Perthworld
Years ago

Perth to host Games 1 & 2 of 2021 NBL Grand Final Series

Hungry Jack's NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said: "In order to play the best of five Grand Final series with minimal interruption, the first two games will need to be played in Perth, regardless of the Wildcats’ opponent. This is due to the fact that as soon as any of the Grand Final teams enter Victoria, under the current settings, they cannot re-enter Western Australia without having to quarantine.

“The teams involved have been incredibly cooperative and have each agreed to the terms of the altered Grand Final schedule. We are very grateful to them for their understanding and flexibility which allows everyone to make the best of a very challenging situation, whilst also acknowledging that everyone is making compromises."

The Wildcats’ opponent in the Grand Final will be determined on Tuesday night when Melbourne plays South East Melbourne in game three of their semi-finals series. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN, SBS VICELAND, SBS On Demand, Sky Sport and Twitch from 7:30pm AEST.

Topic #48710 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

The Hungry Jack's NBL has announced the first two games of the best of five Hungry Jack’s NBL Grand Final series will be played in Perth. The schedule for games one and two is as follows:

PERTH WILDCATS v MELBOURNE UNITED OR SOUTH EAST MELBOURNE PHOENIX

Game 1: Friday 18 June
Perth Wildcats v Melbourne United or South East Melbourne Phoenix, RAC Arena, 8:30pm AEST
ESPN, SBS VICELAND, SBS On Demand, Sky Sport, Twitch

Game 2: Sunday 20 June
Perth Wildcats v Melbourne United or South East Melbourne Phoenix, RAC Arena, 5:00pm AEST
ESPN, SBS VICELAND, SBS On Demand, Sky Sport, Twitch

Reply #853475 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ridiculous- United and SEM have been out of Victoria for 3+ weeks?

Gives the Wildcats a better chance of avoiding the sweep.

Reply #853481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a joke

Reply #853486 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

LV, piss off.

Reply #853490 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LV, piss off.

If only.

Reply #853497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are still active cases of community transmission in Victoria LV you idiot, WA will not let them enter currently. Not hard to understand if they play games 1 and 2 in Melbourne WA Government won't let them in! Please after all these years grow a brain

Reply #853498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv, if you are so sure there is a question in another thread you haven't responded too!!!

It is far from ideal though. If sem win its an even bigger issue.

Reply #853499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like LV how f**king stupid are you

Reply #853503 | Report this post

Heaters  
Years ago

If United are half as good as Landale and LV think they are then it shouldn't matter where they play. Or maybe they’re starting to shit their pants after seeing the Cats take care of business!

Reply #853504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's funny

Reply #853507 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Active cases yeah

I think it's been 3 cases in the last 3 days

2 of them were children in quarantine, not sure about the other

Huge risk to the WA community.

Reply #853511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO big advantage to Perth, but at the end of the day things like this need to be done to keep the season running.

Hopefully SEM face Perth to avoid too much complaining about United being higher.

The Victorian teams can't complain too much though given all the extra home games during the year anyway.

Reply #853512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv considering a covid breakout and shut down costs hundreds of millions to billions of dollars yeah, home court probably doesn't win that argument!!!

Reply #853515 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, shit be getting real dudes.

NBL has managed to inject some interest into the GF afterall.

Perth have shown what they can do, even without cotton, so those first two games should be crackers.

Assuming United get through, wildcats winning those first two games will still be a huge ask. But imagine if they did, that would set up an absolute corker, for game 3. Even if Perth could win only one of those first two games, it still pushes the series to at least 4 games.

And watching lv's head explode, piece-by-piece, will be worth the price of admission

Reply #853516 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

So many people have been complaining all year that the NBL is rigging the schedule to advantage United. Hopefully that shows the NBL only does what's best for the NBL...
This scheduling certainly won’t help United or SEM!

Reply #853518 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Melbourne wins it's less awkward than SEM winning.

A-A-H-H-H is what Melbourne could have, and they’d just have to accept that because of how things are at the moment.

With SEM, A-A-A-H-H gets a bit ridiculous.

The virus situation at the moment in Vic, further restrictions are expected to eased on Thursday if things track how they are. Albeit no sport in Vic this coming weekend.

