Anonymous
Years ago

Opals to bring back bodysuits

The Opals are bringing back the iconic bodysuits for the Tokyo Olympics.

Seemed like the Twitterazi were outraged and called this sexist, but the players like it and were the ones who wanted to bring it back.

Topic #48304 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

You can't ask to wear uniforms that never existed in the first place, though.

Reply #840122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan, some players have said it use to restrict shooting because they were tight around the shoulders. Maybe some design changes have happened.

Reply #840123 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I do wonder if any of the current crop have actually worn them at all.

Reply #840124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So clearly Ebzery has made the final 12.
Deserves to start at pg, like the WC.
Every other tournament we've had Mitchell start the opals have lost.

Reply #840125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all the opals want to wear this, I can guarantee you that.

Reply #840127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early April fools?

Reply #840128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So pretty much 4/5s of the roster have never played in this uniform type before and you going back to it now because of what nostalgia?

Reply #840129 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Aside from all the "other reasons" the body suits were changed, at the time they said it was all about marketing. Every young fan at the time wanted a Lauren Jackson singlet to collect, not a body suit.

Reply #840132 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If the players like 'em, I like 'em.

Reply #840135 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

It's up to the girls/ladies what they want to wear but from the sidelines I noticed that every girl (wearing a "onesie") would forever be tugging at their thigh-hems. Seemed to be a distraction and certainly whilst adjusting said thigh-hems, your hands aren't ready to play.

I have never(ever) worn one (a onesie) so I wouldn't know.

Reply #840137 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Unlike Luuuc, it seems!

Reply #840138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I do wonder if any of the current crop have actually worn them at all."

What makes you say that

Reply #840139 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The fact that they haven't been in use since before most of them would have been in a position to wear one?

Reply #840141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most girls wear tight skins both upper and lower body, would it not be similar?

Reply #840142 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Finally some good news this week.

It's a yes from me.

Reply #840144 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Start of April fools?

Reply #840148 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

As far as I can tell, most of the twitter 'outrage' consisted of koberulz trying to explain sexism/feminism to the Opals players.

Good work koberulz!

Reply #840168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the Boomers get any say in their uniform design? If not then sexism claims could be warranted.

Reply #840172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not doubt lead by Cambage lol.

Reply #840175 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So what happens if some of the Opals refuse to wear them? (Thinking of Liz in particular)

Reply #840178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After seeing her last Instagram story, I am pretty sure Liz will wear anything.

Reply #840183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As far as I can tell, most of the twitter 'outrage' consisted of koberulz trying to explain sexism/feminism to the Opals players.

Good work koberulz!"

Did you respond to him on Twitter?

Reply #840184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahahaa koberulz is a spud

Reply #840187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/koberulz/status/1377129212511842305

Reply #840189 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It seems that got added into a news article about it. That would explain the number of idiots in my mentions.

Reply #840191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz: This is sexist.
Opals: we wanted to wear them in 2021 Olys and ok'd it.
Koberulz: but in the 90’s no one asked

This is his argument.

Far out Isaac you have some absolute gems on this board

I mean anyone who has "rulz"in their name should be ignored I guess

Reply #840192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume people criticising him here also responded to him on Twitter.

Reply #840194 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The number of people who read "there is no reason for these uniforms to exist" and see "there is no reason for the Opals to wear these uniforms, given that they already exist" is staggering.

Reply #840195 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And for that matter the number of people who read "is there any reason for this?" and see "there is no reason for this". Which apparently includes me now, but the sentence was getting too unwieldy for my previous point.

Reply #840197 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

they were brought in in the 90's in the hopes that they would increase viewership by making the product more appealing to men. This is a backwards step, whether the players have requested it or not.

Reply #840202 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Unlike Luuuc, it seems!

Nope, I haven't worn them either, which is one of many reasons why my opinion doesn't really matter. But this place would be pretty quiet if people who didn't matter stopped throwing their 2 cents in so here I am.

As an Opals fan since before the original bodysuits were being worn, I do have bit of a soft spot for the "iconic" stature that the players are trying to give them. Our only gold medal was won in bodysuits.

With athletic wear in general, skin-tight everything seems to be the way things are atm. Go down to your local popular walking/jogging spot and what women (especially) are wearing now is very different to what they were wearing 10 years ago. So there's limited value in comparisons with the past IMO. Fashion changes.
The only downside I see is if the players don't feel comfortable playing in them.
Feel good = play better.
Given that this change is player-driven it feels pretty safe to assume they don't dislike them.

Reply #840203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They want it like the baggy green, will be used at olympics and WCs from now on.

Reply #840206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean lets be honest, body suits are not the most flattering for a fair few of them so I can see the argument Koberulz is making to put them back in baggy shorts and Jerseys.

