anon
Years ago

NBL1 North - June 2021

Mirko Djeric and Majok Deng sign with Cairns Marlins. Great news!

Topic #48676 | Report this topic

RobT  
Years ago

Sorry, anon. Did not see this one.

USC Ripcity are looking forward to Fabian Krslovic and Tanner Krebs, a returnee from College, Kyle Zunic, and Dion Smith from Warnambool joining Izzy, Josh, Eric and Louie. Throw in our "younger" brigade and our final season as RIPCITY looks OK.
*[USC Ripcity will join with Sunshine Coast Phoenix in 2022 season as USC Phoenix. Yippee, together again, at last!]

Reply #852407 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No problem RobT.

That sounds like a nice team to play in the current NBL1 North season.

Great news about Sunny Coast teams merging for next season.

Reply #852423 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cairns Marlins have also signed Nathan Jawai!

I think they'll be the team to beat in Qld now.

Reply #852424 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Ripcity welcomed the fabulous debut performances of Tanner Krebs from the Brisbane Bullets and Kyle Zunic back from US college as they spearheaded the attack on the Brisbane Capitals and helped their new team to a 107/90 win. Krebs was game high scorer with 34, game high assists with 8 and game high rebounder with 13. Zunic was a perfect side-kick with 22 pts and 4 assists.

Eric McAlister, Izzy Tueta and Louis Ilton contributed 17, 16 and 14 points respectively to gain their 2nd, consecutive win.

Nicholas Stoddart was excellent for Bris with 31pts and 5 assists with only a little scoreboard support from Wigness (13), Papacostas (12) and Jacob Wilson (11).

Next round, we go north and add Fabian Krslovic from the Cairns Taipans to our roster and see Josh Tueta for his 1st game of the season (after a 4-game suspension). We will need all our guys to play flat out and at their best to judge how far we can go this season.

How are other games, teams in the North conf fairing? If you don't spill your stories here you'll all be stuck with me going on about how good we are! Come on, surely some of you northern fans like your teams like I like mine. Tell us about them.

Reply #852956 | Report this post

GGWhatisthis  
Years ago

All I know is somehow a lot of heavy favourites lost today. Looks like this league is to avoid.

Reply #852958 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Doesn't that make it more interesting?

Reply #852970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob RIP looked great last night and some more muscle will only help. Mcalister has some good perimeter skills so will be good to see him loosened up!

The big surprise for me this year is Townsville, have overachieved and won a bunch of games with just local talent!

Biggest disappointment Rocky, did they lose sponsors? Usually a big spender and only have Wilcher and their womens side is even more disappointing for their standards.

Mackay RIP Cairns and Logan my Top 4 teams as of now!

Reply #852985 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Men's ladder after Round 6:

1st: Logan 6+0
2nd: Townsville 5+2
3rd: Makay 4+1
4th: Brisbane 4+2
Cairns is also on 4+2
Full ladder @: https://nbl1.com.au/stats/ladder/north/men

Already the ladder is changing considerably as NBL players are released from their teams and join their NBL1 teams. We (Ripcity) for eg, have added Tanner Krebs (Bris bullets) and Kyle Zunic (Wynthrop College, US) and that has upped us incredibly. Most of our teams are maybe waiting on a couple more.

Cairns are looking stacked now with Jawai, Djeric and Majok Deng. We get them this weekend, after Townsville. Yippee!

So, if you're not from up north, I wish you all a happy week and R7.

Reply #853185 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Well, USC Ripcity men started R7 off nicely with a 13 point win over Townsville, 83/73. Flames won the women's game 75/53.

The addition of Krebs and Zunic has been seamless and very beneficial for the Ripcity men and Josh Tueta's return was also welcome.

Watched the live stream and must admit the commentary was great. Certainly Shane Froling and his co-host (?) were biased towards the home team but also credited what the visitors did. Great job and thank you.

Reply #854625 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Me again! Firstly, R6, not R7.

Believe it or not! A 50+ pts win for our ladies over the Dolphins. Karlie Smith was unstoppable with 32pts.

And a 1-point win over the Cairns Marlins. Cairns, after scoring the 1st 2 points, watched on as Ripcity tied, then led the game for 3 and 1/2 qs. Ripcity led by as many as 18 pts going into the 4th. To their credit, Cairns fought back and led by 1 point within the last minute. Izzy Tueta put Ripcity back in front with 2 secs left in the game. Ripcity come home 2 and 0 on the toughest road-trip in NBL1 North.

