John Doe
Years ago

Breakers extend Dan Shamir's contract for another 2 years

According to Liam Santamira on Twitter

the @NZBreakers have signed both head coach Dan Shamir and assistant coach Mody Maor to two-year contract extensions. Shamir and Maor (who will assume the title of associate head coach) are now under contract until the end of the 2023-24 season.

https://twitter.com/Liam_Santa/status/1412564156570488838

Topic #48887 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they do well, still brave move by the club though.

Reply #858866 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am very happy with this news, because I like the idea of NZ having a bad coach for a longer term.

In his two years :
- He has never made the playoffs, even junk like Mike Kelly has.
- He has a record of 27 - 37 over that span and had a winning percentage of 33.3% this season. Whilst we acknowledge that they were unable to play at home until the last 7 games of their season, they were still only 3-4 over that time. This means even if you gave the Breakers 100% of their games in NZ they would still miss the playoffs.
- His teams have been good. Last year Scotty Hopson, this year an emerging Finn Delany plus the Webster Bros.

Reply #858874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compare his roster to the cats ,or even Illawara and he underperformed in the last two years easily. If they again languish at the bottom in 2022 I cant see him surving his contract

Reply #858884 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, Matt Walsh is really doubling down on his European coach experiment. Stubborn or smart?

Reply #858886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither smart nor stubborn...stupid is the word

Reply #858888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow is all I can say this is now smart

Reply #858889 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good show of faith in Shamir, again after picking up his third year team option early too. I think the jury is still out on Shamir he's had two seasons in the job the first ravaged by injuries and the second destroyed by Covid so hopefully we get a chance to really see what he can do next season.

Reply #858902 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hard to get a read on Shamir. Would've made playoffs Year 1 if not for injuries. Year 2 the cards were again stacked against them without home court advantage, and having more injuries than most teams, in a year where almost everyone had more than usual.

Overall I think he's been OK.

An extension makes sense- continuity and stability are good.

Reply #858908 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah I think folks are forgetting the Breakers' had maybe the toughest season of all time. Surprised they made it through the year, but not surprised Shamir was extended after all that. From what I've seen I think he is fine, could do much worse.

Reply #858911 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whilst we acknowledge that they were unable to play at home until the last 7 games of their season, they were still only 3-4 over that time. This means even if you gave the Breakers 100% of their games in NZ they would still miss the playoffs.

Reply #858913 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Dan Shamir has been disappointing. I could easily see the Breakers buying out Shamir's contract at the end of this season if Dan fails again. I expect the Breakers to make finals since I heard the NBL will be bringing back top-6 like the 2009 format. Unsure what exactly the format will be but I expect NBL is considering elimination finals or quarter finals.

Reply #858919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dan Shamir has been disappointing. I could easily see the Breakers buying out Shamir's contract at the end of this season if Dan fails again.

Unilkely given he was already under contract for next season anyway and they've given him a further two year extension on top of that.

Reply #858923 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

How do you reply on posts Zodiac?

Reply #858929 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Neither smart nor stubborn...stupid is the word

or that.

It seems like a weird all-in move by the club with no upside for them if it all goes pear-shaped.

Reply #858932 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I expect the Breakers to make finals since I heard the NBL will be bringing back top-6 like the 2009 format. Unsure what exactly the format will be but I expect NBL is considering elimination finals or quarter finals.

Source?

Reply #858934 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

That's true the Breakers hard the hardest season then anyone.

Reply #858935 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

had*

Reply #858937 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Reply #858939 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Not sure how you guys reply.

Reply #858940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh must be picking the Blackwell's brains. Rebuilding a Kiwi core and having coach continuity. Took him some time to learn, but it seems like he’s rebuilding the Breakers back to where they originally were when him and his entourage bought the club.

Reply #858975 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just re read this, hadn't initially realised it was 2 yr extension beyond next year (although should've realised cos way too late to be re-signing him for this coming season).

Early move then.

Key for NZ will be keeping Delaney and building around him. Wmw and Wetzell a great start

Reply #859001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754