Will Magnay
Thon Maker
Patty Mills
Brock Motum
Mitch Norton
Duop Reath
Ben Simmons
Matisse Thybulle

No Bogut (of course) but also no Cotton. I would assume the latter would be added should his circumstances change.

Otherwise any names not included which surprises anyone?

Topic #48045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton lol wtf

Reply #830640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised Reath but no Mathiang.

Reply #830641 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Is it a surprise bolden wasn't picked?

Reply #830642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton over Sobey, that's hilarious.

Reply #830643 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Where's Gliddon?

Reply #830644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're allowed one naturalised player so Cotton didn’t make the cut

Reply #830646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton and Thybulle can both be taken.

Reply #830647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats not what I said. I said Cotton didn't make the cut

Reply #830648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's not Aussie yet

Reply #830649 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

People saying sobey and gliddon. Lemanis isn't coaching. You don’t need scoring power on that team. Not that Norton will get picked. Only listed as a defensive player. Same reason Martin got picked for all those squads

Reply #830650 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I understand not bothering with Sobey as he plays the PG role incorrectly like a ball hog under Lemanis who seems to be ok with it. Nearly cost the Bullets a win last weekend.

Reply #830652 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

They do need consistent perimeter power, we still don't have good replacements for Joe and Patty, plenty of all around players but not good shooters. Also several injured and not playing which may be a good but usually a bad thing, hope Broekhoff finds some place to play, this team needs him.

Reply #830653 | Report this post

Ananon  
Years ago

Wheres Gliddon Moller and Adnam?

Reply #830654 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Gliddon = power.

Reply #830655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half this team are either not playing because the g league hasn't started or are injured. WMW, oh my.

Reply #830656 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^my comment was re shooting power not any names, Gliddon is not even a shadow of former himself, so didn't expect him to be part of it. I think this is kinda glory or bust approach, it will be interesting to see how much time they will have together to gel under Goorj.

Reply #830657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack White unlucky?

Reply #830661 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Gliddon = shooting power. 25% is now classified as power. Sorry, shooting power.

Reply #830662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons/Dellavedova
Mills/Cotton/Thybulle
Ingles/Broekhoff/Creek
Landale/Maker
Baynes/Humphries

Reserves
Exum - always injured
Goulding - shooter solely
Green - needs more exp
Kay - unathletic up against much bigger guys.
Magnay - needs more exp

Some of the others have a future but are to young, injured etc

Reply #830664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some great options for this edition of the Boomers if everyone is available and we get to see an eventual Olympics campaign.

Reply #830665 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Some people making some surprising decisions with their Boomers teams, either prizing guys who are less talented than others (Creek over Thybulle?) or going young for no real reason.

For me, this could be the greatest shot we ever have to medal. I am all for pushing the program forward but at some point you have to decide this is our chance, and stack all 12 spots with guys who can get the job done TODAY.

That means for me, no Giddey, Green, Maker (not young anymore but still a project) , White or Magnay.

In the team I choose, I take runs on the board ahead of whether or not you've dipped a toe into the NBA. I prize shooting above defense in some spots, only because I know we have plenty of top-end defenders already.

This is the team I am riding with -

MY team -
Baynes/Humphries
Simmons/landale/motum
Ingles/broekhoff/ thybulle
Mills/ Goulding
Delly/Exum

Reply #830666 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I like it, ME

Reply #830667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack White, four years at Duke, stunning start to his nbl career and doesn't get a look in against injured players and players with good media profiles. Yes they will put a good team together but some of the 24 selected are serial media pets. I’m surprised Cadee didn’t make the squad but McDowell White can’t be left out as he’s a bench sitter in the g league when not injured.

Reply #830668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Future u25

97 6'3 D.Vasljevic SG
95 6’5 W.Mcdowell-white PG
97 6’5 M.Thybulle G/F
02 6’5 M.King SG
95 6’6 D.Exum PG
00 6’6 J.Green G/F
97 6’7 D.Adel SF
97 6’7 K.Noi SF
97 6’7 J.White CF
95 6’8 X.Cooks CF
02 6’8 J.Giddey PG
96 6’10 B.Simmons PG/PF
96 6’10 J.Bolden PF
98 6’10 W.Magnay PF/C
95 6’11 J.Landale PF/C
00 6’11 S.Froling PF/C
96 6’11 D.Reath C
98 6’11 I.Humphries C
97 7’1 T.Maker PF/C

Reply #830670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

01 6'8 L.Travers SF

Reply #830671 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Jonah Bolden gets a snub after his behaviour last year...