Makay is our next hurdle and come to our home, next weekend. Should be another cracker!

Reply #854808 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

ANY OTHER NEWS FROM NBL1 NORTH?

Come on guys and gals. Every team has played. How's your team doing?

Reply #854809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Krislovic still Rob? Pretty impressive they took down Cairns without him.

Sun Phx either need a new coach or need a veteran on their team, world beaters in the 1st half most games but always seem to find a way to be in a position to lose. Were lucky to hold on vs GC (Cadee 0/14) after choking vs Ipswich Friday night.

I don't think Townsville will win many more either.

The Power would be kicking themselves they didnt have a NBL1 team with a usual team by them they would pull Rockys pants down. Whats going on beef town need more then Wilcher and their young locals!

From the weekend Im happy to stick with my top 4 teams
1- Mackay
2- Logan
3- USC
4- Cairns

Reply #854981 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Also Dion Smith who should be back (work commits) for Makay game(?). Krslovic still getting over ankle inj (last NBL) and back in 2, I think.

They will be a huge benefit as our starters have been playing massive minutes in most games. Be even greaterererer then!

Reply #855001 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

RipCity men are tearing it up in June. And against the teams that most of us fancy as the best.

Last week it was Townsville (not so highly rated this year, it seems) and Cairns both with full squads (heard that Townsv adding Sam Froling).

This week, Mackay by 17, 97/80, and that is certainly a big scalp for any team in NBL1 North.

Once again RipCity top 6 players shared the bulk of the minutes so we may have been a little lucky that Mackay had SC Phoenix on Sat night.

Great game to watch with 19 lead changes and 6 tied scores so most of the game was close. Makay faded in the latter-part of the 3rd and the 4th qs.

Dion (Smith) and Fabian (Krslovic) still not with the squad, and now, they may both be affected by Covid situation down south.

Any-one want to a 'David Anderson' and join a winning team, we may need you. [David Anderson jibe is a plagiarism, one I read here on Hoops, and liked.]

Reply #856586 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

OTHER (men's) RESULTS:
Fri
NWZ 99 / ROK 94
Sat
BNE 108 / ROK 86
LOG 107 / GCR 99
IPS 108 / RCR 71
SWM 94 / NWZ 70
MKY 102 / SCP 93
SUN
SDS 103 / ROK 76
USC 97 / MKY 80

LADDER
Logan Thunder
Mackay Meteors
Brisbane Capitals
Townsville Heat
USC Rip City
Sunshine Coast Phoenix
Cairns Marlins
Southern Districts Spartans
Northside Wizards
Gold Coast Rollers
Ipswich Force
South West Metro Pirates
Red City Roar
Rockhampton Rockets

Reply #856588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob impressive win from your boys yesterday. Ipswich looked a lot better this week Hodgson found his feet and White for Sobey seems a solid replacement.

Northside Wizards will be happy to have Mccaron join them, they were very unimpressive over the weekend lucky to not go 0-2.

Will updated my top 4 to below
Logan
USC
Mackay
Cairns

Reply #856638 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Isn't White something? When I saw his break-out game with Illaw, I thought that he would be great beside Izzy (who has been running the point exclusively for RipC).

Then Zunic and Krebbs arrived. I gotta be happy with them in "my" team. Just like White (25pts, at 60%, 8 rbs, 6 ats I see), they can run the team, score inside and out, rebound and, with Izzy, gives us a formidable, starting, back-court trio.

For goodness sake! With Krebbs and Zunic we defeat Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns and Mackay. Before them, we lost (horribly) to cross-region rivals, SC Phoenix, and to SD Spartans.

So, I no-longer care about White, can I have Hodgey instead? A footer would be great. Our front court has stood up but the Jawais and Frolings have been a handful.

[The people who run RipCity may not always agree with me, unbelievable as that may seem.]

Hope we can keep it up for the rest of our final season as RipCity.

Reply #856675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully you haven't peaked too early Rob, RIP are generally a very good regular season team. I think Izzy and Krebs is a more dangerous combo then Izzy and White and can never have enough bigs when it comes to finals time.

The big game this week Im looking forward to is Froling v Froling!! Wonder if Townsville have any more surprises to add, Betts for them has been a revelation come back much improved from college.

Reply #856704 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Hey Anon, "Hopefully you haven't peaked too early Rob," At my age? No, still waiting to reach my peak! Next year I want to be called for a goal-tend!

Reply #856720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754