Classified
Years ago

Is Lebron James Capable for a 5th MVP

After incredible recent form by Lebron James, he is currently leading the race to the MVP. Even though at the age of 36, Lebron is not going to slow down. A lot of people will think he would get MVP come time of the awards night

Topic #48096 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are 27 games into the season, calm your farm.

Reply #832417 | Report this post

Classified  
Years ago

I know, but LeBron had a extraordinary game last night against the Grizzlies. And i think Lebron is eying the MVP

Reply #832419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LBJ is the greatest, should have been mvp last season.

Reply #832422 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #832427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he wasn't, nor the season before

Reply #832428 | Report this post

Bearcat  
Years ago

Surely it says something about the young talent if lbj is in the discussion

Reply #832436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron should be getting his 7th MVP

Reply #832442 | Report this post

Old man  
Years ago

LeBron should have 10 MVPs. I'm not a massive fan of LeBron but it’s clear to see, every team he leaves is lottery bound and every team he goes to is literally the team to beat. If that’s not Most Valuable I don’t know what is. Giannis doesn’t make his team better and I think if Giannis was 6"4 he wouldn’t even be in the NBA. What LeBron is doing is unheard of. Literally at the top of the NBA for nearly 15 years now and getting better, he’s evolved into a 3 point threat and now has a post up fade away while still averaging 25 7 & 7 playing limited minutes this season.

MJ had the greatest career, LeBron is the greatest PLAYER of all time

Reply #832443 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NBA regular season is Kaka. Low intensity trash.

How many times has Lebron been player of the playoffs.

Reply #832445 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Old man, that's actually a really good point that made me think more about it.

My view is that I'm a bit over this 'Greatest' debate. I think it's a bit of an egotistical American thing, but I accept most people think its a debate worth having.

That's a very clever distinction into the difference that I'd never really considered. In the same way, Giannis might go down as one of the most statistically dominant, but his greatness will depend on how many titles he can lead Milwaukee to.

A couple of things to remember about LeBron though, is that he's had to get his way to be part of championship teams. It's taken a lot of aggressive recruiting and chopping and changing over three different teams for him to help them be successful. I also think there's been occasions in finals where he's failed to stand up in the same way MJ did during simailar moments.

I'm not a LeBron worshiper at all, so I avoid saying things like 'He's won a championship when it was a team effort. Far too much emphasis on him for me.

Reply #832449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defintely should've got Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook’s MVPs. The loss of the Rose MVP was due to 'The Decision’. Westbrook’s MVP was based on averaging a triple double and that’s about it. Standings were mediocre.

Reply #832451 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Based on averaging a triple double? Seems to me to be a pretty good reason.

Reply #832453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to me when you land 6th in regular season standings. Not to take anything away from Westbrook's stat line but that’s all it is.

Reply #832461 | Report this post

Old man  
Years ago

Master Chief you have some good points. I watched the 90s bulls as a teenager and must confess, LeBron has faced a lot harder roads to championship glory than MJ.

MJ faces a total of 9 hall of famers in 6 Finals appearances.
LeBron has faced 26 hall of famers so far.

In the 2018 finals loss against a stacked Warriors lineup, LeBron led both teams in Points, Rebs, Assists, blocks and steals yet we only remember that he choked again.

I have these debates with my mates over the years, MJ was 20 years ahead of his time, but he was lucky to dominate a era where most teams only had one star to contend with. LeBron started the super team era back in Miami and it has been to his detriment as you won't win a title in the NBA unless you have 2 - 3 superstars and other studs sign on for pennies to chase a dream.

We all need to soak up what LeBron is doing now as no 36 year old will ever be as dominant as the King.

Reply #832462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losses a lot of credits the way he flops. Not to mention the carry-on about getting called for fouls.
If he just played............

Reply #832463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My two cents worth.
MVP a possibility but there are a few other strong contenders.

Playing better than anyone else at age 36.

A fifth MVP and another title would enhance GOAT argument.

