Anonymous
Years ago

Heal commentating Kings games?

Just noticed watching the first quarter of the Kings-Phoenix game that Heal has offered a fair bit of praise to the Kings, then remembered he is now part of that organisation.

Should he really be calling Kings games, or is there a conflict of interest there?

Topic #48348 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Conflict of interest based on?

Reply #841914 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Eddie Maguire commentated on Collingwood games.
No issue.

Reply #841916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on being employed by the Kings organisation
It is also a conflict of interest for the success of the broadcast for it to include a flog of a person but that is for a separate discussion

Reply #841917 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's so unprofessional. For those who are unaware Heal is employed by TSE now as their WNBL coach, the owner of both the Sydney Kings and Flames.

Reply #841919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can call their games, but listeners just have to remember the Kings pay him and interpret his comments accordingly. I'd bank on needing a lot of grains of salt handy when he calls them.

Reply #841922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be nothing, but just given his prior history of fraud charges etc I can't help but think it is a little shady.

Reply #841924 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The NBL have an abundance of crap commentators .

Reply #841928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most commentators, especially ex players, have some sort of affiliation to a club in all sports. They are there for entertainment purposes and 'conflict of interest' isn’t a thing, a non issue here.

Reply #841941 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Affiliation is different to employment.

Reply #841942 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Based on being employed by the Kings organisation
It is also a conflict of interest for the success of the broadcast for it to include a flog of a person but that is for a separate discussion"

It really should come under the "Bringing the NBL into disrepute" category.

Reply #841943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As mentioned previously, McGuire was 'employed' as president of Collingwood and commentated their games many times. Non issue.
I would say Heal’s conflict of interest to Kings is no greater than Redhage or Martins affiliation to Wildcats and they both commentate Cats games, albeit sideline commentators.
It is just commentating after all, it’s not like they are refereeing or doing video reviews.

Reply #841946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. It was an issue for most AFL fans when Eddie did it
2. Another sport doing something stupid is not a reason for the NBL to do it

Reply #841947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal. Why do people care

Reply #841949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see a huge issue. It's just commentary and a commercial decision by the broadcast partner or league

Reply #841961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He loves talking up his players as well, the way he described Weeks the other night was hilarious and Weeks proved it on the court.

Reply #841965 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't have an issue with Heal/Gaze commentating any games whether it be Sydney or Melbourne

Reply #841967 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

No issue here.

Reply #841969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Heal can't comment on any team he has been involved with? Lunacy.

Reply #841971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That isn't what OP said.

Reply #841974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contracted til nbl seasons end.
No big deal.

Reply #841989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was some commentary earlier in the year in AFL by Luke Darcy of a Western Bulldogs game. Darcy is a former Bulldogs player but also a current board member of the club.

Melbourne United owner Craig Hutchison said:

"Footy Classified host, Craig Hutchison also admitted that he found Darcy's call "jarring" and understood the frustrations of viewers - particularly those who support West Coast.

"I have a liberal view it adds to the pageantry of the game if your team's not involved," he said.

“If you were barracking for West Coast yesterday it was a little jarring. But if you were a neutral it was interesting to watch Luke try and (control his emotions).”

Reply #841999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats where you are wrong.

Heals fav team is $$$$

Reply #842037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is just a rubbish commentator no matter which team he is calling.

To be able to
To be able to
To be able to
To be able to

And so on and so on.

Reply #842038 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't like Heal, but its not like he's reffing the games. Its completely up to the broadcast team to decide if they are ok with some bias etc. And with some fo the guys they have in the booth, its clear they're fine with anything.

Reply #842039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is clearly the worst.

Anyone watch last night cheering for Oliver?
Yelling every play?

Heal has his bias and is still wayyyyyy ahead of homicide.

Reply #842041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Thats where you are wrong.

Heals fav team is $$$$"

Yes that's what we're saying, he's an employee of Paul Smith these days so it's in his best interests to say complimentary things about the Kings

Reply #842043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anyone watch last night cheering for Oliver?
Yelling every play?"

