+
Years ago

Viability of catching up junior games

So if everything stays cancelled to whenever it is safe (and nobody really has any idea it all depends on the country being healthy enough and risk free) - is it worth cramming catch up tournaments, seasons ? Or just saying this is all done and all going well we will start in xx amount of time ? i.e. many programs have not had the correct build up to tournaments / seasons / championships but the business needs no doubt would be there.

Topic #47183 | Report this topic

Alex  
Years ago

I cancelled my membership yesterday because there's so much uncertainty what’s going to happen.

They really need to realise the dates out first because then we actually know if there’s a season or not?

I can’t believe some NBL clubs are selling their memberships using rollover plans. Teams have to stop thinking about money and think about their community and wait till further notice.

Reply #804294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people selling memberships have jobs like all of us and they are probably trying to keep theirs by selling memberships.

Reply #804297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Teams have to stop thinking about money"

They are a business like everyone else.

Reply #804299 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

some events are still TBA like U14 club champs - but some selection tournaments have been cancelled - wondering how they would select teams if it goes ahead in October ?

Reply #804300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP talking local juniors rather than NBL.

Reply #804301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been raised, but it has to happen...basketball Australia MUST change the junior age groups across the nation... 9s 11s 13s 15s 17s & 19s. And leave it like that for good.
Players currently in top age 18s are being grossly disadvantaged by missing out on their final season of junior basketball...not to mention all the tournaments being cancelled because of the virus.
It also stops the ridiculous scenario where a player born late in the year is finished junior basketball at 16 years of age, especially in a sport where 99% of the emphasis is on height/size.

Reply #804302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they miss a few tournaments, hardly the end of the world. I'd be more worried about schooling for Year 12 students than about final years of junior basketball eligibility.

Reply #804304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, didn't realise it was a yr12 forum

Reply #804308 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How do they finish juniors at 16 when U18s and U23s exist?

Reply #804311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 23s is a comp no one cares about. Glorified social. Better off moving back to Under 20s on a Friday night. Meant to be a junior comp but clubs treat it like a senior comp. That's not the clubs fault, there is some inherent flaws in the structure of the comp that make it that way.

If you turn 17 this calendar year you are in your last year of juniors as you can't play Under 18s this coming summer season. Hence there are 16 year olds missing their final junior season with this break.

Reply #804313 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

"Hence there are 16 year olds missing their final junior season with this break." Is there a point? So what if they miss it? It's not a life or death thing here.

Reply #804320 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Push back winter season and depending on when it starts play into the New Year if required. Can still have State Champs for this age group, it might cost next years summer comp but that's treated as a preseason for winter anyway.

Reply #804321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes agreed...a 5 year jump from 18s to 23s is brainless....& lazy from the people entrusted to run to the game.
Ideally & fairly it should be the age you are at the start of each season, NOT your year of birth.
Have a uniform starting date for summer & winter leagues across the country.
Easy example... if you are 15 at the start of a nominated season...you play U/16s. If you are 16 at the start of a nominated season...you play U/18s.
Otherwise we continue to have kids born in Jan 04 playing against kids born in Dec 06...almost a 2 yr advantage in height, size, speed, weight, maturity & reaction time...which isn't only unfair, it’s dangerous.

Reply #804326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note that u16 and u18 nationals haven't been cancelled. Would be helpful if they were.

Reply #804328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The mail is if all clear by October holidays, 16s and 18s to be held simultaneously at State Basketball Centre and Dandenong respectively, with 14 Club Champs possibly pushed back to final week of school in VIC in December

Reply #804332 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Summer season was only like 12 games last year anyway, so losing that this year will be no real loss.

Reply #804340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the hassle the Pro sports are going through trying to get their competitions going, just can't see the Government letting amateur & junior sports recommence until there is a vaccine? Might be wrong, but America & Europe have been smashed by this virus...they are coming out of their Winter flu season & we are heading into ours....not sure any risk will be taken tbh

Reply #804344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait for the first juvenile fatality, then it might be taken more seriously, not treating kids as invincible. It's almost like because the elderly are most vulnerable, logic means the young are least vulnerable.

Reply #804347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the potential rescheduling of the Aust champs has a huge trickle down effect on State association as they don't know how to plan out their state and domestic comps which could potentially clash with a potentially rescheduled nationals. So everyone is sitting around waiting to BA to make a move.

BA should just cancel the 2020 u16 and 18 Nationals and give some clarity to everyone, and put a timeline on the club nationals. The club nationals are potentially more risky as there are 48 teams at the one venue. Most states would have issues with being able to qualify teams from the various state champs or leagues within a reasonable timeframe.

The comments that I am hearing from people across several states is there is a complete lack of any leadership from Basketball Australia right now.

Reply #804349 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Access to testing kits will be key to whether U16 and U18s AJCs go ahead, as it will be to unlock airline flights etc.

Reply #804354 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

If the PM says that it's safe for kids to go to school then surely it's safe for them to play basketball. ANd I haven't seen him push back on the NRL plans to start their comp.

And about the jump between junior comp and age groups. My own case study:
1) I coached a kid in the U16s, a 15 year old 5'8 guard/wing. In the U18s he was a 6'2 guard/wing. Fast forward 2 years: a 6'6 guard/wing.