Reply #830672 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Bolden has done his dash with the Boomers or he'd be in the camp. And I am totally here for that. I don't care what his reasons were, if you leave your national team high and dry on the eve of a major tournament, you don't deserve the privilege of being called back again.

Reply #830673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker 97, only in the US, certainly not in his home state of WA.

Reply #830674 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

I'd say the lack of bolden would more be due to he hasn’t professional basketball ever since his 10 day with the suns expired, which happened before COVID got the NBA, so likely (and understandably) Goorj is probably wondering if the guy is even in game shape as that was almost a year ago

Bit surprised at no mathiang or white, but thankfully no gliddon or sobey

Reply #830675 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

hasn't played*^

Reply #830676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My wish list

In : Jonah Bolden , Mangok Mathiang , Bryce Cotton

Out : Mitch Mccarron , Mitch Norton , Will Mcdowll-White or Xavier Cooks or Duop Reath

Reply #830682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its been announced in Japanese media that the Olympics aren't going ahead so its a mute point

Reply #830683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it was announced today that it is going ahead.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/olympics-organisers-give-giant-middle-finger-to-tokyo/news-story/fd70cf3f580a28fefa6cfbf2cf0c2b30

Reply #830684 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That squad, did all those players actually nominate?

Not that it means much, just wondering

Reply #830685 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Is it really surprising Jack White isnt there? His last year at Duke was hardly inspiring. He has been going pretty well so far in the NBL, but still early days. If he keeps going like he is, hew will get his shot.

Reply #830689 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Is it really surprising Jack White isnt there? His last year at Duke was hardly inspiring. He has been going pretty well so far in the NBL, but still early days. If he keeps going like he is, hew will get his shot.

Reply #830690 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Last I heard. (without reading news.com article),
No crowd, no audience, athletes to go home after their event, rather than stay in a village, is what they'll go forward with.

Reply #830693 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Baynes
Landale
Ingles

Dellavedova
Exum
Humphries
Magnay
Broekhoff

Green
Maker

Reply #830694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S5
Simmons-pg/pf
Mills-cg
Ingles-g/f
Landale-pf/c
Baynes-c

Dellavedova-pg
Cotton-sg
Broekhoff-g/f
Maker-pf/c
Humphries-pf/c

Thybulle-g/f
Creek-cf

Reply #830697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek C/F :) OMG

Reply #830698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combo forward... sf and pf

Reply #830700 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bit excitable on Humphries! Don't think he's in the Boomers strongest 10-12

Reply #830707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boguts gone mate, need another center.

Reply #830708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries keeps playing like he is he'll be a starter. Why maker gets in most punters team is what amazing, he has shown nothing anytime. Is Sam Froling keeps his steady rise he be a better option.
I’ve previously thought that both Humphries and Froling were highly overrated but have changed my mind re their form. The squad has a fair few pick on nothing but reputation, yes some obviously great picks but others are woeful.

Reply #830710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling better than maker lol.

Reply #830712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cadee?

Reply #830718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling is 10 years younger lol.

Reply #830724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that Goorjian was quoted as saying he can only take 1 naturalised player so it'd be between Thybulle and Cotton.
Thybulle isn’t a naturalised Australian. His is genuine citizenship due to growing up here.

Near-certain they can both play in same team.

Reply #830728 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Humphries walks onto the Boomers team in current form. As for Thon Maker, he is still a project an NBA level. People think he's better than players in other leagues solely for being in the NBA, but he's in the NBA on potential alone, not what he can actually do today, which is actually pretty modest in the scheme of things.

Humphries makes my team, Maker does not.

