Anonymous
Years ago

Steindl unlikely to return to Perth

Mentioned by Liam Santa on the NBL's free agency wrap video today.

Topic #48830 | Report this topic

Bolt  
Years ago

Thought they'd run it back considering his brief history with them. Maybe they’re giving his minutes to Sherv?

Reply #857584 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Could be signing with Jackjumpers,do people rate this guy?

Reply #857585 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

I would say Perth is just about the best system a streaky perimeter shooter with limited moves outside of the three-ball and poor defensive reputation could hope for. When you compare his gameplay in the early Crocs days I just don't think he has progressed as expected for a really tall and talented scorer.

Reply #857591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be going back 'home' to FNQ. They need depth badly.

Reply #857594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is not depth though, streaky shooter every now and then, nothing else. Gleeson got the best out of him.

Reply #857596 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

I reckon his going to MU. won't fit at Tassie if they've signed mcveigh and mcdaniel.
Won't go to home to cairns since no and ngatai will play the 3 maybe Brisbane but I doubt

Reply #857603 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

This isn't a loss for the Cats. Too streaky and often injured.

Reply #857604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde to bring him to Cairns

Reply #857621 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Shervill is an upgrade on Steindl and has upside so hopefully they can retain him.

Reply #857628 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If he is looking to go to Cairns, I would encourage him to look at the 'exemplars' that made the same move before him.

- Jarrod Kenny
- Lucas Walker
- DKD

Just looking at Kenny and Rob Loe's hair when they were there would be frightening enough.

Reply #857631 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Question is whether one or both can make the commute, Cairns/ Townsville?
And keep in mind his family is from around MacKay

Reply #857638 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

Hope he comes 'home' and plays in the Far North. Would provide decent depth for the Taipans.

Reply #857644 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Seems likely if he is leaving the Wildcats that he will try to play for whichever team is close to where Kayla wants to play. I think someone mentioned the other day that she was keen to move on from the Lynx to another team. I would say she will have main say where their next stop will be this time.

Reply #857656 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

There was nothing wrong with Kenny's time in Cairns, he’s a role player who did a great job. Walker was done when he went there and KernichDrew was signed as tenth man.

Reply #857658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no Cairns, they have enough checkers that don't play D.

Reply #857668 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I would say she will have main say where their next stop will be this time."

I'm pretty sure she had the main say the first time when she moved to the Lynx, then Wildcats signed Steindl.

Reply #857670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be unhappy if I were Perth. Lowball offer and then let him move on if he doesn't want it.

Reply #857671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main loss for Perth is he is perfect for their flex cut offense. With him gone there are not a lot of other candidates out there that can pull up a 3 point shot in a fast catch and shoot action like Steindl.

Of course cats have Cotton and Blanchfield who can but they lose one of the offensive weapons on the bench - this last season bench not having much offensive depth.

So if he goes nothing much can be done but it does put more pressure on the cats who had poor depth last season and need to actually build more depth to be a force this year.

Shervill is stil unproven so anyone thinking he fits this bill is probably overambitious. Generally teams like the cats want to bring poeple in who are more proven and have rarely been a team where they develop from the ground up. Travers the one notable exception of late.

Reply #857677 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I'm ok with Steindl moving on .
His good games were few and far between this season.

Of the 4 older players in Steindl 32, Wagstaff 35, Jervis 34 and White 34.
White is the only one I would keep and that's only because of 11 man rosters, he would be good as fifth guard.

Reply #857680 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I said in another thread that I wouldn't be surprised if Steindl moved for more opportunity.
I'd be happy if he stayed of course - he is still a weapon - but was in a bit of a traffic jam positionally, and was on a pretty short leash with Trev for most of the season so it would have been frustrating. The last injury was especially unfortunate timing - right when we were forced into giving him a big role.
But I think plenty of teams would still be interested in him.

If Kayla is still into playing WNBL (which I hope she is because she's still a weapon too) then that cuts down the options a fair bit though. Brissy, Cairns, NZ & Tassie all less likely.

Reply #857689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Going by Spatial Jam, Steindl's 3P% was 29.9% and one of the lowest in the team. 35.3% FG which was also near worst. On one hand, that's down from past seasons so could be an anomaly. On the other, if he's in the team as a shooter and not likely getting the same defensive attention as Cotton and Blanchfield, they'd need better.

Reply #857703 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Is this true?

I thought Steindl was signing at the JackJumpers??

Reply #857704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sherv is a far, far superior defender then Clint. Far superior. With Luke Trav and Sherv Perth are obviously starting to look to get the next crop ready.

Reply #857719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to pile-on, but more from SpatialJam - Box Plus Minus has Steindl as poorest defence from Wildcats, and on the poor offence side of the ledger. Only others with him in that quadrant are White and Swaka Lo Buluk. Shervill in the poor D, good O quadrant. On/off metrics have his NetRAT in the bottom half of the team, only ahead of White, Travers and Jervis. He's not in any of the positive two-man combos either unless you drop it below 400 possessions.

Reply #857729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When steindl was last a free agent (I think two seasons ago) the reports were he was being chased by a few teams which meant Perth had to increase their offer to him. After the season just past, maybe he was unlikely to get another high wage from Perth. Then you add in his age and the desire to find a spot for Shervill and also possible playing ambitions of his wife it makes sense

Reply #857763 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

Wasn't his first Wildcats season percentages over 50% ? to go from that to barely hitting 30% is brutal, Wildcats will move on and want more time for Sherv and obv a third import will take court time away but I think Steindl is lucky JJ's are in cause someone will have a spot and a need for him. I honestly hope he can get his touch back too.

Reply #857767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats confirm steindl is leaving on their social media

Reply #857947 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Hopefully has signed with the Jackjumpers.

Reply #857967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754