Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Luc Longley on Australian Story

This looks really interesting: two-parter Australian Story on Lucy Longley, coming Monday (2 August). They got Jordan, Pippen, Kerr and Jackson all on camera for it, which is pretty amazing, plus Ben Elton (!) to introduce it.

https://www.abc.net.au/austory/luc-longley:-one-giant-leap/13470514

Topic #49005 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

(Lucy Longley LOL)

Reply #862650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bens his brother in law, they both live in Fremantle

Reply #862652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley lives in Albany. He has a self sufficient property.

Reply #862654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow big! Probably one of the biggest Australian Story episode.

Reply #862657 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Ben Elton lives in Fremantle?

Reply #862660 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Their wives are sisters.

Reply #862661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be great. Luc has always had a fascinating view on things. Being who he is, he's seen some stuff!

Reply #862662 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

Truly excited to see this, good to see him get some credit for his play. Not just being a lucky passenger on the best team ever

Reply #862669 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

Bens lived here for at least 15 years. Luc must have moved from Freo after his house burnt down a few years ago.

Saw Bens stand up show couple months ago. fantastic!

Reply #862671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ben Elton had a nice cameo in the BBC comedy show The Young Ones, I loved that show growing up.

I've always appreciated Longley's views on things a straight shooter without veering off into dickhead territory like Bogut. I remember Anstey saying when they were both in the NBA together Longley was very generous on the road too.

Reply #862700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Elton had slightly more involvement than a cameo. He wrote it!

Reply #862718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know he was involved in the writing but I was talking on screen, it's a scene I still love to this day.

Reply #862719 | Report this post

KUpwey  
Years ago

Ben Elton wrote the Young Ones.

Really looking forward to this. Not sure what happened to that Crowd-funded Doco "Imported" that didn't make enough cash either - about $25k of $35k they were after. Longley had some interviews that that too I think.

Reply #862916 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bumping this thread as a reminder

Reply #864547 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am surprised they got Jordan onto the show. As far as I was aware, Longley wasn't shown on The Last Dance because of some sort of beef with Jordan. But Jordan is now in this interview and from the clips, seems to hold no ill will.

Reply #864549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan won championships with and without Longley.
Longley never won anything without Jordan.
So take what he says with a grain of salt.

Reply #864550 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Lol Huh?!?

Reply #864552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Don't worry, ME. Anonymous never won anything without Jordan, so take what they post with a grain of salt.

Reply #864553 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Clearly the validity of opinions is rated on how many championships you've won without Jordan... lol.

Reply #864554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Kerr say something that the producers of the last dance didn’t want to go to rural Western Australia (where Longley lives or at least did at the time of filming) so that’s why he didn’t end up being in it. Plus I’m pretty sure by the time the first few episodes were out they were finishing up the last couple so they were on a tight schedule and combined with Covid there wasn’t really time, not to mention that no offence to Longley but he’s not exactly one of the key people you think of when it comes to Michael Jordan.

Reply #864555 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He was the starting center on three of his championships - he was pretty key. And whether or not they interviewed him is a moot point. They literally ignored that he even existed.

Reply #864559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and bill cartwright was the starting centre for the first three championships. The starting C could of been anyone and they would win.

Reply #864560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoiler alert. Longley will took about being the zen to Jordan's competitiveness. But the reality is he was a passenger and not as important as he likes to think he is.

Reply #864561 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Lol I love ignorant basketball takes like this. The starting center on the greatest team of all time had probably be able to play a little don't you think?

Luc Longley was an excellent role player for the team. Played good defense in an era stacked with dominant big men. Set hard screens, made excellent reads and passes. Chipped in with some points when he had to. Luc Longley wasn't a scrub.

Reply #864562 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So you're telling me there will be something actually watchable on the ABC?

Reply #864563 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think anyone wants to revise history and pretend Longley was as important as Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, or anyone on that level. But he was easily as important as a back up shooter like Kerr. Or as important as other role players who at least got passing mention. The omission of Longley was pretty glaring. They seem to even avoid footage of him playing where they can.

Reply #864566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So you're telling me there will be something actually watchable on the ABC?" Luddite

Reply #864570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, they didn't ignore he existed you can see him multiple times in the background of shots he just wasn’t interviewed. Plus the story of it all basically became a puff piece about Jordan and those who were personally closer to him had more involvement in it. Not defending the decision made but that’s what they went with in the end and Longley has said that he wasn’t overly close or had much to do with Jordan. Henceforth why there were was more time dedicated to the likes of pippen, rodman, jackson etc.

Also while he did serve a good role on great teams, it’s not like he was one of a kind, the team just needed a big body who was tough, could defend and rebound, which in the 90’s there were many. Could they have interviewed him? Yes but from a creative decision very few people other than diehard Aussie basketball fans would’ve liked to seen him in it so it wasn’t like leaving him out was some grave mistake. Naturally people want to spend time on the more well known people in the nba circles.

Reply #864571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For what it's worth, Bill Simmons has said the last dance was originally meant to be done like 15 years ago almost and he was approached about being involved. He said he saw the footage and loved it but they needed Jordan’s approval to release it which they didn’t till 2016. Upon seeing it, Simmons said that there was still hours of footage not included in the series so it’s very possible there was more longley it’s just his stuff was cut.

Reply #864572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's sad hearing that Longley took on an emotional burden throughout his career, and felt embarrassed about how it concluded. I’ve only ever seen him as a pioneer and champion of Australian basketball, I’m sure many others in the community feel the same.

Reply #864573 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My understanding was that it was mostly logistical reasons that kept Luc out of The Last Dance.
Given that all the other segments were footage interspersed with interviews, it wouldn't have fit in very well to have a segment on Luc without sitting down with him. So I never took it as anything sinister or snubby.
He played a solid role on that team but was by no means a must-include in the series, plus his individual story was not nearly as interesting or dramatic as most of the other guys. There's only so much to say about a low key team first guy who just plays his role with no fuss.

Reply #864574 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

I thought Luc wanted to avoid the last dance media hype as he doesn't enjoy it. I heard he changed phone numbers so he couldn’t get hassled for comment

Reply #864580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Avoids media hype in order to do his own?

Reply #864582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article sums it up pretty clearly

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-02/luc-longleys-chicago-bulls-legacy/100256414

Wasn't involved with the Last Dance, was disappointed about it, had to deal with significant interest anyway, any changes his phone number as a result

This doco seems to be somewhat a response to that, but also him making peace with his career

Reply #864585 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

I think I'll go with MJ and Pippen’s comments about Luc’s ability and contribution to the Bulls success over the hot takes floating around.

Jordan’s never been the guy to hand out platitudes cause he felt the need to say something nice about another player or teammate.

Reply #864619 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Great article - a few things popped out:

He's unlikely to run again due to ankle-fusing surgery he's had to rid the chronic ankle-pain from his playing dates and continuing to this day.

Went by Norman Gunston and Bruce Doull when checking into hotels on road trips.

Was a social glue guy for the team and got up to all sorts of hi-jinks with Rodman.

Didn’t care as much about winning but helping the Bulls win was important because it fulfilled his desire to be the best teammate.

Being a good teammate ... can never have too much of that can we?

Reply #864621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754