threeball
Years ago

Kevin White re-signed by Wildcats

Announced by the club:

The Perth Wildcats are pleased to announce the re-signing of veteran point guard Kevin White for another season.

White joined the Wildcats prior to the 2021 season, providing additional leadership and hard-nosed defence to the roster.

He's thrilled to be returning to Perth for a second season.

"We felt a little short-changed with how last season ended. We put in all that work and just had injuries at the wrong time. It was pleasing to make the Grand Final but not pleasing to go down in three games," he said.

“I’m excited to be coming back for year two, and hopefully getting to another Grand Final and bringing the championship trophy back to where it belongs.”

When the Wildcats suffered numerous injuries during the recent 2021 NBL Finals campaign, White stepped up, averaging 7.5 points per game in the post-season - significantly above his career-average.

His three-point shooting kept the Wildcats alive on multiple occasions as he went 12 from 28 over the six games.

Jesse Wagstaff praised White’s performance at the time.

“A lot of what Whitey brings is off the court as well. He’s a great leader and a great voice in the locker room. He’s a great team guy,” he said.

“He was phenomenal throughout the year and really showed his true colours in the Finals. He’s a gutsy player and he’s well-respected among the group.”

Associate head coach Mike Kelly said White embodies the qualities the Perth Wildcats have become known for.

“It’s great for us to have another backbone-of-the-club type of guy. A great team guy who has shown he can still do it, like he did in the Finals,” said associate head coach, Mike Kelly.

“I could see from the outside looking in that he was good with the group last year. When you can defend like he can, and you’re ready to step up, you’re an important guy in any group.”

Across his 39 games in 2021, Kevin White averaged 3.4 points, 1.4 assists, 1.3 rebounds and 0.4 steals per game.

The upcoming season will be the 276-game veteran’s 11th in the NBL, having previously represented the Sydney Kings, Illawarra Hawks and Adelaide 36ers.

He’s captained both the Hawks and 36ers.

Kevin White joins Jesse Wagstaff, Bryce Cotton, Mitch Norton, Todd Blanchfield, Luke Travers and Majok Majok on the Perth Wildcats 2021/22 playing roster, with Corey Shervill signed as a development player.

Looks like a one-year deal. Thinking his morphing into Steph Curry during the Grand Final series helped heaps – but I don’t expect that to continue over the course of a regular season. On the one hand have appreciated his workman-like effort and hustle, but on the other, still have memories of being wide open and shooting long-range airballs in crunch time.

Topic #49124 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was not a fan of White being brought on last year - but he shut me up in the finals. Deserved of another year and fits the salary cap bench requirements.

For cats it will come down to their 2 Import spots needing to be top class and at least more reliable scoring off the bench to replace Stiendl and cover an ageing Wagstaff.

I do hope Cotton and Norton get more support at point - they will need it.

Reply #868063 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

With 11 man rosters I have no problem with White signing.
I also hope he has more grand final type moments during the season.

Reply #868065 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The cats system is built for guys like White so happy to see him come back, last year he exceeded what he had done in previous years.

Reply #868066 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Norton. White.
Cotton*. ?
Blanchfield. Travers ( plays multiple spots)
Import* , Wagstaff
Import*, Majok.

So need two imports up front and two bench players of which one needs to be a scorer.
Wishful thinking on my part but would like to see a Next Star player too.

Reply #868067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Gleeson gone, this is not the year to go in with an undertalented roster - wont be a great look for new owners if the streak gets broken. Hoping to see Melbourne United style investment in players.

Reply #868068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Senator11 there is no guarantee your new coach will be running the same system especially with all your assistants gone.

Reply #868069 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'Senator11 there is no guarantee your new coach will be running the same system especially with all your assistants gone.'

I think the players know what works and whatever coach that comes in will have to adopt the style as well as insert their own nuances to the group. No way will the system change too dramatically in year one. Usually coaches change due to the current system failing, this is not the case with Perth and Gleeson leaving.

Reply #868070 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

Honestly if I was a club with big money to spend, and a historical winning culture like the Cats, I'd be throwing up the idea of getting an Isaiah Thomas + Demarcus Cousins as imports. The lure of winning a championship, and showing NBA teams they can still contribute to a contending team, given the season ends and they still have time to pick up NBA minimums for a shot at an NBA title, could be a win-win situation for both parties. The wildcats merch sales with those two names would probably double.

Reply #868071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let the workers run the show, brilliant

Reply #868072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way COVID is going in NSW/VIC and now NZ I can see the NBL starting before December

Reply #868073 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely not the year to roll out a subpar lineup, agree. Huge risk re: the long-term success of the club with the change in regime - it's a critical season to keep momentum going. Need a Mooney-level guy in the frontcourt at worst, and I don't think washed up NBA vets are the way to go either.

Reply #868074 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tbh I think there's a fair bit of scope for a December start.

October start would be scrapped already IMO

Reply #868075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now with a streaming deal - similar to other sports they will have to play to get the revenue. Dont think delaying like 2020 will be possible.

Reply #868076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney might just have to travel around like their AFL teams

Reply #868085 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It gels with what I've heard.
End of the day, Norton is the starting PG, and will play substantial minutes there. They're going to bring in another scoring threat. So they just need somebody to backup Norton.
Given they lost Dech, and Britt failed to develop, they're looking at either White or a new young kid.

White stepped up big-time last season when it counted, and showed the leadership he was hired for. Happy to see him back.
especially considering that with Shervill we already have a 12-man roster, and that's assuming we don't get a next-star.

Reply #868086 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Olympics are now over - when does Neilsen get announced as HC?
Surely someone is giving the nod to sign fringe guys like KW?
Wish him all the best though!

Reply #868103 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Now with a streaming deal - similar to other sports they will have to play to get the revenue.
What on earth are you talking about?

Reply #868105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if his old mate Joey will ever get a job again in NBL, or keep running that dodgy Transition program with Jantke?

Reply #868107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm starting to think Mike Kelly will ascend to the HC role.

Reply #868111 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Would absolutely love to see MK get the HC role. Lets face it - Taipans shoud have given him 1 more year to see if COTY was a fluke. The palyers sold him out at the exit interviews & made him scapegoat. Lets see how good Forde is....

MK all the way!

Reply #868113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns players didn't like sitting on the bench when they didn’t play defence or were selfish, not playing team. I’m waiting to see how Forde goes, still got some average players that think they are better.

Reply #868117 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

MK is trash.

Two wooden spoons in 3 years, that's Marty Clarke territory, except Marty Clarke didn't have Machado and Oliver.

Reply #868120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754