Red74
Years ago

NBL1-West Round 1 Mens preview and predictions

FRIDAY
WOLVES v EAGLES
Eagles return with the same squad from WWC 2020 with the exception of arguably their best player in Shaq Maharaj who has moved to NBL1-South. Wolves, once again return full of fire-power. Jonathon Wade, an American married to an Aussie was sitting over in Melbourne when Coach Summerville placed the call and got him over. Joel Vaiangina is back after an aborted 2020 season as well as the core group from the last 5-6 years. This aint gonna be pretty.
Wolves by 40.

MAGIC v SLAMMERS
Mandurah have lost Tom Atkinson to the Giants after a breakout WWC in 2020, however gain Brian BC Carwell along with the returning Ben Smith and Jerami Grace. With the WWC under the belts of the youngsters coming through at the Magic, lets hope Coach Trahair's team has a marked improvement and sets his sights on the playoffs. As with the Womens team there are only a handful of players on the roster tracker for the Slammers and unless Wortho and Fitch pull on the jerserys and wind back the clock, this will be a LONG season.
Magic by 20.

COUGARS v FLAMES
As with the womens team, the Cougars have loaded up in 2021. In comes Josh Hunt, Nic Pozoglou and the rumoured signing of Travers. If he has signed, I would imagine we wont see him until June/July at the earliest. Coach Petrik has loaded up with the return of Hire, Godfrey as well as the signing of the "Bassendean Bully" Tom Jervis and Hussey. Hoops.com rumors have said that Hussey is stuck in the USA with his wife and wont be returning. A big loss considering Jervis wont play until June/July and Hire will pop in and out as he balances his great work at “A Stitch in Time” charity.
Cougars too strong and win by 20.

SENATORS v REDBACKS
Senators are one of the luck teams with their import still in the country in Justin King. The usual suspects return led by Cody Ellis after their 2020 WWC Championship. Coach CJ returns for season 2 at Spiderland and have added Louis Timms from Kalamunda and his son Denzel Jackson from College. Marshall Nelson is still overseas earning a living and wont be back any time soon. This should be a good up-tempo game and close at the end. Im giving it to the home team.
Senators by 4.

SATURDAY
SLAMMERS v SENATORS
Senators to go 2-0 by the end of the night. Nuff said.

EAGLES v MAGIC
Magic will be 2-0 by the end of the night. Nuff said.

TIGERS v LIGHTNING
Coach Nener reportedly has the Tigers purring nicely while adding Michael Vigor after the loss of Lewis Thomas to the Hawks. The Lightnings 2 imports haven’t left Australia since the end of WWC in Bowie and Isenbarger and have the returning Armour from injury. With Shervill to return after Wildcats commitments, it would be expected that this group will push deep into the finals.
Tonight, Lakeside will win with the run and gun 3 point shooting imports.
Lakeside by 14.

GIANTS v HAWKS
Giants are, in my opinion, a dark horse for the Championship. Adding Atkinson, Pesava, Kuany, H Cummings and Creek they run deep and expectations should be high out on Hay St. The usual suspects return to Bendat along with Wildcats DP and former Lakeside Lightning player Andrew Ferguson along with Lewis Thomas from Willo. With these two additions Coach Parsons gets rim protection that he has been missing for years and front court help to the evergreen Purser. However, they don’t run as deep on the bench as the Giants.
Giants at home to win by 14.

Topic #48365 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Reply #842734 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Maharaj wasn't arguably their best lol easily their best and he has gone to NBL1 Central

Lakeside vs Willetton the match of the round I think with so many friends, ex team mates suiting up

Glossop out

Reply #842756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point.

garbellini was at lightning
Shervil a tigers junior left for lakeside
Armour a tigers junior at lakeside
Bowie was at tigers
vigor was at lakeside

Reply #842765 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Damien Scott and Michael Vigor great friends with Kyle Armour as well

Glossop out

Reply #842783 | Report this post

Jaydee  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm if Tom Parkinson is back playing for Lakeside?

Reply #843026 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

The online stream worked for the women's game but not now for the men’s game.. any reason?

