Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Melbourne Jan 25

Well..... three undefeated teams so far this season and of course if you are going to brag about going through undefeated, you better put the stones on the line. Melbourne with a lot of pressure on them today to knock off the lesser favoured Cairns. Cairns may be able to blow them away.

United were well held in the first half against the Sixers, but essentially ran away from a sluggish Sixers to outscore them 52 to 26 in a game of two halves. No United player was head and shoulders over the others, but a solid team effort all round. Cairns have not been playing bad basketball, but will definitely have their hands full tonight containing these bad boys. You would think they would have developed some mad skills wrestling crocs, snakes and feral cane toads so a bunch of man bun wearing soy latte sippers should be within reach.

The secret of course is containing the CG43 machine. The United forwards may find themselves challenged around the key, but if United can't keep up with the Tropical Tango style of the Snakes, then the scoreboard will be the home team's friend. United will be beaten in the transition, but around the key always seem to slow the game down enough to put up good shots.

United by 9

Topic #48019 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Landale gets a chance to go against the pre eminent #1 big in the comp

With Martin and Humphries in, there's competition but Oliver is the man till someone has his measure twice in a row.

Reply #829456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United guards just need to zone in on Machado and pressure him full length of the court all game. He's the only one that can create offense for Taipans.

Reply #829459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United to remain "undefeated" after this game.

Reply #829460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans need to get a win out of the next couple of home games .
Could be 1 and 5 if they don't start playing defence .

Reply #829468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans lack serious depth.
Newbill is gone blah blah blah but all teams have lost that extra import spot.
Jawai and Kenny are past it. Blagojevich never got there.

Reply #829470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili is just the bloke to make Machado life miserable. Cairns 2/3 and 4 are horrible defensively and Machado has a lot covering to do, resulting in foul trouble. Oliver is a super star but on his own and with Machado left naked covering for all it's a long way back. Chest pumping won’t get this done for Cairns.
United by 20.

Reply #829477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha he said soy latte again. Classic!

Reply #829479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A must win for Cairns. 1 - 3 at home and you're in big trouble.

Think United will be too deep for Cairns - imports dropping to 2 has hurt them the most as lower budget

Reply #829491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again great work Jack, with game on every day I hope you get a bonus. ::::)))))))

Reply #829501 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac doubles my pay each year

Reply #829508 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Landale Vs Oliver is worth going to Bunnings itself. They should cancel each other out.

Mirko cannot guard CG43 or McCaron.
Noi cannot guard Hopson.
Ili should be a handful for Machado.

Then there is still JLA, Yaba and White to come.

Good luck Cairns.

Reply #829516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Goulding can't guard anybody. Still.

Reply #829519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#519 this is just totally incorrect

Reply #829520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#519 I think coach Kelly would be happy if his two or three guards could defend as well as Goulding.

Reply #829524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is a better defender than Kenny & Machado?

Reply #829526 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I'd take djeric over Goulding defensively. At least he gives a hoot

Reply #829527 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Would someone on the Cairns side like to play some....you know....defence?

Reply #829530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain Action

Reply #829531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng, Djeric and Noi are wonderful defenders, I've just been watching them.

Reply #829534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way that's an unsportsmanlike foul

Reply #829535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Christ this constant reviewing of everything is unwatchable basketball.

Reply #829536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JLA has never seen a shot he doesn't like l

Reply #829537 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Geez, the unsportsmanlike foul. Bit harsh.

Reply #829538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman subbing for the sake of subbing and United's lead vanishes.

Reply #829539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very harsh that unsportsmanlike. Gaze is a good commentator but the other two are woeful. Homicide just makes shit up.

Reply #829540 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cairns would probably be leading if not for all the o-boards they have given up.

Reply #829541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman screaming more than Gleeson. Enjoyable game, nice bit aggression happening.

Reply #829542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with the reviewing. Feels like it's been quite overdone in the first two rounds.

Leave everything for the last two minutes. Piss the reviews off for everything else.

Reply #829544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking is always tasty but nothing compared to nbl owner cooking.

Reply #829545 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Baba is handy to have...great pick up.

Reply #829546 | Report this post

2hard2guard  
Years ago

When will Homicide stop sucking off Jock Landale?

Reply #829547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United deserve to drop this, horrible shot clock management late.

Reply #829548 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What was horrible about it?

Machado was trash in the final couple of minutes, that last shot was atrocious. Get to the rim.

Reply #829549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United lucky to win that in the end.

Reply #829550 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Landale will learn soon enough.

Reply #829553 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"Machado was trash in the final couple of minutes, that last shot was atrocious. Get to the rim."

This.

