Isaac
Years ago

JackJumpers complete roster with Kenyon, Perry, Macdonald

The @JackJumpers have completed their #NBL22 roster after signing Matt Kenyon to a one-year deal, and Jock Perry & Sean Macdonald as Development Players.

Topic #49118 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A fairly uninspiring roster overall. If they finish anywhere other than bottom they've done well.

Reply #867944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tremendous roster with a top class ex nba coach, I'm expecting nothing but finals.

Reply #867945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply underwhelming.

Reply #867946 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

People seem to have unrealistic expectations for an expansion roster.
They will likely finish closer to bottom than top but so what they are an Expansion team.

Reply #867947 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

There just weren't enough big name local FAs avilable to expect much from the JJs this year. I expect much like SEM it's going to take them a few years to find an identity and start picking up Ws, but at least they appear to have put an entertaining team together. They could be better than expected if the imports perform, Magnay re-finds his form, and Mikhailovskii has an impact - he's probably the biggest X-factor.

Reply #867948 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Spot on Perth fan. An expansion team will always start behind the 8-ball in terms of establishing itself and accessing the best talent.

Despite the gloom, I suspect that their import backcourt will be very good.

Reply #867949 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Perth Fan

Well said, any expansion team whether it is through basketball, hockey or any other sport in that manner hardly succeeds. Most of these expansion teams don't get to enjoy success especially in their first season. Any success in a expansion team from its first season is already an over achievement. Hell, even the Heat in the NBA had disastrous campaigns in their earliest years and they are considered to be the most successful expansion team in American sports.

Reply #867950 | Report this post

We will play finals!

Reply #867952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM played finals in their second season. There was a a few good FA available, they just couldn't land any. I’m still expecting this side to get close to finals, if not they should have put in a few locals, as they haven’t it’s telling me they think they are on a winner. They have three quality imports an ex nba coach, nothing below fifth, sixth is acceptable, certainly better than both Queensland teams.

Reply #867953 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's easy to say that anon, but who is finishing 7-9? It's looking like a strong league top to bottom once again, and I don't think the objective for the JJs this year should be what position they finish on the ladder - it should be to put an attractive product on the court, get bums in seats, and try build momentum.

Reply #867954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops punters all along have been saying, it's about winning, that gets bums on seats, not locals that should not be there, I agree, it’s time to start winning.

Reply #867956 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

one of the few teams that i am aware of world wide that has been successful, i.e. making finals ever season is the Las Vegas Golden Knights Ice Hockey Team

made the stanley cup final in their first season

Reply #867958 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Grovermister

Thanks for sharing, I did not know that. Really unthinkable, imagine a New NBA team right now from Seattle or Las Vegas or something and reaching the finals? HAHAHA damn, what a scenario. Good for them man!

Reply #867959 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

I don't think they'll be as bad as the '99-'00 Taipans and '03-'04 Pirates, who only won two games each, but unless you've got a situation like the Titans in the NBL or the Melbourne Storm in the NRL where you're an official or unofficial merger, it's always tough for expansion teams. Unless, as mentioned above, you're the Golden Knights (still not sure how that happened!).

Reply #867960 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The NHL held an expansion draft for them - that's how it happened.

Reply #867968 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

yep, thats correct, perthworld, expansion draft was held.

have been successful since

be interesting to see how they go this season considering their biggest prized pick has now been traded

deeper talent pool over there compared to the NBL and obviously more money too.

Reply #867970 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Super strong league this year, no one specific team will dominate IMO.

I expect this JJs team to win games, but if they finished bottom or towards the bottom it wouldn't surprise.

They don't have a "franchise player" like SEM fell into with Creek.

Reply #867972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay and three good imports, let's not make excuses for them before a ball is bounced.

Reply #867977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and that's the point. Unless some of these "unknown" imports and NS are studs they will be also rans. 2 bottom me thinks.

