Anonymous
Years ago

36ers close to signing 1st Import

JVG on radio today suggested they were close to signing a flat out 3 point shooter in one of their import spots and that this was part of the reason they didn't try to match the Jack Jumpers offer for McVeigh.

Topic #48882 | Report this topic

Frogmanbaby  
Years ago

Roberson?

Reply #858767 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

any link

Reply #858769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess SF

Reply #858770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was there a suggestion a new import to the league

Reply #858771 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

Jimmer Freddete is my guess he follows NBL and Teys and teys follows him ......

Reply #858772 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Jimmer would be good, though not a SF. China is all locals this year I think so might be able to get some guys worked can't get euro gigs cheaper.

Reply #858773 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

its sus tho

Reply #858774 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

Mitch can play 3

Reply #858775 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pretty sure he said Paul was a flat out 3 point shooter before signing him.

Reply #858784 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Heh - Would be nice if they managed a good import from the very start tbh. Been a while.

C Humphries/Sotto
F Import defensive big?/Johnson
F Dech/
G Import shooter/
G McCarron/

Tbh I'd be ok with crocker as a third import off the bench play him anywhere from pg to sf, and try to snare some backup shooters like White, Rigoni

Reply #858785 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

KET. No chance Johnson comes off the bench.
Also not enough shooters in your starting 5.

Humphries/Sotto
Johnson/defensive 4/5 import
Star import 3
DJ newbill/dech
McCaron/white

Reply #858786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson off the bench lol.

Reply #858787 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

JVG said in the last game they wouldn't probably bring back Brandon paul
Also anon please tell me your not talking about Kev White he wont go back to Adelaide how ever issac white may come home.

Reply #858789 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Jimmer would be an interesting addition to the league, my guess would be that he would be looking to / could make more money in another league though?

Reply #858791 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

I wonder if Teysus will be back?

Wouldn't be the worst choice, especially as an end of the bench, locker room type guy?

Reply #858792 | Report this post

05:44:00  
Years ago

Teys and Dillon will not be back. Teys is a great guy but more is needed now.

Reply #858794 | Report this post

05:44:00  
Years ago

There is no way Kevin White will be back in Adelaide. While some may have liked his efforts and contribution for Pert in the finals, he is probably not the right personality to have around a new team with a relative new coach trying to create a new team culture and playing style.

Reply #858795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you listen to Liam Santamaria latest huddle podcast he mentions Adelaide plan to bring Johnson off the bench, just for those laughing at the idea

They were trying to get guys like wetzell or magnay to start pf, given they gave missed them both I assume they will grab a import pf

Jvg also spoke about being a bit deeper, so I'm thinking both Johnson and dech off the bench

Line up something like

Humphries/Sato
Import/Johnson
Import/
Import/dech
McCarron/

Gives them a nice main 7 and could go a touch deeper depending on how they fill out the remaining spots

Reply #858797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually KET line up is what Liam was talking about them doing with a Scotty Hopson scoring import SG/SF next to dech n McCarron in the starting back court

Reply #858800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty Hannahs

Reply #858818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill has re-signed in Japan

Reply #858819 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

The comment from Liam on DJ coming off the bench, as much as it surprises me, does this have anything to do with the rumour of Adelaide going after a big name 4 man? Are they intending to bring in a guy like Motum and have DJ play backup to him?

Reply #858823 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea i think thats sort of the plan, Liam mentioned they made strong offers for Wetzell and Magnay, so may not be able to get Motum hes generally too expensive for the NBL and coming off a great season in France so i doubt that changes, but get a high level import instead

Reply #858830 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers sign 3 point sharp shooter Andre Ingram.

Reply #858831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram....old news too old

Reply #858834 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

ye totally andre ingram the man who bryce cotton replaced

Reply #858862 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

andre ingram

the man who struggled to cope being away from family and left after playing two games?.. Is he even still playing at all?

Reply #858864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Classic Sixers/JvG move if true.

Reply #858871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I wonder if Terrence Ferguson could be an option?

Reply #858877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram is working for the G League and not playing.

Reply #858883 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

36ers seem to go the earliest on imports of all teams, and they're usually a bust...

Reply #858907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing an unknown import at any time is a risk.

However, if someone you know of becomes available early then nothing wrong with snapping them up asap.

Reply #858909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing an unknown import at any time is a risk.

However, if someone you know of becomes available early then nothing wrong with snapping them up asap.

Reply #858910 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Andre Ingram could certainly play. Big shame he got home sick so quick without realising the beauty of our county.

Reply #858933 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So the Sixers have swung and missed on Wetzell and Magnay, when Humphries is still available? Would like to know what's going on there. Humphries and McCarron would give the Sixers potentially the best defence in the competition. Just pay the man and worry about hit and miss imports later.

Reply #858961 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, i think the talk is they tried to add one of those guys with Humphries.

Not sure what this means for DJ...

Reply #858963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either do what teams like Cairns do and sign highly regarded prospects straight out of college or B, do what teams like Melbourne do and sign those players after they've proven themselves.
Instead we bring out some has been, sack them a third of the way in and then grab whoevers available. Although imports aren't really as important as they used to be, they're still a major component. And seeing as our backcourt seems to be set, a gun scoring forward is a priority.

