Anonyhawk
Years ago

Flinn is back! Plus a Director of Coaching

As per the article in the Illawarra Mercury today.
The i's look dotted & the t's crossed.

Welcome to the Lavalle-Ball era.
Welcome back Flinny.
Welcome to a new coaching director...

But who may that be?

Back to Jermaine Jackson's 'done deal' interview quotes (& to paraphrase) "a coach that's won championships at every level imaginable!"

So any guesses?

Topic #47250 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy as Larry, hows that a clue.

Reply #806416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman can coach?

Reply #806417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex nba coach if it's every level, interesting.

Reply #806419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Krystkowiak?

Reply #806421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uh oh, don't tell Lovebroker...

Reply #806422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Brown, if he's not too old to fly

Reply #806423 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What is a coaching director? What article are we talking about and what does it actually say?

Reply #806425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL I have these Hoops posters with no world perspective whatsoever on the game.

Krystkowiak has arond 4 yrs to run on his 6mill AUD per year contract. Unless some booster wants him out he aint going anywhere.

Reply #806426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I love these Hoops posters that think making a guess about possible coaches named Larry think that means they actually give a fuck about his current situation. But good for you for being able to use Wikipedia.

Reply #806427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6768685/hawks-nbl-deal-imminent-with-flinn-to-be-welcomed-back/?cs=302

The article.

If Julian has published, he's like a genie, it'll come true!

Reply #806428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Covers every area of coaching experience.

Reply #806430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Kobe doesn't know something.

Reply #806431 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Am I supposed to be offended by that?

The entire reason I have this reputation of always being right is because I admit when I don't know things instead of running off at the mouth.

Reply #806432 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

While I am glad the NBL remains with 9 teams.

I remain skeptical that this won't change much and is just delaying the ievitable.

The Illawarra community have shown, whether winning and exciting or losing and bland, they will not support this club in numbers sufficient for it to be financially sustainable.

What will change?

Flinn is horrible, unless this new mystery man comes in and Flinn is a temporary puppet like the Danian Cotter / Joe Conelley scenario, then the coaching is going to remain horrible.

The 2 positives I see in the up coming season is :

a) The Balls may have good contacts and be able to find some talent that would want to play.

b) The NBL have hamstrung the top tier of the league and brought everyone down to the Illawarra / Cairns level next season that the field is quite level. This is like putting another 20 kgs on Makabe Diva, SubZero and Phar Lap so that the the three-legged Mule gets a fair crack.

Reply #806434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaching director is a BIG NAME with a proven track record of turning franchises around.

At least one famous NBA player claims him to be the best coach ever!

Reply #806436 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Post article plz

Reply #806441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, the only "reputation" you have is being an insufferable dickhead with no life outside a basketball forum.

Reply #806447 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sure, but the reason I'm insufferable is because I'm right all the time.

Reply #806448 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well said Koberulz!

I really hope that Flinny doesn't return, he was as impressive as Hobson and he was the worst import in NBL history (yes worse than Christophersson and that tiny import for the Hawks a few years back that didn't get court time)

I wish the Hawks and any new owners all the luck in the world as they need to get the community on board, it's simple as that.

Reply #806454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second that re: Hobson

Uuuuuuuuuurgh.

Reply #806461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly was looking like a shit coach in his first season, worked out good in the end. Flinn deserves a second season.

Reply #806462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #806465 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

If Flinn looked terrible in his first season, why does he "deserve" a second?

Reply #806478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't.

Reply #806481 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed. Difference being Kelley is an up and coming coach whereas Flinn was just a warm body to be put into a vacant role for cheap.

Reply #806483 | Report this post

Scrote  
Years ago

Hawks coach to be under extreme pressure. Failure could see him hung by the Balls.

Reply #806489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinn is a good assistant coach but not a NBL level head coach. And that's OK as long as he goes back to being an assistant.

Reply #806530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's going to have a very experienced coach over seeing him and new assistants, he deserves another year.

Reply #806533 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I couldn't read the whole article, but the intro didn't make much sense. It talked about "NBL ownership involving LaMelo." Seems to me it would be one or the other?

Reply #806539 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fucking co-ownership, how does that work?

