Anonymous
Years ago

McCarron most overrated?

At the risk of multiple people attacking this thread, who else feels that Mitch McCarron is the most overrated player in the league? Quite literally, I'm struggling to see him as a marquee player, and yet I hear Adelaide all but have an agreement with him. Discuss

Topic #48734 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude the drugs aren't working.

Reply #854524 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He is definitely not a marquee player.

Reply #854528 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Maybe for Adelaide's standards he is though.

Reply #854533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dude the drugs aren't working" show me how he’s a marquee player? What’s your criteria?

Reply #854534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The topic says most over rated. Marquee was never mentioned.

Reply #854537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw him on the tube. David Andersen.

Reply #854542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I own his jersey. He's like Jack White in that he can do a bit of everything; a real role player/glue guy. But not your marquee like Cotton is.

Reply #854551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The topic says most over rated. Marquee was never mentioned."

Did you even read the original post?

Reply #854555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The drugs aren't working" you idiot!!! It literally says marquee in the original post! It is you who is on drugs! Clown!

Reply #854560 | Report this post

Kobefoolz  
Years ago

854537, moron, learn to read

Reply #854562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the topic said most over rated. Is any team stupid enough to call him a marquee player? Nah.

Reply #854563 | Report this post

Kobefoolz  
Years ago

854563, don't make excuses for your lack of ability to read the original post! He was All NBL 2nd team, and I’m told he’s asking for $400k. IMO he’s nowhere near that marquee mark.
Now, go back and read the post, and discuss!!!

Reply #854568 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

If McCarron leaves Melbourne I'll eat my hat.

As for him being overrated? For mine, he’s been United’s second best player all season. He’s a point guard surrounded by one of the most offensively stacked rosters in league history, who leads his team in rebounds, steals and assists, not to mention being their best defensive player but he’s overrated?

This forum never fails.

Reply #854575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll get 400k, Australian point guard that plays both ends. Maybe not marquee but quality.

Reply #854577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Marquee, getting 400k? Get your head checked! You obviously don't know current market value! Bolt, start eating your hat, and it says discuss!!!

Reply #854580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 points, yep paying him $400k hahahaha, I'm glad these guys don’t run teams

Reply #854584 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

In fairness, McCarrons agent owns JVG so maybe you're right...

Reply #854586 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

6 points on eight shots, 11 rebounds (3 offensive), 7 assists and a block. He's not the primary scorer, deal with it.

Reply #854588 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What constitutes being a marquee - being a top two player on the team?

Or are we debating whether McCarron is a marquee local player outside of the imports? Size of pay cheque a factor? United overpay everyone which skews things if using that as a measure.

Reply #854589 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's obviously no Kevin White but still is a pretty handy player.

Reply #854592 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

^ spot on

Reply #854594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Punters that only look at points, no fu.k all about basketball, there the guys that score twenty in there div four teams but never win a game, cherrypick at the offensive end.
Obviously they don't realise how good McCarron is and will get his 400k.

Reply #854603 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Hard to tell without knowing players salaries.
He's no Bryce Cotton, but he is one of the best Aussies in the NBL Not a volume scorer but does plenty of the other things every team needs.

Reply #854606 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

If you have ever played ball with a pass first point who focuses on executing sets you'll realise what a player McCarron is.

I thought he was beaten for much of the SEM series and made some mistakes tonight but he is a genuine pass-first point who can also defend and hit the boards. My only criticism is that he should be slightly more selfish and execute more offensive for himself.

Not sure about the whole marquee reference, where does that come from?

Reply #854618 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Surely not a good night to be posting this.... probably United's best tonight

He has successfully transitioned into PG. Best season with United. Hot property no doubt.

Reply #854620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely won't get 400k, I personally spoke with a GM that stated that anyone who pays anything close to that is insane.

Reply #854624 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can you be a marquee if you had to hit the NBL up for $4K?

Reply #854626 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is a really, really dumb thread. First off who ever said Mitch McCarron was a marquee player? Secondly, is he even rated that highly compared to what he actually does? Solid, reliable player who plays both sides of the floor, makes great reads on offense, and makes big plays on defense, Australian, not a star of the team but does all the one-percenters well - that's what Mitch mcCarron is and those are the skills regularly attributed to him. I can't see how you can read that, see Mitch McCarron and say he's therefore overrated.

As for 400K, it sounds unlikely but we don't actually know what players are being paid in the NBL at this point. That definitely would have been import money in recent seasons but if someone is paying that, well, good luck to them I guess!

Reply #854632 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Depends what you mean by "Marquee"
Your top paid 1 (or more) locals will be your marquee player(s). Some are obvious, but not everyone can sign a Landale or similar.
Cotton will be Perth's when he naturalises, but who was it this year?

I think McCaron is overrated in that I don't think he was deserving of 2nd team honours, but clearly those voting disagreed. So you have to think that somebody voted in by opposing teams has something going for him.

And as someone said, come free-agent time, he's likely to be (one of if not the) best players available.

Reply #854636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's basically Damian Martin with a jumpshot. He finished in the top five in MVP voting in his final season at Cairns. I would love him on my team.

Reply #854661 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Damien Martin with a jump shot undersells his offensive skills a little. But he isn't 'quite' Damien Martin on defense - no one is.

Reply #854662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant it as a positive. Marto, despite his inconsistent shooting, was an elite ball handler and passer. Mitch has got more in his offensive arsenal than just a jumpshot, fair call.

Reply #854663 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where did this AdeIaide rumour come from?

Reply #854664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400k. Tell his agent he's a wanker.

Reply #854665 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Automatically dislike the bloke for wearing number 10. UTD should unofficially retire the number as well as 21 n 50

Reply #854670 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Blame United for that one, not the player. A big piece of history to leave behind.

Reply #854673 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree, Luuuc.
It seems that the United organisation just chose convenient bits of the Tigers such as the GF banners, but not the whole thing including singlets. Pretty poor to ignore those deliberately - I think it was probably more an oversight while they chased the extra $$ which the banners would give them.

Back to the topic. I see McCarron as one of the glue guys who makes any team better because of all the things he does well. We know he can score more than he does, his rebounding and leap are impressive, his defence is tough and committed, and his assists are pretty good even though he often takes a lot of risks. His passion and dedication are obvious throughout.

Reply #854687 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This sounds more like a post from his agent using Adelaide to try and drive up a better offer from United. I'm not sure where this $400k crap comes from but you don't pay that for McCarron. Nice player and all but that is superstar/put a team on your shoulders money and he's not that.

Reply #854715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron would be great in Adelaide.

Reply #854721 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No he wouldn't. Pretty nice player but he looks better in United playing with top level talent here in Adelaide on that kind of money he would be expected to be the best player on the team and to somewhat carry the team. That's not his game.

Reply #854722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the number 1 (non marquee) target for the Jack Jumpers. Roth loves him.

Reply #855198 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

In this forum everybody is linked to Tassie.

Reply #855200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754