Peter
Years ago

36ers Sign Import Forward Todd Withers

25 year old.

Seems to have reasonable credentials

Topic #49062 | Report this topic

Shano76  
Years ago

Looks to be a three and d operator. Could be a nice pickup. I've bagged JVG, but it actually looks like a much more balanced roster. Here’s hoping anyway.

Reply #865549 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Teams shaping up good, just got to hope it all comes together.

Reply #865552 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

scouting report made in Europe.
looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgAt2Jmxsv4

Reply #865570 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

So this is the 4/3 most thought would happen? So maybe a 3/2 to come?

Maybe DJ is coming off the bench this season..

Reply #865572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the player who was an NBA 2 way last season?

Reply #865573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's listed as a 2-3, not certain he’ll play the 4. Still need a 4-5 back up, certainly if Humphries goes down.

Reply #865576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers - C.Henry
6'2 M.Mccarron/6’0 T.Dufelmeier
6’4 D.Hannahs(i)/6’5 M.King(ns)
6’8 T.Withers(i)/6’5 S.Dech
6’11 D.Johnson/6’9 E.Malou
6’11 I.Humphries/7’2 K.Sotto(ap)

Reply #865578 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

DJ is likely off the bench, this has been reported

This seems to be the Crocker replacement will likely split minutes at SF with Mojave King

Id say the ex NBA import forward is still to come, got to remember they may be in the Summer league and still wanting to have another crack at a NBA contract before signing, many imports are signed after summer league each year.

Seems like we are looking at a fairly balanced roster of something like

Humphries/Johnson/Sato
Import/Malou
King/Withers
Hannahs/Dech
McCarron/Duefelmeire

Reply #865580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From anon's link:

In Bologna he played mostly as power forward but I believe he has an even higher potential playing as a wing.
Doesn't look like he'd play particularly big. If there's an import to come, fine, but otherwise leaning on Malou a bit.

Can they sign 10 or 11?

King didn't come here to get no minutes. Only players you could anchor to end of the bench without repercussions would be Malou and Sotto.

Go all out and try for Baynes.

Reply #865583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King over hannahs

Reply #865584 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, agreed.

Was glaring how weak they were when Humphries went down last season. I wonder if it has anything to do with Henry, having coached most recently, closely with the NBA, being more on the side of small ball type styles. And in saying that, I realise that we have Humphries, DJ and Sotto, but despite that there still seems to be something missing you feel.

I liked the look of that Jack Salt.

Reply #865586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to sign a backup 5. In for a long season if humphries goes down again. Kai Sotto is a bum.

Reply #865587 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"He's listed as a 2-3, not certain he'll play the 4. Still need a 4-5 back up, certainly if Humphries goes down."

Take a look at a youtube clip, you’ll see he’s a 3/4, not a 2/3. Scouting report said he’s not a ball-handler.

Good size, athleticism and decent agility though. Should be that defensive 3/4 the Sixers have needed ever since Childress retired.

Reply #865596 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Childress didn't retire he just quit the Sixers after the Mitch Creek fiasco.

He went and played in Japan after that.

Reply #865601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YouTube clips don't show much, let’s wait and see. Still need a strong 4-5 back up.

Reply #865606 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Master Chief, looking at the signings this season and the way Henry has wanted to play so far, I'd say he’s actually the opposite of a small ball coach. He seems to emphasise size and defence and wants to feed his bigs the ball in the post.

With Humphries, DJ and 6’8 Withers at the 3, that is a Perth wall like starting frontcourt, or even a throwback to Connor’s time on the 80s Celtic teams, where Bird was the small forward at 6’9!

Reply #865608 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah my bad Zodiac. Couldn't 100% remember what Childress did after. Main point was we haven’t had a good defensive 4 man since!

Reply #865636 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

If our imports can play, we don't scrap any midway and the next import is a decent pf/C were looking stacked. Withers could probably play 2,3,4,5 in our league. Finally looking like a good competitive team.

Reply #865794 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We could do worse than bring big Matty Hodgson back. He'd straighten us right up but not sure he'd want to come back here after we told him to take a hike when we signed Froling.

Reply #865795 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We don't need a PF/C. We need a legit SF.
We’ve just upgraded the weakness of Pinder with Withers. DJ can play the 5 if Humphries gets injured/rests. Withers can play the 4.

Still holding hope it’s a 3 man out of the list already provided from last years two way players.
Bates-Diop
King
Brantley

Reply #865799 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I dare say Malou is the replacement for Pinder. I thought people were saying this guy Withers is a SF the replacement for Crocker?

Reply #865808 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Zodiac Withers is 2 inches taller and 10 years younger. I'd expect him to be a lot more bouncier.
Withers seems to value defence also.
We need a Hobson type.

Reply #865814 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Brantley and diop if one get signed will be our pf's.

Reply #865817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diop signed with the Spurs.

Reply #865821 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Zodiac, from what I've seen of his play, I think Withers will play 3 and 4, depending on matchups.

Hard to tell what they will do with the final import spot. Its possible they will leave it open until they have got a feel for how the team is performing and what weaknesses it has.

Reply #865858 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, that's a fair enough comment. I'm struggling to truly explain what I mean by that.. haha

Another flippant comment by me.