The following Thursday things could open up further - that’s where we would hopefully see the backend home games if it’s United. Whilst states like SA/Qld etc would hopefully open up again, WA probably won’t given they’re stricter meaning SEM would have to play theirs in Sydney if guessing.

Reply #853522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"
LV
A few hours ago

Active cases yeah

I think it's been 3 cases in the last 3 days

2 of them were children in quarantine, not sure about the other

Huge risk to the WA community."

The NBL doesn't have control over Government settings, they have to work around them.

I don't think it's a huge deal - if United make it, they get their 3 home games, and Perth gets 2. It's just the order that has changed.

I know people will make a big deal out of "but the team that wins Game 1 usually wins!!" - well that's because normally the team that hosts Game 1 is the higher ranked (better) team and the better team normally wins.

Reply #853527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm old enough to remember that the NBL used to use an A-H-H best of 3 format.

Reply #853528 | Report this post

Years ago

Wildcats sent out an email confirming that game 1 and 2 will be at home and game 3 and 4 will both be played away. Depending on who the Wildcats play in the finals will depend on where game 5 is held.

Reply #853549 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

well that's because normally the team that hosts Game 1 is the higher ranked (better) team and the better team normally wins.

"But momentum" I hear people shout

Reply #853550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Away games should be help in Sydney

Reply #853552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""But momentum" I hear people shout"

Well Hawks and United had momentum after winning game 1 of the semi and proceeded to lose game 2.

This isn't a game of footy where you can build up a lead in the first two quarters and hang on to it until time expires. You still have to win each game starting from 0-0.

It's like tennis. And we saw Djokovic come from two sets down to win the French open, because quality prevails.

Reply #853576 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The press release suggests Perth gets 2 Home games.

What if SEM win tonight?

If they play Games 3 and 4 in Melbourne, they cannot come back to Perth for Game 5.

How does that work?

I understand the league is doing its best under very trying circumstances, but shouldn't the higher finishing team have 3 games at their home court?

Reply #853580 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If SEM win, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd game added in Perth directly after the 1st 2 games, or probably more likely they will go to neutral ground for the 5th game? Either way isn't fair, but it's the best that prob can be done.

Reply #853584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play game 2 in Sydney then back to Perth for game 3, then Melbourne for games 4 & 5

Reply #853585 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LB, the press release suggests the first two games will be in Perth, not that Perth will only get two games total for the series.

They will have the benefit of time to make a decision further, and complicated by which team wins tonight.

Reply #853591 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thanks KET for adding the context I had missed.

Reply #853593 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If they play Games 3 and 4 in Melbourne, they cannot come back to Perth for Game 5.
Game 5 is probably far enough away that the border will be open again.

Reply #853594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It certainly puts the acid on United if they more than likely qualify, very hard to win in Perth, if Perth leads by two going back to Melbourne, they got two free hits at causing an upset to win it.
To me that would be two years in row of winning with favourable decisions going their way.

Reply #853596 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not worried in the slightest- United has beaten Perth 3 times in a row at RAC Arena.

My concern is tonight- that's United's biggest remaining test. SEM is easily a better team than Perth sans Cotton.

Win tonight and I'll be feeling supremely confident of a championship, unless injuries hit us.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling increasingly nervous as the clock ticks towards 7:30pm.

Reply #853598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Sydney deciding to forfeit was a very favourable decision for Perth.

Reply #853599 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I think United are simply too strong to let this one slip, and coming to Perth hasn't been a problem for them lately, with Norton playing hurt and Cotton out United should get the championship in 4 games

Reply #853605 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

I don't understand people still talking Perth down... they’ll probably be saying "they’ll be bad next year", while Perth lifts yet another trophy…

Reply #853606 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I don't understand people still talking Perth down"

Mostly Perth fans being cynical, I think.

Every year you know Perth will be in contention at the end - no matter how many people post “we look terrible this year”.

Reply #853608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly JB,

all this rubbish they won't make finals was total crap. They have got the best coach and systems, a great home court, mostly to their advantage.

Reply #853609 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't understand people still talking Perth down..

