KET
Years ago

Time for Wildcard Matchup

In the past people have argued "if you can't make top 4 you don't deserve to be in the finals" or "if you win less than half of your games you don't deserve to be in the finals".

We have 9 teams now, where finishing 5th is right in the middle, it's not below par. Soon we have 10 teams which will remove that second seed of doubt in all likelihood.

With the evenness of the NBL lately, and looking at the rosters - this is the time to have a 4th v 5th elimination game.

We know Wildcats will be good, they always are, and they have Cotton. NZ have a 'team to beat'. Melbourne and Sydney are strong in the players they have retained. There's 4 teams.

Cairns a little step back perhaps without their import trio, but with Machado they won't drop off that much.

36ers improved their roster, and likely further.

Hawks have made a solid fist of it - most expensive roster they have assembled and some genuine talent.

Anyone finishing 5th is going to be good. The teams are too even to not give us 4th v 5th wildcard match!

Topic #47691 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a no from me

Reply #819065 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I like the Idea if it similar to the "play in" they did in the NBA bubble.

If you are within x games of 4th you qualify for the play in.

Reply #819067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 with Dave.

Reply #819073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In many recent seasons passed even 6th and 7th have been within a game or two of 4th place.

Reply #819074 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I like it. You could have it similar to the NBA bubble one too where the lower ranked team needs to win 2, but the higher ranked team only needs to win one. Outside of the bubble that could mean the higher ranked team gets home court for the 1st game, and if the lower ranked team steals that, they earn the right to host the winner take all game 2

Reply #819075 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"In many recent seasons passed even 6th and 7th have been within a game or two of 4th place."

This was the case in the bubble too, but only the team who officially finished 9th had the right to challenge in a play in.

Reply #819076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just let everyone play finals?

Reply #819079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah I'm on board with that.

I think they should do similar in the AFL- 8th vs 9th, or maybe 7th vs 10th AND 8th vs 9th. That would achieve three things:

- Avoid the lull, the in-between bye round on eve of finals - gives footy fans something to talk about, instead of a fortnight wait for the first final

- Give a genuine advantage to the top 6 teams (or top 7) who get the bye week off

- More buy in for clubs and fans of teams who would still be in the finals race, when they otherwise wouldnt be

In the NBL there's more difficulties with scheduling, as there's FIBA windows, shorter timeframes between games etc. But in principle I like the idea.

Reply #819095 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Doesn't really work though.
Assuming you're talking about a single game, you'd have to cram it in, before the winner (already behind the 8-ball) goes onto play #1. You've just made it that much harder to achieve an upset.

If you want to go with a final 5, I would suggest something like this:

Quarter Finals:
#1 = bye
#2 v 5
#3 v 4
lowest ranked loser is eliminated

Semi Finals:
#1 v remaining loser
Winner v Winner

Grand Final:
SF Winners play off

Reply #819107 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Keep it as a top four.

Reply #819148 | Report this post

Say what?!!!  
Years ago

8 to 10 teams - top 4
11 to 13 teams - top 6 (1v6, 2v5, 3v4. 3 winners and highest loser into semis)
14 teams and higher - top 8 (traditional 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5)

Odd number of play off teams is stupid.

Reply #819267 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is a top six any less stupid than a top five?

Reply #819269 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Top 6

QF
1 v 6
2 v 5
3 v 4

SF:
highest ranked winner plays highest ranked loser
other two winners play off
other two losers eliminated

GF:
SF winners play off

Only problem I have is that 6 from 10 lowers the bar a bit too much (and yes I know we've done worse.)

Reply #819283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's your only problem? Being able to lose twice and still advance isn't a problem?

Reply #819284 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^under the format I laid out, ONE team would be able to lose ONCE and still hang in.
In any series where the participants are not a power of 2, you need to have either that and/or teams getting a bye, to even up the numbers.

Reply #819296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 6 in a 10 team league is ludicrous.
Can understand the appeal of top 5.

Qulifier 4 v 5 one game.
Winner joins top3 in semis as normal.

Reply #819297 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lucky losers in a playoff campaign are ridiculous but somehow a staple in Australian leagues. No thanks.

Reply #819298 | Report this post

todd  
Years ago

KISS principle

Round 1
4 v 5 One game only

Round 2
1 v 4/5 best of 3
2 v 3 best of 3

Round Grand Final
Grand Final best of 3

Reply #819299 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^Problem with that is that you either have 4 teams sitting around waiting, or you cram that one game in, and then the winner is under the pump to get ready for the top team. You're just making it very hard to achieve an upset and make that series competitive.

Reply #819300 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Lucky losers in a playoff campaign are ridiculous but somehow a staple in Australian leagues. No thanks.
TBH I don't mind it in some sports. Perhaps slightly different in BBall because you have 3-game series, but even still.
The idea is that there has to be extra reward for finishing at the top.
I recall one year, with a straight 8-team elimination format, where the Cats finished on top, yet came within a shot of going out in straight sets against the 8th placed team.

And besides, finals (with crowds) make money, so as a general rule the leagues prefer to have more.

Reply #819301 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

^under the format I laid out, ONE team would be able to lose ONCE and still hang in.
You have to lose twice to lose a series, not once.

Reply #819309 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Problem with that is that you either have 4 teams sitting around waiting, or you cram that one game in, and then the winner is under the pump to get ready for the top team. You're just making it very hard to achieve an upset and make that series competitive."

It's not AFL - one game isn't onerous for the NBL.

Usually you have staggered days for series, 1v4/5 would just be the second stagger.

If you're 4/5 and you get that initial win, maybe you enter with momentum?

I remember those days of 36ers playing elimination games, there's always so much more anxiety and tension for those types of games - it is awesome.

Reply #819322 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I remember both Ricky Grace and Andrew Gaze both going out for the last time in consecutive elimination games on away courts which felt a little unjust for both of them.

Reply #819328 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gaze did at least get the home playoff win though.

Reply #819331 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

True!

Reply #819350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754