RobT
Years ago

NBL 1st Five.

Getting so close to end of reg season that I th0ught we should be nominating our choices for the NBL 1st Five. My 1st Five would prob include 10 to 15 current players, so my choices are useless.

Remember, that the NBL 1st Five are the 5 best players in their own positions (not necessarily the best team).

I would be keen to see both teams discussed (best players v best team).

I will start, but bound to change with each game played.

PG: Harvey
SC: Cotton
SF: Patterson
PF: Landale
C: Jawai

Reckon that the PG, SG, & PF will be fairly well supported. Not so with my (current) choices for the SF & C.

I am a Brisbane fan so know how well Patterson can play the SF. Surrounded by the others in "my" team, Patterson would be a lock, IMO.

As for Jawai, IMO, he and Iverson are quintessential centres. In Oliver's absence, Nate has been awesome in that role. I know that he can get beat in games but game-in, game-out, he performs very well. Once again, surrounded by the others above, Nate patrolling the paint, Landale stretching the 4 to all over the court, to an inside presence (beside Jawai) that would make the Paint impenetrable.

Now I know that some of my choices will change and I also know that your opinions will have a say in my Best Team. I honestly don't expect Patterson and Jawai in any NBL 1st Five but that's the Best Team that I like now.

who are in yours?

Topic #48601 | Report this topic

Bolt  
Years ago

Yep, Fatterson & Jawai definitely warrant first team selection. Head and shoulders above the other players at their position.

Jawai clearly better than Mooney, although Mooney may get MVP it's only because he plays for Perf. Landale has played exclusively at the five all season but we can slide him over to accomodate Nate. Has to be done.

As for Fatterson, he was unstoppable in NZ and only improved when he arrived in Brisbane. Some will argue for Creek but his team is atrocious and he’s overrated. His first eight games were especially dreadful.

One things for sure, Nate and Lamar will be going to sizzler post awards night and rightfully so.

Reply #849403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai has bee good but first team, lmao.

Harvey
Cotton
Abercrombie
Delaney
Mooney.

Reply #849408 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Haha, I hope that was just a solid troll attempt RobT, because no one can be so blind as to put Patterson and NatWest over Creek and Mooney.

McCarron
Cotton
Creek
Landale
Mooney

McCarron is the only spot up for grabs with Harvey, sobey and Giddey fighting for it.

Reply #849412 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Nate*

Reply #849413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey
Cotton
Sobey
Creek
Mooney

Ware
Goulding
Delaney
Martin
Landale

Reply #849416 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agreed with Brad Rosen's team he mentioned during the game yesterday which from memory was:

Cotton
Harvey
Sobey
Mooney
Landale

Smoky: Josh Giddey

But unlike Rosen I don't think Giddey is much of a chance to make the First Team you can't pick him ahead of Cotton or Harvey.

Reply #849418 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think this is absolutely the hardest pick this season. There's a lot of good players who are going to miss out.

McCarron
Cotton
Creek
Landale
Mooney

Smokies: Sobey - how is he not there? Harvey, CG43, Finn Delany, Webster(s), Ware, Jarell Martin

2nd team inclusions: Oliver (short season); Giddey, Humphries, Abba

Outsiders: Daniel Johnson, Machado (ups and downs) Majok Deng, Blanchfield, Adnam, Didi Louzada

I think it would be hard to put together a "Scream Team" this season

Reply #849419 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can't believe there are people leaving Sobey out of the first team he's the likely league MVP, IMO.

Reply #849421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Can creek be in it despite his absence? How long is too long?

Sobey and Cotton are musts. Creek SF, Mooney in there, Landale to round it out.

Reply #849422 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Cotton, Mooney and Sobey are locks. The other two positions are up for grabs...

I agree with Zodiac:

PG: Cotton
SG: Harvey
SF: Sobey
PF: Mooney
C: Landale

Reply #849425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton
Sobey
???
Mooney
Landale

That fifth spot is interesting - Creek, Delany, Harvey, Ware? Vic Law was on track for it before he got injured, but certainly four good candidates I can think of.

Reply #849426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what universe has Jawai been better this season than Mooney? 17pts and 11 boards vs 8 and 3.

Reply #849427 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are we talking about the All-NBL teams, or is this just a "best player at each position" thing? Because that's not how the All-NBL teams work.

Reply #849429 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The OP even had Patterson in there who's been disgusting all season and will likely never play in the NBL again.