Reply #867978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Golden Knights were destined to succeed with the quality of players they had to choose from in expansion draft, they also were given one of the best goalkeepers in the league in Fleury who was a 3 time stanley cup champion. Jack Jumpers have been given no extra help to build their roster although they should've been whether it was the best NS player or extra salary cap which isn't taxed.

Reply #867985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson would have this side playing finals, I'm expecting his ex nba assistant to do the same, they chose their players on the list, no excuses.

Reply #867986 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@985

Good idea man. It is fair for me to give new teams a bit more leeway, especially on the salary cap. It will make them more competitive, especially in their early seasons. Hopefully, this will be considered by the NBL in the future.

Reply #867988 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thought Mudjonja would have got a gig...

Reply #867998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out his game from weekend and that will answer your question.

Reply #867999 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I can't wait to see the JackJumpers first season. I’m thinking they will finish fifth, sixth, or even seventh.

Reply #868000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jackjumpers should have great games vs bullets and taipans

Reply #868001 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, it's all pretty underwhelming.

They needed to be prepared to pay overs for good players, and it just hasn't happened.
Guys like Newly and MacCarron went looking for the bucks, and JJ's apparently not in the hunt.

You can only have so many "end of the bench role players" and they have far too many.

They're relying on an injured Magnay, and three unproven imports. Their frontcourt looks pathetically week.

But hey, at least they have a coach and a full-squad.

Reply #868003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got 3 imports plus 3 players and a coach from the cats, they should be aiming for finals otherwise it's a failure.

Reply #868007 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

All teams have the opportunity for three imports.

Which 6 teams do you think they're better than?

Reply #868008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of them.

Reply #868009 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Name them

Reply #868010 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@KET

Lol, I really don't understand the NBL, I am only here because I wanted to share my thoughts about the Olympics and Australia is one of my favorite FIBA teams. I think he is trolling or maybe not? Not really familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the teams.

Reply #868011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenyon looks a pretty decent player from the little I have seen of him no idea about the other two though

Reply #868012 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Because our local, NBL talent-pool is limited, how about an additional import for say 1st, or even 1st couple of years? Wage of (any) 1 of the imports is not included in salary cap.

JJ's look decent enough, another good quality import would certainly make them competitive, which is the aim of any "help" designed for news teams.

Once again, and for the same reason that there just aren't enough top-level players to strengthen their teams, bottom side (from prev season) also gets extra import option (just for the 1 season, unless they come last again. If that does happen reckon you might not want the same 4 imports!).

Reply #868013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were players available, they chose the ones they got, Hodgson is still not signed, a few others decided to go elsewhere, maybe not enough coin or they didn't like the set up.

Reply #868015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok roster but needed a signed backup big.
I would have looked to asia or given nl1 guy a shot.

Reply #868016 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I wonder where Matt Hodgson will go?

Possibly Perth Wildcats or is he considering going overseas. My guess he re-signs but that's a long shot.

Reply #868018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Lemanis end up, maybe Hodgson following him.

Reply #868022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix, United, Even Adel, Ill, Perth will always be better than the JJ's, Kings.
Cairns crap, Brisbane unknown.

Reply #868026 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Of the rosters honestly this looks one of the weaker but what can you expect first year. They will get good crowd numbers hopefully.

Of the rosters so far IMO

1. NZ
2. Hawks
3. Adelaide
4. Brisbane
5. Jumpers
6. Cairns

Melbourne ??
SEM ??
Sydney ??
Perth ??

Reply #868042 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Hopefully the JackJumpers are better than the 88 Supercats.

Reply #868079 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Possibly Perth Wildcats or is he considering going overseas. My guess he re-signs but that's a long shot.

If the Bullets were that keen on Hodgson you would think they would've re-signed him by now. They've already got Harrison and have signed Jack Salt not sure of the need for a third big galoot.

Or Hodgson and/or his agent just overrates him massively as he was one of the five guys who initially opted out of their Covid-reduced contracts last year, spot the odd one out:

Bryce Cotton
Casper Ware
Nick Kay
Xavier Cooks
Matt Hodgson

Reply #868081 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I think Hodgson will end up in Japan.

