D2.0
Years ago

Changes needed at the Wildcats

No, this isn't a panic thread. It's about what the Cats need to do to "complete" their roster for 2021. I'm not demanding the Cats win a 3-peat, but I do want to see them remain competitive in an improved league.

And no, I don't read anything into a pre-season game in which they extensively ran their bench and DP's.
(Apart from the obvious)

The DPs have shown that the Wildcats have some impressive depth. Except it all seems to be clustered around the 2 and 3 spots.

Trev and the Cats have a history of making do, and manufacturing a championship out of a squad that many thought wouldn't work. Two seasons back, he ignored calls for a 3rd import and backed his squad to a championship.
However, equally he's at times secured the ring with strategic upgrades during the season.
I'll back his judgement, so mostly I just curious about how the season will unfold.

Nothing I saw in these two games has really concerned me (yet.) Our Bench doesn't look great, but its early days, it's only the bench, and the DPs add a bit there.
What "worries" me is what I haven't seen, which is a complete starting front court. Even in this era of small-ball, and outside SFs, we're looking extremely thin up front.

Even when he's had two dedicated centres, Trev often liked to play his PF at the 5 for a few minutes, often with Wagstaff at the 4. So I'm not going to get into a debate about whether Mooney plays the 4 or the 5. Time will tell on that. The league will change again, without Bogut, and I've yet to see how other teams play.
But either way, our frontcourt currently consists of Mooney and Wagstaff. Impressive though he was, I just don't see playing Clint at PF as being a long-term solution.

Since day one, there has been talk of Big Plums returning when Cotton naturalises. Much as I love what he brings, I don't think he's even been spotted training, and as a 20 minute player, I don't feel he completely fills the needed space.
We have seen in recent years that Wagstaff's output will tend to drop as the season progresses. He's a Good player, and a great asset to have, but we're going to need more to cover the frontcourt. We could do a lot worse than starting Mooney and Jesse, but then who comes off the bench?

Could this be the time for Trev to Swallow his pride and go asking for a Next-Star?
A player the quality of Jessup, could well leave us open to cries of "4 'imports'." But unless there's another Aussie hiding in the woodwork, what choice do we have?
Even waiting for our "'3rd' import" could have consequences.

Topic #47900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost any credibility you had when you suggested Clint playing PF

Reply #825134 | Report this post

Neb  
Years ago

"This isn't a panic thread"

*starts panicking*

Reply #825136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't know who the pf is yet, could be import or big Aussie local.

We could see Kay, bolden or Reath or even an import of cotton goes oz.

Reply #825137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are going to sign Tom Jervis.

Reply #825139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Luke Neville up to?

Reply #825142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow and White look like nbl1 bench players.
Would give Shervill and Travers more minutes than those two.

Reply #825143 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Is this the first season under new ownership?

Reply #825146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt regretting white and Bairstow picks now.

Reply #825147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a rebuilding year for the cats

Reply #825148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe they need an import/Next Star 1 or 2
Really love Mitch Norton, but Cotton can't do it by himself ...
With the way the league is this year it isn’t no bigs that will destroy Mooney except maybe Oliver, they’ll need another guard

Reply #825149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& Jock Landale ^

Reply #825150 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Cats will make do with what we've got and Plumlee will get the call up when Cotton is naturalised. Then see the fireworks from the other team supporters. Mooney looks great, but would be much better expending his energy on offence once Plumlee is taking the heat off on defence.

Reply #825160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney ain't no pf. They clearly want a pf local or import.

Reply #825164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year already lookin like

Import-Norton-britt
Cotton-Buluk-travers
Blanchfield-Steindl-shervill
Kay-Wagstaff
Import-majok-Ferguson

Cut
White
Mooney
Bairstow

Reply #825166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff won't play on past this upcoming season.

It's crazy to speculate on next season but Perth can bounce back quickly only Cotton, Blanchfield and Travers who is elevated to full roster are signed.
Buluk has an option I think.

2021/22
? , Britt?
Cotton, Travers
Blanchfield, Steindl?, Shervill DP?
? , ?
? , Majok?.

Norton could also sign on, Kay could come back you never know.

Reply #825169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note this is Britt's last year as a DP he we other makes full roster or leaves.

Reply #825170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think based on the two preseason games it wouldn't be suprising to see DP Shervil getting real minutes to back up the 4 spot. He might be outmatched against some of the bigger 4s in the league, but as a small ball 4 he suits.

Reply #825171 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is this the first season under new ownership?

No. The potential sale of the club was postponed after COVID hit.

Reply #825192 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I believe they need an import/Next Star 1 or 2
Really love Mitch Norton, but Cotton can't do it by himself

It would be interesting to see who, if anyone, was available as a NS.
Norton just seems to be very low BBIQ at times, and its telling that at crunch times they have Cotton controlling the ball, rather than handing off to a PG and then trying to get open.
Unfortunately I think there are higher priorities than another guard.

Reply #825196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any next star options available?

