LV
Years ago

CG43 to the Wildcats?

*Potentially and would be a good fit according to a subtitle of a West Australian article I haven't read because it's behind a pay wall?

Topic #47218 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just when you thought the Wildcats couldn't be more despised...

Reply #805397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind him at Perth but having read the article it's nothing more than rumours.
Same article says Froling could flourish at Perth.
#bringbackangus.

Reply #805399 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Been there, done that. Please no.

Reply #805401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the author of the article is just writing a fluff piece with quotes from Redhage haha it's a load of baloney

Reply #805407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect fit personality wise.

Reply #805411 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not entirely ridiculous given he has played for the Cats prior to gaining the ego.

Norton
Goulding
Wagstaff
Froling
Majok

Is not a terrible non-import due to covid restrictions starting 5 with the likes of Swaka, Vague and Travers off the bench

Reply #805412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only be there for a year before signing in Hobart

Reply #805416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's the face of basketball in Melbourne. He’ll come to an agreement with United for a contract

Reply #805417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see a one year deal at lower salary obviously then go to Tasmania for a bigger three year deal.

Reply #805418 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Likely just Goulding's agent using Perth and all their vacant salary cap space to drive up a better offer, whatever happens I would think he would sign with the Tassie team next year anyway.

Reply #805419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Zodiac.

Reply #805422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania not guaranteed to start now though.

Reply #805429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read like an opinion piece to me.

Reply #805430 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If Perth plays Goulding like Cotton, ie build the offence around him.

Can Goulding do what Cotton does?

Reply #805446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Steindl?

Reply #805478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CG43 or Stiendl.....mmmm jokes right!

Reply #805480 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If they are desperate, Goulding 'could' do some of what Cotton does I suppose.

Goulding isn't as fast, cannot turn corners and doesn't seem to have a strong midrange like Cotton.

But he can come off picks and get his own shot off.

Goulding has range too much takes much worse shots that Cotton, I am thinking if he were go to the Perth system, would he be a decent replacement for 1 season?

The other trouble for Perth is with Martin out, this is a full new Starting 5, so those systems are lost except for Steindl and Wagstaff to preserve / teach it.

Reply #805490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to have him.

Not going to happen.

Reply #805493 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I sense we're more likely to get 2 of Jameel McKay, Derek Cooke Jr and Jaron Johnson type player... :(

Reply #805505 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think if you are a championship aspirant, you cannot have any dud imports, you could have Jameel Mackay when the other 2 were Cotton and Prather.

You need one stud (Cotton'esque, Machado/Oliver, Hopson) and one solid contributor (White, Newbill, uninjured Prather).

Even with Cotton you still cannot have 2 passengers like Tokoto and Cooke Jnr, that team got swept.

Reply #805511 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Hearing perth fans complain about players like McKay honestly hurts. Some of us would kill to see a solid player like that in our teams colours...

Reply #805542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I though McKay was solid certainly saved the cats ass in that melbourne game at the end of the season a couple of times

Reply #805619 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah, I shouldn't have put McKay in the same convo as Jaron and Cooke, I just can't get over the travel calls, first thing I think of when thinking of McKay...

Reply #805625 | Report this post

Where ever you got that from is so dumb. He in United forever.

Reply #810229 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Where ever you got that from is so dumb. He in United forever.

Hate to burst your bubble but even your own coach has conceded that he's unlikely to return to MU.
The current mail says he WILL go (back) to Tassie in 21/22, and that he's looking for a big one-year deal (probably in Europe) for next season.

The nexus of the Perth rumour is twofold.
Firstly Perth are supremely confident of the Arena being fully open by the time the season starts, and they are prepared to spend accordingly. Whereas MU is looking at the realistic prospect of starting the season behind closed doors.
Secondly, that with the temporary reduction back to 2 imports, and with Travers and Lo Buluk still developing, Perth are looking for a short-term fix, with limited options.

Reply #810289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget the tennis both for MU and the Phoenix.

Reply #810343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 the Wildcats can't spend "accordingly" as there is a league wide restriction in place. Therefore if he wants to go to Tassie in 21/22 he only gets a 1 year deal at a Max of $150k at Perth

Reply #810348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150k in the hand is $ 300k towards the salary cap.

Reply #810351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still only spending $150k regardless of the book value

Reply #810361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Book value adds to the tax at seasons end if you go over it, Perth have been very good at balancing the budgets and don't like paying tax for over spend, though Goulding could become the marquee if Kay doesn’t return.

Reply #810368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see Goulding jumping to Perth for 1 season and then head to Tassie. He'd already be on $150 at United so I expect he will stay

Reply #810369 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

though Goulding could become the marquee if Kay doesn't return.
There are two marquee spots this year, assuming a team uses both imports.

Reply #810372 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Why would Perth want Goulding when they have Cotton.

Reply #810374 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

D2.0 the Wildcats can't spend "accordingly" as there is a league wide restriction in place. Therefore if he wants to go to Tassie in 21/22 he only gets a 1 year deal at a Max of $150k at Perth

Just to clear, I have no specific info, and assume for now it's as reliable as any other hoops humour. Not is it a rumour I find particularly appealing one way or another, I 'm simply explaining the mechanics.

Yes, Perth face the face the same restrictions as anyone else, although keep in mind (as others have said above) your top two locals are treated as marquees, so its only $X towards the cap regardless.

But my point is only that Perth may feel more confident committing to their budget (however much that may be) whereas MU seem (understandably) reticent.

To the best of my understanding, the mail is that CG is looking for a European deal. MU may be reluctant to offer big dollars, for a one year deal, in what may be a hampered season?

Ordinarily I would be very confident that Perth wouldn't be interested, but given the unusual circumstances, who can say.

Why would Perth want Goulding when they have Cotton

Good Question.
If Martin retires, has a delayed start, or gets injured, and we have not found a decent local PG, then Cotton will run the point when Norton is off.
If Kay leaves, as seems more likely, (and we don't find a local marquee somewhere) then our 2nd import will be a PF. That will leave us starting Steindl at the 3, with Lo Buluk as his backup.

Of course the corollary to that, is that Perth may want to wait until the fates of Marin, Cotton, and Kay are known.

Reply #810390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754