Well played KR

Reply #840213 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

c

Reply #840215 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A lot of ridiculous pearl clutching around the non-issue of body suits going on. It's as though they think the big bad patriarchy boogeyman has forced this on the poor, voiceless Opals. No.. that's not what has happened. These sportswomen have made the informed decision to wear the bodysuit because it has history for them. There is PRIDE in wearing that Opals body suit. When they were watching the girls, dreaming Olympic dreams, they pictured themselves in that body suit.

But no, because the body suit is a body suit, and is "tight", I suppose, suddenly questions of sexism arise. For whatever reason Kobe has been on a Twitter campaign to try and pinpoint the sexism, and has failed miserably to do so. When he cant say the current iteration is a reflection of sexism, he goes "well yeah but, the body suit wouldn't exist if not for sexism!" When asked to provide absolutely any evidence that men were behind the original body suit, that women didn't design them, or anything else, he falls miserably short again.

No one is getting a free perve out of the Opal's body suit. Theyre not made to sexually accentuate anything. They're practical for their purpose. And when people argument "but men wouldn't wear that", well... men and women dress differently if you hadn't already noticed. You cant superimpose your expectations of men and women and then act like sexism is the only answer when both don't do the exact same thing. I think women are very comfortable vocalizing their feelings these days. They're not shrinking violets and the times when they might have been are long in the past. If wearing the body suit was upsetting any Opals this year, I would bet my bottom dollar you'd be hearing about it. I don't think they need the likes of KobeRulez to save them and speak for them.

Reply #840216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be scrapped after olympics when they look at shooting percentage.

Reply #840217 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"It will be scrapped after olympics when they look at shooting percentage."

Yeah, because shooting percentage really hurt the Opals every single time they've medalled.... lol.

Reply #840218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incels! Incels everywhere!!!!

Reply #840226 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's as though they think the big bad patriarchy boogeyman has forced this on the poor, voiceless Opals
No it isn't.

When he cant say the current iteration is a reflection of sexism, he goes "well yeah but, the body suit wouldn't exist if not for sexism!"
So...my original argument?

The fact that your Twitter profile picture is "oh noes Ben Simmons whined about racism" says a lot about you as a person.

Reply #840231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Kobe how about you take your trash takes to Twitter and stay there permanently?

Reply #840235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seconded!

Reply #840236 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

This place doesn't really matter because people who don't really matter throw their 2 cents worth in thinking it matters ;).... Having said that, i completely agree with your last comment & with ME's as well. It's sport, it's modern gym/fitness apparel most women now wear, nothing sexist about it. I've had 2 ex's that played WNBL in them & loved wearing them. Even men wear them in other sports like Track & Field so anyone that's crying out 'sexism' it's really just a bra burning feminist still craving attention... That should wind a few up! Hahaaa:)

Reply #840240 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Being disagreed with by people who think "feminist" is an insult makes me all warm and fuzzy.

I remember the NBA tried skin-tight jerseys a few years back, and all the players were very against them. And those weren't one-piece uniforms, either.

Reply #840242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz didn't bring his takes to this thread. Others did so blame them.

Reply #840251 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"Being disagreed with by people who think "feminist" is an insult makes me all warm and fuzzy."

Don't flatter yourself champ. That's not what's happening. At all.

Reply #840265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of players men and women wear skins under their playing singlets. Shooting percentages have also increased over the years especially 3 pt shooting percentages.

Interesting that a group of empowered athletes make a decision on a team uniform and then outsiders feel that their input is irrelevant and that only their own view is the right one.

Reply #840351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't actually understand what Kobe point is. Is it that men and women should never have different uniforms?

Should that extend to normal clothes like bras and skirts then too

Reply #840424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its KR way of getting laid. Relax ppl.

Reply #840466 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not sure Kobe has a point. Classic virtue signalling. If there were any question the girls weren't happy with the uniform, I too would be screwing my face at the decision. But they've asked for it. There is nothing even vaguely revealing about the uniform. The girls actually look formidable in them. Kobe is just trying to pull from the past to find unsubstantiated reasons why this uniform, which women probably invented if we look close enough, is somehow sexist, for god knows what reason.

He then inferred women feeling any need to look feminine is somehow sexist. This inference assumes that masculine dress standards are the 'norm' and that it is the feminine dress choices that are 'otherized'. He pulled some photo out from the 1980s where the girls were wearing some sort of speedos on a baskebtall court. And yeah, it's a bit vexing to see that given today's sensibilities. But if we remember clearly, the boys were wearing short shorts that no one would ever choose to wear today. The world was a very different place in the 1980s. That doesn't mean women wearing those things was anything to do with sexism. I don't think anyone thought seeing particularly butch women in speedos was going to somehow draw the male viewer.