Reply #868092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Roth.
"I watched everyone in the state, and I think there's some good players on the horizon and there’s some good players here," Roth said.
"The thing is, you’re going to have to earn your way to be a JackJumper. Just because you live in the state doesn’t mean you get to play for the JackJumpers.
“It is a process, it’s a path, it is professional basketball, it’s competitive. We want to make sure that we’re open arms and watching everyone and I feel very confident in the future, that there will be other Tasmanians that will be joining in this roster.
“You have to earn it. Everything I’ve ever done in my life’s been earned.”

Not quite sure what he sees in some of his Aussie content that's for sure, especially the last few selected.

Reply #868110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't blame Kenyon on Roth.
Just checked Nbl1 ladder and was really shocked not to see Ballarat in top 6.
Assistant coach with no idea and just helping out a mate.

Reply #868112 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Imagine the BS hes gotta listen to with all the locals & nepotism.

Well said coach Roth.

Reply #868114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there isn't a better guard in Tasmania than Weeks, they will get the spoon. The truth of the matter is he has selected his players and he will live and die by them.

Reply #868116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't blame Kenyon on Roth" Roth allowed that selection. Yes Dufelmeier and Mines are far better guards than Weeks. He will most certainly die by his selections.
Roth doesn't need to listen to BS and nepotism Orbit, he goes to the Chargers games every week and to Thunder games as well. The talent is in FRONT of him and he has ignored it. One player had a very solid and good workout with Roth in fact and was simply ignored. We get Kenyon and McDonald. As for Perry who knows how he was selected.

Let's not let your BS get in the way of the truth.

Reply #868124 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Believe Dufulmeier would have been a better selection than Weeks.

Weeks strength in the past (back when he played with the 'Chargers) was his speed, after watching him at the Breakers time seems to have caught up with him. Hoping to be proven wrong! Don't know enough about McDonald to comment, have heard a lot of positives re Kenyon.

As I and others have stated no doubt the weakness seems to be at the Point Guard and Centre spots, and yep there are a lot of money ball selections with players who will want to prove themselves.

To give the JJ's their due they are attempting to get involved across the State and in the commmunity, this will obviously have a flow on for basketball. More players and more demand for courts etc.

Actually like how Roth has said spots need to be earned not given, believe the majority of Tasmanians will be ok with that. Want a strong sustainable franchise, understand it may take a while but also want a competitive side. Pleased we have a franchise here and looking forward to the season kicking off....could well end up with a lot of games being played down here when Mystate arena is completed.

Reply #868125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he takes in Nbl1 games then how could he have picked Kenyon.

Reply #868128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#124, could not have said it better myself, Roth is picking yes men, it's my way or the highway. Kenyon got selected by Radcliffe, there is better guards on Ballarat roster than Kenyon.
Roth has put his team together, and ignored all local talent, I am expecting to be knocking on the door to finals as a minimum or it’s not worth going.

Reply #868137 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anon u sound like one of the parents with nepotism who didn't get his own way!

Well done Roth, get rid of the toxic!

Reply #868158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weakness at point? Maggette is a pretty experienced guard should more then hold his own at nbl level

Reply #868160 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Agree anon 160 - more a comment on depth, but yeah Magette has great experience and should be solid

Reply #868166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be toxic if they start getting beaten badly and numbers don’t turn up. The imports had better stay healthy and be A+ grade.

Reply #868168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick to stuff you know about Orbit. There are many locals that are keen to see the Jjs succeed but the side on paper doesnt cut it. Equally when will the season even start. They will love the extra time to practice. ;) Lets hope the kiwis get to play let alone those in Sydney.

Reply #868169 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Some unrealistic expectations for an expansion roster I think.

FFS just enjoy having a team back in the league and be patient, success will come.

Reply #868170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd expect the Sydney teams and the NZ team will play, it just wont be at home for a while

Reply #868172 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Perthsfan agreed, I'm stoked to having them back in the league and enjoying the ride. REckon the reality will be as usual somewhere in the middle between the doomsayers and those that are to optimistic. There is some kneejerk reaction on both sides.

