Jack Toft
Years ago

Snakes v Hawks Jan 28

Somebody wake up Gordie at the nursing home, the Hawks are top of the table undefeated. (oh but gently, don't want to shock him too much)

The Taipan's season could start to slither away soon. Great opening game, but then 3 losses in a row has really put the pressure on this team. Not that they are playing bad basketball, it's been entertaining and the contribution across the team has been OK, but winning games is all about the little things and an extra couple of points for, saving a couple of points in D makes a massive difference. Like a shoe lace, or a belt on a fat kid, they just need to tighten up a bit.

The Hawks are looking pretty good and rumour has it that Oscar is in the backyard practicing his long game in case of an injury cover callup. Too late for Mat and Glen to start the keto though. Solid wins over the Queensland teams have got their season off to a great start and a win tonight could be the grand slam they need before taking on the Melbourne teams.

I don't want to make a tip tonight because I would like either team to win. The Taipans I feel need to get into 5th gear and a win might do that, the Hawks, well I think they're everyone's second team so after three years on no major round action, it would be great to see them in finals (at the expense of the Cats?)

I'll go an OT game

Topic #48026 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Anyone heard if Bear or Adel are back for the Hawks?

Sidenote: how good has it been to have an NBL game on every day of the week, love it.

Reply #829837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm enjoying a game every night. Great to have the game back.

No point making a tip, the comp is so close, I’m a coward.

I’ll just say that if Cairns just play slightly better D they could get this. Machado needs a little bit of pressure taken off him, maybe let Djeric play point on odd plays. Oliver could exploded so I’m looking forward to this game.

The master coach will keep hawks firing to the end, can Cairns stop there shooters. Who knows, I certainly don’t.

Reply #829841 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Need something from Deng. He was terrible Monday & prob cost us big!

Cairns need this & should get it - by 3

Reply #829842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on Glover?

Reply #829843 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great Hawks legends reference.

Sidenote: how good has it been to have an NBL game on every day of the week, love it

It's great and should continue, there's only been one day since the season began without a game. Hopefully it continues.

Reply #829846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Any news on Glover?"

Definitely not playing this game. He plays for Kings.

Reply #829858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barstow out, Adel in

Reply #829880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taking hawks +2.5 with Jessup over 14.5

Reply #829887 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hawks are value here - markets seem to be stubborn and keep fading Goorj.

Reply #829896 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That last 2 mins of Q1 was horrific for Cairns.

Multiple turnovers and a tough lay up plus 3 x 3pts from Hawks, what a quick turnaround.

Reply #829897 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

12-6 to 12-19, what a run.

Reply #829898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are not looking good at all. Newbill clearly their best or second best player. Machado looking over rated atm

Reply #829905 | Report this post

Owen  
Years ago

value on snakes after ht? or pass? 3.65 now...

Reply #829906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fast paced game this one.

Reply #829908 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No.

Looking good for us Hawks buyers so far.

Reply #829909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns bench is so bad and when Noi who is a starter is also-11 you are in trouble. Oliver, Machado, Djeric and Krislovic doing ok, the rest are street ballers. Hawks could make this ugly.

Reply #829910 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Goorj seems to have turned AJ's attitude around. Hawks have a lot of depth with Bairstow still to return.

Reply #829911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj has trained this team to be fit, Bevo got lazy in his last years, smart coach that he is. Ogilvy has always had talent but Goorj knows how to use it, it's the same for the whole team though deng Adel has been underwhelming.

Reply #829913 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Deng Deng looks pretty good.

Why did the Breakers not play him?

I'm starting to think Shamir is a muppet.

Reply #829916 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Taking hawks +2.5 with Jessup over 14.5

Easily over. Well played.

Reply #829917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamirs job certainly on the line.

Reply #829918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atm, it looks like a Hawks n United gf.

Reply #829919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks got best two imports. Eleven deep.

Reply #829920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up Cam Luke

Reply #829921 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I second that even though I've put it on mute.

Reply #829922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are definitely in trouble now. 1-4 after so many home games, it's just not good enough in a tough league. Can’t believe how much they are missing DJ Newbill. They’ve been struggling to defend without him and surprisingly struggling to score as well.
While the Hawks have improved out of site, this game has been embarrassing for Cairns.

Reply #829923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny, blagojevic out.

