Mervan
Years ago

Why didn't DJ get NBA interest then or now?

Just asking the question...

Stretch centre

Good with the three

Good IQ

Not athletic

Defence is questionable

A lot of centres already in the nba wouldn't have his skill set.

What am I missing?

Why didn’t he make it?

Love to hear your opinions

Topic #48180 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You answered ur own question in that post...

Reply #835861 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Poor man's Andrea Bargnani, so no

Reply #835862 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There's a reason (or two) why no NBA teams have ever shown a skerrick of interest in DJ.

Reply #835866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is an absolutely talented almost footer, has always got numbers for the Sixers but has won nothing, the Boomers have never been interested and as far as NBA, too late.
Something is missing and those that have watched him for the last decade or so know exactly what that is.

Reply #835874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To play NBA as a big you have to be able to guard the pick and roll. Johnson can't even guard heavy footed bigs in the NBL, there’s your why.

Reply #835883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh love the expert sideline @home coaches.

Reply #835884 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

He didn't have an expert marketer creating a mix tape of him. That's another reason.

Reply #835890 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I would have loved to see what Prime DJ can do in today's NBA.

HE is mobile for his size, used to have a world class rip-through.
He can score from anywhere.
Knows how to draw fouls, hits FT's.

Reply #835894 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Probably should have gone to a American college when he was younger to get more exposure and work on his defence.

Reply #835902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't get go to Pepperdine and barely played so he quit?

Reply #835904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac still salty with DJ - give it a rest champ.

I am sure if DJ went to summer league or played a season in the G League he would get a two way contract or multiple 10 day contracts like Creek. He is better than Adel Deng and others sitting on NBA benches.

Didn't see you complaining about his D yesterday on Nate and Cam Oliver?

Reply #835906 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Because his skills, while unique in the NBL, are a dime a dozen in the NBA. And his weaknesses are too glaring to just cover up. DJ probably could score 10 ppg in the NBA if he had reasonable minutes. But he'd be giving up 20 ppg on the defensive end.

Reply #835911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME you obviously do not watch much NBA but there is not much defensive played so DJ would fit in fine. It is a make or miss league now and DJ would stretch the floor and has better IQ than most. If Thin can make it DJ is superior to him

Reply #835914 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

His bad defence is worse than nba players bad defence

Reply #835915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is too soft for the NBA

Reply #835920 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

As good as the NBL is there is a massive gulf between talent of the leagues. DJ wouldn't make it then or now.

Reply #835921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey DJ, don't play that song - NBA teams

Reply #835928 | Report this post

Ouch  
Years ago

Because they don't pay many soft fouls in the NBA so his ability to score would be severely diminished

Reply #836059 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think you mean, he wouldn't be a star player so he wouldn’t get soft foul calls.
Watch the crap Harden and co get their way compared to role players.

If DJ was in his mid 20s I think a team would give him a chance. Utah could use him, with Gobert helping to cover his poor defence.
But like with most international players not picked in the draft it is all about fit and opportunity.
Ingles was cut by the Clippers with getting a decent chance to show his skills.
There have been many Euro stars player bomb out quickly due to bad fit.

But yeah doubtful any teams are going to bother looking at him now.
Which is unfortunate since with NBA scouts looking at Giddey the other players on the team are getting good exposure.
Could give Humphries another chance or some scout may fall in love with Dech.

Reply #836096 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Can't see DJ's mid-late 2010's prime going well against the crop of old school power C/PFs (ie Howard, Jordan, Horford, Gasols, Gobert, Aldridge) plus the new generation of do it all C/PFs (Jokic, Embiid, KAT) coming up then.
DJ could have been a hit the open, stand still 3, spacer... but being a liability on defense would mean no game time in his prime. Least he had an All-NBL career then that lead to some Euro cash and secure home in Adelaide.

Reply #836110 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Went to Europe for a little while, but didn't get paid,
so, came back here and got paid, eventually. Took a while...

Reply #836123 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Only really left Europe so early because the club he was at wasn't paying the players.

Has been a genuine star for many years in the NBL and I hope he gets the accolades he deserves from the 36ers when he does retire down the track.

As for why no NBA, as others have suggested his lack of physicality in defence is the major one. His size advantage wouldn’t be as noticeable over there either. Also Aussies had to work a lot harder to be noticed when he was younger compared to the young lads coming through now.

Reply #836188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd be a homeless mans Bojan Bogdanovic. And I mean proper homeless.

Reply #836191 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A 2021 DJ would certainly attract NBA. Attention.. ridiculous to suggest otherwise based on blokes like thon maker deng froling getting interests

Reply #836194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754