Reply #865859 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is this bloke starting caliber?

Reply #865866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Damon Stephenson that Kelly refers to in the media release, wasn't that the guy that helped JVG put together those poorly performing Kings team during Jeff’s 'error’ in Sydney?

Reply #865867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes he is. JvG does not learn from his mistakes.

Reply #865872 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm very critical of JvG but if the imports perform at even an average level and Humphries and co. don't get injured this so far looks like one of the best balanced rosters he's put together. Backup size is the one big question mark I think without knowing a lot about Malou or how he might perform in the NBL, and hard to gauge how much of an impact Sotto will be able to make right away. Those are probably the big x-factors for me, and if Humphries misses large chunks of time it could end up being a major blow depending on how well Withers can cover the 4 spot.

Reply #865970 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Those are probably the big x-factors for me, and if Humphries misses large chunks of time it could end up being a major blow depending on how well Withers can cover the 4 spot.

That's the problem "cover" Withers may be 6'8" but is a SG/SF and his rebounding numbers aren't great. If we intend to play this guy at the 3 as a replacement for Crocker okay fine but if we're expecting this guy to play anything other than spot minutes at the 4 we might be in trouble.

Reply #865974 | Report this post

Titan 89  
Years ago

so who actually does the recruiting for the 36ers - Henry, JVG, Kelly or Damon Stephenson. Everyone jumps on the media release at recruitment point for the back slap - once they arrive and inevitably don't work out, no-one seems to want to tale ownership

Reply #865987 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This seems like an odd signing?

Is he a starter or? I also don't see King being a starter - that'd be insufficient for a team looking for finals surely?

C Humphries/Sotto
F Import/DJ/Malou
F Dech/Withers
G Hannahs/King
G McCarron/???

Maybe this is the 11 we're looking for?

Reply #865999 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I forgot about Dufflemeister - he's the backup PG I assume

Reply #866001 | Report this post

Phobos 55  
Years ago

with this being JVG's third season at the Club, with little return to date, do people see that the 6ers will need to at least make play-offs for him to be back for a 4th season?

Reply #866004 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, Sixers fans need to see results this season. Have gone backwards three seasons in a row since the grand final in 2018.

JVG's first two seasons there were mitigating circumstances (2019 coach and club were at odds; 2020 covid and new coach) but it looks like the owner is spending and that Conner is getting the team he wants, so expectations should be finals at a minimum.

KET, I’m assuming Withers is meant to start at the 3 and play some 4 when either DJ or Humphries is on the bench. Could possibly start at the 4 against some opponents too, if we’re worried about DJ having to defend the perimeter too much.

I don’t believe he’s a SG/SF really. That sounds like aspirational marketing from his agent to me. Switch onto a SG here and there if necessary, sure. But he’s not a good enough ball-handler to want him in your backcourt and I think would find it a lot harder to defend a 2 than a 4. I definitely see him as a 3/4 based on his youtube clips.

Reply #866054 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

with this being JVG's third season at the Club, with little return to date, do people see that the 6ers will need to at least make play-offs for him to be back for a 4th season?

JVG is a part-owner of the club now and just bought a consortium of international investors in too so doubt he's going anywhere soon.

Reply #866059 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Even the scout mentioned above is a part-owner now - JvG has really intertwined himself and his crew into Gr4nt K3ll3y.

Reply #866066 | Report this post

Pallas 70  
Years ago

Amazing governance hey Perthworld. Looks like old silvertonge van gonigan is playing Kelly on a break.

Reply #866090 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" KET, I'm assuming Withers is meant to start at the 3 and play some 4 when either DJ or Humphries is on the bench. Could possibly start at the 4 against some opponents too, if we’re worried about DJ having to defend the perimeter too much. "

This is what confuses me a little bit - wonder what their plan is for the third import spot. I do think they need to have an import 4/5 as well. I really would send DJ to the bench IMO.

Is withers a good shooter? I think we need both 2 and 3 spots capable of shooting in addition to McCarron, DJ etc - if one or two are missing shots on any given night we need one or two others to step up

Reply #866124 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

KET just looked up, he shot 40% on 4.5 attempts per game last season, so you could assume he can hit the three.

Reply #866188 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nice

Reply #866208 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

KET, yes he seems to be a good shooter. He's meant to be a three and D guy.

We may feel differently about the frontcourt depth, because I’m a bigger believer in DJ than you are ;-)

I feel with Humphries, we finally have the defensive big we need to cover DJ and should try to exploit our opponents by having those two on the floor wherever possible. If DJ can shoot over his opponent easily, he will do a lot of damage offensively.

IF our opponents are too quick and expose the two big combo, that’s why you need a more agile 6’8 guy like Withers who can play some defence.

Obviously Withers has to be up to the task, but that is what I think the team is trying to do based on the signings and the way Conner tried to play last year.

Reply #866261 | Report this post

Dione 27  
Years ago

So ...…. Grant Kelly, 6ers owner has thrown his toys from the cot. After getting nowhere with his very public campaign to become chairman of the Crows, "because his family had backed them through thick and thin since they started" has now jumped ship and joined Port Adelaide!

Reply #867879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754