Years ago

All Time Sixers Starting Five by Fans

https://twitter.com/Adelaide36ers/status/1267248099656794112

Mee
Maher
Rose
Davis
Johnson

I like DJ, but having him as an all time Sixer's centre is a mistake. His name does not belong anywhere near those. His one year as a club Captain confirms this.

Bradtke ...Daylight.....DJ.

All the others I agree with.

Al Green would be very close behind Maher and Cat behind Davis.

Topic #47267 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grace
Cotton
Redhage
Vlahov
Dunigan

Reply #807247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of total career, Bradtke overwhelmingly, but would have to have Bill Jones in close second place for purely 36ers career. Then DJ.
If Davis hadn't done the dirty on him perhaps Bradtke could have spent most of his career here instead of bolting to Melbourne.

Reply #807259 | Report this post

Smac76  
Years ago

How did Davis do the dirty on him?

Reply #807262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In late 2015 when The Advertiser polled fans on an All-Time Team, the results were (1st team through third and reserves):

Mee/Green/Smyth/Randle
Maher/Pearce/Farley/McKay
Rose/Cattalini/Ali/Nelson
Davis/Brooks/Ballinger/Petrie
Bradtke/Jones/Rees/Johnson

Solid polling non-first-teamers were Green, Cattalini, Jones, Rees.

DJ's obviously added a few years of service since. Not sure Randle's extra time would move him past any of Mee, Green or Smyth!

Reply #807263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor old Bradtke had a sliding doors moment when he came home early.

Reply #807264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers site had Scott Ninnis, Brett Maher and writer Chris Pike list their teams:

Ninnis:
Mee/Green
Maher/Pearce
Cattalini/Rose
Brooks/Johnson
Davis/Jones

Maher:
Green/Mee
Maher/Pearce
Cattalini/McKay
Davis/Brooks
Johnson/Jones

Pike:
Mee/Green
Maher/Pearce
Cattalini/Farley
Davis/Brooks
Johnson/Rees

Interesting to see the picks from Ninnis and Maher in particular.

Reply #807265 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I would have:

Green
Maher
Rose
Davis
Bradtke

Reply #807266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have a short memory. Bradtke at the Sixers was less than impressive. Didn't find his feet until he went to Tigers. Johnson's years of service, Club MVPs etc while a Sixer should take precedence.

Reply #807268 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Green
Maher
Rose
Davis
Johnson

Not sure how anyone could seriously pick Bradtke over DJ and I'm not a big DJ fan either. Bradtke what 4 years service to DJ's 10 years? Was Bradtke a better player? Absolutely but was a young pup at the Sixers, didn't play long enough and played his best ball at the Tigers.

Reply #807270 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Someone posted a video on the Facebook thread that showed some nice highlights of Davis dominating and also Butch Hays, who I had almost forgotten about! I don't think he played long enough, but those highlights reminded me of what a great player he was at the time too.

As others have said above, Bradtke the better player over his career, but unfortunately he spent most of it in Melbourne! Likewise Bill Jones not here long enough. So DJ for me, because he's been an elite player for us for so many years.

Centre would be the Sixers weakest position really, but a Davis DJ combo would still be a pretty good one. Imagine if the Sixers had managed to find a dominant rebounder like Davis to put next DJ the last few years?

Reply #807272 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Shame I only remember Butch at the tail end of his career but having his socks up that high, I just knew he could play.

Interesting the reaction to Robert Rose, he was exceptional whilst a 36er but surely he killed them more than helped them, same with Bradtke.

My memory must be getting bad but I have always thought of Brooks as a 3 man but he's a 4 in every team, I must be wrong on that one.

I would absolutely love to see the greatest opponents vs 36ers team (who was in beast mode)... would Hammer, Bubbles, Wortho and Redhage make the team and prove why they were given such a reception in Adelaide?

Reply #807273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradtke was already NBA level starts the 36ers. His last game as a Sixer as dominant display as anyone to ever put the uniform on

Reply #807275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Bradtke had 43 points and 25 rebounds in his last game for Adelaide.

Reply #807276 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

One more club MVP from DJ and he ties with Maher on 6.

Reply #807280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rees is overlooked but the most successful centre the 36ers have had

Reply #807281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all club MVPs are created equal. Maher's club MVP seasons in more meaningful years for the club and with more competition from team mates.

Two championship years in his club MVPs. Many of DJ's come in years the team didn't even make the play-offs.

