Mystro
Years ago

Breakers new import?

australiabasket.com are reporting that ex Brooklyn Net Norvel Pelle has signed at the Breakers.
The 28yo Lebanese/American Forward is 6.10" and 105kg.

Interesting if NZ have decided to part ways with Iverson and bring in someone more athletic.

I haven't seen any official news or anything else outside of australiabasket.com yet so could be incorrect.

Guess we'll wait & see.

Topic #48105 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Remember when people (included many a Wildcats fan around the time Cotton opted out) said the NBL would have weak talent this year?

Next minute we see Landale, Broekhoff and new 36ers import, potentially new NZ import....

Cannot be said that teams aren't putting $$$ in

Reply #832954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would change the team for the better significantly.

Reply #832955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he an import though having a Lebanese passport. Asian player local?

Reply #832956 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

looking at his highlights they are all blocks at the rim.
looks like Shaun Long size wise and athletically but a stud defender rather than scorer.

Reply #832957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster
Webster
Patterson
Delaney
Pelle

Weeks
Bach/murray
Abercrombie/davidson
Trist/Galloway
Loe

Reply #832959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He literally has no basketball IQ. Dumber then McGee . Can block shots but he will be out of position most of the time

Reply #832960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pelle much better nbl fit.
Trist was a bad signing, they couldn't get Fotu but I would have given more time to both Galloway, a dp and had Samuel as another dp.

Reply #832961 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He was only waived by the Nets yesterday I believe.

Reply #832962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a local, Asian passport.

Reply #832967 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

This season has turned into a dick off between blokes with too much money.

Reply #832968 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Disagree Bolt, teams are loaded with talent but Covid is probably supplying us some bargain signings.
This is unconfirmed and simply rumor at this stage.

Reply #832969 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He only just got waived by the Nets, could be boom or bust, he has all the makings of getting into serious foul trouble by the NBL refs.

Reply #832973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" he has all the makings of getting into serious foul trouble by the NBL refs"

No different to Iverson so no change there.

Reply #832977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People saying it's all bs

Reply #832978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norvel Pelle was waived less than 24hrs ago. Seems like a pretty quick turnaround to already sign the guy?

Reply #832982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pelle has previously been linked to NBL clubs.

Reply #832984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense if Breakers signed a player like this. Iverson has been missing 2-3 bunnies a game and also turning over catchable passes 2-3 times a game. The way Shamir's systems run on the middle on all you need a big who can catch and if finish. Although Ashley would’ve been the right one to bring back from the get go.

Reply #832985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If his strength was rim protection, then if there is 1 NBA team that would need his services that would be the Nets!?

Reply #832986 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Players aren't usually waived by an NBA team and then signed by another team outside the NBA within 24 hours, doesn't even happen within the NBA itself.

Sounds more like a deliberate fake leak by the Breakers to try and fire up Iverson, i.e. if you don't pick it up soon we'll cut you.

Reply #832990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah surprised the Nets let him go. Saw him play some minutes in a game for them last week I think and he looked OK

Reply #832992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers should have re-signed Brandon Ashley from the beginning. Several of their signings this season have been very questionable. They really didn't need to make many changes from last season, that team was as good as anyone in the second half of the season.

Reply #832996 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I've never seen him play but can't be worse than iverson.

Reply #833020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Players aren't usually waived by an NBA team and then signed by another team outside the NBA within 24 hours, doesn't even happen within the NBA itself."

It's almost like there is some link from the Nets organisation to New Zealand? ;-)

Reply #833021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no one knows. How unsurprising.

Reply #833029 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interesting if this guy comes under Asia now that Loe has returned home

Reply #833060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best thing that could happen would be getting pelle and salt over iverson and Loe.

Reply #833061 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lebanon are part of Fiba Asia

Reply #833063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes clearly part of Asia, he should not be an import.

Reply #833065 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Salt over Loe. Best thing.

Yeah nah

Reply #833069 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Looks like he'll need to be an import. China, Philippines, Taiwan, India, South Korea, Singapore and Japan are the countries eligible under the Asian player rule

Reply #833075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't ater majok a local?

Reply #833076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's good to see organisations like NZB plus SEM and ADL be proactive about their issues, unlike a certain other club.