Reply #830736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton naturalised and Thybulle obtained citizenship before 16y.o so I do believe they can both go.
Adel, Maker and Reath also before 16y.o

Reply #830737 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Not so simple re naturalisation rule, don't think BA wants to apply for exemption in this case:

21. a. A national team participating in a Competition of FIBA may have only one player on its team who has acquired the legal nationality of that country by naturalisation or by any other means after having reached the age of sixteen (16). This provision applies also to any player having the right to acquire a second nationality at birth but who did not lay claim to this right until after having reached the age of sixteen (16).

b. For purposes of letter (a) above and in the event of doubts, any player claiming to have acquired a legal nationality before having reached the age of sixteen (16), without presenting the respective passport with a date of issue before the player's sixteenth birthday, requires a decision by the Secretary General confirming that he does not fall under the restriction of letter (a) above. In taking this decision the Secretary General shall take into account the following criteria:
- the number of years during which the player has lived in the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play;
- the number of seasons during which the player has participated in domestic
competitions in the country of the national team for which he wishes to play;
- any other criteria capable of establishing a significant link between the player and the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play.

Reply #830738 | Report this post

Poster  
Years ago

Simmons/Dellavedova/Exum
Mills/Thybulle/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff
Maker/Landale
Baynes/Reath

Long
Athletic
Defensively strong
Surrounded Simmons with shooters

Reply #830742 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

For those that don't think maker will make the team or even worse (don’t deserve a spot in the larger squad) really are kidding themselves. It’s one thing to think he’s not good enough to make the team, but this notion of 'he isn’t doing well in the nba, so therefore he doesn’t deserve a spot’ is just silly. If we were to operate by this logic then guys like broekhoff, exum and delly shouldn’t be included. So considering the nba is by far a superior league to the nbl, let’s just remember that a lot of talented players haven’t been able to get a good gig or even crack at the nba, so just because maker was an end of rotation or even end of bench guy in the best league in the world shouldn’t automatically disqualify him. As stated, if we went by this logic several talented aussies shouldn’t get a gig, and let’s keep in mind the guys in the nbl who couldn’t get a rotation or end up bench spot for the time maker has like creek and humphries. However it does worry me that the guy was cut and may not be in game shape so I could see that holding him back.

The same applies towards green and Thybulle, as considering the clowns on here had way to early reactions at Thybulle not getting game time even tho philly is currently one of the best teams in the league and he has since been getting more and more minutes, let alone he’s an elite level nba defender and solid 3 point shooter, and if Damian Martin can make Olympic roster, then Thybulle should sure as hell too.

Reply #830743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath is a bench player in the aba. Maker has never shown he can play anywhere. Humphries is showing us how good he is. Some of the other players on the list have shown over time they can play, at present not playing but have time now that the g league is starting. Players that don't play g league because of injury or not picked up by any should not be picked in the final squad.

Reply #830753 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Musk, it's not necessarily what minutes he's playing in the NBA as it is what he can or can't actually do.

Long, athletic, can run like a gazelle and hit the occasional three pointer, but isn't a lock down defender, is inconsistent, still is raw as all hell, hasn't shown he can put it together yet. He is still a project.

He also is lean still and will get outbodied for rebounds, as he does in the NBA.

I am not saying he absolutely can't make the team, or that he absolutely shouldn't. If Goorjian believes he fits the team then I support it. But he doesn't make the team in my view at this particular point.

As for Thybulle... he walks onto the Boomers if he's available. Once again, it's about his tools, not his playing time.

Reply #830766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2 fiba games, maker averaged 11/8/2 and he looked very active.
A loss to Japan and on limited minutes after phillipines scuffle.
He will change a lot of shots and with great passers by Simmons n Delly, he'll get some dunks.

Reply #830767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect fiba maker is much better than club maker, just like mills or Delly.

Reply #830768 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mangok Mathiang is still currently out of action recovering from a broken leg. He will not be ready in time for selection hence his omission. He would be an obvious centre to come in after Tokyo.

As others have said, Bolden dug his own hole in walking out prior to the World Cup. It is up to him to mend/build relationships, not the other way around. Plus he has not played in 12 months, and currently does not even have a team!

As someone else said earlier: this is the big chance for the Boomers to not only win a first medal, but it actually could be gold!

You go with your absolute best, and have cover in all positions, and those picked must all buy-into the team first mentality and Boomers culture which is always talked about. Realistically, spots 11 and 12 are bench warmers, but are an insurance policy to cover any possible injury.

