Isaac
Years ago

Anstey on Longley and The Last Dance

Chris Anstey has written on Facebook about Luc Longley and a small mention regarding The Last Dance. Worth a read.

Full piece

Topic #47225 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Have read multiple articles by him now, love all of them. Has he ever released a book of his career, in particular his time in the NBA??

Reply #805638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a great guy who seems to be more than happy to share his story.

Wish more of our top-level guys were like that.

Reply #805639 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's an excellent commentator during games too, not a great voice as such but very informative.

Reply #805640 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

A real good read. Thanks Isaac, from one who doesn't have Facebook!

Reply #805642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a sixers fan, I used to hate Anstey so much. I remember when he made the NBA and I was so angry and filled with envy. I thought to myself "wait until he has to guard Shaq", then it happened and he didn't last long, got a nasty cutty-wut on his head from Shaq, and needed a boatload of gauze on the sidelines. And I felt better. It didn’t reflect well on my, but it’s true, and there is nothing I can do about it now.

Reply #805643 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thats very nice of Luc to reach out to other Aussies starting out in that cutthroat industry.

Reply #805653 | Report this post

synchro  
Years ago

Thanks for sharing this Isaac - I'm another non-facebook user. Increases my respect for both Anstee and Longley even more.

Reply #805654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great stuff, two champions.

Reply #805657 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Great read

Agreed, Ansteys voice is annoyingly husky but I always appreciate the substance of what he says.

Would be a good panelist on an NBL pregame or postgame show.

Reply #805673 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Great piece, many thanks for sharing.

Reply #805692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is a really great guy. Was completely unmarketable as a franchise player, so was easy for opposition fans to dislike him, but bloody hell has he shown he is much more than a frowning basketball player. Luc Longley is a brilliant person, loved the read.

Reply #805694 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chris Anstey was involved in a sportswear company who sold custom made basketball uniforms.

This was around the time of his stint with the Tigers.

I had this vague memory of emailing him and he offered to meet me personally and show me some designs etc.

So after reading that Facebook post, I was reminded about this and I searched through my old email account.

Sure enough, an email from Chris Anstey on 1 September 2006.

Turns out my teammates had other ideas for our team's uniforms, so I didn't end up meeting Chris.

At the time I was regularly interviewing players and helping run the Tigers website so that may have helped. But still, a really kind offer. Anstey strikes me as a really honest, down to earth guy. Everyone hated him cos he played for McPeake and had a bit of attitude on the court sometimes, but a good guy as my story shows.

Reply #805698 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We opposition fans wouldn't have hated him as much if he kept his elbows down.

Reply #805699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah perthworld, you wouldn't have minded if he was on YOUR team. The best are always the ones you hate the most.

Reply #805700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People didn't like him for the Anstey families genetic predisposition to throw their elbows around.

Reply #805701 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nah perthworld, you wouldn't have minded if he was on YOUR team. The best are always the ones you hate the most.

Nah. In addition to the elbows he was also a flopper, and that's something we just don't stand for here in Perth.

Reply #805712 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha the humour is strong Luuuc

Reply #805713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm actually surprised about how well he writes!

Reply #805714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sucked as a head coach but maybe he would be way better suited to an assistant role, wonder if he would move here.

Reply #805715 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

People didn't like him for the Anstey families genetic predisposition to throw their elbows around.

Haha yeah, it cost the nation gold last year.

Reply #805717 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That 2014-15 United squad was full of egos. Wouldn't surprise me if Anstey lost that group early. The chilled approach of D-Mac was probably a better fit.

I thought Anstey's work coaching the Tigers in 12-13 and 13-14 was very decent.

Reply #805718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a Facebook user either but a colleague at the office shared it with me. Doesn't do much to reveal Longley's attitude to Last Dance and its content but there might've been some hints/guesses from Anstey, and plus it revealed a lot about Longley's character.

It's nice seeing giant Luc out there with the Boomers these days. Feels appropriate that one of the pioneers for the country in the NBA is still so heavily involved.

Reply #805720 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It was nice, though he has now stepped away from that Boomers role unfortunately.

Reply #805722 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's a shame the public got wind of the fact they accepted the daily allowance to be Boomers even though they were making millions in the NBA. That should have been kept in house. Hope it doesn't deter other NBA guys playing for us.

Reply #805818 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

People sook about everything.

Guy plays for Australia, why wouldn't he be allowed to take the stipend like other players? What's the plan, look into everyone's finances to decide who deserves it on some arbitrary criteria?

Guys who put their time and effort into playing for Australia deserve props. I don't think we will ever see a Bogut - Mills - Delly - Baynes - Ingles situation again where they try to play every reasonable Boomers game that they can. Absolute respect for these blokes' commitment to the green and gold.

Reply #805831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never bothered watching because I thought it would be a puff piece and Horace Grant has said as much now, co produced by one of Jordans companies. Jordan was for Jordan and nothings changed.

Reply #806077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754