Reply #807282 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'm not saying DJ is on the same level as Maher, but 5 club MVP's is still a fantastic effort.
2 of Mahers MVP's were in non playoff seasons, including our lowest finishing season on record.

Reply #807285 | Report this post

anthony  
Years ago

I looked it at contributions to successful teams, Bradtke unfortunately played his best basketball in Melbourne its a Sixers starting five, same with Rose SE Melbourne and others, then you have players who only played a season or two like Jones and Farley.

Rees is by far the best centre we ever had, people forget he was also a boomer during his playing career and contributed to 3 championships in 5/6 seasons as a 36er, how many has Bradtke, DJ contributed pretty sure its zero and both had good teams around them.

I thought the hardest choice was between Brooks, Catalini as they switched between 3/4 spots, I selected Cattalini by a whisker as I thought he was a better 3 for us, Brooks probably the better player but played less seasons so I thought Catalini contributed from a longevity to the 36ers program.

These things are never easy.

Reply #807290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green
Maher
Cattalini
Davis
Bradtke

against any NBL 5 anywhere, anytime that 5 wins

Reply #807293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones has to be in there surely.

Reply #807296 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

"against any NBL 5 anywhere, anytime that wins"

Grace
Cotton
Fisher
Vlahov
Crawford

Do you still think so?

Reply #807298 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I would take Mee, Maher, Rose, Davis and Bradtke or DJ against that Perth team for sure!

Would be a really interesting matchup of speed vs size. Bit like all the classic matchups between these two teams back in the early 90s!

Reply #807301 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yeah both great sides and best of all no need to compare eras as most of those players played against each other

Reply #807302 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Why must people always bring Perth into any thread clearly this is a Sixers thread .

As good as DJ has been for Adelaide does him winning 5 MVP club awards more reflect on Adelaide's lack of quality imports?

That 1986 Adelaide team to me is still one of the best of all time and I'm a Perth fan.

Reply #807303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of the all-time teams would be very well-matched with each other. One interesting factor would be if playing under modern coaching, how much some adjusted to the three-heavy game. e.g., if you had Mee, Davis and Bradtke, how many threes are you shooting? I can't remember Mee having range. Davis attempted them, but I can't recall much of a strike rate.

Reply #807313 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remembered Darnell Mee being a pretty solid 3pt shooter during his Sixers days and the stats back that up:

1998 - 52/153 @ 34%

1999 - 37/142 @ 26.1%

2000 - 50/141 @ 35.5%

2001 - 82/219 @ 37.4%

It was towards the end of his career with Cairns when his 3pt shooting really fell away.

Reply #807329 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mark Davis was 245/791 @ 31% career with the 36ers (1985-2001).

Reply #807331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green would eat Grace in scoring , athleticism , desire , rebounding and defence.

Maher was a better shooter rebounder and passer than Cotton, Cotton the better defender and athlete

Cattalini is a better scorer , defender , athlete and passer than the Wildcats version of Fisher.

Davis is better than Vlahov in every facet

Bradtke is better than Crawford in every way except vertical.

Reply #807332 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes that Sixers team would beat that Perth team probably comfortably too.

Reply #807335 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^^Has somebody dumped crack in the Adelaide water supply again?

Reply #807340 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is the exact reason why you should try not to mention Perth in threads that don't involve them their rabid & retarded fans then swoop on it.

Reply #807341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Sixers' fan, and I hate seeing Perf dragged into every thread, so maybe people like Zodiac should stop posting drivel.

Reply #807343 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was a Perth fan who brought Perth into it you clown.

Reply #807345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember the 90's fondly, but the fact is that during the early to mid 90's, we did indeed play that Perf quartet of Grace, Fisher, Vlahov, and Crawford, and got our asses whipped. By the time our glory days arrived under Smyth, most of that Perf team were passed their prime.

Reply #807347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip - You know better than that mate. Yes one of the Maher's MVP years we finished 11th but that was in a 13 team comp.

In DJ's club MVP years there are two seasons when we finished dead last in the comp. Yes they were 9th and 8th placed finishes so technically they read better than Maher's 11th place finish but it's far from the reality of the situation.

Reply #807348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It was a Perth fan who brought Perth into it you clown."
No, it was a twat like you, posting stupid shit about their chosen Adelaide team beating any NBL team ever, that opened the door. Like I said if you don't want to be called out then don't post shit.

Reply #807349 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No need to get triggered by comparisons.

These are all in people's heads, nothing more.

