Isaac
Years ago

'Trading Joel Embiid might be their only way out'

This is not an argument against Joel Embiid. It is an argument for reality. The Sixers cannot afford to lose themselves in the fog of prior convictions. They are at an inflection point, and it demands an honest and sober appraisal: of themselves, and of the environment in which they will be competing. After a regular season that produced a sixth-place finish and a postseason that produced zero wins, the Sixers no longer have the luxury of selling their fan base on the self-evidence of a brighter tomorrow. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Full story in the Inquirer

What would you do? Trade Embiid, trade Simmons, or keep trying to fit pieces around both? It's a great hypothetical while it lasts.

Topic #47652 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embiid and Simmons have injury issues but Brand hasn't shown he can't build a roster which is the bigger issue.

Do they trust Brand to make the trade and get the right deal that bring sback the right pieces to fit around either Simmonds of Embiid who isn't traded.

Reply #817709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One argument I saw was that while Simmons has clear deficiencies, Horford is a better complement for Simmons than for Embiid. Embiid has serious trade value whereas Horford would be difficult to move, though still with value on court.

There's likely a good case for seeing what happens under a new coach before making a move.

Reply #817710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Issac and i think the real drive is getting the right pieces back/whats left to put around the star th keep.

Who gets you back the best offer, Embid or Simmons?

Reply #817712 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If they emply D Antoni to coach & he goes small ball, it will be interesting to watch...

Reply #817715 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I reckon they'll give a new coach a season to see if a different voice can the team together with these two guys, and failing that move one. Embiid definitely has the higher trade value but needs a team willing to gut their team to acquire him. Moving Simmons would likely provide more potential trade partners.

Whatever they decide, I'm not sure Elton Brand is the man to get the job done.

Reply #817717 | Report this post

pls  
Years ago

Know anything about time travel?

Go back, Keep Hinkie, Saric, Covington - don't bring in Colangelo or his burner accounts.

Reply #817724 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah feel like you have to give the new coach some time to try and make it work. You can always do a trade at the deadline. Another problem is the constant list turnover must be hard on both guys and coaching staff.

Reply #817734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons absolutely refusing to shoot from outside would be pissing his team mates off.

Reply #817735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's why I think it'd be rash to trade him before running him under a new coach. Might be what gets him shooting. That said, if he hasn't to date despite urging by Brown, you have to wonder whether he'll ever take it on.

The other possibility is that he takes shots in practice, his percentages are low, the coaches/teammates don't think him shooting is a good idea, and Brown/etc just push that angle to get media off their back.

Reply #817737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A new coach will get him shooting?
Ahahaha ok Isaac.

Reply #817738 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I like them both, but the Simmons/Embiid combo can't win a title, each of them on their own with more shooting maybe.

The value you'd get by trading Embiid gives the 76ers the best chance of winning. A starting combo of Simmons, Horford, Harris and potentially 2 high level wings, as well as all the other versatile peices they already have gives is a nightmare to deal with on both ends.

Reply #817742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they still underperform with a new coach doesn't that diminish Phillys trade leverage further?

Also if history is anything to go by one or both have injury issues so waiting and risking a major injury hurts the leverage even further.

Reply #817749 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Philly management has proven they are incompetent by putting the wrong players around Embiid and Simmons and giving Boston Tatum and the #3 pick for Fultz! They are also capped out with $130 mill owed to just 5 players next season and the salary cap set to fall significantly.

I know they probably won't do it, but I really hope they trade Simmons. He could be part of a title run if he was on the Warriors. If he stays in Philly, he will waste many of his best years on a team going nowhere.

Philly could do worse than trade for Wiggins, this year’s #2 and unprotected draft pick(s) around 3 years from now when Curry and Thompson will be fading.

Another option might be to see if they could move Horford and Simmons for Hield and Barnes plus filler. That would clear heaps of cap space because Barnes salary is front loaded and it would instantly give them an elite shooter in Hield. If they could get a draft pick or two out of the Kings, that would really help them restock their role players too.

Kings would probably be interested because they solve the problem of needing to pay Bogdanovic when they have already paid Hield at the same position. They could also use Horford as a stop gap for a couple of years. He can set an example for Bagley and allow him to develop with less pressure. And Simmons and Fox would be a nice high octane pairing that would get people excited about the Kings again.

Reply #817764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a market for Embid when he can't stay on the floor that gets you back enough?

Elton Brand should be sacked and get a new GM & Coach as the starting point as Brand half a chance to get them back cents on the dollar.

Reply #817771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brand hasn't done anything to prove he's an NBA quality gm at this point. You'd think he gets this off season and season before he's getting moved on if nothing changes for the better, always hear that he's a great guy though from 76ers organisation so that has probably helped him a bit so far

Reply #817800 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mike D'Antoni is the favourite for the 76ers job but the roster is way too heavy with bigs so reading between the lines I think the reason the're now listening to offers for Embiid is to try and convince D'Antoni to accept the job.

Reply #817802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D'Antoni is a great regular season coach but in the playoffs with his farcical gameplan and refusal to make any adjustments will never result in a title

Reply #817809 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree don't get me wrong he's probably the most overrated coach in NBA history never even made it to the Finals once let alone won a championship but the 76ers do seem particularly enamoured with him and he was as assistant there briefly, under Brett Brown before he took the Rockets job.

Reply #817811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D'antoni w Ben and Joel! Popcorn.

Reply #817818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elton Brand's record since 2018 is terrible reading.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/brandel99x.html

If Elton Brand was a white GM he won't be getting a let off so easy by ESPN

Reply #817836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

WTF race has nothing to do with it

Plenty of shit GMs in the NBA

Reply #817841 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

its probably just the same troll anon claiming that Doc Rivers would be fired if he wasnt black.

Reply #817842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754