Jawai has been very good of late but it's on the worst team in the league and the only reason he's back starting now is because Oliver left. Jawai produced next to nothing in the first 1/3 of the season.

Reply #849431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Bolt has made a statement that is probably the stupidest of all time on Hoops.

Reply #849432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain why everyone thinks Sobey is a lock, how is his team performing, very average. It's easy to look good on a team where it’s all about you. Law was what kept Brisbane going till his injury.

Reply #849433 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Sobey
Cotton
Delaney
Landale
Mooney

If Delaney cannot be considered a SF then Creek.

LOL at Patterson, Jawai and Abercrombie being suggested for the 1st team. None of these would be considered for the 2nd team either.

Reply #849438 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

What, you don't like Sizzler? #sizzlerism

Reply #849443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie is an absolute gun, he is one off a few players that's great at both ends of the floor.

Reply #849447 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Thanks Jack Toft, another reason to like what you write. You named some (a lot) of the players I found difficult to leave out too.

Zodiac, please, when you want to disagree with something someone writes here, try to understand the context of what is being said.

As a glaring example, this, from you (Z): The OP even had Patterson in there who's been disgusting all season and will likely never play in the NBL again.

Assuming I am that OP, I wrote, "I am a Brisbane fan so know how well Patterson can play the SF. Surrounded by the others in "my" team, Patterson would be a lock, IMO."

In Patterson's defence he had successive seasons in the 1st five, then was recruited by NZ where there was no "fit". Yeah, he was dreadful. After returning to where he should have been all along, he has slowly (I admit), once again, shown what he is capable of. Now put that, "what he is capable of" along with the other 4 1st-team selections (whoever those 4 are).

You (foolishly) continue with: "Jawai has been very good of late but it's on the worst team in the league and the only reason he's back starting now is because Oliver left. Jawai produced next to nothing in the first 1/3 of the season.

Well, Yes, but once again, CONTEXT. In the Cairns team, I would start Oliver before Jawai only for what else he can do that Jawai can't, stamina, moves, the 3 pointer, which no-one else on THAT cairns team could match. Plenty of players who can, and do, on "my" team. And just so that you are as vulnerable as I am, Who would be your replacements at the 3 and 5?

Which part of my statement is your crit aimed at? Cerainly not all of it. Only selected words that idiots can change to anything they want.

Zodiac, you should enter politics but only on the opposition bench where their one aim in life is to say, "No". I call them "Abominable no-men". You would be perfect.

I really don't mind different opinions, in fact, I search for them. But don't shit in my face if I don't agree with you (or in this case, you don't agree with me). You do have good posts as well. Stick to them.

to all, thanks for the different suggestions, keep them coming.

Reply #849458 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Zodiac, please, when you want to disagree with something someone writes here, try to understand the context of what is being said.

I think he is though.

I think we are all assuming "NBL 1st Five" is based on what they have delivered this season, like an "NBL All-First Team" award would.

Based on that, if someone is historically a brilliant player but injured most of the season, you wouldn't include that person in the "NBL 1st Five". Similarly if the person just simply hasn't performed well this year, you wouldn't include them in the "NBL 1st Five".

recruited by NZ where there was no "fit". Yeah, he was dreadful

That in itself, would be "hasn't performed well this year" and therefore not in the NBL 1st Five.

Humphries I think most would agree was injured for too long to warrant it. Creeks' absence begs a question whether he should be included. I would be inclined to think he has played enough that we could throw him into the team.

I really don't mind different opinions, in fact, I search for them. But don't shit in my face if I don't agree with you (or in this case, you don't agree with me).

I think you have reached peak-over-reaction with that post.

It kinda looks like you do mind a different opinion. Like, really really do mind.

Reply #849462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey
Cotton
Deleny
Landale
Mooney

Giddey very unlucky
Creek too many quiet games

Reply #849464 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

RobT, I don't know what your deal is but I don't really understand your diatribe at all. I also don't need to hear lessons on Hoops etiquette from a new guy who has been a fraction of the time I have and when I never even remotely attacked your post.

Referring to you as the OP (original poster) is common place on forums especially when it's someone who hasn't been around that long...

As to your reasoning for picking Patterson because you're a Bullets fan good luck to you pick whoever you like but as KET pointed out Patterson's form on not one but two different teams this season has been poor enough that I doubt he's even much chance of making the 2nd Team let alone the 1st Team.