Only need to play 6 games to win a medal in Tokyo as opposed to the World Cup.

Reply #830769 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Boomers Team USA Spain hub in Vegas

Reply #830787 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

PG - Simmons/Delly/Exum
SG - Mills/Thybulle/Green
SF - Ingles/Broekhoff/Creek
PF - Reath/Motum/Maker
C - Baynes/Landale/Humphrie

Reply #830792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you're only allowed 12 champ

Reply #830793 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's interesting to me that Bolden doesn't even have a team. He isn't injured. He is talented. He can play. Says to me he thinks maybe he's better than he is, and isn't willing to take some humble pie and play in the NBL for a bit, because without doubt teams would have thrown deals at him.

What is he going to do now, quit basketball? Weird situation. I think it speaks to his character, or lackthereof.

Reply #830794 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

That's my top 3 from each position, likely Exum will be injured, Simmons wont play, Maker who knows, Reath who knows, Green who knows.

Is that OK fuccboi?

Reply #830795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. Rubbish line up. But appreciate the abuse. Classy dude

Reply #830796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden has been working out a lot, maybe he thinks someone will pick him up in the nba.
Was a few euro teams after him.

Reply #830798 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

Don't be a patronising cxnt and you won't get abused. Simple.

Reply #830802 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

My point being ME and anons is that we judging maker's tools off his nba experience, and to simply do that is silly as there are plenty of guys who are in the nba and not in the nba that could be decent contributors to the boomers, but once they try their hand at the nba they don’t get a run or aren’t as featured like they are internationally. And to say we judge him off his last boomers experience that was 2-3 years ago at this point. And if we simply go off the tools argument then delly shouldn’t get a gig as in the nba despite being a good defender, he’s honestly a bad offensive player. Again not trying to say he’ll be a lock for the team, but the blanket statement of 'not doing a anything in the nba, so shouldn’t get a spot’ is just foolish as we’d be judging his tools by nba level, and again if we did the same for a creek, broekhoff or even humphries, then what does that say about them that they’re not in the league. Maker has been in the league since 2015 (only got cut just now) so he’s had a run there a lot longer then a whole bunch of other aussies. Also to the clown who said froling should get a gig instead needs to just stop

Reply #830803 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's quite concerning that Goorjian didn't select Bolden. Going from a World Cup selection to not even making the 25. You'd think Bolden would be doing whatever he can to restore his reputation considering his history as a primadonna/quitter, remembering that he also quit college for similar reasons. It's not like he's only behaved like this in the national program.

Reply #830805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#802 sorry tough guy

Reply #830806 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

Don't be sorry hoe, be careful.

Reply #830808 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I'd have Sobey before Mitch Norton. Jack White probably a bit stiff as well but the nucleus for a medal is all there!
It will be a fiery training camp for spots & we have the right guy calling the shots.

Can't wait

Reply #830810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#808 Gee, what a douche. Keyboard warrior. I'm terrified. I'll be careful from now on. Wanker

Reply #830811 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I'm a poet & i didn't know it!

Reply #830812 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

Warrior in real life mayne.

Reply #830814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

English please smh

Reply #830815 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

This guy. Meet up please. Send location please.

Reply #830821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh such a gangster hahahaha

Reply #830823 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I agree with Orbit that both Sobey and White ahead of Norton & WMW. Both Sobey & White outstanding in there NBL roles, so far.

Sobey, cos he's done so much right and really deserves a senior spot in future teams. Just needs to add some height. White has all the signs of a future Boomer too imo. Will McD-W will be there as well but I'd be including White now. Let's face it, these guys should not make the team anyway so this discussion of possible 15's to 24's on the squad means little for now.

Congrats to all who made that list, the few who couldn't be included (eg Cotton) and the ones just missing out.

Reply #830824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker could definitely be useful as an X Factor. Big upgrade on 10-12 at last World champs. Bolden has been identified as locker room cancer and will be quarantined from our fantastic team of great athletes and patriots.