Reply #806548 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

he was as impressive as Hobson and he was the worst import in NBL history (yes worse than Christophersson and that tiny import for the Hawks a few years back that didn't get court time)

I think Billy Preston was worse than Hobson, but Billy had the decency to stop taking money from the Hawks.

Reply #806551 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Gold! Lovebroker : )

Reply #806553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinn will do well.
Hearing new management will spend appropriately for 2 gun imports. 1-2 Cotton style is the top of the shopping list of course.
Plus WORLD CLASS coaching director/mentor, plus new assistants.

Throw in Glover & Dech.
Grida will be offered a multi year.
Froling, AJ & Coenraad.

That's a good core + 2 more.
Unsure on the mail on Blanchfield & Naar, but if they've both shopped & come up empty, I presume they're both back. So there's only 1 spot left for an injury replacement for Grida.

Reply #806554 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

David Andersen?

He's clearly done but a good trooper I've always had a lot of respect for him not just for what he's achieved in Europe and playing in the NBA but throughout his career he always put his hand up for the Boomers unlike some.

If the Hawks don't want to bring him back I would love to see him at the Sixers.

Reply #806555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ando isn't retiring, but didn't want to play for bottom dollar, so is looking South &/or East for a last dance.

Reply #806572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson is coming to Adelaide to play for South or Eastern! My guess is South but Petty will still fuck it up.

Reply #806573 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

I can't believe my luck finding Hoops.com.au is still thriving!! I think the last time I posted here the "little" Foreman was still wearing Double Blue!
So, 1) I can't believe anyone actually subscribed to the Mercury to be able to read this article, but 2) is the Ball deal actually done and dusted??
Are they giving a discount of he takes the WEC? Slip him a bag of cash to redevelop the place.

Reply #806580 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yes Lovebroker, Billy just fouled a lot or smiled on the bench, Let's just say about Hobson; in a league with Hodgson and Hopson and himself he was by far the least impressive and this guy was starting yet did he end up with more assists than points.

I really don't remember him even having a breakout game.

For those with the rationale that Flinn deserves a second season because he must be better, I sure hope that mindset doesn't extend to Darington too.

Reply #806597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any word on when the deal is going to be confirmed.

Reply #806776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball would be the minor player at present with Lavalle the main share holder with around 60 plus %. Any day should be announced by nbl.

Reply #806786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Melo has a very rich uncle called Lavalle, I think 786 is talking about Lavar. Problem is whilst having a couple of million personally, he is nowhere near rich enough to be an owner, even a minor one. And the entertainment value may be high, but I doubt the league would want him carrying on, would make Cuban look like a choir boy.

Reply #806790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tory Lavalle you idiot, he's a local businessman that employs a few hundred locals, owns other local teams in the area.

Reply #806792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahah ^^^ did have a good laugh at the bloke who thought it was misspelt for lavar haha

Reply #806796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I hope that is indeed the original J Bags. Last spotted on Hoops 12 years ago!

Reply #806800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, ok, my fuckup, just saw Lavalle and assumed it was auto correct from Lavar. To be honest haven't been tracking investors in the Hawks apart from Ball announcement ages ago.
Thank god Koberulz didn't pick it up first.

Reply #806806 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's okay as most on here don't seem to follow (or comprehend) NBL news properly anyway.

Reply #806819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard it was going to be 50/50.

Reply #806829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

70/30 to start, brother wants in later.

Reply #806867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Larry Kestelman on SEN during interview saying that absolutely close and confident of finding new owners.

Reply #806940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra mercury way way off,

Reply #807135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New ownership, New Head Coach

Reply #807136 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Isaac, it is.
Is anyone surprised the Mercury was way off on their reporting?
As great as the local support for the Hawks is, the local business people can't keep propping our teams up. It's got to be a deep pocketed outsider who takes the team and brings some fresh ideas.

Reply #807137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavel has deep, deep pockets. He's local and knows the area. If he doesn’t get the license hawks are finished, certainly if it goes to out of Towner.

Reply #807138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Lavelle the dude who has no care for the environment and was found guilty of overfishing?

Sounds like a good fit for the league....

