Just announced by the NBL

Topic #47661 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what's more cliche... starting a clothing label or a PT Business

Reply #818006 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

^ starting a vintage clothing instagram page that has a stall at a market seems to be all the rage amongst the private school kids with wealthy parents.

Reply #818008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe saw the writing on the wall with Pinder coming in.

Reply #818011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the clothing label comment was a joke. Then I read the release.

Reply #818012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't earn much as a Sixer.
Smart move.

Reply #818016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to afl ? Not many people his size out there.

Reply #818020 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Please excuse my brain-fog: Is the Obi the one who was rumoured for a while to be leaving?? Or was that somebody else and he's already gone?

Occurs to me that there might be something more to this. Stepping away to concentrate on clothing, just as your career should be developing, seems a little odd?

Reply #818021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Britain should have picked him for n.t imo. They need a backup pf.

Reply #818022 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This has been rumoured for a while.

There were people giving everyone shit on here for excluding him from the roster - turned out we were right to do so!

Reply #818026 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

All the best to Obi and his new career.

Reply #818030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The minute he started paying a photographer to take pics of himself leaving training like he was Russel Westbrook it was clear his interest lay elsehwere!

Also who does that...like hard has a follower.

Reply #818035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ haha that make me chuckle

Don't want to play pessimist, however it seems like there's a fair few who like the idea of having their own clothing line mixed with some modelling and insta fame, and think that's enough to go for it and succeed.

Even someone like Cotton, it's probably more effort and cost than actual revenue/sales. More like a hobby than a genuine viable business proposition.

All the best - hope it works out!

Reply #818045 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

DUMB move. Plenty of time to start a clothing label later.

Reply #818051 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Three months earlier, I thought he was gonna play for Goorjian...

Reply #818052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason you can't play basketball AND start a clothing label.

Reply #818053 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He wants to stay in his home town Sydney with family and friends obviously rather than temporarily relocate to Adelaide again for potentially 4-6 months at or near minimum wage for a bench role and probably not much court time at that either.

By the sounds of things he's going to sit this NBL season out so is probably hoping his business interests take off and he won't have to return to basketball.

Reply #818056 | Report this post

Jason Cadee  
Years ago

Don't listen to the keyboard warriors Obi, you’ll go alright. If you need any advice on starting a clothing label, hit me up any time man!

Reply #818060 | Report this post

Bwucey  
Years ago

There is a typo in the title therefore the title is yet another which is factually incorrect.

Reply #818061 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He could play himself in a Star Wars movie.

Reply #818068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to the lad and lets be honest the NBL ain't paying him much so its understandable he would want to have a crack at new venutres.

It is a good laugh thou that he paid a photoograhper to take pics of him leaving training but hey its his cash so can do what he likes with it even if it comes across as an a grade w*nker move.

Reply #818089 | Report this post

jerry tason  
Years ago

His label looks shit, Bryce Cotton's t-shirts are shit, why do they do this. Just hoop.

Reply #818094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon he may end up at the Hawkes as I am pretty sure he had been coached years earlier by Jackomas at Comets.

Reply #818096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone wants a "label" and a "brand"

Reply #818102 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Johnson/Pinder
F Humphries/
F Import/McVeigh
G Dech/Teys
G Sloan/Giddey/Mudronja/Dillon

This makes it even more silly to keep Dillon IMO. They shouldn't go half in with one less big, or having a backup big import.

Go all in - SF import, ditch Dillon, grab a defensive big.

Reply #818103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder at C? Not likely.

Reply #818105 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pinder was signed to be the back up centre with Kyei as back up PF. However now it might be easier to find a back up centre than PF with guys like Pledger & Andersen still available.

Reply #818112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Homicide pays a photographer to take pics for his insta profile as well.

Guess these guys trying to create a fake hype/persona

Reply #818168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paying someone to take photos of you leaving NBL training is super lame though. At least Homicide is 'someone'.

Reply #818171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most "influencers" pay someone to take their vids/pics and then someone else to edit them.