Reply #843034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant even get live stats or score for nbl1 west
Pathetic

Reply #843035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Promises promises and no delivery so disappointing

Reply #843037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now we see why clubs were apprehensive as a group to the nbl1's big time promises.

No commercial sponsorships delivered

After having bigV as a guinea pig for live stats and streaming still can’t be ready for round 1.

Reply #843039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure what you guys are on about been working fine (believe technical issues throughout the first half of mens) ive watched all 4 games in the second half and box scores have been up from the start

Reply #843051 | Report this post

The Insider  
Years ago

First thoughts on the men after opening night....

SENATORS 88 def REDBACKS 58
The Senators starting-5 are as good as any team, and the pre-season predictions of a top-4 finish are on the money. But with only one bench player troubling the scorers tonight (despite plenty of garbage time), their bench could be their Achilles heel.

Redbacks were very ordinary and missing a host of players. They took a punt on getting White and Nelson back in the country and that looks like it will backfire on them. Could struggle to make the top-8.

WOLVES 99 def EAGLES 57
The Wolves are a top-4 team but their big win was more around the Eagles being very bad, more so than the Wolves being very good. Their import didn't play tonight but wouldn't have been needed.

The Eagles were woeful tonight, and could only manage 57 points and just 23 in the second half. With nobody of note to come into their team, they will be at the foot of the standings with the Slammers.

FLAMES 86 def COUGARS 72
With no Hussey, Hire or Jervis, I picked a Flames loss tonight against an up-and-coming Cockburn team playing at home. But Rocko were the surprise of the night and Riak looks like a very good pick-up for them.

Disappointing was the one word to describe the Cougars. Outside of the run-of-the-mill 30pt game from Gavin Field, they had nothing else. Prized recruit Pozoglou being next best with 10 points. Where were Chan and Holmes?

MAGIC 89 def SLAMMERS 67
Certainly nothing to write home about the quality in the first half, though Mandurah got better as the game went on. They're a big team who will surprise some people. Ex Darwin import Fred Williams looks like a good pick-up, and his backcourt combination with Grace complements their bigs. Could push for a top-8 spot.

To the Slammers credit, they stayed with Mandurah for most of the game, despite suiting up a very young and inexperienced group of Bunbury lads. With no recruits on the horizon, it will be a long year for them, though they showed plenty of ticker tonight.

Reply #843059 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rather than complain - a number of clubs need to step up and use the resources at their disposal.

Reply #843079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shervill playing from round 1

Reply #843229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers up by 20 odd most of fourth before a few late junk points.
Rumoured another big man coming out of college to bolster their front court. Well rounded side and played at much faster pace than seen in previous years.

Reply #843230 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A DP is a DP

Tigers are middle of the pack once again

Reply #843236 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Shervill was able to play due to Wildcats being home. He will miss some games.

Reply #843242 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Roosevelt Williams for rookie of the year easily, loved working with him, a great kid and great attitude, just like all my athletes, anyone who wants to elevate their game just like him come speak to me

Glossop out

Reply #843757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't tell if this is satire of glossop or actually him

Reply #843758 | Report this post

Ian Yong  
Years ago

that is old glossy boi alrite

Reply #843760 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Let's hope the games are back this week, I need to see all my elite athletes in action, we have been puttin in that work at Unios, its a private court I have.

Glossop out.

Reply #845241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, still none the wiser of a piss take or not

Reply #845243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gee things are slow now that Etto and Lako are out of the picture.

Reply #845264 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All the games this weekend being canceled hasn't helped, to be fair.

Seems like Saturday is planned to go ahead at this stage, with some of Friday's fixtures being moved as well.

Reply #845304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never heard of Jordan Glossop until I saw his name on the forum.
He must be insignificant, I live in WA.

Reply #845310 | Report this post

jordan glossop  
Years ago

Another hater appears, trust me I have plenty, everyone is jealous of my work, my athletes, my runs, my brain and now even my body.

We out here puttin in that work and gettin it.

Glossop out.

Reply #845334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoying the radio show but a suggestion if they read this.. can you stop playing music while the hosts/guests are speaking please

Reply #845347 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree the background music it makes it very difficult to listen to

Reply #845357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754