious player selections, he also can't pick coaches.

Reply #804258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would your criteria be?

You'd think KB is perfectly suited to the role as AC just looking at his background?

I assume the other guy Darren was not paid a whole lot but I seem to remember him doing his time there previously as the 3rd AC, doing something with Norwood and some pretty successful U20 state sides.

I'd hope they decide the PD for such roles like for the HC, advertise them and see who is out there.

Reply #804259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My critereia would be pretty simple - loyalty.

Reply #804260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id expand on the above a bit more

Joey was able to recruit from a restricted pool. Its not like he had a huge bucket of money to go and recruit AC's that he wanted , rather he chose the AC's based on what was affordable.

The reason those AC's were affordable has become evident.

Reply #804263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Golley had previously worked as an unpaid assistant to get some experience for his aspirations. With Tracey gone there was a spot and at the time he and Joey got along. Apparently there had been some small tensions with KB, but being local and his experience, as said above no-one comparable was going to relocate here for the money.

Reply #804270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey should run an online seminar for how to play the victim. Guys a professional at it.

Reply #804278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got to the stage where during blow out losses, I started to instinctively think of how Joey would make excuses and deflect in the presser after the games. He was so full of self importance.

Reply #804279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you point to a single quote where he defended himself ?

Reply #804281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Joey should run an online seminar for how to play the victim. Guys a professional at it.

Joey needs to enrol in an anger management course so he could do a contra deal.

Reply #804282 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wright has said in a couple of pressers that I have seen that the losses are 'on him'.

Before this outburst from him, he has not singled people out for blame, he may have said certain players are playing selfish, but thats it.

Reply #804283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you listen to the podcast with Rucker Wright says numerous times that the failures of last season are all his fault. He takes full responsibility for not getting success. Pretty much the exact opposite of playing the victim as suggested above.

Reply #804296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Easy to say in public. A chat group message may indicate otherwise.

Reply #804307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A char group message with zero other context doesn't prove anything

Reply #804309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we still talking about this?

A guy makes a throwaway comment (I assume would need to see context) about hoping some guys off themselves. I hear this type of throwaway line almost every week in workplaces I work in. "I hope he goes jumps in the lake, that guy is an oxygen thief, I hope he goes necks himself etc." It is not appropriate and not intended to be take literally or for the party it is about see it. I am a white collar worker worked for major national corporations and Government. Let's move on people ya all oxygen thiefs.

Reply #804317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is interviewing for his next job. In no way did he feel responsible. He always blamed the players, hence his mind games he tried to constantly play lol

Reply #804319 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

"Wright also said he believed the 2019/20 Adelaide 36ers side did not have "the skillsets to win a championships or the desire" to win one."
He also said "“I trusted someone who had never been around high level sport.”
Wright said he won't coach in the NBL again. “My days in the NBL are done,” he said." Whoever was the "other Asst Coach with him?

Reply #804323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754