Reply #868173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Perth Fan, all and sundry were saying fu.k the locals put a winning team together, they have now put their team together, I certainly won't be making excuses if they start getting beaten. You live and die by your selections, Roth has made his, failure is not be acceptable, certainly no lee way as he’s taken all his choices. Top 5/6 minimum. Tasmania hasn’t put a team back in to only see non locals lose, we could have selected our own for that.

Reply #868183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO perthfan. Chance was quoted in todays paper talking about finals and how he didnt come here to lose! So yet again stick to stuff you may know about. Chance and roth and Brookhouse are in for a shock me thinks

Reply #868184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly #184, they have talked themselves up and who was going to play for them since day one, unless you live in Tasmania you haven't got the info. Finals hear we come.

Reply #868187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone on The Mercury website posted this "Saves me having to buy a membership if they have no plans to even develop Tasmanian's. This is after all a Tasmanian Team. Maybe Scott Roth should not be our coach."

Chance said this. "To come here and start something from the ground up is really exciting, I had a lot of success in Perth obviously in the last six years and to try and translate that and take it outside of that Perth environment is really important to me and my growth.

"I’m really excited. It’s a great group that fits. That’s another big thing in the NBL, you can put all the talent on the floor you want but if it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t work.

“We learned that in Perth ... we’re trying to be elite, we’re not here to make up numbers, we’re here to try and win a championship in the first year."

Clearly he was an important part of Perth's program ;)

Reply #868196 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I have not seen any references to the AFL's move to finally oommit to a team in Tassie. McLaughlan(?) said definitely but, because of covid, did not know when. Sounds like we have 2 to 3 years to get the NBL up and running by then.

What happens after AFL (starts in Tassie)?

Does that help the NBL as we fill in each other's off-seasons, or does one (AFL) kill the other (NBL)?

Does it deserve a thread?

Reply #868198 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Geez your salty anon, don't think u should blame me u didn't get enough attention as a child!

Reply #868199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ pity you didn't get a brain as a child.

Reply #868204 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Geeez there are some anons with an ax to grind whenever the topic of the Jackjumpers comes up.

Some locals who are not being recognized?

Reply #868207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not at all Scout. You defend the JJ's to the hilt however you don't seem to think there is very much wrong with their player selections.
The whole premise of the JJ's was to be as local as they could be.
So who are the locals? Deans and Radford. Deans will never play a game for the JJ's. So no "local" players. Kind of pointless then. Build a culture. Well that requires players to invest in that notion. Pretty hard to do when many player are signed to 1 year deals.
Basically Roth has said that no true local Tasmanians are good enough. I call bullshit on that. No need for the smart arse comments from the peanut gallery required. Yes we have a side back in the NBL but quite frankly it's not what we were promised. Time will tell and when the JJ's are in the top 6 I will be the first to say I was wrong. Until then that's my 20c's worth.

Reply #868210 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon - how many times have I posted no depth at the 5 and point guard? REPEATEDLY, the list is not that strong I agree, what I disagree with is the negativity

Local discussion is your obsession.

I am local and comfortable with not having a heap of locals in the first year. I agree that Weeks could be replaced by Dufelmeir, yep Stanwix / Armstrong / Brown / could be there abouts. We do not have any Tasmanian big men which is another weakness of the roster.

Yep it is Roth's roster, yep he will live it, name the alternatives.

Reply #868212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie Barker for one.
Kenyon listed as shooting guard.
He would never be subbed on for a late 3 in any game at any time.

Reply #868213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next local player's to sign will be the 2 Armstrong boys. Could be early as next year.

Reply #868214 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep Lachie Barker and Armstrong boys would be legit additions no doubt.

Reply #868215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barker not being there ahead of Kenyon is a complete travesty.