Reply #833077 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Majok had both Australian and Lebanese passports

Reply #833080 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

With Loe departing Australia to be with his family surely NZ will just be looking at local options due to quarantine or will they just run with what they have and suck it up.

Reply #833082 | Report this post

Dr Dre  
Years ago

Could Mika Vukona be an option...??? Currently based on the GC...???

Reply #833084 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

prefer someone under 50

Reply #833089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona. Lol. Why don't yas get Pero as well.

Reply #833092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona would actually keep the Webster in line and make sure they're passing the ball. He'd get on Patterson's arse too and make sure he lost some weight. Would be a smart signing, even if he didn't play much.

Reply #833104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only just under 50, what about Dave Andersen.

Reply #833106 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He'd get on Patterson's arse too and make sure he lost some weight.

Like he did the past couple of seasons when they teammates at the Bullets?

Vukona was a useful role player in the day but those days are long gone he clearly played on a year too long last season when he was a statue, possibly even a couple of seasons too long, the guy is absolutely done.

Reply #833107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pledgehammer

Reply #833108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc said on his podcast the breakers also explored bringing in Brandon Paul to replace Lamar Patterson. So they could be considering a switch of both imports

Reply #833110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Like he did the past couple of seasons when they teammates at the Bullets?"

Exactly. See how Patterson's condition and game improved over the course of each season there. In contrast, there hasn't been much progress during his time with NZ so far.

Reply #833111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the only possible explanation is that Mika was the one who made Patterson get in shape...

Reply #833114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. But if you know Mika, and have seen him operate in a team environment, you would know he holds his teammates to high standards.

Reply #833115 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And he rocked up out of shape BOTH seasons and then played his way into shape during the season as he likely will do with NZB.

Please, Patterson would laugh in Vukona's face.

Reply #833116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one laughs in Vukona's face. I have seen how he leads teams, he is as firm a leader and as respected a leader as I have seen.

Reply #833117 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stop it I realise you're trying to prolong your client's career but he's completely and utterly irrelevant now to the point the Bullets weren't even interested in signing him again.

Reply #833123 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Anonymous
Earlier this week

He literally has no basketball IQ. Dumber then McGee . Can block shots but he will be out of position most of the time

McGee isnt even dumb. Someone just sorta said he was and it got traction. Much like the rumours of Westbrook being a locker room cancer or Jimmy Butler being an asshole.

Reply #833124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Stop it I realise you're trying to prolong your client's career."

I don't have clients, I'm not a lawyer, or social worker, or agent, or any other profession that has clients. You had obviously not thought of the importance of off-court leadership and standard setting in sporting environments, and certainly don't know the impact Vukona has had in that area across his career. The Breakers need that sort of leadership at the moment.

Reply #833127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona is a bit past it.
Had a hell of a career though.

Reply #833131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona is probably a bit past it, no one laughs in his face though, I assure you.

Reply #833135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fake new.....Pelle going to the G league

Reply #833137 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I would prefer Vukona over trist.

Vukona = Mana.

And despite what zodiac says, locker room presence is exactly what the breakers need.

But they also need a decent big.

Reply #833141 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Don't know Vukona well enough to comment on his leadership. I have seen that he is past his playing days.

Couldn't the above disagreement be settled by hiring him but not on the roster. Director on Morale & Focus, perhaps. They did it for their HC (sorry, for their Director of Coaching/Basketball?)!

Reply #833159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Couldn't the above disagreement be settled by hiring him but not on the roster. Director on Morale & Focus, perhaps. They did it for their HC (sorry, for their Director of Coaching/Basketball?)!"

Good idea.

He's still probably a useful training body too.

Even if it's not Pelle, Breakers must be eyeing someone seriously for the past week or so given the situation for Loe.

I feel sorry for Loe. Him and his partner just had their first child around the time the Breakers shifted to Australia. Auckland has since had a short lockdown and this isn't an easy time for anyone.

Reply #833161 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

Canton Charge bound!

Reply #833176 | Report this post

sharod  
Years ago

How about Michael Karena replacing Loe? He is not that athletics but with size and know how to use his body for defense and offense as seen from the NZ NBL.

Reply #833639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754