Reply #840472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobes whole stance on this is nonsensical
He probably thinks that Lorna Jane is sexist for making apparel intended for females to wear
He also seems to think that there is no difference between the male and female physique

Reply #840477 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is nothing even vaguely revealing about the uniform.
There's nothing even vaguely revealing about women not being able to vote, either.

Kobe is just trying to pull from the past to find unsubstantiated reasons why this uniform, which women probably invented if we look close enough
Do you think women are incapable of sexism?

He pulled some photo out from the 1980s where the girls were wearing some sort of speedos on a baskebtall court. And yeah, it's a bit vexing to see that given today's sensibilities. But if we remember clearly, the boys were wearing short shorts that no one would ever choose to wear today. The world was a very different place in the 1980s.
The bodysuits didn't come about in a vacuum. Context is important, and those 1980s uniforms are context.

Reply #840564 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"There's nothing even vaguely revealing about women not being able to vote, either."

Oh my god. I cant even. I just cant. Kobe is comparing wilfully wearing body suits to women not having the right to vote like 130 years ago. Holy crap.

"Do you think women are incapable of sexism?"

Now women are sexist to themselves and they need Koberulz to save them. Is this really your mating strategy, Kobe? Just go to the gym and lift some weights. You dont have to be a white knight.

"The bodysuits didn't come about in a vacuum. Context is important, and those 1980s uniforms are context."

Context that the uniforms were in line with the other uniforms they chose to wear in that time - CHOSE TO WEAR. Yeah I am sure some women didn't like them. I also recall Andrew Bogut complaining about the Kings uniform being a bit uncomfortable. Are you saving him from the horrors of sexism too, because if women can be sexist to women, surely men can be sexist to men and design them uncomfortable uniforms?

Reply #840585 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Men and women wear different things by choice, therefore sexism - KobeRulz entire bizarre argument in a nut shell. Someone find him a woman who dresses like a man so he can be happy

Reply #840587 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz in in the news again

Liz Cambage threatens to boycott Olympics over team photo

Australia's biggest women’s basketball star has threatened to abandon the Tokyo Olympics after taking issue with a team photo.
Liz Cambage says she will "sit out" the Tokyo Olympics after taking issue with the athletes chosen to represent Australia in promotional shoots ahead of the Games.

Cambage, 29, who has played for our national women’s basketball team the Opals at the past two Olympics, made the threat on Instagram on Thursday in a series of posts.

She shared two images — one of athletes showing off Australia’s uniform for the Games and another promoting the official underwear sponsor of the team — she said were examples of whitewashing and did not represent the diverse backgrounds of Australia’s athletes.

“If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times, HOW AM I MEANT TO REPRESENT A COUNTRY THAT DOESN’T EVEN REPRESENT ME,” Cambage wrote.

The second image included Indigenous Rugby Sevens player Maurice Longbottom but Cambage wrote: “Also fake tan doesn’t equal diversity.”

Reply #847117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do us all a favour for a drama free games and please boycott

Reply #847119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz Cambage = forever the victim

Reply #847121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh on the indigenous women.

Reply #847122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably deserves its on thread. Saying Maurice is using fake tan is a low blow. Hope they ban her.

Reply #847123 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, spent most of the article thinking it was another beatup about a genuine issue, and then she throws in actual racism of her own? Piss off with that bullshit.

Reply #847125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've defended her on a few of her controversies before but this is just daft. The picture she chose to comment on with #whitewashing features disabled athletes. Can't she be happy for them?

Reply #847127 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Saying Maurice is using fake tan is a low blow

That's putting it very mildly.

Reply #847132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest he is more indigenous than the great garbage

Reply #847135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fake tan , why would say that?

Reply #847136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aoc have gone out of their way to be inclusive in those photos. Maurice got to wear a special indigenous designed outfit. Equal number of men and women. Disabled and abled body athletes. Different sports. I think they would have asked Liz to appear if she was actually in the country and not travelling around States and Caribbean Islands.
At the last World cup she caused drama, at the comm games she caused drama. She just loves the drama and attention and really couldn't care less about a her opals or australian olympic team members.

Reply #847140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be a music festival on at the same time....

Seriously though, if you wanted to make a difference here, I would
Think you would take the effort to make your self available to participate in the promotional photo shoots.

Reply #847142 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seriously though, if you wanted to make a difference here, I would
Think you would take the effort to make your self available to participate in the promotional photo shoots.
Why is it her job to make sure minorities are included?

Reply #847145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'd suggest he is more indigenous than the great garbage"

Has she ever claimed to be indigenous?

Reply #847148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754