2) another: U16, 5'11 forward, U18, 6'2 forward. Fast forward: still at 6'2 but doesn't play

So, kids do develop at different rates. I suppose basketball needs avenues to keep/capture the late developers?

Reply #804355 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

I thought I read U18 and U16 nationals were cancelled ?

Reply #804356 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

so if all went well and things started getting back to normal mid june - at least 6 weeks from now. Should there be a local season say from the end of June til december school holidays and fit a state champs in that period i.e. October long weekend? That is around 24 weeks.
Any national tournaments would be subject to interstate travel restrictions so they are looking very distant.

Reply #804357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morrison is not the bloke to follow, the medical experts are and the state experts are saying to wait. I'll go with them, by the way if you’re too believe the grape vine in the Shire area where Morrison kids go to school they haven’t been there since two weeks before end of term.

Reply #804360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nationals???? Haha! Yeah Righto....let's bring players in from every corner of the country, with their extended families. Let’s all cram into indoor stadiums for a week, then let’s all go home not really knowing if we are infected or not....next minute this shit is spreading like wildfire again & we are back to square one.
It ain’t happening
See y’all next year.....hopefully

Reply #804386 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Run an extended season. We won't be able to cross any borders but would expect SA to be open and back to normal hopefully so could play state champs later on and BSA should consider working with Woodville to make their carnival bigger. Can the summer season.

Reply #804397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that is right, states could reorganised their own state schedules, but most states are waiting to see what BA are going to do. As commented above state borders are going to be closed for sometime and big events are still going to be a no-no.

All basketball events/comps cant just be compressed into the July-Dec period. There are also going to be a multitude of other sports-events trying to reschedule into that period as well. so it is possible that some venues may not even be available.

If BA finally pull their finger out and cancel the u18 Nats, then they could extend the u20s next year to allow the regular teams that go to u18s to attend the u20s. ie Vic Country, Vic Metro.

In regards to scomo his family moved to Canberra at the moment, so your grapevine has correct information but a poor interpretation of what is means.

Reply #804400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA have said in their releases that decisions about league are to be made by the individual state Associations in consultation with their respective state governments and Medical experts.

The AIS guidelines describes Level A B and C - there's no way there's competitive basketball (local domestic leagues or VJBL) in Victoria in Term 2.

I think coaches and players will be able to train in limited capacity - the guidelines state that groups of 10 (including coach) can train, but it doesn't mention anything about a multi court facility - 10 players on each basket? 10 player on each court?

The travel factor is also interesting. No spectators is fine in principle, but no one is going to drive their child 90 minutes on a Friday night to sit in the car while they play.

Term 3 start at a push for the VJBL.

Reply #805008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18s, 16s in October, 5 months away seems reasonable with u14s in December.

The real problem is internationals, u 17 world. Cups, u18 Asia, u15 Oceania all this year.

Reply #805013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expected to be announced on Friday or early next week. U16 and U18 Nationals 25th Sept - 3rd October (SBC and Dandenong as venues) U14 Club Nationals 14th - 19th December (Casey)

Reply #805086 | Report this post

Sick of Vic Bias  
Years ago

When will the other governing bodies in this country stand up to the BV influenced management at Basketball Australia and demand this clear Victorian centric thinking be changed. Townsville and Warwick earnt the right to host this year's championships and if they go ahead, should still be given that right. As an interstate parent I'd much rather my child go to a state such as WA, QLD or SA at the moment who clearly have better covid measures in place than what the Victorians do given the recent cluster outbreakS. Just because you are based in the same venue as BV does not mean you need to run to them as a problem solver every damn time. Grow a pair and do what is good for the entire country, not just the state you live in.

Reply #805122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on! BA being right next to BV has caused a lot of issues. I wish I could say more.

I don't see how things change however. There has been vic bias in the governing body for decades but now it's really bad.

Reply #805124 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As an interstate parent I'd much rather my child go to a state such as WA
Good luck getting in.

Reply #805125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no venues big enough outside of vic to to hold both u18s and u16s at the same time in one week.

Reply #805126 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No venues...

WA (within 30km of each other)
Bendat Basketball Centre - 8 Courts
Warwick Stadium - 8 Courts
HBF Arena (Joondalup) - 7 Courts

The last two are a ten minute drive from each other

Reply #805127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong 15 courts.
SBC, 9 mins down the freeway.

Reply #805128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we will see u17 wc or u18 Asia this year. Maybe postponed to 2021.
The u15 Oceanias (05/06 athletes) in December are located in Papua. Probably won’t happen either and aus/nz will go directly through.
Even if they changed venue it would be difficult.

Reply #805129 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Is there any real need run to under 14 nationals,pretty close to Xmas if dates are correct, families that have struggled through financially during this may or may not be back on there feet, then a lot of these players and families will have to back up for elite competitions in mid to late January,as we all know it's a pretty expensive exercise and with seasons not starting until who knows when,sides that qualify won’t know until much later than normal,doesn’t leave much time to fundraise,as it is it would be great to get just the domestic programs up and running as a starting base,but that’s not happening any time soon especially in Victoria,if nationals do go ahead it should be held in the nominated Cities/Towns that we’re originally committed to run them.only fare and reasonable.

Reply #805144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one will get into WA to attend a championship at Warwick so the discussion/point is mute

Reply #805152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754