Anonymous
Years ago

2021 VC Teams

VC Teams have been finalized for U12 to U18 age groups.
Dandenong with the most and improvements from some clubs with a lot of teams now qualified.

10 Teams - Dandenong
9 Teams - Hawthorn, Eltham, Casey, Nunawading, Frankston
8 Teams - Melbourne, Knox
7 Teams - Bulleen, Kilsyth, Keilor, Sandringham
6 Teams - DV, Geelong Utd, McKinnon, Waverley
5 Teams - Ballarat, Camberwell,
4 Teams - Bendigo, Mornington,
3 Teams - Latrobe, Sunbury,
2 Teams - Altona, Coburg, Whittlesea
1 Team - Blackburn, Broadmeadows, Craigieburn, Pakenham, Ringwood, SP

Any surprises here ? I think Casey has done well over the past few years and seem to be putting more in VC every year. Frankston improved from previous years? Ringwood only one ?

Clubs with no teams in VC include:
Bacchus Marsh, Bellarine, Chelsea, Collingwood, Ivanhoe, Doncaster, Keysborough, Melton, Oakleigh, Sherbrooke, Wallan, Warrandyte, Western Port, Werribee/Wyndham

Biggest surprise here would be Werribee/Wyndham with no teams ?

Topic #48266 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any clubs who have 2 or more teams qualified for VC in the same age group?

Reply #838800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston & Dandenong, not sure if anyone else got 2 in the 1 age group

Reply #838807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now this needs to be called out. If you are a parent of a kid playing for a club that has a senior program that plays NBL 1 or Big V state champ but can only manage 1 or even no teams in VC you need to ask questions. They are taking your money and spending in the wrong place. Ringwood for gods sake. NBL 1 and top of big v for years but can only get 1 team in VC. We're all kept up to date with Chelsea. BV need to look at this.

Reply #838811 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No VC teams from Wyndham is very disappointing. Huge population to draw from in a growing area. Casey have done well in an area where population growth is booming.

Nunawading's 18.1 and 18.2 girls both qualified for VC.

Reply #838812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong, Hawthorn, Eltham, Casey, Nunawading & Frankston.
Basically any Club with more than 8, as there's only 8 Divisions.

Some others may have doubled up though.

There's certainly some power clubs through the SE though. Between Knox, Nunawading, Dandenong, Casey & Frankston - all within 45 minutes of each other, in that South East Corridor, around Eastlink, you got 5 of the top 8 clubs (from this list).

It'd be interesting to get a trend of the last few years, and see which clubs are getting more in and those that are getting less. This same list would be interesting to find a correlation to what level the senior teams are in or how they perform.

Going by Senior Rep, Mornington have done extremely well. Never had teams above Div2 or YL2 in seniors, but they've got 4 VC teams this year, and they always seem to have a couple.

Reply #838814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many teams in a Division?

Reply #838819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 I believe. 10 in each conference. So 160 positions up for grabs across both genders and the 4 age groups.

I think U20, is only 10 though. Could be wrong.

Reply #838824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised that Chelsea has zero teams in VC given their spending on DOC over a number of years

Reply #838825 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

VC while the top league for juniors in the state isn't the be all or end and you can't base a programs success on how many VC teams it has, but we do.

Camberwell is batting above its average and Coburg look to have taken a dip considering talent. A lot of these bigger clubs have created some consistent selection and coaching and in short grading phases this counts more than talent.

Reply #838828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

donotreach - Don't disagree with you. Number of VC teams is not the be all and end all, but it's probably the easiest metric to use, don't you think ?

What other parameters would you use to evaluate a clubs progress, or lack thereof ?

Reply #838829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't underestimate the amount that recruiting has played a part in it.

Reply #838839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs are doing much better with their boys programme or their girls programme, but not both.

Reply #838841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be interesting to compare this to the number of kids playing domestically in those associations. I wouldn't have thought McKinnon or Waverley were overly large, so their performances seem pretty impressive. Whoever runs Wyndham should hang their head in shame.

Dandenong look to be doing well on this metric, but they are in steep decline, on the girls side at least. Only 2 u12 girls teams, 12.1's and 14.1's both scraped into VC in the last crossover game.

Reply #838857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Melb Girls seems to go well, but unsure of Melb Boys. Don't seem to be as dominant as they once were.

Reply #838867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't look at just making VC, but rather who is able to make Champ consistently. That and SDP players.

This provides the snapshot on who has the better coaches and better player development overall. McKinnon often making Champ grades is fantastic given their size, but Waverley struggles, especially in the boys, usually around the bottom of reserve.

As for people and recruiting, players don’t leave when they have good coaches.

Reply #838870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#870 - what do you mean 'Make champ' ?
Fair enough with the SDP kids. That'd be a good measurable as well. Like I said, I'd like to see a trend over the past 5 to 10 to 15 years, to see those putting in time to their junior development.

Would enjoy the VJBL to do an NCAA 'ranking' using certain metrics for Associations too. Even if they only did a top 20 to save the lower level clubs some reputation.

I'm sure someone out there in Hoops world considerably better than me at Maths, could figure out a nice formula they could apply. Would be a nice little end of season thing.

Reply #839000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#870 - what do you mean 'Make champ' ?
Fair enough with the SDP kids. That'd be a good measurable as well. Like I said, I'd like to see a trend over the past 5 to 10 to 15 years, to see those putting in time to their junior development.

Would enjoy the VJBL to do an NCAA 'ranking' using certain metrics for Associations too. Even if they only did a top 20 to save the lower level clubs some reputation.

I'm sure someone out there in Hoops world considerably better than me at Maths, could figure out a nice formula they could apply. Would be a nice little end of season thing.

Reply #839001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champ is the top half of VC after the split. When it splits into Champ and Reserve.

Reply #839037 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754