Yeah he even said down the stretch that he wanted Cairns to win

Reply #842044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My favourite Heal commentary moment was when Jerai Grant was an import for Sydney, son of Harvey, who was well known as a decent NBA player and identical twin of Horace Grant.
The other commentator was providing a backs story
Heal was perplexed , 'Horace Grant has a twin?!?!'
Made some comment about how awkward would be when your twin was an nba all time great and the other was a nobody. Then had to be filled in that Harvey Grant was a decent NBA player himself.
‘Never heard of him’
Other commentator made a comment a long the lines of
‘Great to see you’re taking this job seriously and doing your research’

Reply #842047 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who was the other commentator? I can't remember who but that moment really defined Heal's lack of professionalism.

Reply #842056 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I think I know who #038 is.

Reply #842061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's really no different then listening to the NBA home team broadcasts. Plus he’s been talking up his clients and mates since he got behind the mic, and this just in, Harry Froling still hasn’t made the NBA.

Reply #842092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Heal isn't employed as a Kings commentators. He's employed by the league.

At the end of the day, his obvious bias is annoying and unprofessional but there is no conflict of interest because there is no benefit for him to be gained by talking certain players up or down.

Reply #842093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have local commentary teams in each stadium, Matt mcquade is a good caller and never gets a shot. Perth commentators call Perth, Brisbane call Brisbane and so on, simple and on site, no travel costs.

Reply #842096 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't have any particular dislike for Heal, he clearly has his favourites, his biases and his dislikes.

One of my favourites is saying in 2018/19 that Wildcats won't win the Championship without a third import and Terrico White won't have an impact in the GF as he did in the SF against Brisbane.

As long as you know that, you can accept his commentary. He does have good basketball knowledge and a higher IQ for the game.

In fact I've never had an issue with Brad Rosen, or James Harvey either....I don't mind the connection to the Kings.

Reply #842101 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Except Heal isn't employed as a Kings commentators. He's employed by the league.

I think people are missing this. Now being employed by the Kings too doesn't mean much but it's funny how we overlook the fact all of the commentators work for NBL Media and are thus employed by the NBL.

People complain about Homicide hyping up this guy or that guy but that's his job he's a glorified hype man, they're all employed by the NBL to talk up the NBL that's why you have guys like Liam Santamaria describing Tom Vodanovich as a 'great' replacement for Xavier Cooks when the guy is averaging like 3 and 2. On no planet is that a great replacement for a Boomer.

Gaze and Heal sit they're hyping up a chucker like Jason Cadee every game it's sickening how much love he gets despite how crap he is but they're looking after their mates kid a bit like Heal with the Froling's.

They're all paid to talk NBL guys up at all times who cares if Heal is now also a Kings employee?

Reply #842103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking after their mates kid who probably made it ahead of more deserving kids that did not know anyone. Such is life.

Reply #842104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yet Cadee us in the league year after year. Must have his merits.

Said it before, but I like Heal as a commentator. Really don't care who he works for or favours. Gaze as a commentator feels like family as an NBL fan - good balance of knowledge and enthusiasm. Homicide I would selectively mute if I could. Almost barely watch games these days because of the risk of coming across his commentary.

Reply #842137 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Homicide hasn't been around nearly as much this year.

Santamaria is excellent, but not for the casual fan.
Gaze has the knowledge to go with Santamaria, but can also slip towards the Homicide end of the spectrum at times.
Hooley is also knowledgeable and works well with either of the above.
Heal understands the game, but doesn't put in the effort. There was a review for act of shooting the other night, and Heal thought it was a review for out of bounds and was outraged when the Hawks got a baseline inbound because they'd clearly touched it last.
Homicide is trash.

Two of Gaze, Hooley and Santamaria should call every game.

Reply #842138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, oh so true, any of those three. Keep Luke away from the call as well, that Jack bloke is best.

Reply #842144 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Luke is nonetheless better than any of the alternatives, and one assumes Heverin can't do every game.

Reply #842145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually agree with KR!

Homicide is fkin trash and makes the league look like a circus

Reply #842149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heverin is decent but a bit bland. I do miss a little bit of Dwayne Russell mixed in for some excitement.

I'd rather have Homicide on a call than Heal. Heal feels very obnoxious.

Reply #842170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal pumping up the Kings incessantly again in the Hawks v Kings pre game

Reply #844857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know!

Reply #844896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754