Reply #832467 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Still early days but since it's Lebron he’ll end up likely in the top 5 anyway, I’d say atm it’s between him and embiid. The way it’s done in the nba it’s typically the best player on one of the top teams in the conference but he’s there’s years where there is an exception eg westbrook. And no to the clown who thinks he should’ve gotten rose’s just stop, rose was the no 1 option on the best team in the league (regular season speaking) which was ahead of the big 3 heat

Reply #832470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree. Lebron outperformed Rose in every stat category. He was the best player in the world and this was during his prime.

Yes bulls had 4 more wins than the heat.

Playoffs don't matter but it was exposed even more so when Lebron matched up on Rose and absolutely clamped him.

Reply #832503 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Lebron didn't become the best player in the world till the next season, he wasn’t even the best player on his team that year (that was wade), as evident by that same playoffs and that regular season. By clamped do you mean the the heat defence entirely focusing on rose (yes Lebron was the primary defender) and because that bulls team was honestly not good at all on offence rose had to do it all by himself (thus leading to lower efficiency) when Lebron still had wade and bosh and a good defensive team in his own right

Reply #832537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GOAT flopper

Reply #832631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree to disagree. To me Lebron was clearly the best player in the world from 2008. 2011 was an extension of that. Wade was good but Lebron was clearly the best player on that Heat team. Lebron was outperforming Wade in every stat category on the defensive and offensive end.

Many just think of 2011 and think of 'The Decision' and the Dallas series and forget how good LBJ was.

Reply #832641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other thing people forget is that LBJ doesn't flog himself in the regular season. He roles along getting just enough done for his team to win and be in a good spot to make a play off run and that is when he turns on the mojo. It's really the reason why he hasn't won MVP for a while because trying to win the title is more important than flogging himself in the regular season and having nothing in the tank for the big dance.

Reply #832644 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Yes Lebron had a very good year but we've seen years where the guy who wins the mvp isn’t necessarily the best player in the league, which Lebron wasn’t anyway (2011 was very odd as you saw rose and Durant really establish themselves along with Kobe on his last legs, the big 3 heat and dirks playoff performances), also it’s not just simple stats if you watched the games wade was the best guy on that team, which ultimately fully showed itself in the playoffs. Rose had to carry a team that wasn’t very good on offence by himself for the most part (still a very good defensive team though) and said team finished better than the heat in the regular season.

But yes to your point anon he does typically pace himself through the season particularly as he gets older however watching him this season it seems he’s putting more effort in

Reply #832692 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Lets kill off the MJ/LeBron debate. thats not what this was about.

James averaging 26-8-8- on 50% shooting on a top 3 team warrants a look at MVP.

Only other guys in the chat based on standings and stats would be Giannis and Embiid, but in terms of "valuable", right now itd be between LeBron, Curry and Giannis one would think. Obviously LeBron has AD as a team mate so its hard to stand on his side when talking MVP, given he has a All NBA first team calibre dude, but AD has been pretty shaky all year despite averaging 22-8-3

for me it is probably Embiid (29-11.5 and 3 assists) on a 1 seed, LeBron and Curry. If Westbrook was an MVP on a 6 seed for sheer value alone judging how bad his team would have been, minus him then Curry has the same argument, though Russ averaged 31-10-10 Curry is on 29-6-6 (still amazing)

Other guys to consider are Jokic (27-12-8.5), Luka (29-9-9) and Lillard (29-4-8), but their teams are idling around .500

Mitchell goes for 24-4-5 on a 22-5 team, but its Utah. They could win 60 out of 72 games and the league wouldnt give him the MVP.
Durant a smoky maybe but surely you cant win one when you have Harden and Irving as your sidekicks

To conclude: yes, LeBron is definitely a very realistic chance at the MVP

Reply #832721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ what that guy said

Reply #832723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron plays better defence than most the other contenders, surely that must be taken into account.

Reply #832725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron is going after scoring record.

Reply #832966 | Report this post

Classified  
Years ago

YEAH he will win MVP for sure

Reply #833067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754