Reply #818172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they pay for all the editing and photos?

Surely influencers get paid by someone else to be in photo shots promoting products.

So really its people create fake profiles to build a following i the hope that one day theyll get someone else to pay for it?

Damn thats so said....

Reply #818178 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

Influencers just seems like a massive scam, but if you can elicit free stuff out of dummies then go for it. All for the brand!

Reply #818194 | Report this post

H. Froling  
Years ago

Seeking photographer to take photos of me as I make my daily stroll to inside McDonalds.

Please forward all application to Brisbane Bullets.

Reply #818264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ H Froling, doesn't mr Heal do that for you already. :)

Reply #818269 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good one Harry, as if you walk to McDonald's.

Reply #818276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Harry would be going to Hungry Jacks after missing his FTs?

Reply #818286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got hit up these "high" profile NBL benchies to get a referral for a good photographer to take snaps of me leaving the office every night. Its a market i need to "influence:

Reply #818297 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Harry, I reckon you would've had a good relationship with the photographer at the Woolshed. Maybe see if they're available?

Reply #818323 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This can be a brutal forum sometimes.

Reply #818325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Gilligans :D

Reply #818326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys really don't have a life. Literally anonymously bullying a 22 year old kid. That make you feel bigger? I’d love to see how perfect you guys are. Losers.

Reply #818532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obi who is getting bullied?

Reply #818533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most "influencers" pay someone to take their vids/pics and then someone else to edit them.
Depends what tier. Household names would do that. Even in the half-million followers range, they would be earning enough to pay a photographer (who would shoot and edit). Prior to them reaching that range or even after that, many would be taking their own shots with prosumer cameras or a decent phone and editing themselves. In some cases, their partner is a professional photographer so they have shoot/edit skills freely available.

Even at the lower range (50k followers or so), you can get paid enough to treat it as a part-time job or better. And get travel/experiences/products contra on top.

I do some work in the travel area and all the "travel couples" you see would generally both be capable photographers or able to get by. For shots with both of them, they'll use a tripod and timer, drone, or shoot each other and then merge the shots.

For the people that find it all ridiculous, remember that in years past, there was a lot of advertising money poured into magazines, newspapers and the like. And that money has just moved to new media.

[Source: I know a travel couple making part-time money, who shoot everything themselves. Know of others who'd be in the same boat. I know of someone working as a photographer for a travel couple. Got a friend who was making a decent wage purely off part-time effort on Instagram but then got bored and gave it up - yet still gets offered money, contra, etc. I have zero following but I do some paid work or contra for social content so I see how it works.]

Reply #818550 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Literally anonymously bullying a 22 year old kid

Aside from the fact there doesn't appear to be much in the way of bullying going on here he's not a 22 yo kid, he turns 26 in December.

Reply #818552 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

So a 26 year old kid?

Reply #818558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a joke surely. The keyboard warriors just are allowed to post all this crap.

Reply #818560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 22 year old people are referring to is Froling is it not.

Reply #818561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that but the thread has gone way loopy. Happy for any Keyboard Warrior here to say that to H Frol's face. Cowards one and all.

Reply #818563 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For the people that find it all ridiculous, remember that in years past, there was a lot of advertising money poured into magazines, newspapers and the like. And that money has just moved to new media.
I remember seeing a survey asking for people's opinions on "influencers", and defined "influencer" as anyone who had achieved fame via the Internet. Which at that point is just old people yelling at new media to keep of their lawn.

Attractive women who have guys slobbering all over them just because they're attractive women, and have somehow managed to parlay that into a living, are one thing (not that the women themselves are the problem with that dynamic). But to suggest that people who put out YouTube shows or podcasts that are in all other ways equivalent to what you would have found on TV or radio in the past are somehow in the same boat is absurd.

Reply #818565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it like the Homuicides of the world that buy followers.....(have a look at the followers on insta plenty of bots and fakes in there!)

Reply #818566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754