Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v Melbourne Feb 5

Brisbun sit mid ladder with a 50/50 win ratio and have yet bend their bananas south of the Coolangatta River this season. They're looking to make it 3 wins in a row at home as they face the team hoping to slide through the season undefeated, Mighty Mal-Borne as my cousin from Nebraska would say.

The Bullets have been in their holster so far this season with a run of home games. The same can't be said for the Big Blue Baggers. Road trips to Adelaide and Cairns have yielded on the road wins and the team even tapped on with their Mykis when Hutchy didn’t have enough room in the Merc for the trip to Bendigo. They are free from free so far and picking up frequent flyer points like an entrepreneur. With 5 players average over 10 ppg and with CG43 getting an average of 4/9 beyond the arc averaging 44%, a cyclone warning has been issued for Nissan Arena tonight. Brisbun look out.

CG43 is the tent pole in Melbourne's circus tent. Like Hamlet, he is the central character in their plays and is very much the key to beating United. Bring down the central tent pole and the tent flops. But who in Brisbane can fire up?

Melbourne will be beaten some time this season, but not tonight, Melbourne in what should be a high scoring game 90 to 80

Topic #48056 | Report this topic

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Why has MEL gone from $1.36 to $1.50?

Reply #830850 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing and went looking for an injury report but there is nothing out there. I assume a player is out?

Reply #830851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe something with Melb having to unexpectedly quarantine when they arrived in Brisbane? Just a guess.

Reply #830856 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Matt hodgson playing tonight?

Reply #830858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kayo thought it was last night

Reply #830859 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Noice, Jack. And especially noice to throw in a subtle reference to CG43 flopping.

Reply #830860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it.

Melbourne by eleven. White on Law might be a good duel.

Reply #830862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane get this. Melbourne ripe for the picking and with Hopson laying a turd each week, have been getting out of jail up until now.

Reply #830864 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Odds coulve been a correction
$1.36 too short for UTD playing in Brisbane

United haven't been super convincing at all. Machado game winning attempt could've won the game for Cairns (1-5) then last week United couldn't put away an SEM team coming back from Perth and missing Pineau and Gibbo.

Reply #830908 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

United to win, since they're going undefeated.

Reply #830926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrison will get absolutely chewed up and spat out by Landale.

Reply #830927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with Hopson?!

Reply #830928 | Report this post

#FreeRiceJnr  
Years ago

No reference to Landale saying MU go unbeaten on his year?

Reply #830929 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Look three posts up.

Reply #830930 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - Dean Vickerman everytime their is some kind of contact on his players 2021

Reply #830931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Harrison is doing very good. Landale hitting threes though..

Reply #830932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson getting paid off by nz to tank, this guy isn't even trying.

Reply #830933 | Report this post

#FreeRiceJnr  
Years ago

Thanks Perthworld just wanted to ensure the narrative continues for 2021.

Reply #830934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale moves on every screen and gets away with it. Sobey got the foul but Landale moving screen should have Copt the foul.

Reply #830937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I really hear Silverchair being played at the game. Oh my.

Reply #830939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne then daylight, Orlando Johnson is big v quality player..

Reply #830943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The final score didn't show how good of a game that was.
Brisbane were in it till just under 3 minutes with several fight backs but United were just too good. Goulding is really turning back the clock and Landale is an absolute beast. We’re so lucky to have him in the league this year

Reply #830947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Froling injured or just struggling to get ahead of Harrison and Hodgson? Maybe not what he expected moving clubs?

Reply #830949 | Report this post

Kassie  
Years ago

There were glimpses of Scotty Hopson brilliance.

Losing Shea li with an ankle is a major blow for Melbourne

Reply #830950 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Really enjoyable game. Sobey in attack mode is a great spectacle. He and Law are a great combo but Cadee struggled to run the point and run the right plays consistently. Froling has regressed significantly, needs to change his game or he'll be passed over. Harrison is already significantly better in my opinion (aggressive inside big v soft outside big). Loved Goulding’s confidence with the 3 ball and the two hand jam was impressive. Hopson starting to show some form while Landale is such a complete, modern big. Has range, runs the floor, good passer and most of all seems a great team guy and winner. Commentary team was very good.

Reply #830952 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

@Isaac, totally agree re Froling. Doesn't look interested. He seems one of those guys who can’t quite control his body language. Noticed his face in one of Lemanis’s time outs, looked like he couldn’t be bothered..

Reply #830953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding should've made the NBA. One of the best shooters in the world.

Reply #830954 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

It's early but top four teams on ladder now looking good for semis imho

Reply #830956 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Cadee 0 assists in 30 minutes running the point. Just not good enough. Seems like the Bullets team isn't correctly structured. I think they need to replace Orlando Johnson with a gun import point, Drimic to play the SF. This would make better use of the Law/Sobey pairing.