Mcdowell white, Broekhoff in and they would be competitive.

I'd give Dufelmeier a go, played well in nbl1, Kenny ain’t given them much.

Reply #829924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi -24 yet cam Luke and homicide keep telling how good he his. Machado trying to hard, looking more like Casper every game. Let Djeric play the point a bit. Loved Jawai over the years but it's time to pull up stumps.
Hawks have adopted the French national anthem, march on , march on. Goorj makes average players good and good players great.

Reply #829927 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gorj making silk purses

Reply #829929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Agree! Unsure why anyone thinks Noi has NBA potential when he's been awful at both ends but it’s not just him. Mojave King is not going anywhere near an NBA roster if he doesn’t improve defensively. -19 in 13 minutes! Jawai doesn’t look in shape (no surprise!) and was even worse at -15 in less than 10mins.
If they want to turn their season around, their whole team needs to take some pride into getting some stops and working together as a team.

Reply #829930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think king will go in 22 draft, needs another year.

Reply #829932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you listen to most nbl commentary, king going nba next year and Noi just waiting for the phone call, they said he'd be drafted already. Can we get some commentators that actually know a bit, Hooley and Gaze is a good start. Add John Casey to call. I d add Santamaria but tell him to keep on track and not bs. Wortho was good a few years back, get Damien Martin to the hub and try Bogut.

Reply #829936 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Love what Goorjian has created, team chemistry and confidence is exceptional. You can see the players are all onboard with the game-plan. Players like Ogilvy look reborn.

Their depth is also amazing considering who is currently injured.

Agreed re fanboy Cam Luke. He is really cringeworthy, talks too much, dominates the call but is completely ill informed.

Reply #829938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns paid too much money for Machado. ALL Cairns players in the minus category of +/- Pathetic.

Reply #829939 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Cairns looking crappier than the NBL's promotional giveaway of one Kmart $50 gift card per game.

Reply #829942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi is never playing NBA.

King I thought would be a stud. He has been underwhelming so far. Maybe needs 1-2 more years.

Reply #829952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commentary has been woeful this year and so too the refs, the decals are an issue, the constant reviews, the overbearing music during gametime, the poor resolution for some games, very poor product this year.

Reply #829954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cam Luke and Dwayne Russell are the best play by play callers the league can put up, then the broadcast quality is seriously compromised. Both are awful. Having John Casey work sideline only is a crime and a waste of talent.

Reply #829959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't usually worry about the commentary. I realise it's not for me but last night Cam Luke not only botched names, they weren't even on the right teams and he just talked and talked and talked. He would make Chris Webber blush. I love his enthusiasm (to a point) and I know its tough with the commentating hub there is that disconnect but there is a stadium with a crowd, a court with players, coaches etc. Use it, take plays off and for heaven's sake, take a breath before you have a coronary.

Reply #829960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4-0.
Must have been the "Illawarra" holding them back

Reply #829961 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Commentary started 'Goorgian a great coach & Mike Kelly not far behind, let's see what Kelly can do in his debut season'.

Think it's his 3rd ??

Reply #829966 | Report this post

millhouse13  
Years ago

NbL21 - the rest of the teams got better and cairns went backwards with this team.. depth is a real problem at the pf spot and Jawai looks cooked. King is still really young and looks likely to need another year or so and is making a lot of mistakes at this level - goes to show how good DJ newbill was last year for Cairns
this season they are destined for the bottom unless they can find some more bench strength at PF/C - Alex pledger would be a handy addition right now

Reply #829982 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't Jawai similar last season? Did enough to get people enthused in one game and then faded from there? Might be thinking of someone else though.

Reply #829983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always a shame to see veterans go one season too long.

Reply #829984 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jawai's still got another year to go on his contract after this one.

Reply #829985 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isaac you're sort of correct - Jawai was playing like he was cooked for many years until last season when he turned it around which helped Cairns have such a strong performance. Now he's reverted back to his norm. Very disappointing.

Reply #829994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just watched a replay, another massive Oliver dunk, at least the two Sydney players stepped up and tried to stop it, Adel just stepped out the way. Lol. Great player Oliver is.

Reply #829996 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns looking crappier than the NBL's promotional giveaway of one Kmart $50 gift card per game.

Was that you who was just announced as winning one?

Reply #830188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754