They have exceeded my expectations by beating the Hawks.

But they will likely get swept in the GF if United get through.

I would also put a full strength SEM ahead of a Cotton less and injured Norton Perth.

I don't 100% count them out but talking down is justified.

With Cotton they are #1 in offensive efficiency during the season.

I don't have the stats but I'd dare say they fall to the bottom half of the league without Cotton.

Their offence is so laboured relying on big shots from Blanchfield and ever reliable Mooney to get them over the top.

Cotton makes everyone better, as he is gone, everyone else's efficiency drops. Everyone is less open.

Reply #853613 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cotton drew so much defensive attention that it changed the whole game.

1 player can exert massive influence.

Just look at LA Lakers without Davis or look how the Brooklyn series changed after Kyrie went down (they were already without Harden but losing both clearly a bridge too far).

Reply #853626 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I get what you are trying to say in your nonsensical, one eyed way LV.

Yes, SEM and Utd have more offensive weapons compared to a cotton-less Wildcats. But that's what they have...offence. the cats game centres around defence and disruption.

The cats have an ability to dragging high scoring teams into a grind where they aren't comfortable.

Also the Perth have started working things out without cotton and aren't scared of the road. Utd and SEM have both won at RAC, SEM on the Jesse miss and Utd twice, one of which without Cotton or Norton.

I believe the Melbourne sides will start favourites, but it's closer than you make it out.

Reply #853628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV decides on his preferred outcome, makes up some fluff and adds some cherry-picked stats to try and confirm it, then states its all fact.

Reply #853640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing the most system orientated team in the nbl to some very isolated heavy nba teams is not the greatest comparison. Perths system still gets guys good looks, la and netsbdint really have a system and frankly why would they???

Reply #853644 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

SEM put Gliddon and Broekhoff in the corners but never run plays to get them a shot. Complete waste running a 2 and 3 man offense continually. Will not stand up for a whole game.

Reply #853698 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Covid infection in Sydney FYI

Reply #853948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're still in hotel quarantine though, yeah?

Reply #853950 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There are reports a new locally acquired Covid-19 case has been detected in Bondi, with authorities scrambling to find the source of the infection.

Reply #853952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn. Bad timing. But still, gives Paul Smith enough time to forfeit again this year.

Reply #853959 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

7000 people allowed at gmhba stadium this Friday

Reply #854073 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

The simplest solution as to where to play each game (with reference to Covid) would be games 1 + 2 in Perth, 3, 4 + AND 5 in Melb.

Unfair advantage to MU? Yes, but Perth get the 1st x 2 games which they haven't "earned". With their own admissions of how helpful their home crowds are, they go in with an unfair advantage.

Melb U HAVE earned their 3 games. They and their fans deserve it. So does the NBL GF series.

Tough, but at least both sides are giving up something.

Further-more, a neutral venue would decimate attendances and this series needs full houses, not only for the direct revenue. Also for the sake of media audiences. The games are (apparently) going out on every media outlet involved. Can you imagine international viewers watching our GF, in a neutral venue, devoid of screaming fans, full of empty seats?

The further successful promotion of this series would be a real shot-in-the-arm after the last couple of s

Reply #854118 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

[SORRY]
... The further successful promotion of this series would be a real shot-in-the-arm after the last couple of disrupted seasons.

Reply #854119 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Unfair advantage to MU? Yes"

I don't think so. It’s the opposite. Perth get the “unfair”advantage by starting the first two games at home and could get momentum at the start.

Nobody could complain though, it’s the obvious logistical thing to do given the circumstances.

Reply #854120 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I agree that playing the first 2 in Perth then the following 3 (if required) is the right move, but playing in Melbourne may mean there is still no crowds.

7000 allowed in to GMHBA this weekend doesn't count for much considering Geelong is out of Melbourne and is an outdoor stadium.

If Victoria's capacity rules are like other states indoor venues are probably still a few weeks away from being near meaningful capacity. It may cost the league way more then they'll get back with no crowds.

Reply #854126 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That 7,000 is this weekend though.

Reply #854130 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As in, another week and who knows.

Reply #854131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outdoor v indoor

Reply #854137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754