Reply #830957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, get rid Orlando for a true point guard, commentator making excuses for Cadee but it wasn't his best night and he should be back up point.

Reply #830959 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I mentioned last week that Brisbane need to move on Orlando, and quickly.

Bullets desperately need a classy PG. I like Cadee, but his best work has been off the bench feasting on second units.

Reply #830960 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Yes, agreed I think Cadee's best role is that 6th man with the license to shoot. He’s got a great stroke when confident but running the point in an aggressive league just isn’t his strength.

Reply #830963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd imagine Shea Ili is out Sunday against Perth, that sprain did not look good. It also looked like Jo got injured?

Reply #830964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic is horrible fooling is lazy and useless

Reply #830966 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ironically Ilis injury worked out because it allowed Hopson to get the ball in his hands and play himself into form

Law was quality but they didn't go to him down the stretch.

Reply #830967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the bullets have a point guard. Cadee is best as a heat check/microwave bench 2. Sobey is best as an aggressive slashing 2. Law is a jump shooter who creates his own shot.

I've always liked Sobey and Cadee, but think they are not used well. I thought Sobey did his best work as a 2 for Adelaide. Cadee has sometimes played as heat check scorer, which has worked really well at times, but he has also been responsible as the 1, in which he has been underwhelming.

Reply #830972 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Lemains now feasts on Adelaides sloppy seconds instead of Cairns. I'd rather see him develop Wigness than playing out of form guys like Froling & Drmic.
Sobey & Law are legit but the rest of the roster has serious holes!

Reply #830973 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Let's see how Hopson plays against Perth before proclaiming he has played himself back into form. His second half was good to watch but his 1st half was atrocious. Perhaps he just needs the green light from the whole team for the next few games.

Was this a unicorn game by Goulding or has this week's Boomers squad announcement got him focussed? he did shoot possibly the worst shot of the season so far! His unpredictability must be so frustrating for his fan base (I have a mild respect for his talent but would rate him more highly if he had less "look at me, look at me" in his game).

Got a baller crush on Jock, even with DJ finally playing as a proper stretch 4, I am in no doubt "the Jock" helps the national men's team selectors sleep better at night knowing they don't have to select DJ.

Sobey has been shooting the lights out, possibly literally, but do people truly believe a gun point guard joining the Bullets will help. Sobey Wan may be better as a 2, but he is so ball dominant I doubt he can co-exist with another star guard. He wants to be the man but doesn't have sufficient commitment to doing what is best for the team, henceforth the Bullets will win some but fall short in many.

Cadee......he's a chucker in the NBL. I had hoped he would be a better player than what he has become as a veteran NBL player. National team Cadee is much more reliable, I actually like that player (as a qualifying games player not Olympics or World cup player!)

The real "Money making Mitch" showed up last night, Boomer squad announcement part 2?

Tyrell Harrison is starting to put it together, "Two-way Tyrell"?

Good game to watch.

Reply #830974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis and development are not two words that go together, so good luck if you think he'll turn Wigness in to something.

Reply #830975 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"Lemanis and development are not two words that go together, so good luck if you think he'll turn Wigness in to something."

Harrison, Magnay and probably Torrey Craig disagree with that.

Reply #831004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Torrey no. He was simply freed from the shackles of Fearne's restrictive system.

Tyrell/Will ok. Anyone else? Two people, not a result to hang your hat on.

How many years have Brisbane been back in the league under Andrej's watch and how many players have digressed / been told to politely leave? The answer will be a multiple of the two players he's developed.

Reply #831006 | Report this post

Kassie  
Years ago

I don't find Goulding unpredictable - and I have been a Melbourne member well before he joined - so have watched d a lot of him play - and I don't find him frustrating. He hits tough shots and when he's on, he would most likely hit that one legged floater from the 3pt line more likely than miss it.

And I don't think he is "look at me, look at me" - its obvious he love the game, loves to have fun out there and gets the whole team rolling - and the crowd too. Love him or not - he's great for the NBL. He's a shooting guard - his job is to score.

I'm a fan.

Reply #831035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lemanis and development are not two words that go together, so good luck if you think he'll turn Wigness in to something."

Harrison, Magnay, Vukona, Abercrombie, Webster, and the devt academy he helped set up in NZ also had a fair bit to do with Tai Webster, Fotu, Delany, Loe etc.

Reply #831046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson's game has also certainly matured significantly under Lemanis, and Sobey is playing at a new level this season too, understanding the game like he hasn't previously in his career.

Reply #831047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson's game hasn’t changed an iota since he transferred from Brisbane’s sister club.

I don’t see anyone denying the turnstile roster and amount of players that have digressed or been asked to leave under Andrej’s watch. Fact is he’s been more bad than good for the Bullets.

Reply #831153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson's game has matured a lot.

Reply #831171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754