Reply #830830 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Considering we'll hopefully have better depth at the pg spot (hope delly and his concussion can get sorted) with delly, exum and even mills, simmons and ingles as ball handlers it’s not really a surprise that Sobey isn’t included as he’s more of a scoring 2 guard than a traditional point so he’s not making it ahead of delly, exum or mills. Should he have made the larger squad? Yeah probably, but considering he was only picked at the wc due to being thin at guard depth (and lemanis doing his bullets players a favour along with trying to get as many nbl guys in as possible), which is something we won’t be this time round, it’s honestly not that surprising

Reply #830840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker is a must at FIBA level. He was everywhere against Japan and phillipines.
The fiba game is a lot different to the nba.

Reply #830841 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have great confidence that Goorjian will make the right choices for the team. What he's done with the Hawks has been phenomenal, and his experience and intellect in the game is second to none in Australian basketball. I am more confident in Goorjian than I would have been with Brett Brown.

Whatever team Goorjian picks, I back them 100 percent. If we have the kind of availability we should have, this team is going to be an absolute problem for the world.

Reply #830844 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

My prediction for our squad:

Delly / Giddey
Mills / Goulding
Ingles / Thybulle
Landale / Broekoff
Baynes / Maker

Green / Kay (could replace with Humphries or Magnay)

I'd love Simmons to be in the team but I think he will pull out. I honestly don't think he has a passion for the national team. Saying he's hopeful he can play doesn't fill me with confidence given he said he would play in 2019 and never did.

Exum is in a contract year and perpetually injured. I assume he opts out given the injury he sustained last time with the national team. He won't risk an injury when he has no playing contract.

With no Simmons or Exum and Cotton not being available, we have very little depth at guard. I hope Delly can recover from his concussion in time. I think Giddey can be serviceable as a backup PG. They'll probably need to stagger Delly's and Mills' minutes at PG.

Goulding wins the last man standing award for backup SG but loses his spot if Cotton becomes available.

Kay could be replaced with someone who can play backup C but he did play very well at the FIBA WC.

Reply #830845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have Broekhoff as a pf, what are u smoking?

Reply #830846 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Thybulle is an SG.

C Baynes/Maker
F Landale/Motum/Kay
F Ingles/Broekhoff
G Mills/Thybulle/Goulding
G Delly/Giddey

That's a team of 12 where you’d use a rotation of 8 really. Delly and Mills both PGs, Giddey limited time - Goulding do his normal role. Motum, Kay limited minutes

Reply #830854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thybulle may be listed as a SG, but he can't shoot.

Reply #830868 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's what Broekhoff, Mills, Ingles, Goulding are for

Reply #830869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is simply no love for Daniel Johnson when it comes to the National team. Not saying he'd make the team but is surely squad worthy on the back of his NBL form.

Reply #830870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson and Humphries are a very good combo, I agree.

Reply #830874 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ couldn't defend a traffic cone

Reply #830875 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

Anon - Reply #830823 I don't understand people like you, you made a stupid comment, then you don't want people to react. You need a good thrashing.

Reply #830876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think cotton will get his citizenship reading the latest article.

Reply #830877 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

DJ couldn't defend in under 18s, damn sure can't defend now.

Reply #830878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#876 Oh give me thrashing big boy

Reply #830881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson has shown a lot and his defence this season under a coach that wants defence, has been great. Cooks ain't no great defender or scorer going on Kay’s work on him and yet he’s in the squad even though injured more than most. As I said Humphries and Johnson are a good combo.

Reply #830895 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

"0h GiV3 mE A tHrAshINg B1g b0i" - Karen

Reply #830901 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

I'd pick Duop Reath over all them (Kay, Cooks, Johnson, Humphries).

Reply #830902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks instead of DJ is a crime, at least in the initial squad. DJ as a stretch the floor big would have been ideal at FIBA level, despite his obvious defensive issues. On the other hand, Cooks, even when healthy, has been wildly overrated. Can't shoot outside 5 feet and isn't the great defender some make him out to be. Not an Adelaide fan but feel sorry for DJ on this one.

Reply #830903 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

This is a pretty solid squad with only a couple probably debate worthy.

Daniel Johnson has shown for a long time that he is good enough to at least be in the squad. There must be something that none of us know why he doesn't get selected. (Don't say defence, if it was that bad he wouldn't be on the court dominating the NBL)

DJ Vasljevic, I think, is more ready right now than Josh Giddey. The selection might be based on development for future or some other reason...