Reply #858964 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Master Chief, is that based on something Liam said?

I definitely find it odd that we would be trying to land Wetzell or Magnay on top of DJ and Humphries. Seems like an over investment in big men to me. Also likely to cause problems with not enough minutes to go around.

Reply #858968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Humphries and McCarron are signed, to be announced soon,

Reply #858969 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Beantown, Boti is running with Johnson might go to Japan. Other reports Johnson will come off the bench.

Reply #858971 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, yes people like Liam Santamria have suggested Adelaide also going hard at Magnay.

Reply #858984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be worried about Humphries injury. Foot injuries can be tricky.

Reply #858985 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Be nice to get an import/s into the country early and start training with the team. Especially if they're new imports.

Reply #859085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be nice to get anyone in the country. Total f..k up by the Australian government on all levels.

Reply #859087 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Can't blame the gov.

Have a look at the Western Suburbs of Sydney, people behaving like its a normal day.

Reply #859099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold standard, maybe you also want to look at the northern beaches and eastern suburbs before you get into the west. There beaches and take away coffee shops are full.
As I said gold standard, lmao.

Reply #859102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import 2-3 maybe 4 or 5 if Johnson or Humphries go.

Reply #859116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Paul signed in Italy. No loss imo.

Reply #859157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'3 dusty Hannah’s, career 42% 3 pt shooter.

Reply #859158 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ from Olgun uluc

Reply #859165 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cheers KET, watched some video of Dusty and he has a bit of a Kevin Lisch feel to him. I wonder how confident Olgun is?

Reply #859171 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not a bad start. Obviously can shoot and looks crafty. I like how he can score several ways. Shoot the 3, mid range, floater and get to the rim.

Reply #859189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honest question, one I was pondering a few days ago.

What would Adelaide supporters think if DJ was guided to leave the club. Good scorer obviously, but takes up a lot of coin and is a complete zero on D. Imagine someone playing his position who gave it on both ends.

Reply #859202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like the breakers first import might be peyton siva? every breakers player follows him on instagram

Reply #859207 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If DJ left the club today I would wish him well and hope his name is never mentioned in relation to the Sixers in perpetuity.

Reply #859208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Payton plays for a club that spends around twenty million aud a year, not certain how breakers compete with that.

Reply #859211 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anon 859202 is that a rhetorical question?
There's been murmurs DJ is leaving.

Personally I don’t mind it. Unfortunately it’s a win based audience and he can’t get us to the finals.
If his money could be spent better/upgrade then all for it.
Would need a star 3 or 4 player in return though.

Reply #859271 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great news that Humphries has signed for the Sixers! Would like it to have been 3 years, but I'll take it as it gives us a shot at a title this year if they sign the right pieces around him.

I'd strongly disagree with the idea of DJ leaving the club early. I think he and Humphries were very effective together last year and if you watched closely, DJ's intensity was very high in the first half of the season before the number of games and having to carry the front-court by himself wore him out.

The other thing people are critical of is that he doesn't challenge enough players at the rim. I would say true, BUT a lot of the time it is DJ making the decision not to risk a foul, because he knows from long experience that if he is out of the game, there is NO-ONE on the bench who can hold down the fort! That has been true of nearly all Sixers teams throughout DJ's career.

Now I do agree that in the 4th quarter of games, when he has had fouls to give, he has not been aggressive enough defensively. Personally, I too would like to have seen him be a bit more aggressive on the defensive end, but I don't think he has been as bad as some like to make out.

Regardless, we all agree that he's not as good defensively as you'd like your centre to be, but that is why you need a GOOD front office who can find a strong defender to pair with him.

In the early part of DJs career, we had Petrie and made the Grand Final in 2013-14. After Petrie, the only good defensive front-court player we had was Childress and guess what, we made the Grand Final again that season with our defence forcing the lowest opposition FG% in the league.

Most of DJ's career, he played for Wright, who always emphasised guard play and a run and gun offence. So his offensive skills have never really been capitalised on as much as they should've been. But he has still been the best offensive big man this league has had for the last 6 years or so.

To me, when you have an unusually talented Aussie that no-one else in the NBL can match, you build the right team around that guy and capitalise on it. It took until last season to finally get a coach who wants to run his offence through his big men and believes in the importance of good half-court offence and defence. We also finally got a big in Humphries who can cover defensively for DJ.

Personally, I want to see what a healthy Sixers team constructed around DJ, Humphries and McCarron can do if the coach can get a good half-court offence and defence installed.

If it turns out that the DJ and Humphries combo doesn't work, then by all means, they could look at trying to stretch DJ's final year or something. But at 33, this is almost DJ's last dance, so I'll be getting behind him and hoping he and Humphries can bring home our first title in 20 years!

Reply #859309 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I like DJ.

I appreciate what he has done for the club.

I have long accepted his defensive deficiencies in tandem with superior offensive skills, but to suggest he doesn't challenge shots because he is somehow preserving himself for fouls and hence his court time on the offensive end is sorely misguided.

Defence is just not in his game, he will rebound well thats it.

Reply #859323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj to Japan.

Reply #859324 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's the rumour.

Reply #859329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754