Reply #807142 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

I know who he is and know he has the coin to keep it afloat, but what I'm saying is that locals have propped things up in The Gong for far to long. Time for some fresher perspectives and with an attitude like "If he doesn't get the license hawks are finished, certainly if it goes to out of Towner" then it's probably best if they are wound up.
You'd only be more insular if you wrapped yourself in a sleeping bag.

Reply #807143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the way it is, you don’t have to agree with it. Hawks got a loyal basketball community but the stadium is ok but so hard to get to and no parking. A local owner in the community will resonate with locals and lavel the best option.

Reply #807145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think ownership needs to be from here, I think it more needs to be a bigger vision to expand the appeal of the brand outside Wollongong, take AFL with GWS moving into Canberra, Hawthorn moving into Tasmania, even in the NRL with the likes of Melbourne Storm taking an active interest in the Sunshine coast
Why not have an ongoing relationship with a Newcastle or Canberra to increase sponsorship opportunities, TV market is where it is

Reply #807146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have not heard much about Brian Goorjian lately, is he still in China? The new owner should make him number one target.

Kings finished no better than 5th for the 10 years prior to his arrival in Sydney, then he took them to 5 grandfinals in 6 season, need someone with that passion and track record, Flinn seems like a nice guy, but were know where nice guys finish !!

Reply #807147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new owner would also have to throw big dollars at other players and coaches while only getting a maximum of 5,000 fans to a game. Its not feasible.

Throwing Goorj into the mix won't magically solve all their problems.

Reply #807148 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

OMG - Brian Goorjian! Seriously!? Post against an actual name so I can mock you openly!!
Also, the reason to get externals to owners is that you can use "player sponsorship" provided by the local businesses as a way of attracting the bigger names down here. Salary cap generally limits who will play where. It's always the perks that reel them in.

Reply #807150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Ball name will be rather huge, clubs with a bit here and a bit there don't work, just look at the st George- Illawarra dragons. You are not the old owner trying to have a whinge are you.

Reply #807151 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

lol!! No - Type J Bags into the "search the forum" box below.

Reply #807155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjians track record as well is clubs going broke. Hang on, maybe this is a parallel universe and he comes in after a club has gone broke.

Reply #807159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he's sent so many clubs in china broke...smh

Reply #807161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A squillion more dollars in the CBA than there will ever be in the NBL. But thanks for playing in #161

Reply #807165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure Ball ownership will live up to the hype , any one hear of the Junior Basketball Association (JBA), in association with Big Baller brand.
That aside, is an 18 year old going to be committed long term and really invest personally, or loss interest when the next thing comes around,

Reply #807167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there is a squillion more dollars in China and they are U$ too. No reason to return. I reckon the next time Goorj will be back in Oz for any length of time is to retire.

Reply #807172 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Anon - #167 "committed long term" ----- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! and also, hahahahahahaha!!!!
Just like how may of the past hawks owners? Has it been 3 or 4 in the past 10 years???
I say throw the keys over and give the kid a go!
I mean Melo himself won't have anything to do with the operations, except for marketing purposes, because he'll be busy running PG at the Warriors, making bank with endorsements and social media to worry about it. Plus, it's likely holding a loss making entity won't bother him too much. But I'm sure he won't want his reputation damaged, so he'll bring in some top caliber guys.
It's also got nothing to do with JBA, which was LeVars mess. That and it was a farce from day 1, given the NCAA were rubbishing it straight up and BBB was overreaching. However, the JBA idea could give the Hawks & the league a new Next Stars launching pad, similar to what the JBA was designed to do.

I'm so glad I committed to reusable bags after all this time. I'm so good for the environment.

Reply #807211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh boy you've been in the wind blowing around to long. Have a nice cup tea and settle down. ^^^^^^

Reply #807219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there actually a deal done or we waiting for nothing.

Reply #807249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if a deal was close we would be hearing more from the NBL , they could do with a shot of positive publicity

Reply #807444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for the moron's who swallowed the Ball ownership rubbish

Reply #808461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball and Lavar want the hawks out Illawarra, not floating nsw country team. Nbl played both sides coin. Hawks fans had better turn up or there not having a team.

Reply #808498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754