Zodiac
Years ago

Andrew Bogut puts re-signing on hold

Andrew Bogut has announced he has decided not to re-sign with the Sydney Kings or any of his NBL rivals.

The 35-year-old released a lengthy statement on Monday to reveal he won't be signing any contracts any time soon as a result of the deep uncertainty across the global basketball industry in recent months.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-sydney-kings-contract-for-nbl-2020-season-news/news-story/276bf0ad17b69dfe393a1bad8a7b3548

(Mod: Edited title.)

Topic #47248 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting, kings will have a totally different look about them if all those who are looking elsewhere do leave.

You would think they need an import 1 and 5 now.

Reply #806387 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That reads like a holding pattern doesn't it?

Doesn't seem like much to read into, waiting to see what happens until closer to the NBL season before making a decision.

Reply #806390 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Money probably isn't the #1 driver, so it's probably the love of the game plus winning one in the NBL that are the motivators and seeing if the body allows.

Once could suggest he has already climbed the highest mountain by winning at GSW so he doesn't have anything more to prove.

If I was Bogut I would not bother unless the Kings bring in some top flight talent like a Ingles, Broekoff or Delly, plus bring back Cooks and get me Tate plus an import that gets paid more than Bryce Cotton and shoots better than 1-17 in the playoffs.

Reply #806394 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If the NBL returns with crowds etc, and his body recovers well during this break I could see him returning to the Kings

Reply #806395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker wants:
Bogut
Tate
Cooks
Ingles
Cotton

In addition to the existing contracted players, who include Lisch and Newley I presume?

Yep, Hawks are the problem.

Reply #806396 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Oh wow that would be a remarkable lineup

Reply #806397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent wasn't the issue at Sydney last season, it was lack of heart.

Reply #806398 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Assuming it goes ahead next year, Bogut wants an Olympic Medal. Need's to plan on getting his body right for that.
I think last season was IT for the NBL. Rightly or wrongly, he should have won with Sydney. Flakey coaching let him down.

Would love to have seen what Neilsen could have done with Sydney.

Reply #806402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper ware quite obviously carrying an injury, sick or otherwise not right in the GF. Nobody's game goes backwards that much without a good reason.

Reply #806403 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was he also injured for the entire regular season except the games against Melbourne?

Reply #806406 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No. Ware was physically fine, his flopping game was still elite, when he hit stationary screens he flew like he got hit by a Linebacker.

Reply #806407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 is the perfect example of flog

Reply #806411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cook and Tate were not much better than Ware in the GF, Kay killed them at both ends. Lack of coaching adjustments didn't help either.

Reply #806413 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

To be honest had enough of Bogut, yep he is talented but all this all about me is tiring.

Reckon he would not have played anyway, this has given him the space to be able step back make the decision and once again make it about him.

Reply #806415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#407 stationary is not the only requirement for a legal screen smh

Reply #806429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point is, Ware's reactions to being screened was not proportionate to the "contact" he received.

Reply #806433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he doesn't see Plumlee for example and the contact isn’t down the middle of the torso but on Ware’s side the reaction is perfectly fair as physics would suggest the player will spin. Just saying! Smh

Reply #806435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its ironic this announcement comes on the same day Cotton has committed to remaining in the league. Cotton continuously torched him because he couldn't defend him outside of the key. I guess he doesn't want to be embarrassed again. Just sayin

Reply #806437 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Lol so true! I still wouldn't mind seeing him coming off the bench for next years Olympics team. He would still be a valuable asset if his body holds up.

Reply #806438 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see what team the Kings put out this season without Ware, Bogut & Cooks.

Reply #806443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware, Bogut and cook could be back though but hopefully Weaver got a point guard and five man willing to play at base import wages and younger as well. Taylor finished the season very well and could be an option, still not convinced on cook either being that big a loss, certainly not compared to the loss of Kay at Perth.

Reply #806446 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If Ware is going to put up those playoff numbers, please let him go back to Sydney.

Reply #806449 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I see the Olympics as the only thing driving Bogut at the moment. And that's why the consideration of his body, and declaration that this is not retirement.

I couldn't blame him for taking some time off. He actually overdid it last year with the NBL season, then NBA stint, then world cup, to follow that immediately with the NBL. I mean that was a 34 year old man with a battle-weary frame.

I think he has it in him to give the Olympics one last push, and I'd like to see him on that team. We still don't have a better option than him in the back up big spot.

Reply #806501 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You wouldn't pick him if he sits out this season though. I think now he's likely turned his back on the NBL he will be hoping for an NBA contract before retiring at the Olympics next year.

Reply #806504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality sportsman his age can't just come back in, injuries will haunt him. I understand the time off but he’s got keep doing quality exercise programs or it’s over.

Reply #806511 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

You wouldn't pick him if he sits out this season though.

Umm, yeah, if he was relatively healthy and able to get through the warm-up games, you would. Competitive leader, who despite his mouth, would give his all for Australia.
I think now he's likely turned his back on the NBL he will be hoping for an NBA contract

So you think a guy whose body couldn't hack an NBL season, wants to return to the pace of the NBA?

Reply #806537 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Umm, yeah, if he was relatively healthy and able to get through the warm-up games, you would.

The team gets picked before any warm up games happen and if he doesn't play anywhere this season I wouldn't pick a then 36 year old centre who looked like he was out on his feet the previous season.

So you think a guy whose body couldn't hack an NBL season, wants to return to the pace of the NBA?

Where he would sit on the end of the bench not playing thus no risk of getting injured prior to the Olympics whilst still getting paid more money than he could get anywhere else, yes I think he would like that very much.

Reply #806542 | Report this post

Cats4eva  
Years ago

Bogut to announce soon he is playing for the Pheonix.

Reply #807601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selling his home in Sydney.

Reply #807602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does hi sell his ownership of the kings

Reply #807604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the new big 3 Bogut Creek Roberson?

Reply #807605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old man Bogut.

Reply #807606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I saw recently that's he's open to joining a contender in NBA next year in final months like he did last year. Can see him doing that and resting body having NBL off, pay would be similar for mainly sitting on bench.

Reply #807608 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

House in Sydney is on the market.

Reply #807611 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Link to listing?

Reply #807614 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #807615 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Chances of Bogut playing the Olympics are significantly greater than him playing in the NBA.

Reply #807622 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Bogut got paid a lot of money to win championships for Sydney.
He came close.
Had he succeeded, it would have been a fitting cap to his great pro-career.

Does he really want to take a massive pay-cut, to struggle through a season, with a team unlikely to win

Reply #807623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it seems extremely stupid to assume that salary would be one of his main considerations for if & where to play NBL

Reply #807624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do people no that's Boguts house ? Sounds like BS to me.

Reply #807625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading the article is bound to help in knowing if it's boguts house

Reply #807628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So you think a guy whose body couldn't hack an NBL season, wants to return to the pace of the NBA?"

The issue wasn't 'hacking an NBL season' it was that he played an NBL season, into an NBA playoff run, into a World Cup campaign into an NBL season. That was too much for his body.

Reply #807635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why oh why do people crap on about Bogut returning to the NBA.

Reply #807636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing the South East Melbourne are going to get him

Reply #807644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut losing to arguably the greatest team dynasty in Australian sports is no shame

Reply #807645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a Melbourne boy after all and I guess he may back in Nonga. Stranger things have happened that's for sure.

Reply #807646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I call bulldust #807644

Reply #807654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754