Reply #807350 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thought I'd pull up the stats for Rose from his two years in Adelaide:

'94 22.8ppg; 7.5rpg; 4.6apg; 2.6spg; 1bpg
'95 26.8ppg; 8.1rpg; 4.3apg; 2.5spg

That is some exceptional numbers right there!

The '94 grand final is what I remember most though. Davis dislocated his shoulder in the semi against Melbourne and so we went in with a seriously undermanned team against the Giants. The team was:

Davis (absolute warrior to even play, but far from his usual self)
Blakemore
Rose
McKay
Smyth (well past his prime)

Wheeler
Svaldenis
Ninnis
Maher (3rd season only)

Giants had a way deeper team:

Rees (GF MVP that year I think)
Maley
Reidy
Johnson
D-Mac

Sengstock
Pearce
Leader
Stelzer

I'd love to see a replay of game 1 again. I went to it and the Sixers were down 17 pts at half time. But Rose played like a man possessed and dragged his team back into it. He did absolutely everything on court to try to win that game and the Sixers ended up going down by 2 after maybe one overtime? Most heroic loss I've ever seen I'd say. Rose played every single minute and so did D-Mac!

Rose's stats:

53 mins 33pts 12 reb 3 ast 6 stl

Reply #807381 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Game one was covered on NBL Rewind a few weeks back.

Reply #807384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradtke at Adelaide
88 7.4ppg 5.3rpg
89 15.0ppg 7.6rpg
90 17.4ppg 9.3rpg
91 17.8ppg 7.7rpg
92 20.1ppg 9.4rpg

While Bradtke didn't play a whole season in 92, Johnson hasn't quite been able to match those numbers.

There were a significant more teams in the League in Bradtke's years diluting the league talent

Never 3 important in Bradtke's time, but a lot more naturalised Americans.

!0 years service vs 5 years...

Reply #807385 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bradtke's stats were from the 48 min era DJ's 36ers stats are from the 40 min era and probably workout better anyway before even getting to longevity.

2010-11: 9.9ppg 4.3rpg
2011-12: 16.5ppg 7.7rpg
2012-13: 16.2ppg 8.1rpg
2013-14: 19.2ppg 6.8rpg
2014-15: 10.4ppg 5.8rpg
2015-16: 15.5ppg 9.3rpg
2016-17: 15.1ppg 7.1rpg
2017-18: 16.2ppg 6.9rpg
2018-19: 17.0ppg 6.7rpg
2019-20: 18.1ppg 8.2rpg

Reply #807388 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe, found it!

Reply #807389 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just looked up Bradtke's stats from his time at the Sixers and those stats from the anon are wrong, his actual averages:

1988: 7.5ppg 5.3rpg
1989: 15.0ppg 7.6rpg
1990: 17.4ppg 9.3rpg
1991: 17.8ppg 12.1rpg
1992: 20.1ppg 14.8rpg

Certainly look a bit better now.

Reply #807390 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Even converting Bradtke's stats to 40 min games no doubt it was impressive considering his age at the time.

A Mark Davis and Bradtke combo would dominate today's NBL.

Reply #807391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al "Peekaboo" Green

Reply #807397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Green would eat Grace in scoring , athleticism , desire , rebounding and defence.

Maher was a better shooter rebounder and passer than Cotton, Cotton the better defender and athlete

Cattalini is a better scorer , defender , athlete and passer than the Wildcats version of Fisher.

Davis is better than Vlahov in every facet

Bradtke is better than Crawford in every way except vertical"

None of this makes any sense whatsoever except perhaps if you're talking about Tigers Bradtke

Reply #807570 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this month

I just finished watching the 1994 finals game 1. What a game!!

It got me wondering what happened to Andrew Svaldenis. Anybody know?

Reply #937344 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this month

Where did you find the game Hoopie? I'd enjoy watching it again.

Reply #937353 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this month

It was on ESPN a few weeks back, sorry, which I only got round to seeing now.

Reply #937360 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this month

Grace
Cotton
Fisher
Vlahov
Crawford

Green
Maher
Cattalini
Davis
Bradtke

What about

Gaze
Copeland
Thomas
Timmons
Anstey (or Bradtke, take your pick)

If you can only assume these guys performances for that specific club, I think Tigers win the 5 on 5,eg Fisher's best was with North Melbourne, Bradtke's best with Melbourne

Reply #937368 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this month

I'm shocked no one on Hoops put out the bat signal re: 1994 GF G1 replay. Really?

Reply #937372 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this month

Svaldenis is a luxury car dealer in Sydney

Reply #937375 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754