Reply #825199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old same old at the start of every season, Perth are shit only to make strategic decision in season to adjust and be champions. Win 90% of home games which Perth do, a few away which Perth do and finals are guaranteed, then it's a new ball game. They will be right amongst it when the whips get cracking.
The only things stopping Perth is bad injury to Cotton or playing out of hub which is not in Perth.

Reply #825200 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cats will make do with what we've got and Plumlee will get the call up when Cotton is naturalised. Then see the fireworks from the other team supporters. Mooney looks great, but would be much better expending his energy on offence once Plumlee is taking the heat off on defence.

That's been the rumour, but do we know if he's even training?
And Whilst that would certainly give us a starting prescience, is a rotation of Mooney, Plums, and Jesse,going to be enough?

Reply #825201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminds me a bit of brisbane last year when you had several guys in one position and limited in another.

Reply #825202 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"That's been the rumour, but do we know if he's even training?"

Pretty sure he's hanging out in Qld with his partner, I'm sure he's keeping in shape ready for a call up.

Reply #825205 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Same old same old at the start of every season, Perth are shit only to make strategic decision in season to adjust and be champions. Win 90% of home games which Perth do, a few away which Perth do and finals are guaranteed, then it's a new ball game.

Normally re: Perth I would agree with this they have such a natural built in home court advantage along with Gleeson riding the refs that they only need to be half decent on the road to lock in a playoff spot.

I expect them to make the playoffs again once they sign another import to replace a naturalising Cotton but now that the heart & soul of the team in Martin is gone I think they'll take a step back this season and miss the GF.

Reply #825211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Zodiac said.
Semis this year for Perth.

Reply #825228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adding Plumlee just clogs the paint for Cotton.

Mooney, Plumlee & Norton in the starting line up is bad spacing, teams will be able to help more or double of Cotton pick & roll

Teams couldn't really help that last year with Terrico & Nick Kay as shooters along with Damo hitting big shots when it matters

You win with guard play & it’s always been that way in this league

If Norton gets in foul trouble which he will at times because he will guard the other teams best guard they are fucked. They’ll need another 3&D Point Guard to help Cotton score as well guard the other teams best player. I’m telling you guys now they’ll need a guard more than a Center who can’t shot spacing is vital

Reply #825229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Martin hitting the big shots when it mattered
he av 3.38 pts per game and at 19% form 3pt land and 28% from the field last year!
the other teams played do far off him to dare him to shoot!

Reply #825230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brutal Lineup would be:

Norton
Scoring/Defensive Import
Cotton (Naturalized)
Wagstaff or Steindl
Mooney

Reply #825231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand people want the big name ex NBA player but in the Finals Plumlee didn't play that much due to him being in foul trouble & Trev making adjustments taking him off the floor

Reply #825233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the last poster. Plumlee wont likely play more than 15-18 minutes which is way under what we need. Trev does not play centres long in his rotation. Otherwise they are desperately small and lacking another 4 and a PG.

Reply #825271 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, that's the issue with Plumlee. He's a 20 minute (substantial) role player. The 5 spot was shared between him, Jook, and Kay.
Whether we think Mooney is better at the 4 or the 5, we need somebody that can play big minutes. (Or potentially 2 players who can do it between them).

Bairstow is listed at 201cm, but they must have measured him with his shoes on. He looks undersized and overwhelmed. I don't see him making a huge contribution, and I can't see a rota of Mooney, Plums, and Jesse carrying the frontcourt all season.

Reply #825277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An import that plays 1/2 a game are you serious. Does he get paid 1/2 a salary?

Reply #825290 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wouldn't be an NBL pre-season without some Wildcats fans panicking...

Reply #825352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee where the fuck you been ?

Reply #825354 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Who's panicking?
We have a spot to fill, and I'm wondering how we will go about filling it?
An Aussie?
Wait for Cotton to naturalise?
If so, Plumlee? Or another import?

Also wondering if this might be the season we finally get a NS?

Reply #825369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be late to get an NS now Dazz.

Reply #825374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless some Aussie is available.
Okwera for example but probably not

Reply #825379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest assured Perth will spend what they need to towards the end of the season to Win At All Costs.

Reply #825385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. They'll buy themselves an nba guy just before the minimum game cut off

Reply #825388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Difficult to do that with travel restrictions and quarantine requirements in place.

Reply #825389 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Would be late to get an NS now Dazz."

Are there any draftees without contracts that might be available for stashing?

Reply #825391 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Rest assured Perth will spend what they need to towards the end of the season to Win At All Costs."
"Exactly. They'll buy themselves an nba guy just before the minimum game cut off"

Ok, so let's assume that's basically correct. Cats will do their best until Cotton naturalises, then bring in a star import who's been cut from Europe or the NBA...

What should they be doing in the mean time?
Promote Ferguson?
Try to entice Andersen or Pledge over?
Or just run (really) small ball?

Reply #825392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlike Perth to do nothing.
Have put all the eggs in the citizenship basket for Cotton and don't look to have a plan B.

Reply #826701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754