Bizarre post mate.

Reply #849470 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Thanks for replying, Zodiac, and for reasons too. And I can and DO accept others' opinions, just like your latest. Thanks again. (I mean that!). It's the inference that I am a dickhead (right or wrong) for having opinions that differ from yours that I was objecting to.

You are right re the make up of these award teams. I tried to cover that with the option of listing your best team and/or the one the NBL proscribes.

No way does Patterson make it to the NBL roster but he does to mine (even for this season. He has already shown a lot of what he can do and with another 2 or 3 games of reg season, he will be there amongst the very best SF in this league....IMO).

In Nate's case, in the Cairns team, his circumstances certainly changed with Oliver's departure. Here are some of my observations. Nate was a bench player. no stamina to run up and down the court, chasing other (stretch)-bigs in D and working from the 3 line to the paint in O. That is not his game, never has been (hence all the zone D by Cairns to keep Jawai a little rested between plays). In "my" team, I don't want Nate anywhere near that. If he can hold down the paint with help from his 4-man, that'll do me. And watch how his O will advance like it already has done. Then there's the character of the man. He replaces an undisputed super-star who ends up in the big dance, and, knowing he is not that kind of player (as Oliver), he still had to adjust to enourmous minutes of his style fitting in with what his team were used to, and he did it very, very well. With the other 4 members of "my" team, I am still happy with Jawai. (Sorry for that ridiculously long sentence!)

[Seems that I have double standards here. I am ignoring (recent) history but relying on (soon-to-be) future for this opinion. I stick with Lamar as my "favoured" SF and Nate as my C.]

re: "Referring to you as the OP (original poster) is common place on forums especially when it's someone who hasn't been around that long..."

Thanks. No I did not know that OP is what it is and yes, I haven't been around the site for long. Loving it though!

Reply #849484 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Is Jawai a chance for MVP?

Reply #849490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear

Reply #849491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey last three games been trash, be lucky to second team. Mvp and first team candidates should come from teams that achieve something and not hog the ball in a crap team.

Reply #849511 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Okay, I'm looking for a new 3-man. I raved on about character and the Bullets serve that up for me. Yeah, Patterson too. He was ok, but that's the best I can say.

PG: Harvey
SC: Cotton
SF: Justin Simon (that's a perhaps).(Can I have Newbill?)(Didn't think so.)
PF: Landale
C: Jawai

Is that any better? Giving Jawai another game, or is it 2, + finals!!!???

Reply #849609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, what is the point of this topic? You firstly want guys who aren't even close to being the best at their position this year, now you want guys who don't even play in the league? Are you just naming players?

Reply #849610 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Whatever Robt drinks / injects / inhales, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Reply #849612 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, straight up bizarre

Reply #849615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usually the best player in the league at their position would pay more than 14 minutes per game. Unless maybe he is so dominant that in his 14 minutes his team builds a 20 point lead and he can go chill on the bench for the rest of the game.

Reply #849617 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

OK, OK, You don't like my teams. One of my sons doesn't like my teams either and he can't be right, even if & when he is.

Now, let's get back to who some of the posters out there would like in the NBL 1st team and why!

Reply #849648 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

First I'd like to give props to Vic Law, Dejan Vasiljevic and Jarrell Martin as they would be so hard to leave out if they played a fully healthy season but I'd choose

Inside players : Mooney (obvious) and Delaney (they'd be horrible to watch without his impact this season and for those saying Landale, if he brought the efforts of Delaney and had the court time then United would be killing everyone instead of falling over the line)

Outside players : Cotton (MVP), Harvey (Illawarra are nothing without him and...) Justin Simon (his energy, enthusiasm, defence and when he scores double figures it impacts the result more than Creek, Sobey, Giddey, Vasiljevic or Machado)

...but somehow Casper Ware will find himself in one of the All-NBL teams and I'll scratch my head and wonder why.

Reply #849753 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Now, let's get back to who some of the posters out there would like in the NBL 1st team and why!
But what is the "NBL 1st team"? You've given no coherent criteria, so how can it possibly be discussed? You say it's the best player at each position, not the best team, but then half your answers are talking about how your selections would make for the best team even if they aren't the best player at that position. Neither of those standards are the one used for selecting the All-NBL teams, which is what several other people are picking.

The thread is a mess.

Reply #849755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754