Scout, what was promised and what we have is totally away from the original plan. As was said previously, Roth had better get this side going or it's going to be ugly, locals can get beat as easily as the players he’s brought in, Roth could be saved by imports, I’m waiting to see.

Reply #868226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'1 J.Magette(i)/6’0 J.Weeks/6’2 S.Macdonald(dp)
6’2 J.Adams(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’5 M.Kenyon/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’8 N.Mikhailovskii(ns)/6’7 C.Steindl
6’7 M.Mcintosh(i)/6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/7’1 J.Perry(dp)

Next year I doubt we will see mcintosh, weeks, deans, kenyon, mikhailovskii

Armstrong’s replace weeks/Kenyon
New import pf over mcintosh
A better backup centre, ns perhaps

6’1 J.Magette(i)/6’5 T.Armstrong/6’2 S.Macdonald(dp)
6’2 J.Adams(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’5/T.Armstrong
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’7 C.Steindl
(i)/6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/(ns)/7’1 J.Perry(dp)

Reply #868227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe but it's still a crap side!. Scout you should know the alternatives by now. As already said why Barker isn't in the side is ludicrous. Why is Dufelmeier signed by the 6'ers. Roth has seen him play and Tad is 3 times faster than Weeks ever was, a pin point passer, can play D and a far more offensive threat! It's laughable. Certainly hearing interesting stories now surfacing about what Roth's been saying about some of our locals too. You know the man you were in the Wrest Point box! Stanwix isn't up to it yet BTW. Armstrong's maybe but will need to be a lot stronger to go to the next level. FFS Johnathon Mines is an Aussie averaging 21pts, 4 rb and 2ast a game. Kenyon 10 pts, 8rb, and 3 ast.
Oh and the Chargers are equal 2nd on the ladder and Ballarat 9th. So why on earth is Kenyon even selected? Clearly no one else wanted him.
Unsure why Perry has been selected too. He never played in Hobart and perhaps Roth saw him play 1 game Vs NWT? If he's that good why didn't someone else snap him up before now?
Don't start me on Krslovic, Magnay will be lucky to stay for a season and if he does he needs to step it up better than he did in Perth. And so it goes on. Players that have a point to prove and a HC who is yet to prove a point.

Reply #868231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zac White is still better than Krislovic.

Reply #868233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most players are better than Krslovic. Unbelievably poor signing.

Reply #868248 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep as I have said about 80 times I rate Dufelmeier over Weeks, agreed. Not sure what local Centre would be in place of Perry - are there any Tasmanian bigs who anons rate?

Reply #868251 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Good lord u must be fun at parties anon. Maybe not having a team at all was beter for your blood pressure. Maybe signing a tasmanian coach with a view to having only tassy players would keep the peace?
Have a feeling Roth knows what he's doing so pop some valium & enjoy the game of basketball fella!

Reply #868253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Orbit are you the new KR? Roth knows what he is doing based on exactly what?
Please tell us. Yes he's had a few asst gigs and has probably coached teams with talent. Time will tell as I have said. he could be the new Henry Conner too.

Reply #868254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure where this should go but here will do.
$45 for a JJ's beanie!!! Who are you kidding.

Reply #869562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$90 for a Polo Shirt lol

Reply #869564 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Sick of the NBL merchandise. It's such a ripoff. Most of their merchandise is cheaply made. Disgrace what world we live in.

Reply #869569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ's got pay there high end Australian players, what you all complaining about. ::::)))))))))(

Reply #869575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Mcveigh have his own t-shirt line?

Reply #869577 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Years ago

There's a suggestion on Twitter, and on some Chinese news sites that Li Hongquan might sign with the JackJumpers. Would have to be as a development player though, so therefore seems pretty unlikely.

Reply #871020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Purchase signs in Perth. Another great player that Roth overlooked despite seeing him at Chargers games regularly.

Reply #871046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack is far from great at this level

Reply #871047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#047, you had a look at the Australian talent on JJ's roster. Krislovic now there is star.

Reply #871052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you signed Kenyon
A certain coach has no idea

Reply #871070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754