Reply #829554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns looking tired, they have played a lot of close games with not much time between them. Good game. It's interesting that Kelly didn’t start with Deng and both Deng and Noi did not play in the Cairns come back in last five minutes. I’d say he’s not happy with there defensive effort and positioning.
United got lot weapons, and yes can we stop the homicide sucking up. White looks a team player.

Reply #829555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns looking tired, they have played a lot of close games with not much time between them. Good game. It's interesting that Kelly didn’t start with Deng and both Deng and Noi did not play in the Cairns come back in last five minutes. I’d say he’s not happy with there defensive effort and positioning.
United got lot weapons, and yes can we stop the homicide sucking up. White looks a team player.

Reply #829556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi, -14 and deng-6.

Reply #829557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#535 new rule interpretation released by FIBA

Reply #829558 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Agreed that some of the subbing from Vickerman seemed to disrupt the flow. I hope it's not predetermined rotations as it can really upset momentum. Baba looks a genuinely reliable scoring option and White is very solid. Hopson hasn’t fitted in yet. Cairns unlucky at the end, they look much better when they attack the jet rather than rely on the pull up.

Reply #829560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#558, have you seen the play, two players going for lose ball, hardly any contact, one falls over and gets the unsportsmanlike. It was crap decision even on the replay.

Reply #829563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Noi, -14 and deng-6."
Yep both crap. United very dodgy if they struggle to beat Cairns.

Reply #829564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#535 new rule interpretation released by FIBA" A citation in this case would explain it all. Thanks

Reply #829565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look it up yourself. I'm not here to spoon feed you

Reply #829566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#563 maybe go learn the rules first

Reply #829567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Look it up yourself. I'm not here to spoon feed you"
Yeah so what am I going to look up exactly? 2 players crash on the floor? Man there are some idiots about tonight.

Reply #829568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale v Mooney and Martin will be a good contest.

Reply #829569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krslovic started and it's clear why... he has improved a lot and gives Cairns some extra toughness,
Was impressed with Jack White too. He could be a future star of the league and is much more athletic than advertised

Reply #829572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is much better than I thought he would be.

Is Noi the most brilliant offensive yet terrible defender since Carlos Powell? I think he's struggle to guard my 12 year old niece.

Reply #829575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#568 yes there are. They told you during the coverage it was a clear path foul. Probably not to hard to look that up yourself

Reply #829576 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Machado popped up on the free throw line for a jumper to win the game.
Fairly basic stuff for basketballers to make that shot.
He caint, or couldn't.

Reply #829589 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns positives:
Machado and Oliver

Negatives:
Defense woeful at times

1-3 and I don't think they'll return to top 4 with this lineup

United positives:
Depth being showcased with Baba and JLA

White

Negatives:
Hopson looks very uncomfortable

Machado scored too easily inside and Jawai absolutely bullied Landale. What will Martin and Humphries do?

Reply #829606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United don't even need Hopson, yet still they had to steal him from the Breakers..

Reply #829629 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

@LV not sure I'd say Jawai absolutely bullied Landale. He had 6 and 4 in 13 odd minutes? Would much rather the versatility mismatch Landale provides against a dinosaur centre with only moves on block (in fairness not many have ever been able stop Jawai down low but he’s also never been a consistent threat over a whole season).

agreed that Hopson looks lost. Has been a problem for United for quite some time ie fitting ball dominant imports into the mix. I think he’ll come good.

On Baba, how many teams do you think he’d start at the two? Looks very solid.

Reply #829647 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Baba looks very solid, Ili and Baba would be one of the best back up backcourts I can remember in the NBL. Good thing though, McCarron's not setting the world on fire right now

A couple of times Jawai scored too easily against Landale but of course overall Landale is a far superior player, he's shown his versatility and class.

Hopson a big question mark. IF he starts to look like the Scottie Hopson of NBL 19/20, then United's depth means they're easily the head and shoulders favourite for mine. But obviously he's nowhere near that right now.

Reply #829679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili was excellent and either Goulding or McCarron should come off the bench and let him start at the point.

Reply #829681 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Ili has been excellent and also when playing for NZ however history shows he can't quite make that step up to being the starting point. His most effective role I think is as the defensive 6th man / backup point.

McCarron has just been given the reins to run the point after long being promised the role since he switched from Cairns. While his numbers are low I think he’ll grow into the role and become more attacking. He’s still very tough defensively and is a pass-first point which they haven’t had for quite some time. Goulding remains their best genuine scorer at the two, but I like that Baba is putting pressure on.

Reply #829684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Haha he said soy latte again. Classic!"

never gets old...

Reply #829703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United's lineup is spot on at the moment. Having Ili and Baba off the bench they are destroying 2nd string players on other teams. Sunday will be more of a test with Adnan and Gibbo, both experienced heads.

Reply #829814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754