Reply #830906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath is a bench player in the aba, that's hardly outstanding, yes to Johnson and Cooks is highly overrated on last seasons performances. Like most sports once you’re in your in and form doesn’t come into it.
Why was the squad picked so early, surely it would have been better waiting till they new who was available, a lot of those selected have not played in months or more.

Reply #830907 | Report this post

Booma  
Years ago

Coming off the bench........... So? Johnson, Humphries and Cooks would all come off the bench behind Kuzmic (and O'Bryant for that matter).

Reply #830909 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A great advert - channel 7 showing Olympics July.
(Kinda missed NBL games. Nothing for a coupla days.
It's always lonely where I am.)

Reply #830912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There must be something that none of us know why he doesn't get selected. (Don't say defence, if it was that bad he wouldn't be on the court dominating the NBL)"

It is defence and nothing else, hence why he has been a top-rate offensive player in the NBL but a below average defender.

Reply #830913 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We know exactly why he was on the outer with the Boomers for many years. PK wrote an article about it back in 2018.

And we know he was right, because when Kickert was suspended after the Philippines brawl, who came into the team? DJ.

Reply #830915 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Imagine trying to get this squad down to 12 let alone manage the minutes during tight games. I've also got more faith in Goorg than BB.

Is it because DJ always looks pissed off that he can't get a guernsey?

You've all picked CG but i reckon his chances with Goorg will be slim just like James Harvey could never impress him.

The way to beat these Euro teams ( & yanks) is length & athleticism.

Simmo will play unless Covid kills off the NBA.

Fun times ahead...

Reply #830916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton and McDowell-White ahead of Sobey, now that's a great selection.

Reply #830958 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If we have good availability, some tough choices to be made. Boomers never looked so strong.

Really hoping Delly's concussion issues get under control, and hope Simmons plays. Great balance at point.

Hunphries form has me confident he'll be a decent back up 5.

Lots of talent and options on the wings and 4 spot. I like it.

Reply #830970 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Chris Goulding showed last night why he's on my main Boomers' team. Outside of Ben Simmons and Patty Mills, there aren't any other Aussies who can just take over a game the way he can. Defensive short comings aside - and even those can be mitigated as shown at the world cup - you need bucket-getters on this team and Chris Goulding has the ability and arrogance to create his own shot from nothing.

Reply #830976 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't like flop artist Goulding.

But I am an advocate for Goulding to do what he did during the World Cup. I am hopeful he can repeat it - he had the toughest job. To not have consistent minutes, to go into the court cold and knock down shots efficiently and straight away. He won’t have the opportunity to have the ball through his hands or take shots to get into rhythm Harden style, he had to get on the floor, and knock down the few shots he gets to take, use the advantage of defence that will underrate him or decide to use him as a trade off to put more defence into a star. If teams decide to "take the hit" from what he does, then punish them. That’s true depth and what makes a good team. Weapons everywhere.

He then needs to annoy the hell out of the opposition whilst in defence, put the effort in to get into their face, surprise them, force the turn over, force the travel etc. Keep them on their toes, make them pay attention, make the game tedious for them, don’t let them relax whilst a star is on the bench.

He did exactly those things in the World Cup - that is peak benchie value-add.

Reply #830982 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

... and what are his good points?
(much as I also am not a fan of CG43, got to respect what he does. Like bury the Bullets last night. Wait, that's my team, no wonder!)

Reply #830983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Australian basketball players had been more on the radar 10 years ago Goulding would have played nba, certainly once vickerman got hold of him and taught him defence. It was all a bit late for him, always loved the way he played.

Reply #830988 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If Broeffhoff doesn't play & Goulding keeps playing like he did last night he should be right. These blokes not playing not helping their chances!

Reply #831003 | Report this post

Kevintaw  
Years ago

Reply #831392 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Unlikely Cotton will be eligible in time so leave him out.

Deng Adel shouldn't be considered.
Neither should Cooks(injured), Thon Maker (No good) and Mitch Creek.
Exum is still injured so wouldn't take him.
For those wanting Jack White his injury has rendered him unavailable anyway.
I assume Reath, Norton and McDowell White are there to make up training numbers.

That would leave 16 remaining in the squad.

Reply #840729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754