Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Understanding the Jack McVeigh beef

McVeigh seems a great spark plug who is getting better by the game, to me anyway. I don't pay a tonne of attention to the Sixers.

Why does he get a negative rap here? What are his deficiencies?

Topic #48363 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you watch the second half of the game? Him getting hot in the 1st quarter was a poison pill.

Reply #842673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well there you go you have it. He's a "poison pill" You asked. You got it. Close thread now.

Reply #842674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's has improved a lot and every time you think he could be a good player it’s backwards again. His defence is not great, he can make a shot but then thinks it’s his right to shoot every shot from anywhere. Low iq player, should be played bench minutes.

Reply #842676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"poison pill"

Reply #842677 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Used to overly get hyped up, makes a layup, flexes all while the 36ers are down 15pts. I don't mind him as a player, but he's taken on the hot headedness that Joey Wright instilled in his players. Look at Creek and Sobey, they don't carry on since they left the 36ers and I don't think Froling does any more either. He took on the 36ers culture and has rolled with it.

Reply #842684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Poison Pill"

Reply #842687 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

McVeigh has always been a headcase, in college he'd do the same things he does now such as flexing after making a normal shot and going from hot to cold within a game until he eventually got relegated to the bench permanently.

During his NBL rookie season there was a story on one of the telecasts about how he demolished a wall at his parent's house as a kid simply due to anger. I can't remember the exact details but I'm sure someone else remembers the details better. Psycho.

Reply #842688 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Get of Mcvay back. He carried the Sixers better than uber delivery bike riders back pack...macca Mcvay has done himself proud. Much improved. Ain't no star but shit puts in. Earns his pay does Mcvay.. far better player than I at spelling.. it's love at first hoop with jumpin Jack McVay .. sure can play.. who else remotely gives as much as he does... no one simply no.one...

Reply #842689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just a "poison pill." Nothing much else to add.

Reply #842690 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Some idiots can't spell.

Reply #842702 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

just like some idiots can!

Reply #842709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause I think he's a good player who still got some room to improve but I think that Joey wasn’t the right coach for him. I think if he wants to get better he will need to leave Adelaide.

Reply #842713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll come back to NBL1 thinking he's "the man" and ruffle feathers within the team. Can Deano control the team and keep them focused is the issue. I don't see them advancing above bottom 4.

Reply #842718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pill poison.

Reply #842732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pillon pois

Reply #842733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pilule de poison

Reply #842737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pulled pork

Reply #842738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, shit comment. Who do you think you are? Coming on here labelling people as if your shit doesn't stink! Classic keyboard warrior!

Reply #842747 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Because he's a bit different, shows emotion and isn’t vanilla enough for some.
Poison pill - give me a spell.

Reply #842751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McBeef

Reply #842771 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

McVeigh is worth keeping, he is still developing his game.

He has a decent 3pter now as well as a fadeaway.

He can be hot and cold, you cannot chastise him for the coldness when we embrace him being hot earlier on in the game.

Reply #842774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's certainly worth keeping but not on starting coin, his defence has to improve a lot and shot selection as well.

Reply #842782 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He would be better off learning under a coach likely to last a few years than one fighting to survive.

Reply #842811 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I think some have a big misunderstanding because of what they see on tv. Jack uses emotion to get him going, and keep him on his toes. He talks trash hoping to get a bite so it puts him in the contest. It is his way of playing. Some people sit still and listen to music. Some people stretch. Some people tell jokes. Jack yaps his mouth. He would probably talk to a brick wall if nobody was around.
Jack is a player you want in your squad. High energy, team orientated. Puts in the extra work. Eager to learn. Someone who can average 15 and 5. Can hit 3pt and finish inside. Still a lot to learn but will continue to improve with experience. As his body matures he will become a very good basketballer at NBL level. Definitely worth keeping.

Reply #842821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if his trash talk becomes detrimental to the team?

Reply #842822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering jack talked himself up when he signed with Sixers, his words, stepping stone to the nba, I can see the frustration from hoops punters. He certainly offers some good things and is still young, so time will tell. Got improve in areas though.

Reply #842847 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

McVeigh will get looked after by another club next year.

Reply #842858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is definitely not even in the ballpark of a deal with NBA or G League.

Reply #842883 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Aren't all ex-36ers required to go through Bullets' roster before looking elsewhere?

Home away from....

Reply #842885 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

The hate is too much. He's been putting during a season where others haven’t.

Definitely not the most talented but can’t underrate his energy and desire to perform.

Reply #842892 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He is definitely not even in the ballpark of a deal with NBA or G League.

He might not be NBA quality but definitely could play in the G-League. WMW just spent a few years there and McVeigh's a better player than him.

Reply #842897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Adel played g league, it's not that high a bar.

Reply #842907 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

McVeigh ceiling is fringe starter or 6th man.

Reply #842909 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

@Zodiac " WMW just spent a few years there and McVeigh's a better player than him."

I'd argue WMW is far superior to McVeigh based on the sample this season. WMW can certainly run an offence, strong on defence and has an improving three ball. McVeigh looked like he could step up a few seasons ago but really hasn’t improved significantly and is still inconsistency IMO.

Reply #843044 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

*inconsistent.

Reply #843045 | Report this post

Oberon 88  
Years ago

Sorry to hijack this post. Not sure where else to ask. Can someone please tell me the name of the song that's always played at the start, just as the players run out onto the court? Thanks in advance.

Reply #844132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754